GT Mobile pictures (big update from reply #191)

• Thread starter Fruitcake
  • 223 comments
I beg to differ... they are pretty much exactly bullshots...

I mean if they aren't what is a bullshot? The models are too high poly to be PSP models (the wheels are obviously and while some body parts aren't as high poly as GT5 is likely to be, the curves are way to smooth to be PSP models), the rednering engine is not what the PSP will render, the effects are not what the PSP will do in terms of effects... at the very least it is WAY more stuff that is NOT from a PSP than stuff that IS from a PSP.

I mean we all agree that pre rendered FMV is a bullshot right? Well what is that? It's a higher quality rendernig engine, with more and higher quality effects, rendering a different and higher quality model than what is actually in the game.

Ummm... that's exactly what's going on here... I mean to get LESS GTPSP you would have to render a tricycle in a kiddie pool or something as really the only tie to GTPSP in these shots is the content (ie the type of car and the type of surroundings).

Again look at my pictures of the girls above, one is the same as the other right? They aren't bullshots... the prettier one is just the ugly one but with new flesh, new skin, new eyes, new hair, new figure, new teeth, new musculature in better looking clothes with better lighting in a nicer environement... it's the same thing, not a bullshot...

Come on...

I mean yes you could go FURTHER and make an even LESS honest bullshot raytracing some super high polygon model on an ILM super computer rendering farm or something, but as far as being a bullshot, these are absolutely bullshots.

Now as for why they didn't make a higher quality bullshot if they were going to bullshot anyway, who knows? Maybe they didn't use actual GT5 shots because they don't want uneducated people comparing GT5 screenshots with alleged GTPSP screenshots and saying "that's all GT5 can do? Not impressed!" Maybe they just don't want anyone to see how stunning GT5 really is until right up at release date, maybe they want the impact to be huge (I mean if you saw the same quality pictures 6 months earlier, it would steal some of the thunder of the release pictures - in short they don't want to take the wind out of their own sails) maybe they just hammered out a quick render on some existing engine and went with it as a quick and dirty... who knows... it's like saying "If Barry Bonds was going to take steroids, why woulnd't he take all the steroids out there in stead of just one kind?" Who knows, doesn't change what is though...

Fair point, well made. If it's rendered with anything other than a PSP engine - even if it has the same content - then it's not a proper screenshot and shouldn't be marketed as such.

However, I still think that the models were made for the PSP. Like I said, they look like they are of GT4/PS2 quality. And if Atari can make the PSP render an entire island, surely PD can, by reducing the amount of cars on track, squeeze out some PS2-quality graphics. But I dunno, you may be right. We'll just have to wait for the game to drop and see.

I've never seen that before:
nws12439373443009586.jpg

A lot of old/boring cars like Peugeot 106, Citroen Xsara, Mazda MX-5/Miata...
Would rather see some recent models :grumpy:!

Im surprised they dont show screens of the amazing cockpit view.

Great pics though, the game is going to be awesome for every PSP racer. 👍

Okay after seeing all that they just need to give me the damn thing...Wake me up when september ends....:dopey:

Those are sweeeeeeeeet pics. Everything looks so nice, deffinitely going to be PSP's best game ever, at least for the racing/sim genre.

Btw, the 6th picture from the end, that's Infineon right?

Hopefully this settles it... THESE are legit PSP ability screenshots.

BTW let's not get too romantisized with how GT4 looked on the PS2... while screenshots like this show it looked decent (and not anywhere near the recent bullshot PSP screens)

561066_20050104_screen006.jpg

561066_20050104_790screen017.jpg

These are pretty small and on any normal sized TV they were less impressive.

I would say these PSP screens are not up to par with GT4 PS2 screens but pretty darn good for PSP.

GT4 uses low definition real time environment bitmap for its reflections, where GT PSP uses very basic specular lighting as reflections... and about the terrains, GT4 uses more detailed textures with nice shadow&light special effects (reflection of the road, ray of light from the sun...), Nothing on the PSP release. Why? the PSP lacks power compared to a PS2. Simple as that.

GTM is graphically worse than GT4, but it's still the best graphics for a racing game on the PSP.

Hopefully this settles it... THESE are legit PSP ability screenshots.

BTW let's not get too romantisized with how GT4 looked on the PS2... while screenshots like this show it looked decent (and not anywhere near the recent bullshot PSP screens)

561066_20050104_screen006.jpg

561066_20050104_790screen017.jpg

These are pretty small and on any normal sized TV they were less impressive.

I would say these PSP screens are not up to par with GT4 PS2 screens but pretty darn good for PSP.

Anyone noticed how there are 5 cars in the track? 💡

GT4 uses low definition real time environment bitmap for its reflections, where GT PSP uses very basic specular lighting as reflections... and about the terrains, GT4 uses more detailed textures with nice shadow&light special effects (reflection of the road, ray of light from the sun...), Nothing on the PSP release. Why? the PSP lacks power compared to a PS2. Simple as that.

I realize that... I guess I should have been more clear, in the past bullshot threads many people were saying how those shots looked like GT4 or something... I figured I would refresh them as to what GT4 actually looked like and that it would give us a decent baseline to see what we can expect from PSP (ie slightly lower quality).

I just noticed the lack of the black bar at the bottom of those GT PSP photos. It is now transparent. That's great, now the game can take advantage of the whole screen.

Yes it was in GT4 as Bb (in PAL atleast).

Great to see Vehicle descriptions and history back again, if all the cars in PSP have it then GT5 should too.

Back