• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Based on...
ERxS9U3VUAAtSu8

ERxS9U5UwAA-wpX

Turned into...
ERxOC_QUcAAzGod

ERxODAsU8AARkMI

Sadly, they don't share their 3D models at all, unlike the real ones, so this work became a bit harder.
Send these pictures off to Hammer Studios Gaming. He'll have an absolute field day with this!

The story of Nissan in the 90's is that they were going bankrupt.

Granted the world had been crazy for two door sports cars for decades.... you know how secretaries were supposed to buy '64 Mustang sixes...

So in the 90s Nissan built the 180 hatch body and Silvia coupe on two different lines (why?) and the 300zx AND the Skyline AND it was spilt into the GT-R and then there were breakouts like the Skyline sedan and the Stagea wagon.

So why would a car company buid three different sports coupes?

This situation ended with Renault and the world famous and now infamous Carlos Ghosn stepping in.

Now think of the situation where making coupes is a handwringing soul search like the A90 and the GT86.

The flip side is most car companies now sell half a dozen SUVs.

ERxOC_QUcAAzGod

I do love how ugly and awesome this is. Seen some crazy versions of this here with the RB26 5 spd under it.

Left my car on the livery editor for a bathroom break, came back to discover this......

No, the TV isn’t tilted, THE CAR IS!

Can you actually tilt the camera on the livery editor?

737D6EBF-01D2-4496-A457-D4D80B81CA90.jpeg

Left my car on the livery editor for a bathroom break, came back to discover this......

No, the TV isn’t tilted, THE CAR IS!

Can you actually tilt the camera on the livery editor?

View attachment 895233
You actually can, but too difficult to get an expected result.

1. Press R1 and R2 to zoom in on your car, and tilt left stick forward to raise the camera.
2. Then tilt right stick forward and you can look up.
3. Then look down with tilting right stick back.
If you don't tilt it completely vertically in Step 2, the camera won't be horizontal.

This is an example of this problem.
You can show your car cooler if you could use it well, but it's basically annoying when you want to place a decal on the back of the car's rear wing, for example.

To this day I still don't get why Nissan sold two versions of essentially the same car.

Car manufacturers offering multiple body shapes of the same models is extremely commonplace. You may have a point in wondering why the Silvia fastback had to be renamed 180SX, but that’s the labyrinth Nissan used to be at the time.

Based on...
ERxS9U3VUAAtSu8

ERxS9U5UwAA-wpX

Turned into...
ERxOC_QUcAAzGod

ERxODAsU8AARkMI

Sadly, they don't share their 3D models at all, unlike the real ones, so this work became a bit harder.
My favorite of the two on the bottom is the one with the Silvia front with the 180SX rear; the Sileighty.

What's the list of transmission types that could be listed under the settings menu? I think the types were automatic, manual, sequential manual, and CVT. Am I missing any?

Personally, I'm hoping that in the next game, we could have car-specific button mapping, and the controls will match-up with the fact that the transmissions are noted like this, so we could use the clutch for manual cars, for example, or not have any wasted buttons when driving automatic and/or CVT cars. It'd really add to the immersion, to have the transmission option (AT/MT) work on a car-by-car basis.
I hope that in the next Gran Turismo game, we'll be able to choose which type of transmission the car should have.
Manual gear, automatic transmission, CVT, or real true automatic shifts instead of "just" automatic shifting manual transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that in the next Gran Turismo game, we'll be able to choose which type of transmission the car should have.
Manual gear, automatic transmission, CVT, or real true automatic shifts instead of "just" automatic shifting manual transmission.

They could be in the form of parts/upgrades, whereas if you leave a car as stock, it has the transmission that the real-world car has. So you could leave an automatic car as stock to drive it with its original transmission, or in the course of upgrading it, you could add a sequential manual transmission.

Isn't that what a lot of car manufacturers have done?
From the top of my head I can't really think of any that have done it in the same fashion that Nissan did with the Silvia and 180SX (i.e two very similar vehicles sold in different body styles with different names, under the same brand).

From the top of my head I can't really think of any that have done it in the same fashion that Nissan did with the Silvia and 180SX (i.e two very similar vehicles sold in different body styles with different names, under the same brand).
I believe the old Pontiac Tempest ( Lemans and GTO) were the same vehicles with different names, in the same brand.

