Gran Turismo Sport has Sold Around 3.3 Million Copies Worldwide

Quite the opposite really. I’m just saying that you can’t pretend that games that came out at the beginning of a generation are in any way a competitor to games that came out towards the end, nor does that list prove anything substantial since it actually list games that really aren’t even racing games to the same degree, also listing games that where actually indie developed with little to no following.

:lol: ridiculous, where do I come across as a sim elitist, please point it out to me. I never once mentioned any sim or arcade. What a ridiculous jump for you. I like games, if they’re fun then they’re fine to me.

Quite the opposite really. I’m just saying that you can’t pretend that games that came out at the beginning of a generation are in any way a competitor to games that came out towards the end, nor does that list prove anything substantial since it actually list games that really aren’t even racing games to the same degree, also listing games that where actually indie developed with little to no following.

:lol: ridiculous, where do I come across as a sim elitist, please point it out to me. I never once mentioned any sim or arcade. What a ridiculous jump for you. I like games, if they’re fun then they’re fine to me.
"

"actually list games that really aren’t even racing games to the same degree, also listing games that where actually indie developed with little to no following."

Define to the same degree? As if implying Sims are somehow of a " higher degree" .

Whats so wrong about a game being indie ? P cars was an indie title. Does that not count ? the bulk of the ps4's racing library is indie as well favoring MY argument even more.

FYI I suggest you read the Wikipedia list, They are ALL racing games ;)

10 seconds of Google search half a year before release would‘ve shown that GTS was supposed to be a new chapter of GT and that it basiclaly ditched everything from previous titles :dunce: Your argument is invalid
The same Google search where Kaz said nothing has been removed - only new content added? Or the hundreds of Amazon and other reviews which shows people were expecting one thing from GT but received something else after they played it?

The same Google search where Kaz said nothing has been removed - only new content added?
Source?

Or the hundreds of Amazon and other reviews which shows people were expecting one thing from GT but received something else after they played it?
They already knew that months before release?

Here's all the info that was available ~ 1 year before release. Also it's been announced pretty early that GTS won't be GT7.

Source?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-lying-about-the-features-in-the-game.356834/

"In Gran Turismo Sport not only do we have all the different features that we had in the past titles, we also have lots of brand new features."

Kaz's statement was last year, shortly before the release of the game. So therefore that would
Here's all the info that was available ~ 1 year before release. Also it's been announced pretty early that GTS won't be GT7.
Source?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-lying-about-the-features-in-the-game.356834/

"In Gran Turismo Sport not only do we have all the different features that we had in the past titles, we also have lots of brand new features."

Kaz's statement was last year, a few months before the release of the game. So therefore that would trump everything that came before.

He said the game with have the different features (Time Trial, Photomode, Arcade, Replays, Online, Splitscreen) which was true apart from dynmaic weather/time, GT Auto with it's customisations and GT League which was rushed out after release to please everybody who didn't read what the game is about before release.

Also did you read this? Maybe things you (and other) consider as features, aren't in PD/Kaz' eyes?

Read the whole thread and not only what you want!

"

"actually list games that really aren’t even racing games to the same degree, also listing games that where actually indie developed with little to no following."

Define to the same degree? As if implying Sims are somehow of a " higher degree" .
the same degree being actually cars, and actually being around the release of the actual game being compared. There are games in that list that aren’t even circuit racing based games. That’s your own wrong implication that you made up entirely on your own, I was never talking about sims, ever, so try actually responding to what is said next time.
Whats so wrong about a game being indie ? P cars was an indie title. Does that not count ? the bulk of the ps4's racing library is indie as well favoring MY argument even more.
No, I’m talking about indie deva like you’d see on Xbox live arcade, games you can find for ridiculously cheap. Games that are in no way competition to the game your comparing it to. The list is filled with titles that are not going to be able to compete whatsoever in the sales market with this game.

FYI I suggest you read the Wikipedia list, They are ALL racing games ;)
I did, that’s how I found out it was a half ass attempt to put down a point, with little actual backing to it. That list is terrible for the point you’re trying to make. Joe Danger is not a racing game, not in any way compared to actual racing games like the one we’re talking about.

