Gran Turismo Sport Update 1.62 Arrives, Adds Toyota GR Yaris

• Thread starter Rangeraus
  • 270 comments
The Yaris is a quasi rally homologation special.

Its ancestors are the Castrol Celica and Corollas. I do get that ordinary Celicas and Corollas are boring just like ordinary Yaris's.

A car that weighs about a ton and is 4wd with a manual only and 0-100 in 5 secs. It's about as fun as you're going to get for the money.

Just think that the GR Yaris is the modern take of Peugeot 205 Turbo 16.
images (152).jpeg

(Technically Ford Focus RS did the modern take first with 350 horsepower 4WD. But most people seems to just gloss over it. Its not boring, I promise you.)

Given the state of British roads, and the always intrusive weather, there's an argument that for practical purposes this could be the fastest car one can reasonably use in the UK.

That would mirror the reputation of the 205gti and early Golf GTIs. With other hatchback entries becoming progressively larger, heavier and more lukewarm, there's certainly an argument that this is the hottest of hot hatches available.

Bog-standard my-mum's Yaris it ain't. People in the know SERIOUSLY want these cars.

The Yaris is a quasi rally homologation special.
It's extremely a rally homologation special.

WRC requires manufacturers to use cars that they've produced at least 2,500 models of in a 12-month period as the basis for their WRC cars. Toyota Gazoo Racing wanted something better than the existing Yaris shell, and it came up with this three-door design with an aluminium body and carbon-composite roof - which is 3.5 inches (9cm) lower than the original car - and the TNGA-B platform rear end to accommodate the four-wheel drive system better.

In order to make it financially viable to manufacture and sell, Toyota gives it a version of the WRC engine but at a more regular 257/268hp than the 380hp+ WRC version (and the nature of the power delivery and torque curve of a WRC engine is pretty unpleasant for road use) to make it into the hottest of the B-segment hot hatches - 59hp up on the Fiesta ST in its European form. That allows Toyota to shift them at £30k a pop (which people will pay for an Abarth 500, and that has no WRC titles to its name; the current Yaris has one and there's seven points in it this year with one event left) while making a pretty custom body for TGR to strip down and build into a WRC.

The regular car weighs a bit more than a ton, sadly. It's about 1.25 tons, but you can get a special RC model which is stripped back with competition in mind (Edit: Not as stripped back as I'd thought; 30kg lighter...).

Last edited:
You... do know this isn't a regular Yaris/Vitz five-door hatchback, right?

here in the Philippines Toyota has been making so called "performance models" of regular sedans and hatchbacks and those cars only have 10HP difference and some body kit and interior tweaks, so of course when I hear of a "performance model" that's what I would think of.

here in the Philippines Toyota has been making so called "performance models" of regular sedans and hatchbacks and those cars only have 10HP difference and some body kit and interior tweaks, so of course when I hear of a "performance model" that's what I would think of.
Heh, that reminds me of Toyota's TRD models sold here in the US that are nothing more than appearance packages.

With that said, the GR Yaris coming to GT Sport is a complete different animal from those. It's basically the modern equivalent of the Celica GT-Four.

Last edited:
Heh, that reminds me of Toyota's TRD models sold here in the US that are nothing more than appearance packages.

With that said, the GR Yaris coming to GT Sport is a complete different animal from those. It's basically the modern equivalent of the Celica GT-Four.
Exactly! I should keep in mind that GR is for performance and not some Ricer looking bodykits or ricer style interior color.

all members who read my post discriminating the GR Yaris, my apologies, I forgot that GR is performance and not looks.

Last edited:

you've described Toyota "performance" in just about every country save for Japan.

In this country the manufacturer has to certified every 'distinct performance' version of every car... you make a manual Camry? certify

you make a Camry with 10hp more? certify

you make a supercharged Camry? certify

that costs money they dont want to spend

This is typical of what we see here. Camry "RZ" which is an appearance package and admittedly they tighten up the suspension. And I think it looks pretty nice too for what it is too.

maxresdefault.jpg

Shame its 200hp FWD sedan.

So when Toyota goes out of their way and almost over the top with the Yaris GR then people should get excited.