Similar to the Silvia being the coupe and 180 being the fastback/hatch. I'd have to look it up.

Edit: I think another would be the Chevy Chevelle and Laguna. Those had different front fascias and taillights and greenhouse.

Audi A4 / A5
BMW 3-Series / 4-Series
Ferrari 575M / Superamerica
Ford Mondeo / Cougar
Honda Civic / Quint / Integra
Nissan Silvia / Gazelle (pre 180SX)
Opel Senator / Monza
Opel Vectra / Calibra
Porsche Cayman / Boxster
Subaru Legacy / Outback / Baja
Subaru Impreza / XV
Volkswagen Passat / Arteon

etc.

Another example is the Volkswagen Beetle and Karmann Ghia.

maxresdefault.jpg

Toyota Mark II JZX100

maxresdefault.jpg

Toyota Chaser Tourer V JZX100

Every panel every light fixture is different. Same drivetrain interior on same platform.

There's no logical explanation why Toyota reskinned the same car. Except my eyes the Mark 2 looks much more traditional and the Chaser is just sportier.

I really like the Chaser. You see them around here and they just look so professional on the big JDM rims and the really well cut body design with no extraneous cuts or creases.

Its like a Japanese BMW e39 M5. Also frameless doors like a pro. 1JZ-GTE single turbo VVti inline six with the 5 spd man. Peak JDM.

Audi A4 / A5
BMW 3-Series / 4-Series
Ferrari 575M / Superamerica
Ford Mondeo / Cougar
Honda Civic / Quint / Integra
Nissan Silvia / Gazelle (pre 180SX)
Opel Senator / Monza
Opel Vectra / Calibra
Porsche Cayman / Boxster
Subaru Legacy / Outback / Baja
Subaru Impreza / XV
Volkswagen Passat / Arteon

etc.
Well now i just feel dumb.

I don't think you're right about that.

It's not a different body style. It's literally a sub trim of the same car.

The 550 was manual only, the 575 introduced more grand touring options such as all customizable interior, and the option for an automatic. The Superamericana is literally the convertible trim of the 575.

By your notion a 911 Targa is classified as a different model as opposed to a trim level. As is the T-Top for the Pontiac Trans-Am, the Targa for the Mk IV Supra, Spyder for the Audi R8, Spyker C8/C8 Aileron, etc.

Last edited:
It's not a different body style. It's literally a sub trim of the same car.

My point is that it was a version of the 575M that was named entirely different as Superamerica, and not 575M Superamerica. In 2006 I visited the Ferrari museum in Maranello, and there I stumbled across a Superamerica. I specifically remember talking to my dad about how the car more or less resembled a 575M, but on the museum floor it was simply labelled as Ferrari Superamerica.

The 550 was manual only, the 575 introduced more grand touring options such as all customizable interior, and the option for an automatic. The Superamericana is literally the convertible trim of the 575.

I only use trim as a designation when referring to different styling packages of an otherwise identical car model. It's not a term I use differentiate different model versions or body shapes of the same model.

By your notion a 911 Targa is classified as a different model as opposed to a trim level. As is the T-Top for the Pontiac Trans-Am, the Targa for the Mk IV Supra, Spyder for the Audi R8, Spyker C8/C8 Aileron, etc.

By my definition the 911 Targa is a version within the 911 family, because the Targa is a not a standalone model separate from the 911 range. Similarly, the 718 Cayman and 718 Boxster are different body shape versions within the same model range. This is unlike the previous generations of Cayman and Boxster, which didn't use their shared chassis code numbers as part of their official model names. So instead those two were standalone models just like the Silvia (S13) and 180SX that started this discussion.

Last edited:
With the news of Koenigsegg releasing their first four-seater, the Gemera, I wonder what models would be ideal for Gran Turismo? Here were my ideas:

CCX
CCX GT (Gr.3)
Agera RS
Regera
Jesko
Gemera

Although, come to think of it, it's not like Koenigsegg has a massive amount of models, haha. But I don't think they'd add multiple variants of say, the Agera or CCX, unless they were drastically different in some way. Sort of like how the two versions of the Lamborghini Countach are pretty different.

Back