GT Mobile pictures (big update from reply #191)

• Thread starter Fruitcake
  • 223 comments
The most believeable option I have heard is that these are somehow replays from the PSP on the PS3, but to pull that off the tracks have to be absolutely identical (not just look the same but coded the same) as do the cars or else one engine will not reproduce the game properly. Remember a replay isn't an actual record of where every car was at every millisecond of the game, it's a rerun of the race, with any randomizing seeds kept the same and all controller inputs repeated (I can verify this not only because it's the only reasonable way to do it, but also because I have had one replay screw up where something went wrong and my replay car went into a wall where I didn't. For the rest of the race you coudl see my replay car steering and accelerating exactly as I did at that time in the race, but my replay car was just stuck against a wall not moving. The game was reproducing my inputs and expecting the race would play out exactly the same which somehow it didn't).

That's a tough one to believe as it either means the PSP tracks have the same level of physics detail as the PS3 tracks (again unlikely as the PSP doesn't hve the processing power to really use all that data) or the PS3 tracks are somehow scaled down in quality for these replays... Not to mention the detail in collision detection between vehicles.

And even if this was truely what these are, it would beg a HUGE disclaimer that to get these results you need a PS3 as well as a PSP.

Back to the prius, I could show a Pirus doing 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and then once you bought it I say "oh yeah, you nead a NATO rocket to strap to it to do that, but it's possible)....

Just go to http://us.playstation.com/granturismo/

First up scrolls two of the recent screenshots... then you see this

attachment.php

This is the official Gran Tourismo site, and they show these high res screen shots on PSP screens...

Can we put to sleep that these are not being passed off as actual PSP screens?

Attachments

• gtmofficial.jpg
    gtmofficial.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 184
sorry guys...by writing my post I had the pics in mind which were revealed later...
(but I think it´s confirmed by PD that it belongs to GT PSP too...)

Attachments

• ZR1_silver_03.jpeg
    ZR1_silver_03.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The most believeable option I have heard is that these are somehow replays from the PSP on the PS3, but to pull that off the tracks have to be absolutely identical (not just look the same but coded the same) as do the cars or else one engine will not reproduce the game properly. Remember a replay isn't an actual record of where every car was at every millisecond of the game, it's a rerun of the race, with any randomizing seeds kept the same and all controller inputs repeated.

I understand this. This is why replays were deleted between different versions of GT5:Prologue.

That's a tough one to believe as it either means the PSP tracks have the same level of physics detail as the PS3 tracks (again unlikely as the PSP doesn't hve the processing power to really use all that data) or the PS3 tracks are somehow scaled down in quality for these replays... Not to mention the detail in collision detection between vehicles.

Alternately, they could have a GT5 version on the GT5 disc, and a higher res GTPSP version in addition to the regular version, identical in every way except for the graphics, and perhaps off-track, thus inaccessible, details. Far fetched, maybe, but still a possibility.

And even if this was truely what these are, it would beg a HUGE disclaimer that to get these results you need a PS3 as well as a PSP.

Or people could be trusted to use their heads, and view actual gameplay demos, read reviews, and discuss the game with others, like we're doing now, if they are indeed interested in purchasing the game.

I understand that the possibilities I have presented in this thread are just speculation, but isn't the assumption that the pictures that have been presented necessarily must represent a desire to trick people into purchasing a game based on an improper understanding of its capabilities itself necessarily speculation?

Alternately, they could have a GT5 version on the GT5 disc, and a higher res GTPSP version in addition to the regular version, identical in every way except for the graphics, and perhaps off-track, thus inaccessible, details. Far fetched, maybe, but still a possibility.

Far fetched yes.

Possible yes.

Within any kind of reason? No... not really... the amount of work that would take just doesn't make it feasible. I mean PD are pretty good about packing in the content, but that's just so far outside of cost effective it makes no sense.

Or people could be trusted to use their heads, and view actual gameplay demos, read reviews, and discuss the game with others, like we're doing now, if they are indeed interested in purchasing the game.

