Gran Turismo Sophy: Sony AI x Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Magog
  • 1,675 comments
I want to be optimistic but the AI so far looks very GT-ish. I can't imagine how things will change a month before release. Sure, they can use GT for research and amazing machine learning, as a player nothing new.

How can you be so sure? You know just as little as the rest of us.

Fair to say as a phrase is the same as saying that it can be logically inferred to be the most likely reason. They wouldn't just show them to just show them. This is the collaboration of multi-million dollar divisions within one of the largest companies on earth. It's not some youtuber trying to hype a pile of nothing.

Going to stay optimistic and hope that this does mean we'll be seeing notable improvements to the AI at some point. God knows the series needs it - and has needed it for a long time.

If it works out that it doesn't mean that, oh well! I'll be disappointed if the AI is garbage regardless of this partnership existing or not so it's not like getting hopeful is going to harm me. Fingers crossed.

They wouldn't just show them to just show them.
Not unless PD had a new release coming up shortly they wanted to hype...

Oh, wait....

Based on the lack of actual information and detail in the video (which has been on youtube since the 22nd of Jan) the most likely thing we can infer from the small amount of info we have is that it's part of sony's marketing drive around GT7.

Anything more is speculation based on zero supporting information, and until we get more detail that's all it is.

BTW - Sony doesn't even make the top 100 in biggest companies by market cap (and only gets into the bottom of the chart by two other measures).

Last edited:
Personally, I'm happy with any additional inofrmation about hte game prior to release so yeah, thanks @Magog for posting this.

Having said that, I have no real expectations as to what this will translate into as far as the game goes so I'll wait and see what they have to say on Wednesday(?) before embracing or crapping on it.

I want to be optimistic but the AI so far looks very GT-ish. I can't imagine how things will change a month before release. Sure, they can use GT for research and amazing machine learning, as a player nothing new.

It won't make it into the release version of the game most likely but will integrated into the game at a later date. But if they are testing it within the game as the GT drivers shown suggests that integration process shouldn't take too long.

I’ll say it’s interesting and I’d hope PD have something up their sleeve, but the sceptic in me says this will amount to nothing for us gamers.

As @Scaff said, this could be just a new AI developed to learn a circuit and be fast, then for maybe a time trial race for us to try and beat it or for online racers to compete against it for a show of some sort.

I just hope it’s not the other way around and PD have leant their expertise in AI to help Sony develop self driving tech for real cars!!!! That would be funny and tragic at the same time.

Fingers crossed but not hopeful.

It won't make it into the release version of the game most likely but will integrated into the game at a later date.
How do you know exactly what 'it' is to make that claim?
But if they are testing it within the game as the GT drivers shown suggests that integration process shouldn't take too long.
What exactly is the 'it' that you about from your secret source (because that video and the posts certainly don't tell us) and how do you know how long 'it' will take to implement?

Stop posting speculation as if it were fact.

Last edited:
swear to god the closer the launch date becomes coincides with how vague these hype videos are. what does literally any of this mean, and why are there super fast drivers in shot about AI??? so dumb sorry
It’s a teaser as far as I know, so calm down and wait till calling it dumb I would say

It's not 'clearly' anything right now.

It may be what you suggest, it could also just be a promotional piece leading up to the launch in which humans race a time trial against an AI that's been learned to be quick.
Yeah I think it's either that (no more need for Lewis Hamilton!), or, the AI will determine who you play against when racing online for tighter races? I know they already do that in GTS, but just the way they presented and worded it makes me think that.

Jerome

It's happening, boys. The AI in GT is about to surpass our wildest dreams!

And you were able to extrapolate that from a 25 second video with literally 4 words in it?

Amy Poehler Expectations GIF

Clearly this video is displaying a new learning technique pioneered by Sony.

They strapped Fraga into a chair, held his eyelids open, and showed him GTS replays for 9 weeks straight.

He now taps the brakes every time he touches an apex in real life.

And by magic, the AI is now classed as being as good as some of the best GTS players.

While i still think this doesnt have anything to do with GT7 as a game, a member in ResetEra found an interesting video showing AI overtaking research done by the University of Zurich and Sony (Presumably Sony AI division)

Last edited:
Uh... okay? I'd be happy with it not braking in turns on banked ovals or slowing down to let you catch up to make the end of a race close; but I'm sure that overproduced video will lead to something.
They didn't produce the video, that was done by experienced editor working with a graphic artist.
This team however: https://ai.sony/people/ really puts your comment into perspective..
For example this paper

Expert Human-Level Driving in Gran Turismo Sport Using Deep Reinforcement Learning with Image-based Representation

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2111.06449.pdf
By https://ai.sony/people/Takuma-Seno/

EDIT: GTplanet covered it before: https://www.gtplanet.net/pd-funds-gt-ai-learning-20211117/

There is another paper, about overtaking!! :)

By https://ai.sony/people/Peter-Duerr/
And Super-Human Performance in Gran Turismo Sport Using Deep Reinforcement Learning

Last edited:
Back