Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
How important are physics when you're just driving around waving at other cars?

You could just as easily do that in Mario Kart.

Really? So the thought of driving a car you're probably never going to drive let alone buy in real life on an open stretch of road where you can set the route (to a point) with realistic physics has no appeal to you?

That's pretty surprising considering 90% of GT's cars are road cars and proper driving roads are equally as fun and challenging as a track, if not more.

TDU2 Open World + GT6 Driving Physics = BEST GAME EVER
I did not even bother to look at TDU2 but I did try TDU1, not even the tiniest bit interesting to me. It had a couple of cool cars that were not in GT but as far as the game goes it would have taken a lot more than better physics to make that game good much less the best.

To date I have had 4 or 5 editions of TD and can't say that I actually liked any of them.

GT with TD physics would still be a better game than TD

I also agree that great physics do not mean much when you are just taking a cruise. When pushign a car to the limit on the other hand they mean everything.

I would have to disagree although td does have bad physics its all about finding your favourite winding road with you favourite car and just enjoying yourself.

I would have to disagree although td does have bad physics its all about finding your favourite winding road with you favourite car and just enjoying yourself.

And that could be an excellent "Real Driving Simulator"

TDU2 Open World + GT6 Driving Physics = BEST GAME EVER

True

The two islands + cars from tdu 2 like the pagani's, ruf's, aston's and others
Normal cars from gt5 or 6 + new driving physics and the awesome attention to detail that PD put in there cars AND NO STANDARDS

It would be awesome

To even suggest that TDU would be better than GT or Forza if the physics were improved is a joke. The game was not very good, I did not even last long enough to have an opinion of the physics.

I hate that type of format in a racing game and would never want it added to GT.

Andalucía / Ronda is the perfect place for "free roaming" - i.e. wandering about in an open environment. If you can pick and choose routes within what is essentially an open environment (obviously it has natural boundaries, and some imposed, unnatural ones, at its fullest extents), then there should be an option to drive that area with no particular route selected - i.e. as an open configuration.

That, in my book, is already free roam. If you want to add interactivity to that, or some kind of living world, that's very different, and is not the essence of free roaming - freedom of an open area is.
Whether we'll get that option remains to be seen, but it's the best way to discover where the best routes lie, so it's an essential part of the "pick your own circuit" mechanic, in my mind - I'd just enjoy the "side-effect" of being able to bimble around freely.
I hope that's the case too.

Agreed,couldn't care much about the physics ,it's about the vast environment ,Traffic ,cops,buildings ,etc .

Free roaming in GT6 won't need all of that if the driving experience and environment is that engaging which is not even close to a guarantee

I would love to have free roam in a future GT game. It would definitely add a whole new dimension to the series. I loved the open world of TDU2, being able to alternate between two islands. But the physics were so crappy, and that's why that game has been gathering dust on my shelf.

Although I love the idea, I would imagine it'll take an incredible amount of time to model the free roam world seeing as Kaz is a bit of a perfectionist (OCD-ish). I wouldn't want to go request in the forums to have standard buildings upgraded to premium.

"Oh hey! Sears tower DLC is out! Way awesome!"

I'm gonna have to settle with GTA5 for my free roam fix.

Sure, its basically utilizing what the game already has, might be interesting.

But we sort of have free-roam, all of those online rooms where no one races... isn't that the same thing? Would love it to be on real roads, but, thats probably way too much to ask.

Sure, its basically utilizing what the game already has, might be interesting.

But we sort of have free-roam, all of those online rooms where no one races... isn't that the same thing? Would love it to be on real roads, but, thats probably way too much to ask.

Open World Freeroam is exactly as it sounds.

You're free to roam anywhere in a large fictional world.

OWF is nowhere near the same concept as a "free run" track day where you're confined to an enclosed track.

Keep in mind that most games which do have open world free roam that is all they have, it is just one big map and then they use sections of that for the races. I would much much rather have the game the way it is than be converted to something like that.

As for adding it in addition to what we have already keep in mind that would take a lot of time to do, time that could be spent on other things that are more on target to what the game has been and where it should be going.

I have played several games with the free roam option and I actually thought it was cool on the first one I played but I grew to dislike it very quickly and now if a game features this I am likely not to buy it at all as I am more interested in closed circuit real world tracks and I definitely do not want to drive around on roads with on coming traffic on them.

I did take a shot on Horizon, thinking that maybe it would have some real world tracks in addition to the open world mode but was mistaken and ended up getting rid of the game within a week.

Maybe not a huge freeroam area but, linking the SS tracks or, being able to drive from the Goodwood hillclimb to the dirt course and the Goodwood circuit would be....good.

Keep in mind that most games which do have open world free roam that is all they have, it is just one big map and then they use sections of that for the races. I would much much rather have the game the way it is than be converted to something like that.

As for adding it in addition to what we have already keep in mind that would take a lot of time to do, time that could be spent on other things that are more on target to what the game has been and where it should be going.

I have played several games with the free roam option and I actually thought it was cool on the first one I played but I grew to dislike it very quickly and now if a game features this I am likely not to buy it at all as I am more interested in closed circuit real world tracks and I definitely do not want to drive around on roads with on coming traffic on them.

I did take a shot on Horizon, thinking that maybe it would have some real world tracks in addition to the open world mode but was mistaken and ended up getting rid of the game within a week.

I think you're letting your experiences with other games colour your expectations too much. Honestly, Horizon? Nothing like what we've already seen of GT's attempts at openness (admittedly, only hints so far). That's a modern (sigh) Codemasters game (progression, dudebro) crossed with an open-world NFS game ("tuning" and environment style / "interaction"); it's nothing like any GT game has ever been in style and approach to the driving experience. It's also nothing like Forza, hence it being a separate release.

Ronda is what we're likely to get to roam free in. Kaz thinks it's (part of) the direction the game "should" be going in, so you might have to stick with getting your circuit racing sim fix elsewhere - maybe in a circuit racing simulator?! 💡

As a final note, free roam does not necessarily imply a large open world. Simply open environments, like Ronda.

...I loved the open world of TDU2, being able to alternate between two islands. But the physics were so crappy, and that's why that game has been gathering dust on my shelf....

Exactly this.

But i don't think it'll happen on that scale inside the world of GT for the next 10 years at least.
And because GT is my favourite game i don't want them to change the recipe completely.

The best way I can imagine would be to have two or three famous open roads, where you can alter your route slightly and WITHOUT stupid fences, banners and spectators.
Does anybody remember Corsica or Auvergne in NFS Porsche? Like that would be awesome and should be possible.

strecke_corsica.jpg
NFS_Porsche_Unleashed.jpg

yes I second that.
instead of open world make the courses more open.
get rid of invisible waals and impregnable fences.

Which is what has already been shown (well, implied) in the GT6 teasers so far. ;)

I think i know what you mean and admire your optimism, but if waiting for the last two GT games taught me one thing: nothing is certain, just believe in the final product.

I think i know what you mean and admire your optimism, but if waiting for the last two GT games taught me one thing: nothing is certain, just believe in the final product.
What if I said that waiting these last 2.6 years has shown me that GT6 isn't in the same dilemma as GT5?

I have to say though, when Kaz let us know about the "Course Maker" and that someone can make a track in the town of Andalucia. doesn't anyone else know there's more to it?

Sure, I guess everything could change. We might not even get this new suspension model they said we would, either.

Shirrako
1000+ Cars, 50+ Tracks, Customization on all 1000 cars and free roam? we're demanding too much from PD guys.

Probably more like 900 cars total(instead of 1200) after you remove the duplicates

Back