I understand that the possibilities I have presented in this thread are just speculation, but isn't the assumption that the pictures that have been presented necessarily must represent a desire to trick people into purchasing a game based on an improper understanding of its capabilities itself necessarily speculation?

Screenshots are released for a reason: Advertising.

Advertising that is not accurate is false advertising and is frowned on for a reason... people need to be able to trust that what they see is a reasonable faximilly of what they will get.

I mean you go to IGN.com and look at their PSP screenshots, you see these high res shots... you got to the official GT page and these shots are shown plastered onto PSPs as if they are actual screens.

The expectation that people research advertising to see if it's accurate is something that we as a society have decided is not ethical. That's why false advertising laws exist.

Look at the comments of any busy site showing these pics, infallibly a noteable percentage of people respond with:

"Wow! Those graphics are amazing! I am buying a PSP for this game!"

Sure some of us can see through it and point out the obvious flaws, but no one can legitimately argue that it's ok because of that. Can you advertise a cancer curing pill and rely on people to research and find out there is no medicine that just cures cancer on their own before buying your product? No...

You can make excuses for it all you want and come up with long shot possiblities to explain it away... but at the end of the day it comes down to some very ethically questionable moves releasing photos like this, lableing them as GT PSP and not putting up any disclaimers as to how these aren't what you will be seeing when you play.

I mean it's bad enough when a game is promoted based on it's FMV cutscenese alone... but at least you WILL get to see those when you play, these graphics will not be on anyones PSP.

And again, if these require a PS3 to see, that's a pretty big thing to just not mention... prius without a NATO rocket anyone?

Advertising that is not accurate is false advertising and is frowned on for a reason... people need to be able to trust that what they see is a reasonable faximilly of what they will get.

I mean you go to IGN.com and look at their PSP screenshots, you see these high res shots... you got to the official GT page and these shots are shown plastered onto PSPs as if they are actual screens.

The expectation that people research advertising to see if it's accurate is something that we as a society have decided is not ethical. That's why false advertising laws exist.

Look at the comments of any busy site showing these pics, infallibly a noteable percentage of people respond with:

Sure some of us can see through it and point out the obvious flaws, but no one can legitimately argue that it's ok because of that. Can you advertise a cancer curing pill and rely on people to research and find out there is no medicine that just cures cancer on their own before buying your product? No...

You can make excuses for it all you want and come up with long shot possiblities to explain it away... but at the end of the day it comes down to some very ethically questionable moves releasing photos like this, lableing them as GT PSP and not putting up any disclaimers as to how these aren't what you will be seeing when you play.

I mean it's bad enough when a game is promoted based on it's FMV cutscenese alone... but at least you WILL get to see those when you play, these graphics will not be on anyones PSP.

And again, if these require a PS3 to see, that's a pretty big thing to just not mention... prius without a NATO rocket anyone?

So true... I agree a 1000 times.

Last edited:
Far fetched yes.

Possible yes.

Within any kind of reason? No... not really... the amount of work that would take just doesn't make it feasible. I mean PD are pretty good about packing in the content, but that's just so far outside of cost effective it makes no sense.

Really? The tracks in GT PSP seem to be ports of GT4 tracks (or the cancelled GT:HD). Perhaps they found a way to use the versions of the tracks produced for the GT:HD project that would allow them to have some use as opposed to being simply trashed, and decided to make lower res versions for use on PSP gameplay, and higher res versions for GT5. This would result in three versions of each track. To illustrate:

Code:
                           /(Even higher res)--> GT5
GT4 (higher res)--> GT:HD (project cancelled) --> GTPSP Replay Theater on PS3
      \(lower res)-->         or       \(lower res)--> GTPSP

Screenshots are released for a reason: Advertising.

I agree.

I agree, but would replace 'need' with 'ought.'

In this case, there remains the possibility of an extra, as of yet unannounced, mode, which would mean the screenshots may be accurate, for that mode. If there is no correlating mode (which I actually don't expect), then I agree, shame on PD/Sony.

Ah, using the s-word on me.

