Gran Turismo Sport Comes to GTPEDIA

I’ll use this occasion to thank the whole GTPlanet team for all what they do.

On the forums, the guide, the events, visible or not, it’s a massive amount of work!

Especially @Famine : with Kyle now in his new life, I think we can’t thank you enough for all you’re doing to keep the front page articles coming as such a rate!

:bowdown:

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
My racing helmet's off to the whole team. I can't believe it's been over 7 years since the first version came out, but with the free update to the GTP store version (from my original 2012 purchase), I'm once again up to date.

@Famine is there a reason why the update doesn't get integrated into the main pdf file? I just got the newest one and there are 2 files: V1.0+V1.05 tacked on the end and a separate file for V1.07. I still have the original pdf from 2012 (376 pages) so I just kept that and the V1.07 file. I think that covers all the new content without doubling up unnecessarily.

Last edited:
@Famine is there a reason why the update doesn't get integrated into the main pdf file? I just got the newest one and there are 2 files: V1.0+V1.5 tacked on the end and a separate file for V1.07. I still have the original pdf from 2012 (376 pages) so I just kept that and the V1.07 file. I think that covers all the new content without doubling up unnecessarily.
You'll want @Jordan for that one. I just do the writing and numbers, he does the complicated bits.

Updates are published separately for two reasons.

First is copyright. A copy of the original, physical book is in the U.S. Library of Congress and is a registered copyright work which gives it maximum protection under the law. Changing the registered material is complicated and could undermine or nullify that protection. Publishing the updates as derivative works makes it easier to legally protect both the original and new material. Significant changes can also complicate ISBN registration.

Second is formatting. Any additions to the original chapters will shift the entire text, messing up tens or even hundreds of tables and page breaks, requiring hours of painstaking work to fix. That also changes page numbers, which means the table of contents has to be rebuilt and re-linked. Working with a very large document like GTPEDIA makes things complicated and slows down the software. The original book is 376 pages and the latest update is 174. That would be over 541 pages of complex tables and formatting, which would be untenable.

I just got the newest one and there are 2 files: V1.0+V1.5 tacked on the end and a separate file for V1.07.
At first I was a little confused by what you meant, but now I see update 1.05 was tacked on to the end of the original book file. It wasn't supposed to be like that. The table of contents links were also not working in that combined PDF, so I would encourage everyone to re-download the original now.

Hum don't know about software slowing down I just view in SumatraPDF ^.^ Uber light n robust

Especially that Adobe are long phased out I'm so glad I stumbled onto Sumatra and GTP!

Updates are published separately for two reasons.

First is copyright. A copy of the original, physical book is in the U.S. Library of Congress and is a registered copyright work which gives it maximum protection under the law. Changing the registered material is complicated and could undermine or nullify that protection. Publishing the updates as derivative works makes it easier to legally protect both the original and new material. Significant changes can also complicate ISBN registration.

Second is formatting. Any additions to the original chapters will shift the entire text, messing up tens or even hundreds of tables and page breaks, requiring hours of painstaking work to fix. That also changes page numbers, which means the table of contents has to be rebuilt and re-linked. Working with a very large document like GTPEDIA makes things complicated and slows down the software. The original book is 376 pages and the latest update is 174. That would be over 541 pages of complex tables and formatting, which would be untenable.

At first I was a little confused by what you meant, but now I see update 1.05 was tacked on to the end of the original book file. It wasn't supposed to be like that. The table of contents links were also not working in that combined PDF, so I would encourage everyone to re-download the original now.

Cheers Jordan, thanks for explaining 👍 I never knew publishing a book and then revising its contents can get so complicated :scared: I guess from that point of view it makes sense to publish the updates separately.

It's not my place to tell you what to do, but IMO from a reader's convenience POV I still think integrating everything in one file is better. Maybe all the content from GT1-6 can be bundled in one volume with a new ISBN (I imagine there isn't a lot more updates and errors to be corrected), and the GT Sport content is a separate volume that can be updated more frequently and freely, like the current system. Once GT Sport reaches the end of its lifespan and no more updates will be added, the content can then be added to the main volume encompassing GT1-Sport.

I also have the GTPedia Track Directory from 2013. Wonder when that will get updated? :D

Hum don't know about software slowing down I just view in SumatraPDF ^.^ Uber light n robust
Just to clarify, I was referring to the software I use to create the book slowing down as the document gets larger.

Cheers Jordan, thanks for explaining 👍 I never knew publishing a book and then revising its contents can get so complicated :scared: I guess from that point of view it makes sense to publish the updates separately.

It's not my place to tell you what to do, but IMO from a reader's convenience POV I still think integrating everything in one file is better. Maybe all the content from GT1-6 can be bundled in one volume with a new ISBN (I imagine there isn't a lot more updates and errors to be corrected), and the GT Sport content is a separate volume that can be updated more frequently and freely, like the current system. Once GT Sport reaches the end of its lifespan and no more updates will be added, the content can then be added to the main volume encompassing GT1-Sport.

I also have the GTPedia Track Directory from 2013. Wonder when that will get updated? :D
Thanks for your feedback. I'm surprised you would prefer them in the same file. Are you often referencing GT1-5 and 6-Sport at the same time?

FYI, you can combine both PDFs into one if you prefer. There are several free programs which can do that on Windows, and in MacOS you can just drag-and-drop the update file into the end of the original book text.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm surprised you would prefer them in the same file. Are you often referencing GT1-5 and 6-Sport at the same time?

FYI, you can combine both PDFs into one if you prefer. There are several free programs which can do that on Windows, and in MacOS you can just drag-and-drop the update file into the end of the original book text.

It's just easier to read and reference things if everything is in one pdf. With the current system, you need to check in the newest update file whether something has been corrected or not. Take the GT1 car list for example. Only Nissan is included in the updated file so I presume there's a mistake somewhere in the original pdf. But unless you've checked 1.07 first, you wouldn't know this and might just look in the original file and quote a wrong power figure (for example).

I don't mind if it's separate volumes for each game, just that the updated sections should be integrated to the original file (and not just added to the end of the 376 pages, which I think is what the combining software does). But obviously this has challenges with the copyright and formatting like you said.

At the end of the day I kept GTPedia more for collection purposes than referencing, and to support GTPlanet, so it's not really that big a deal. It's just in my nature I guess to see things organised and not doubled up unnecessarily :P

What happen? I purchased GT6 Guide+GTPEDIA January 2020. Still I have the email but all links to nothing. There was a separate GTP account for these and there it's nowhere to be seen

What happen? I purchased GT6 Guide+GTPEDIA January 2020. Still I have the email but all links to nothing. There was a separate GTP account for these and there it's nowhere to be seen
Yes, unfortunately the GTP Store had to be closed for technical reasons and the books are no longer available to purchase. If you've already purchased the book and need to re-download it, send me your order number or receipt via private message or via the contact form and I can send you another copy.

Back