I'd love to know how many out of the 3.3m actually paid full price for the game. ShopTo.net had it at £17 from the start of and through to the end of January and have been selling it for £19 ever since, Gamescentre here are flogging it for £20 which is pretty dismal for a game just over 6 months old and Sony have put it in several sales on the PS Store since launch which would lead me to believe it just didn't sell well at the start. Usually if a game hits a price that low 6 months into it's lifespan it's an annual release game like CoD or formerly Assassins Creed or a game as I suspect with GT Sport not a lot of people were willing to pay full price for it.
I'm wondering the same. I've seen GTS on sale at MediaMarket, Gamestop etc. three or four times during the first months. At first I thought it was done to promote more sales during the Xmas holidays, but then it kept being sold for 39.99 (lowest price I've seen was 24.99 during a special promo at Gamestop when I bought it in March). There were also quite a few used copies (more than D2, surprisingly), maybe returned by people who were expecting a much different product (that was the employee's guess too).

He said the game with have the different features (Time Trial, Photomode, Arcade, Replays, Online, Splitscreen) which was true apart from dynmaic weather/time, GT Auto with it's customisations and GT League which was rushed out after release to please everybody who didn't read what the game is about before release.

Also did you read this? Maybe things you (and other) consider as features, aren't in PD/Kaz' eyes?

Read the whole thread and not only what you want!

Why are you trying to spin what he said. It was reported in the media at the time as him saying GTS would have everything previous GT's had and a whole lot more. In any event it doesn't matter does it. The fact of the matter is that many who purchased GTS were expecting at the very least a game that would be largely similar to previous instalments in addition to having all the new, online stuff. You seem to think that PD did a good job communicating the changes while I disagree they did. Both sides are irrelevant since based on what we saw at release a large percentage of gamers expected at least what previous GT games had. So yes, I stand by my point that many of them were duped, mis-lead, mis-informed - however you want to phrase it. And PD knew that quite well and hoped gamers would just go along with the new GT. Unfortunately for them gamers proved to be a little more sophisticated hence the backtracking by PD on the single player aspects.

GTS would have everything previous GT's had
He said it would have every feature, not everything. And he maybe wasn't 100% right with it depending on what he considers features.

The fact of the matter is that many who purchased GTS were expecting at the very least a game that would be largely similar to previous instalments in addition to having all the new, online stuff.
It's their own fault for not sourcing info regarding the games content or just waiting a few days until reviews came in (which they do prior to release anyway often).

what we saw at release a large percentage of gamers expected at least what previous GT games had.
Again, their own fault

He said it would have every feature, not everything. And he maybe wasn't 100% right with it depending on what he considers features.

It's their own fault for not sourcing info regarding the games content or just waiting a few days until reviews came in (which they do prior to release anyway often).

Again, their own fault

You're splitting hairs now. "It would have every feature, not everything"? And you admit that he wasn't correct in what he said. At least not the way it was communicated.

The fact is most casual gamers don't even bother with reviews. Heck even many "hardcore" gamers don't bother. I can't tell you how many times I've read and heard gamers say "day one purchase for me" when a game is months away. People hear the name Gran Turismo and they go out and buy. Same thing with COD, FIFA, GTA etc etc. And those are the very gamers who made Gran Turismo what it is today. It's not the hardcore, esports crowd who buy 5-10 million copies of any game. If Kaz/PD had announced in the general press this was online only, that local saves were impossible, many more would've opted out of the game. That's all I'm saying. They got lucky because most who bought had no idea what they were buying. And you really should be grateful they bought it or GTS wouldn't have sold 1 million copies IMO.

You're splitting hairs now. "It would have every feature, not everything"? And you admit that he wasn't correct in what he said. At least not the way it was communicated.
You said it'd have "everything" which would also mean we'll get any car and track that appeared in GT1 to GT6, any game mode, any photo location, B-Spec mode and well, everything. Kaz never said that. He also never said what he considers a feature :dunce:

Do you go out and buy (or pre-order) a car without reading test of it or sourcing any information prior? Try that with Mitsubishi's recent Eclipse and see that you can't expect the same thing appearing over and over again.

If they named it Gran Turismo 7 I'd maybe get your point, but it's pretty clear that you can't expect a game to be GT7 when it's not even named GT7. Did you expect Forza Horizon to be like Forza Motorsport just because it was named Forza?

You said it'd have "everything" which would also mean we'll get any car and track that appeared in GT1 to GT6, any game mode, any photo location, B-Spec mode and well, everything. Kaz never said that. He also never said what he considers a feature :dunce:

Do you go out and buy (or pre-order) a car without reading test of it or sourcing any information prior? Try that with Mitsubishi's recent Eclipse and see that you can't expect the same thing appearing over and over again.

