GT Prologue: First Impressions

• Thread starter Rue
  • 84 comments
Can somebody give an impression of the collision physics?

Like : what happens if you hit a wall under a corner of 45°? Is it still comparable to GT3 or does the car have tendency to spin away?

What if two cars hit each other? Can you still use the AI to brake better? :P

It contains that irritating 'auto-rotate' feature that tries to turn you back the correct way if you spin. You can't turn it off! :irked:

Yeah I am curious what this "auto rotate" thing is. Do you mean the cars' ASM/TCS kicking in to correct your spin? If so, real cars do that...that's why real drivers turn the electronic aids off and it's usually faster that way :-)

Originally posted by enzojr
Yeah I am curious what this "auto rotate" thing is.
Probably the same as GT3. When you touch a wall in some area's or in some way, your car is turned in the right direction by god's hand. I don't see the advantage of it, sometimes it has annoying side effects, like in the hairpin of monaco, where your car behaves strange if you take the curb.

Originally posted by Buggy Boy
Probably the same as GT3. When you touch a wall in some area's or in some way, your car is turned in the right direction by god's hand. I don't see the advantage of it, sometimes it has annoying side effects, like in the hairpin of monaco, where your car behaves strange if you take the curb.

What I meant was just as Buggy Boy said there.

Originally posted by amar212
IMPORTANT: Has anyone noticed the codes for records? After you make a time on licence, you can check the times on a records section, and when you click on a certain time, the 4-lines-code is given. Where those codes can be entered?

I hope that final game will also give codes. That will be the end of the stupid and irrelevant times of circuitt records that are spreading over the internet like a disease.

Those codes were in GT3 too :odd: (when on the records page, select a record pushing R1 + select simultaneously - if I remember correctly...)

Originally posted by amar212
The fuel consuption test rocks. McLaren test rocks. This game kicks ass and treats in video just made me to drool and imagine what are the beauties that are waiting for us in just few months.

Hmmm, consumption test... seems interesting :D. What does it look like?

Finally, that spin thing is pretty lame... Imultiplayer mode -> when one player is standing against the wall and you're on the track, just slightly turn the wheels and your car begins to spin like crazy...

Originally posted by chaser_fan
It contains that irritating 'auto-rotate' feature that tries to turn you back the correct way if you spin. You can't turn it off! :irked:
I think that's what happens in real cars too, according to various sources. Your car "wants" to straighten out if you start sliding or go into a spin.

Yes, that is true. The cars momentum is basically going straight, but when you get sideways, the car still tries to go to the direction where it was originally going.

bahahha. what sunsetskyline just said brings back memories of high school physics and centripetal motion and momentum....with the instantaneous velocity at the point of release from circular motion being a straight line that is tangent to the point of release

first impressions:

-realistic, challenging rally mode now.
-heavy braking at high speeds is punishing and realistic
-cars look NICCCCCCCCE
-levels look NICCCCEEE..but I find them sorta....bright. to the point it's just a tad bit fake...

Man, this is looking better and better...

Now, I think this hasn't been answered before: Do the reverse lights work?? :confused:

You would've thought they'd have managed something as relatively simple as reverse lights or exhaust pops. Even PSX games had it, still theres some hope for the final GT4 :odd:

Those programmers create highly accurate physics, breathtaking scenarios, jaw-dropping car models, top notch special effects, awesome sound fx, things that take millions of lines of code, highly advanced mathematical calculations and yet thay can't put a simple line in the game's code???? Something like this (I'm no programmer)

IF gear=reverse THEN

reverselight_lit=TRUE

END IF

Is it THAT difficult??

NOTE: I'm not bashing PD's programmers, those guys are GODS but pleeeaase...

Originally posted by Tekk
Those programmers create highly accurate physics, breathtaking scenarios, jaw-dropping car models, top notch special effects, awesome sound fx, things that take millions of lines of code, highly advanced mathematical calculations and yet thay can't put a simple line in the game's code???? Something like this (I'm no programmer)

IF gear=reverse THEN

reverselight_lit=TRUE

END IF

Is it THAT difficult??

NOTE: I'm not bashing PD's programmers, those guys are GODS but pleeeaase...
I suspect it has something more to do with textures. ATM there are two rear lights textures: lights on & lights off. Adding reverse would double the amount of textures: lights on, reverse on; lights on reverse off; reverse on, lights off and reverse off, lights off.

Assuming they are using textures in the universally accepted way, that is one big image, then this doubles the size of textures in memory.
The PS2s biggest bottleneck IMO is the very small amount of memory, so every little bit counts, especially if you are using high detail textures like GT4P does.

That's my theory, anyway.

Wouldnt the game use the same textures? Because you have texture of red lights for the car breaking and then you use the same textures for reverse. When you press break a code triggers to show red lights, now if you put on reverse the code could execute the same textures. Lights off and on is just codes not textures.

I think they could do it, when you brake and thebrake lights come on the texture on the lights is seperate the the rest of the car, so they could do the same with reverse lights, it's bot a big deal though.

They didn't have to create new textures to do that. I'm pretty sure they would be capable to use the same textures and simply apply different lighting to them.

Originally posted by Tekk
They didn't have to create new textures to do that. I'm pretty sure they would be capable to use the same textures and simply apply different lighting to them.
In GT3 they use a different texture when the brake lights are used, with a glowing light effect over the top. I'm assuming that GT4 would be just the same.

The prob is that if you made the rear lights simply (for want of a better word) luminous then they still look dull, only they stand out more. You do need to change the texture to get it to look right.
I think they could do it, when you brake and thebrake lights come on the texture on the lights is seperate the the rest of the car, so they could do the same with reverse lights, it's bot a big deal though.
It just depends how they decided to do the textures and whether they thought the memory was worth it.

Latest Posts

Back