What, exactly, is society? Am I a part of society? Assuming that I am, why was I not asked for my input on these false advertising, or any other, laws? Assuming a representative democracy is making the laws, and I am supposed to voice my input through my elected representatives; what if every single person I vote for loses, every single time, and I therefore have no representative in congress (or any other governmental body), or if I stop voting because I know that either my candidates cannot win or that there are no candidates that even remotely represent my political opinions? Who speaks for me? What if the measures that I would ask of my district's congressman are beyond his willingness to consider? Am I still a part of this "society," even when there is literally no way to express my political opinion and have it become a part of law?

On another, entirely different, hand, let's discuss false advertising laws. This article discusses bullshots, why they are here, why they may be declining in the future, etc., but more importantly for our discussion, that they're still a reality, and though not respected, are here to stay for the time being. Since no publisher, to my knowledge, has been prosecuted for false advertising in the video game industry, what purpose are these laws currently serving? How many of the same people who take bullshots at face value do so knowing that if the screenshots were false advertising, the publishers responsible would be prosecuted? How many have been tricked by this false sense of security?

When the FDA approves a drug, there are a great deal of people who take it for granted that these new medicines or products are necessarily safe. For instance, there are already over 750 products this year that the FDA has had to issue a recall or health alert for, meaning they're taking away their stamp of approval after these products have proven to be a health risk. How many people have had their health adversely affected, or have even been killed, because they thought they were being protected by the FDA? So, even in the health industry, even when we have laws against false advertising, and even when we have an organization set up to try to prevent the production and use of dangerous drugs/etc., it is still prudent to check out medicines and foods before you use them, or else you could be seriously harmed, or worse, even as folks have a false sense of security, believing that the FDA is protecting them.

Making excuses? I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate with you, but also trying point out that screenshots like the ones in this thread aren't always false advertising. :P

Speaking of advertising using FMV for promotion, the Final Fantasy VII commercials are hilarious.

And again, if these require a PS3 to see, that's a pretty big thing to just not mention...

I do agree with you here. As mentioned earlier, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate, and I will be disappointed if these screenshots turn out to be nothing but conspicuous bullshots.

Really? The tracks in GT PSP seem to be ports of GT4 tracks (or the cancelled GT:HD). Perhaps they found a way to use the versions of the tracks produced for the GT:HD project that would allow them to have some use as opposed to being simply trashed, and decided to make lower res versions for use on PSP gameplay, and higher res versions for GT5. This would result in three versions of each track. To illustrate:

Code:
                           /(Even higher res)--> GT5
GT4 (higher res)--> GT:HD (project cancelled) --> GTPSP Replay Theater on PS3
      \(lower res)-->         or       \(lower res)--> GTPSP

The amount of work that it would take to pull this off is not trivial.

It's not just a matter of texture resolution, it's a matter of what is coded into the track from physics properties to simple detail level.

In order for a repeate of inputs to produce the same results, the interactions between the car and the track must be aboslutley the same. If the track is slightly different, the results will be different. An exagerated analogy would be the totally flat track of Pole Position and tracks of more modern (but still 2d racers) that have some physics propteries built in. Even if the tracks have the exact same turns and lengths, repeating inputs will not result in the same results as one on track, some things will happen differnetly.

We are talking porting an entire physics engine over to the PS3 along with all the track physics just so show the replays with more flash... ignore the fact that any differences in game engines have to be overcome for this replay engine (ie things that exists on one platform and not another like damage control or open wheel collisions).

The myriad of potential problems that comes from trying to pull something like this off puts the idea beyond the realm of unlikely right into just a plain bad idea.

Bar from that that such something requiring so much manpower and with such a stunning result would be still not mentioned anywhere 2 months before release and I believe it's even after the code has been finalized... and remember, as shown in the webpage screenshot above, these shots are actually being portrayed on the PSP screen... not on some other console or on a TV outside the PSP...

In this case, there remains the possibility of an extra, as of yet unannounced, mode, which would mean the screenshots may be accurate, for that mode. If there is no correlating mode (which I actually don't expect), then I agree, shame on PD/Sony.

Well there is no way to know 100% until the game is released. In fact there is no way to know until someone decompiles all the game code and is aboslutley positilve, because in theory it could be a special mode, carefully hidden and only unlocked afte you race 453 billion races without touching another car in a row in reverse the whole way with a cappucino and place your race times must add up to a prime number.