Are you really comparing a car which costs thousands of dollars to a $60 game? Fine I get it. You blame gamers for not reading up on the game before purchasing. Let's leave it there.

Let me end by saying I don't see thing game selling much more than it already has unless Sony goes crazy on the bundles. Not many more people will willingly buy this game.

Are you really comparing a car which costs thousands of dollars to a $60 game?
I'm not comparing it I'm trying to show you a basic buying-process where you get yourself informed about what you'll get and not Rush B.

You blame gamers for not reading up on the game before purchasing. Let's leave it there.
I blame people for not sourcing any info regarding stuff they want to spend money on.

Let me end by saying I don't see thing game selling much more than it already has unless Sony goes crazy on the bundles. Not many more people will willingly buy this game.
It already outsold every single competitor and I actually know a few people that'll buy it once they can afford and buy a PS4.

I'm not comparing it I'm trying to show you a basic buying-process where you get yourself informed about what you'll get and not Rush B.

I blame people for not sourcing any info regarding stuff they want to spend money on.

It already outsold every single competitor and I actually know a few people that'll buy it once they can afford and buy a PS4.

GT has ALWAYS outsold it's competitors. Nothing new there. Let's see if it can get to the level of it's predecessors.

@KingFrog

Around GT5(2010), there was the most games out that year with 17, half of them being smaller time games titles that, while on the same genre, really weren't going to be competing with the sales that GT5 accumulated.

However, around gt6(2013), There was even less on the market(9), which you'd think should have yielded better results than it did. Around GTS(2017) we had 7 titles released that year, bringing back up the decline in racing titles we've seen in the past few years.

We saw 88 titles in the racing genre last generation, from 2006-2014 with lots of very small time devs/games. This generation we're currently sitting at 23 in 4~ years, but every one of them has been a major titles

What I think the difference is between now and then with these games, is that back then no one was able to get near the amount of content and features that came with GT5/6, so the competition, in comparison, didn't catch as good on paper and with the people. Now with the GTS release, we have many major titles either trumping, or running completely on par with what GT is producing.

He said it would have every feature, not everything. And he maybe wasn't 100% right with it depending on what he considers features
Didn't he also say that nothing has been removed as well? So that was a bit misleading from the get go.

Again, their own fault
Not entirely. If we take into consideration the fact that they said nothing was removed, and all features are there, then it wouldn't necessarily be their fault for actually believing that since it did come from the source, actually.

Well, you'd be quite wrong in that regard.

"Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added."
https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-pre-e3-2017-interview-gt-sport-features-game-series/

"
In Gran Turismo Sport not only do we have all the different features that we had in the past titles, we also have lots of brand new features.."

Not the same thing, whatsoever. If a company is selling a car and saying it has everything the last generation has, and more, but turns out that it's missing quite a bit of features from the last car, than that would be a comparable situation.

So if we go off the main source, who says nothing is dropped and only things where added, and that wasn't true, what source do we go off of? Are they wrong to believe the main person developing a game? The problem is the conflicting information from the legitimate sources.

"Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added."
Again it depends on what Kaz considers a feature, I wouldn't call 1000 cars, 50 tracks or the Moon Mission a feature but just content. The only real, big "features" missing are GT League and GT Auto.

Not the same thing, whatsoever. If a company is selling a car and saying it has everything the last generation has, and more, but turns out that it's missing quite a bit of features from the last car, than that would be a comparable situation.
My statement there was aimed at people that buy stuff blind, be it food, games, cars or houses.

Again it depends on what Kaz considers a feature, I wouldn't call 1000 cars, 50 tracks or the Moon Mission a feature but just content
I don't either, that's why I didn't say any of the things you just pointed out.

The only real, big "features" missing are GT League and GT Auto.
And B-spec, and the Course Maker, and dynamic TOD/weather, visual and mechanical modification. All it is was typical PR talk to make the game more appealing, and the typical Kaz vagueness that has steered people wrong for many years. Like you said, we dont know what he labels as features, but to be honest, that's just extremely odd to not considering them so.

My statement there was aimed at people that buy stuff blind, be it food, games, cars or houses.
I know what your statement was aimed at. It just didn't fit because its not the same situation as just changing over time - It's more a situation of things said that aren't entirely true.

Due to the comprehensive online component Gran Turismo Sport is the most I've ever played a racer. It's not perfect, but they are doing something right. I have no desire to buy or play other racing games since GTS handles my craving for racing so well. Reminds me of another Gaas title SFV.