Last edited:

You're Filipino too? Hello!

Maybe you shouldn't make the judgement based on the models we have locally.

Heavily modified versions of hatchbacks officialy sold aren't new. Ever heard of the Group B era?

GR has been souping-up Toyotas longer than you think.

Last edited:
you've described Toyota "performance" in just about every country save for Japan.

This is typical of what we see here. Camry "RZ" which is an appearance package and admittedly they tighten up the suspension. And I think it looks pretty nice too for what it is too.

maxresdefault.jpg

Shame its 200hp FWD sedan.

So when Toyota goes out of their way and almost over the top with the Yaris GR then people should get excited.

Indeed, I think younger people might get more excited with a zippy small hatchback more than Granny's sedan

Last edited:
Hope that 3-pot sound is good.

Hope I don't have to jettison another game just to update GT Sport again.

Cant you guys use the 'temporary usb hdd juggle system'?

attach a 250gb or more usd external hdd/ssd.

move GT SPort to the ext. drive.

Do the update.

Move the fixed update back to the internal drive.

remove hdd for other uses.

I'm one of those people who has a heap of external 500gb hdds from ssd upgrades on client laptops.

Last edited:
Exactly! I should keep in mind that GR is for performance and not some Ricer looking bodykits or ricer style interior color.

all members who read my post discriminating the GR Yaris, my apologies, I forgot that GR is performance and not looks.
In Europe and japan Toyota has a "riser" lineup called GR SPORT. They make small tunes and stylings for various models.
I Have a Yaris Hybrid GR SPORT. The extra parts are: special colors and styling, 17' wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres, sports suspension with SACHS dampers and solid roll bar, lower ride height, interior styling such as ultrasuede sports seats and a steering wheel from a GT86. The engine and drivetrain is kept without any changes with only 100hp/ 169Nm torq and an e-CVT transmission. And yes, it has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Still fun to drive. =)

Cant you guys use the 'temporary usb hdd juggle system'?

attach a 250gb or more usd external hdd/ssd.

move GT SPort to the ext. drive.

Do the update.

Move the fixed update back to the internal drive.

remove hdd for other uses.

I'm one of those people who has a heap of external 500gb hdds from ssd upgrades on client laptops.

You answered the question yourself at the end there. I only have two external drives and since they're connected to my Xbox and formated for OS X respectively, it's not something I'd be willing to risk.

Last edited:
It's extremely a rally homologation special.

WRC requires manufacturers to use cars that they've produced at least 2,500 models of in a 12-month period as the basis for their WRC cars. Toyota Gazoo Racing wanted something better than the existing Yaris shell, and it came up with this three-door design with an aluminium body and carbon-composite roof - which is 3.5 inches (9cm) lower than the original car - and the TNGA-B platform rear end to accommodate the four-wheel drive system better.

In order to make it financially viable to manufacture and sell, Toyota gives it a version of the WRC engine but at a more regular 257/268hp than the 380hp+ WRC version (and the nature of the power delivery and torque curve of a WRC engine is pretty unpleasant for road use) to make it into the hottest of the B-segment hot hatches - 59hp up on the Fiesta ST in its European form. That allows Toyota to shift them at £30k a pop (which people will pay for an Abarth 500, and that has no WRC titles to its name; the current Yaris has one and there's seven points in it this year with one event left) while making a pretty custom body for TGR to strip down and build into a WRC.

The regular car weighs a bit more than a ton, sadly. It's about 1.25 tons, but you can get a special RC model which is stripped back with competition in mind (Edit: Not as stripped back as I'd thought; 30kg lighter...).
Can you imagine if they make a limited run with the near-400 horsepower engines?

That would probably sell out in a day though.

I hope it becomes a reality though!

Can you imagine if they make a limited run with the near-400 horsepower engines?

That would probably sell out in a day though.

I hope it becomes a reality though!
No. It'd be too noisy, but also dreadful to use - massive torque, huge boost and ignition advance, horrifying cams idling at probably 2.5k rpm, and you'd need race fuel - and the service interval would be measurable in feet.

Latest Posts

Back