Anythings possible.

If you want to go down that road, go ahead, it's not one I will go down with you.

Realistically, though, the chances of this being anything other than fakery are trivial at best.

What, exactly, is society? Am I a part of society? Assuming that I am, why was I not asked for my input on these false advertising, or any other, laws? Assuming a representative democracy is making the laws, and I am supposed to voice my input through my elected representatives; what if every single person I vote for loses, every single time, and I therefore have no representative in congress (or any other governmental body), or if I stop voting because I know that either my candidates cannot win or that there are no candidates that even remotely represent my political opinions? Who speaks for me? What if the measures that I would ask of my district's congressman are beyond his willingness to consider? Am I still a part of this "society," even when there is literally no way to express my political opinion and have it become a part of law?

Yes you are still part of society, but a statisically unimportant part and your desires are thus trivial. Kind of like the possibility that these pictures are really GT PSP.

On another, entirely different, hand, let's discuss false advertising laws.

No let's not and just go ahead with the reasonable generalization that none of us like being lied to nor do we like false advertising. Does that not accurately describe you? Sorry, you are a trivial and statisically unimportant part of the equation then.

When the FDA approves a drug, there are a great deal of people who take it for granted that these new medicines or products are necessarily safe. For instance, there are already over 750 products this year that the FDA has had to issue a recall or health alert for, meaning they're taking away their stamp of approval after these products have proven to be a health risk. How many people have had their health adversely affected, or have even been killed, because they thought they were being protected by the FDA? So, even in the health industry, even when we have laws against false advertising, and even when we have an organization set up to try to prevent the production and use of dangerous drugs/etc., it is still prudent to check out medicines and foods before you use them, or else you could be seriously harmed, or worse, even as folks have a false sense of security, believing that the FDA is protecting them.

Difference is FDA ensures that the claims the drugs makes are reasonably accurate. Discovering fatal characteristics down the line is not analogus to these bullshots.

If you wanted to make it analogus, finding out drugs can be fatal would be somewhat equivalent to finding out that these screenshots somehow break your PSP after a certain amount of use. That would assume these screenshots actually are accurate representations of what you will see on the PSP in the first place.

So sorry, your analogy is flawed, FDA discovering a drug has side effects is not the same as FDA allowing a drug to make false claims, which is the analgoy of what is happening here.

Making excuses? I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate with you, but also trying point out that screenshots like the ones in this thread aren't always false advertising. :P

Who was talking about always? We are talking about here and now and these screenshots.

Go ahead and play devils advocate, but the only time is of any value (including entertainment value) to play devils advocate is when the devil actually has a decent platform to stand on. When the devil is just blowing hot air, it's of no value at all.

I do agree with you here. As mentioned earlier, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate, and I will be disappointed if these screenshots turn out to be nothing but conspicuous bullshots.

I would brace yourself for some pretty severe dissapointment...

Last edited:

So, I'm afraid you WILL BE disappointed, my friend, because there is NO WAY that these bullshots are representative of what you will actually play in October. I'm a professional graphic designer and for me it's just common sense if you already know what can be done on a PSP. Few games already pushed the graphic limitations without to close 1/10th of the quality of these bullshots... PD is a bunch of very good programmers but what you ask them here is to change iron in gold! Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that they are lying deliberately on the merchandise big time and a lot of people (when you read the general comments) fell in this scam without questioning, so yes, I found it really unethical from them to do this shameless advertising campaign.

The amount of work that it would take to pull this off is not trivial.

It's not just a matter of texture resolution, it's a matter of what is coded into the track from physics properties to simple detail level.

In order for a repeate of inputs to produce the same results, the interactions between the car and the track must be aboslutley the same. If the track is slightly different, the results will be different. An exagerated analogy would be the totally flat track of Pole Position and tracks of more modern (but still 2d racers) that have some physics propteries built in. Even if the tracks have the exact same turns and lengths, repeating inputs will not result in the same results as one on track, some things will happen differnetly.

