Gran Turismo Sport Update 1.65

If the game is 112Gb then you need 224Gb AT LEAST for patches to work and perhaps a tad more for breathing room.

I get you, this is a ridiculous situation but I knew this going in and I have a 500gb ssd just for GT SPort lol....
I have less than 100GB of free space on my PS4 and my GT Sport updated perfectly fine...

...what?

I'm having issues with this stupid system Sony are using to update GT Sport (and apparently all the other games).

GTS patch is 3GB. I deleted COD Modern Warfare 2 Remastered just for it. That's 48.8GB of extra free space on my ps4. Did I manage to update GTS? Nope. Total free space on my console now: 82.11GB. What else do they want me to do????
Delete BFV? I'm playing it right now. Delete FF7 Remake? I play it from time to time. Delete P.T.? Would I be able to download it again?

Update: I don't understand the logic but I read here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/50gigs-isnt-enough-space-to-update.381510/ that you need the full space the game itself takes on the ps4 hdd to update?????
I see that GTS occupies 112.2 GB on my ps4 as of now. Do I really need that much to install a damn update? Are we being serious?

I'm baffled. It's the first time I can't manage to update/install a game, after deleting something else.
Yes, you do, and yes, we are. Sony apparently does it this way to prevent data fragmentation in the HDD, and possibly to extend the HDD's life. It copies the entire game while applying the patch, then deletes the old version - and it did it this way on PS3 as well.

PS5 games on the PS5 won't update the same way PS4 and PS3 games did/do, because of the SSD. There's simply no need any more.

If the game is 112Gb then you need 224Gb AT LEAST for patches to work and perhaps a tad more for breathing room.
I have less than 100GB of free space on my PS4 and my GT Sport updated perfectly fine...
No to both of these. You need enough free space for a copy of the game (and the patch), because that's literally what happens - the console copies the entire game while applying the update, then deletes the old version of the game. If you don't have that free space, it won't update.

In some very rare cases an update that is confined to a single 4GB data block won't need to copy the entire game. I'm not aware of this happening with any GTS update ever, even the tiny ones. It definitely won't happen with a 3.3GB one.

So, little update:
I didn't do anything since this morning, it just kept saying it couldn't install the GTS patch even with over 80GB of free space on my hdd.
Ok, I left it that way.
A few minutes ago, while I was playing BFV, I received a popup saying that the 1.65 patch was installed.
What? It was forced somehow?

Last edited:
So, little update:
I didn't do anything since this morning, it just kept saying it couldn't install the GTS patch even with over 80GB of free space on my hdd.
Ok, I left it that way.
A few minutes ago, while I was playing BFV, I received a popup saying that the 1.65 patch was installed.
What? It got forced somehow?
I would suspect the update system PD uses is full of bugs . They seem to ignore some things that should be fixed , like gas and brake inputs that work like real life instead of on off .

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet but you can drive the 1965 Mini Cooper S with Michelin race tire lettering in arcade mode and open lobbies if you practiced in the Nation’s Cup.
upload_2021-5-16_17-9-39.jpeg

I first noticed somebody in a Nurburgring track day lobby with one so I tried it myself.
upload_2021-5-16_17-10-54.jpeg

upload_2021-5-16_17-10-35.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet but you can drive the 1965 Mini Cooper S with Michelin race tire lettering in arcade mode and open lobbies if you practiced in the Nation’s Cup.
View attachment 1011379
I first noticed somebody in a Nurburgring track day lobby with one so I tried it myself.
View attachment 1011381
View attachment 1011380
You can do that with all Nations races. Good way to add lettering to various cars. Get an N300 car ready for that Nations race. It'll make your replica liveries a bit more tasty.
Just keep in mind, if you enter livery editor AFTER you get the tyre brand, you'll lose it. Again, make or apply your livery BEFORE you decide to enter Nations Free Practice. ;)

Last edited:

I get you, this is a ridiculous situation but I knew this going in and I have a 500gb ssd just for GT SPort lol....
Same here!

So to clarify, you need the space of the original game at this patch level, say 112Gb PLUS 112Gb + 3gb which is the size of the patch to complete this operation.

So for practical purposes you need something like 250Gb which is half the size of an 500gb ps4.

So to clarify, you need the space of the original game at this patch level, say 112Gb PLUS 112Gb + 3gb which is the size of the patch to complete this operation.

So for practical purposes you need something like 250Gb which is half the size of an 500gb ps4.
giphy.gif
To have and to update GT Sport, or any similarly sized game, you need 225GB of HDD space - 112ish for the game and 112ish to copy it into when you're updating it. But one can easily infer from this that you can only fit two games of this size on the HDD, at ~250GB each. In reality you can fit three, at ~120GB each, with ~120GB free to update any one of them at any one time (notwithstanding the space taken up by the OS).

For practical purposes, all you need is enough free space to fit your largest game into, and you're fine to fill the rest of the space as you like.

Of course external HDDs are now considerably cheaper than they were in 2013. I bought one of these for £65 (in a sale; they're usually £90), and that also has the benefit that I can just unplug it and plug it into the PS5 to take my entire library with me. Which I did :D

Last edited:

To me it's still a mystery. Read my comment above and on last page. Game size is 112GB. I had like 80-82 free GB on my hdd after removing some old games, and it wouldn't install the patch. But last night, out of the blue...and without installing/uninstalling anything else, I got a popup saying that the 1.65 patch was installed. Right now, after the patch, I have 78,76 free GB.

To have and to update GT Sport, or any similarly sized game, you need 225GB of HDD space - 112ish for the game and 112ish to copy it into when you're updating it.
I don't know if I understood your comments.
I should need 112GB of free space in order to update GTS, right? So why did it install the update with just a little over 80GB? (especially since I gave up in the morning. I didn't give it any other input)

Last edited:
I think something was 'inconsistent' with the way this update file was delivered to us users.

Was at home for once and working whilst I had the Ps4 on this time so I watched the download since I was expecting the usual 'forever' to copy the file.

The game surprised me by doing Download > Installing, it skipped the copy process completely and yes I have access to the Olympic Event time trial
and my PS4 presently has 20.2MB of disc space remaining so it should NOT have installed.

Cold War has an update this week, that should fail due to me not having space so I will see what happens there but I thought I read something about being able to pre-install updates for games or was that only for Pre-Orders, something seems to have changed anyway.

Just say the game is 112gb... the patch is 3gb.

Chances are the new patched game will not be *exactly* 115gb.... ie. 112 + 3

The patch may add things delete things etc. so its roughly 115gb i guess?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I've got this installed on my external hard drive on PS5 and it's asking me to make space on my internal SSD for the update.

Is this normal!?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I've got this installed on my external hard drive on PS5 and it's asking me to make space on my internal SSD for the update.

Is this normal!?

Yes, it thinks the game is not 'installed', you'll need to copy it back to the Ps5 hard drive to install it and then 'copy' it off again.

Back