@KingFrog

Around GT5(2010), there was the most games out that year with 17, half of them being smaller time games titles that, while on the same genre, really weren't going to be competing with the sales that GT5 accumulated.

However, around gt6(2013), There was even less on the market(9), which you'd think should have yielded better results than it did. Around GTS(2017) we had 7 titles released that year, bringing back up the decline in racing titles we've seen in the past few years.

We saw 88 titles in the racing genre last generation, from 2006-2014 with lots of very small time devs/games. This generation we're currently sitting at 23 in 4~ years, but every one of them has been a major titles

What I think the difference is between now and then with these games, is that back then no one was able to get near the amount of content and features that came with GT5/6, so the competition, in comparison, didn't catch as good on paper and with the people. Now with the GTS release, we have many major titles either trumping, or running completely on par with what GT is producing.

Didn't he also say that nothing has been removed as well? So that was a bit misleading from the get go.

Not entirely. If we take into consideration the fact that they said nothing was removed, and all features are there, then it wouldn't necessarily be their fault for actually believing that since it did come from the source, actually.

Well, you'd be quite wrong in that regard.

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-pre-e3-2017-interview-gt-sport-features-game-series/

"
In Gran Turismo Sport not only do we have all the different features that we had in the past titles, we also have lots of brand new features.."

So if we go off the main source, who says nothing is dropped and only things where added, and that wasn't true, what source do we go off of? Are they wrong to believe the main person developing a game? The problem is the conflicting information from the legitimate sources.

You seriously think the ps3 had more indie games than the ps4 ? Project cars and AC are indie games . Dirt rally was a low budget side project . Burn out paradise and Wipe out omega are remasters . Ride 1-2 are garbage indie titles . Motorcycle club was indie . That's already 8 games that aren't big triple A titles . The only AAA competition on the ps4 is P cars 2 / need for speed / The crew / driveclub .

You seriously think the ps3 had more indie games than the ps4 ? Project cars and AC are indie games .
I'm not sure how many more times I have to say it before it registers with you, but when I said Indie games I'm talking about games that you'd expect to see on Xbox Live Arcade and the like, I'm not using it as a similarity between that and the low budget teams that have produced some great games along side the AAA devs. Also, yes, I seriously think that the PS3 had way more indie and low budget games, because it was around for double the span that the PS4 currently has, and that list really makes it obvious. Going off the fact that you think the PS3 had a lot more competition because that list shows "so many" competitive games that GT had to look out for, I figured its something you would agree with.

The only AAA competition on the ps4
If youre only specifically talking about the PS4 racing games, NOW, I fail to understand why you'd even mention any other console(or even iRacing for that matter) when bringing in that ridiculous list that shows little to nothing valuable to go off of, with the point you're trying to make. Yes, there was a lot of racing games, but most of that list can't necessarily be considered competition. I would agree in the sense that they're all in the same market, but not in a sense that it may/may not affect GTS and its sales and/or scope of the game.

Either way for the major titles there's Need For Speed, Drive Club, The Crew, Project Cars 2, F1 2017, Dirt 4 on PS4. That's just as many, if not more, fighting in that same genre now compared to the past iterations. I also have no idea why you count the multiple iterations as anything but the most recent is irrelevant to compare to most recent titles, as is the opposite way of that. I'll say again, I think the difference between the past GT and now is that there is a lot more quality games coming out, matching, or even surpassing what GT is offering. That was a very hard thing to do in the past.

Last edited:
As a fully fledged fan of the Series...I'm not surprised at the Sales Figures.
I'm sure that I'm not alone in having bought every Retail version of Gran Turismo, in each of its incarnations/versions. :D In fact I've had to buy U.S. and Japanese Sony Playstation Games Consoles just in order to play this one Game!! :eek:
Because the Japanese and U.S. versions were always released prior to the Region 2 (Europe) ones. :banghead:

Despite devouring every piece of News regarding the game, at Launch I definitely felt let down by GT Sport. :(
Mainly because of the whole "online-racing only", but also because of the limited amount of cars and tracks.:rolleyes:

Even so I now have several versions of GT Sport (Collector's Edition Box set, Day One Edition, GAME Edition with postcards & the bog-standard version. Plus the Gold & the Dark Blue Steel books). Just because I like anything "GT" related.