We are talking porting an entire physics engine over to the PS3 along with all the track physics just so show the replays with more flash... ignore the fact that any differences in game engines have to be overcome for this replay engine (ie things that exists on one platform and not another like damage control or open wheel collisions).

The myriad of potential problems that comes from trying to pull something like this off puts the idea beyond the realm of unlikely right into just a plain bad idea.

So they cannot just take a mesh of a track, make only graphical alterations to it, leaving all other parameters the same? They don't necessarily have to create a new version from scratch every time they move from one platform to another, nor do they have to rebuild the physics engine completely from scratch, and the PS3 should have no problem emulating the PSP engine for the purpose of a hypothetical replay theater. It seems to me that the biggest difference between versions (of the tracks) is the resolution that the tracks are being displayed in. I don't see why it is necessary that they change the physical properties from one version to the next (except when upgrading to an engine that can take into account more factors). Also, given that the physics engine is actually based on the GT5 physics engine, I don't think such emulation would be difficult to achieve.

Bar from that that such something requiring so much manpower and with such a stunning result would be still not mentioned anywhere 2 months before release and I believe it's even after the code has been finalized... and remember, as shown in the webpage screenshot above, these shots are actually being portrayed on the PSP screen... not on some other console or on a TV outside the PSP...

Aside from a trailer and a couple of interview questions, the features of GT5 itself have been kept largely a secret. There are some things that can be inferred, like photo mode and parts customization, but any new features have not been discussed yet aside from what is in Prologue already, and the ability to take your cars with you from one GT to another (which no one outside of PD knows exactly how this will work). This hypothetical GT PSP replay theater (or, as I also suggested in an earlier post, a GTPSP-->GT5 photo mode, which I find more likely) might not be revealed yet because Sony's marketing division has decided to keep it under wraps until they begin revealing more information about GT5 itself. This would be daft, but so was the PS3, and the margin of loss on the first batch of PS3s.

Well there is no way to know 100% until the game is released.

Truer words have not been written. :)

Yes you are still part of society...

Society is an abstraction, and thus does not exist as a functional entity. It is individuals who write laws, individuals who enforce laws, individuals that take resources and turn them into finished goods, individuals who trade money for goods and services which make the market or economy, itself an abstraction, function. It is individuals who declare and wage war, who decide what and how to tax, and how to spend tax revenue.

The lack of a good third person impersonal pronoun in English, like the German 'man,' other than 'they' seems to have prevented my point earlier from being made, and led to my society paragraph being read as facts regarding myself. It was meant to be a thought experiment.

No let's not and just go ahead with the reasonable generalization that none of us like being lied to nor do we like false advertising. Does that not accurately describe you?

I agree, no one likes false advertising, and nor do I. However, if people did not have the impression that laws were successfully protecting them from false advertising anywhere close to 100% of the time, I think it is reasonable to assume that they would take more time to consider both discrepancies between advertised screenshots and the known capabilities of a console, and a publisher's history of advertising, including whether or not they have a reputation for duping their customers. Who would want to do business with a firm that habitually lies to its customers?

Difference is FDA ensures that the claims the drugs makes are reasonably accurate. Discovering fatal characteristics down the line is not analogus to these bullshots.

I mentioned how false advertising laws and laws meant to prevent the manufacture and sell of harmful products both lead to unintended consequences, but I refrained from comparing them directly.

However, if we do consider the topic of false advertising with regards to medicine, couldn't the safety of a drug be one claim of a drug maker that later turns out to be false? There are plenty of examples in the pharmaceutical industry of companies, and sometimes even the FDA (to my knowledge, a much more rare occurrence), approving drugs that they know have side-effects that are not listed. In these cases, the law provides a sense of security above and beyond the reality. For example, here is a 1979 feature of 60 minutes in which they discuss the side effects that the 1976 swine flu vaccination had on a (thankfully low) number of people, in the feature case, paralysis.

If you wanted to make it analogus, finding out drugs can be fatal would be somewhat equivalent to finding out that these screenshots somehow break your PSP after a certain amount of use. That would assume these screenshots actually are accurate representations of what you will see on the PSP in the first place.

Both things I mentioned involved a false sense of security due to the way the law is set up, but I wasn't comparing them directly.

So sorry, your analogy is flawed, FDA discovering a drug has side effects is not the same as FDA allowing a drug to make false claims, which is the analgoy of what is happening here.

As stated above, I didn't compare the two directly. However, stating that laws that are meant guard against false advertising and laws that are meant to safeguard health in fact have unintended consequences would be, I believe, an apt comparison. In the quote below, I did mention false advertising where I could have perhaps left it out and still have made my point, but it was not an analogy. Rather, I was trying to make the point that a good dose of consumer skepticism is a good thing (which it seems we both agree on) even in a field considered to be well regulated, but that the law can lead people into wrongly assuming that such skepticism is not necessary. It is always necessary.

So, even in the health industry, even when we have laws against false advertising, and even when we have an organization set up to try to prevent the production and use of dangerous drugs/etc., it is still prudent to check out medicines and foods before you use them, or else you could be seriously harmed, or worse, even as folks have a false sense of security, believing that the FDA is protecting them.

I found the analogy--between a publisher using touched up screenshots to make consumers believe that a game has more entertainment value than it actually has compared to drug for which the drug maker makes a false claim that it will cure cancer--to be an interesting comparison. One discusses subjective values on the part of the consumer, and the other discusses a life or death scenario which is taken advantage of (hypothetically) by a pharmaceutical firm. But when is the last time someone actually claimed to have a drug that could cure cancer? There are extraordinary claims made in the field of medicine, but, to my knowledge, the ability to cure cancer is not one of them, at least not recently, whereas touched up screenshots and dangerous, but approved, drugs are recent and regular occurrences.

Who was talking about always? We are talking about here and now and these screenshots.

My mistake.

Go ahead and play devils advocate, but the only time is of any value (including entertainment value) to play devils advocate is when the devil actually has a decent platform to stand on. When the devil is just blowing hot air, it's of no value at all.

Having attended the meetings of a debating society on occasion, I've heard far more outlandish topics defended to great effect. For instance, one topic was whether or not buildings on campus named after racist individuals should be renamed, and it had the surprising outcome of failing (i.e. the buildings should retain their names both for historical purposes, and because there are completely different standards of ethics today as opposed to the nineteenth century), which surprised me, considering the political demographics of the members.

As for a devil's advocate position being of no value, I have to disagree, even in this case. Such a position can always lead to the elucidation of a topic (etc.) that may otherwise be overlooked, and speculation can lead to ideas not previously considered, and even when speculation turns out to be just that, it can lead to the utilization of new ideas in the future.

[Edit] I found even higher resolution pictures at Gamespot. Looking at size, 1280x720 pixels, they look more likely to be from a GTPSP-->GT5 photo mode, or simply from GT5's photo mode, and have thusly, in the latter case, been mislabeled as PSP screenshots (the most likely scenario, I believe, considering that GT5 appears to be just around the corner).

3780767288_085a78cb2e_o.jpg

3780001529_fdf9a3787d_o.jpg

3780767144_dd57cf96a0_o.jpg

3780813390_f14af5d83c_o.jpg

Last edited:
[Edit] I found even higher resolution pictures at Gamespot. Looking at size, 1280x720 pixels, they look more likely to be from a GTPSP-->GT5 photo mode, or simply from GT5's photo mode, and have thusly, in the latter case, been mislabeled as PSP screenshots (the most likely scenario, I believe, considering that GT5 appears to be just around the corner).
The original size of the PNG files is 3840x2160 and the pics are 2,5-8,5 MB huge.
Theyre made for magazines without doubt.

EDIT: And i still doubt theyre from GT5, or theres a pretty big downgrade compared to Prologues track graphics.
I believe the Corvette is made with GT5s engine and the tracks are high-res GT4 versions (like the w.i.p. tracks we've seen from GT5).

EDIT²: Nam was faster.^^

Last edited:
Upscaled GTM shots definitley. They make them bigger and give them HD graphics. I know this because the trees still look 2D

Seems its only that shot of the Orange Corvette thats where the track looks bad. I mean if you look at the picture where it appears to be driving on El Capitan and even the New York ones, the track looks mint.