Since Launch, PD seem to have listened to the fans and added the offline events, as well as more iconic cars & tracks with variants.👍

Whilst we'd probably all like more of everything, I'm a lot more interested in playing the game now, than I was at Launch.

Perhaps we'll need to wait for the next Gran Turismo (on the PS5 ?) before we get "real-time" variable Weather effects, blown tyres, engine seizures, deformed Armco barriers, etc., etc.

But surely it shouldn't be too Difficult to "add" say a 10 second Penalty for jumping a Standing Start, or Rain on all Tracks/Circuits with accompanied sliding and aqua planning ?

I'll say again, I think the difference between the past GT and now is that there is a lot more quality games coming out, matching, or even surpassing what GT is offering. That was a very hard thing to do in the past.
I don't see how someone could disagree with you about that.

In fact I've had to buy U.S. and Japanese Sony Playstation Games Consoles just in order to play this one Game!! :eek: Even so I now have several versions of GT Sport (Collector's Edition Box set, Day One Edition, GAME Edition with postcards & the bog-standard version. Plus the Gold & the Dark Blue Steel books). Just because I like anything "GT" related.

Good lord... Did you buy the digital version too?

The days of driving games are over, it's all about playing the most mainstream games available and screw everything else. I heard and saw people who devotes their gaming to just one or two games like Fortnite Battle Royale and GTA Online. Some jerks made fun of me for thinking that some mainstream games (not gonna mention it here) are overrated.

I remember back in the day where some kids played games from Midnight Club 3 Remix to Need For Speed and Gran Turismo 4. I even remember some kids including me that played Midtown Madness on the PC. Nowadays, the only games people play are either mobile games like Clash Royale and PUBG & Fortnite or Console games like Fifa and Fortnite...again...Like i said before. Gran Turismo sold well back then because of numerous reasons but people have moved on since, people have changed.

Midnight club: Dead.
Burnout: We got the Paradise remaster but no proper sequel.
Driver: It turned into The Crew which i'm not a fan of.
Project Gotham: Dead.
Ridge Racer: Dead.
Driveclub: Sold poorly to the point that the studio had to be closed down.
Need For Speed Payback: Mixed opinions, the performance upgrade sucks.
Gran Turismo Sport: It tries to be an Esport title (Sport mode) and a traditional GT title (GT Mode and silly cars like BMW I3 and Mazda 6).
Forza Motorsport 7: The same thing every two year...

The only thing that's good we got are Forza Horizon and Mario Kart.
I could not disagree more. We've had some outstanding titles in the last few years. If anything we're living in a truly golden age of race sims right now. Sure they might not sell in the quantities that they used to, but if racing's your thing then all tastes are catered for. Whether it's F1, Rally, GT3 and heck knows what else you shouldn't have to look very far to get your fix. The fact that I can drive up Pikes Peak on a console, something I couldn't even have imagined a generation ago, is case and point for me.

I have to agree with you on this. Young people are not driving cars anymore not like they were when I was a teenager. If the youth of our world is not interested in driving in RL anymore then driving games are going to take a big hit as well.

The love for the automobile is dying as a whole and it's really sad to see. Our youth is more intersted in social media as a way to keep in touch with their friends. The days of getting your license and a car to pick up your friends and hang out has almost completely disappeared.
I think sales of games car games in general will only get worse as time goes on because of this.
I think this was the reason why the FIA got involved with Polyphony in the first place. With declining interest amongst today's youth, motorsport would naturally suffer as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how someone could disagree with you about that.

Well, you can't really disagree with a personal feeling. If he felt disappointed, no one can really say "no you didn't" but I also wouldn't echo his sentiment. I was not disappointed in the slightest with GT Sport at launch. I was blown away by it and still am because it's the first console sim in a while that remembered to deliver exciting racing instead of various other things.

Well, you can't really disagree with a personal feeling. If he felt disappointed, no one can really say "no you didn't" but I also wouldn't echo his sentiment. I was not disappointed in the slightest with GT Sport at launch. I was blown away by it and still am because it's the first console sim in a while that remembered to deliver exciting racing instead of various other things.
Yeah, but @IamRobot was talking about a different thing: the fact that more quality racing games have been coming out in the past years. That's the part of his post I quoted and I believe that's not really related to how someone feels about GT S, right now and/or at launch. Personally, I think it's an enjoyable racing game but I spend most of my time hotlapping (I never touched Sport Mode), so my opinion might not mean much.

Back