Upscaled GTM shots definitley. They make them bigger and give them HD graphics. I know this because the trees still look 2D

Do you even know what UPSCALED means??? these screens are in no way upscaled, upscaling doesn't add magically better textures, more polygon counts, real reflections, anti aliasing, motion blur effects, etc... geez, some people really don't get it... even where all the evidence are against them.

Ok fine, you're right, i'm wrong, moving on. But loo kat the environment, 2D trees, flat grass with no texture, those aren't from GT5, and the ZR1 isn't in GT4. That's photoshopped GTMobile there.

It's one of the best photoshops I have ever seen, then. And photoshop isn't a good thing either. People want real pics.

3780767288_085a78cb2e_o.jpg

3780001529_fdf9a3787d_o.jpg

3780767144_dd57cf96a0_o.jpg

3780813390_f14af5d83c_o.jpg

Congratulations you have bombarded me with such volume I simptly haven't the time nor the want to counter it all.

The only thing I can say is look back a few posts at the screenshot from the official gt site. These shots are imposed on PSP bodies, the idea these are accidentally mislabled goes out the door based solely on that, and so does these being some kind of PS3 tie in... the shots are shown on the PSP screen...

Phothoshops I hope is just a generic term being used for "touched up" because to actually use photoshop to get from GTM to these would probably be as time consuing as just building these renders in 3dsmax.

As for upscaled, no, they are not psp res images passed through a scaling filter as detail is there that wouldn't be in the original (emblems and badges that on a psp screen would be a total of 3 pixels cannot be upscaled to full clarity... image info cannot come from where there was none).

Yes an original image for a magazine print will be high res, but there is a difference between a high res shot of a low res image, and a high res image. Look back a few posts where I photoshopped some GTM screens next to these, those screens were scaled up to a much higher resolution than original, but that doesn't mean you get detail magically out of nowhere, it just means there are more pixels. If that was what had happend, real psp screens just blown up, that would be no problem, these are not that for sure though.

And again the car models have more polys than psp and modeled interiors... they aren't evne the same models from psp shown at a higher res, they are totally different models.

I mean really, what you guys are claiming when you say these are psp shots is:

This is a psp screenshot with the actual car removed and replaced with a better one, the track upgraded, effects added and then rendered at a resolution way beyond what psp could do...

so in other words another picture entirely from a system that is not even remotely the psp... Its just like the FF all FMV adds... those were just actual in game moments... but rendered on a completely different machine with different models at a different resolution that's all... just something completely not what you wre going to get... /sarcasm

Again, you can't show a ferrari in a prius add and then say "well that is a prius... with different engine, tranny, body, chasis and interior". After all that it's nto a prius anymore just like these are not psp shots.

You guys need to stop grasping at straws and realize that even if this turns out to somehow remotely tie into something gtm related, it's so much NOT related that that's what really counts... after all a ferrari and a prius are both cars so they are somewhat related right? No... doesn't fly...

Last edited:

right.. :rolleyes:

just quoting myself and Devedander:

Why dont they release some nice 480x272 gameplay screenshots?

There is a big gap between these jagged screenies from their own site:

nws12439619440773385.jpg

nws12439373444616139.jpg

10.jpg

and this:

ori_01.png

ori_02.png

ori_03.png

ori_04.png

ori_05.png

come on PD, don't fool the fans/buyers and loose your credibility 👎

OK guys, I took some of these new "GTM" shots and put them into PS at their shown resolution (NOTE uploading these pictures to GTplanet resulted in them being shrunk down, to see them in their original size download this zip file of the pictures as I made them the difference is even more pronounced) than took some of the PSP screen shots and enlarged them up to the same resolution and put them side by side for comparison. Note PS when enlarging a picture does a decent job of cleaning it up so it's not a super harsh pixelated eyesore, so while not super processed, these blown up PSP screens are indeed smoothed and touched up a bit.

Now this is certainly not rendering at a higher resolution on a powerful PC or anything like that, but even so you can clearly see the HUGE jump that would be necessary to get from the PSP to these shots... not jus the crispness of the images, but the texture detail, the effects, the complexity of the models... it's just not there...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And just for fun, here is one of the new "GTM" screenshots up against a GT5 Prologue screenshot...

attachment.php

Now really... those new screenshots aren't upscaled prettied up GTM mobile screenshots...

Exactly... I am not entirely sure those trees are 2d, but even if they are, they are the 1 percent of the scene that says low power, the other 99% says super high powered machine cranking these out.

That' ferrari is really a prius with everything swapped out... I can tell becuase it has steel wheels...

That's called grasping at straws and really reaching to rationalize what you want to see...

Look... the official GT site shows these images on PSP screens... that just can't happen. Even in video form it can't happen.

It took years of hard work to crank out Forza and GT on the 360 and PS3 that look this good... no one can honeslty believe that through some slick codding, PD managed to accomplish the same on the PSP... somehow the PSP is nearing the triple core and hefty GPU of the 360 or the
Cell processor in the PS3?

Look there are two general explanations for how these aren't just plain bullshot:

1 These are actually PSP screens, but they have been rendered at higher resolution and prettied up a bit, maybe the textures were smoothed out and some digital airbrush applied.

Why it doens't pan out: The detail level in the final shots couldn't exist on the PSP screen. You cannot clean up a 3 pixel blob and end up with a sharp 3d, shadow mapped car emblem. Just the wheels alone probably have more polys than the entire cars in GTM have. The PSP just couldn't push that many polys let alone all the other stuff.

Even if these were dressed up PSP screens (which they can't be) they are so missrepresenting what you get it is unethical advertising.

2: These are somehow a PS3 tie in with GTM.

Why it doens't pan out: They are shown on the official GTM site on PSP screens. There is no disclaimer you must also have a PS3 to get these images. A feature this significant (one that makes it into an add campain) not being mentioned this close to launch... don't think so.

And same as above... they do not represent in any kind of accuracy what you will get.

Last edited:
As bad as the real screenshots look ,they are not at all like that in motion. Gameplay of GTMobile is between GT3 and GT4 graphics wise. The game looks crappy when not in motion, but the 60fps has a magic way of covering it up a lot.

Actually I think those screens look pretty good... Here they are side by side with what I would consider their closest competition, TOCA Race Driver.

nws12439373444616139.jpg

toca10.jpg

10.jpg

tocarace3screen02.jpg

nws12439619440773385

toca-3.jpg

Actually I think those screens look pretty good... Here they are side by side with what I would consider their closest competition, TOCA Race Driver.

nws12439373444616139.jpg

toca10.jpg

10.jpg

tocarace3screen02.jpg

nws12439619440773385

toca-3.jpg

Most of the pictures earlier in this thread, the graphics are better than a couple of this pictures that you found. I'm just sayin'.

Most of the pictures earlier in this thread, the graphics are better than a couple of this pictures that you found. I'm just sayin'.

Are you talking about the pictures we just spent 3 pages debunking as actual PSP screenshots? ;)

To all those who keep saying "It's harmless, people should figure out for themselves what's possible on the PSP" and making excuses for why bullshots are not bad... well here's a prime example why...

Maybe that screens with ZR-1 from GTPSP is from intro? Opening movies from GT1 to GT4 are always much better looking that in-game graphics.

So, reading through all this discussion about whether these images are touched up, or possibly from another mode, etc. I see some people act as if this is some new thing and PD/Sony should be ashamed for using an advertising technique common to video games.

Bullshot is a common term because it is a common thing.

EA is commonly accused of it, as they have done things like have a Tiger Woods Wii ad with PS3 graphics, or had screenshots where a person in the background has half their body missing due to a shoddy touch up job.

I have always taken it that unless there is a note somewhere that says, "actually gameplay footage" it should be considered doctored for advertising purposes.

I hope those of you that are truly upset by this never order food from a fast food joint. The Big Mac in the picture is not what you are getting. In fact, chances are the Big Mac in the picture isn't even edible.

Are these pictures either doctored or from some other functionality other than normal gameplay? Most definitely. Is it worth getting upset over? Not even close.

Back