GT Sport have over 5 million players

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 658 comments
And adding vehicles at obscene prices to promote the sale of microtransactions.

TBH money glitches have existed since this games inception and I have zero sympathy for people who have chosen not to participate in the thousands of them over the years. My friends & I all have 9 digit amounts of money. There has never been a time when we didn't own everything in the game.

Doesn't GTAV figure also count sales of in game microtransactions, Shark Cards etc which cost as much as a game itself?
No; it is the 3rd best selling game of all time.
Everyone knows Grand Theft Auto V is a game that is still selling well, years after release. With almost 100 Million copies worldwide and is the 3rd best selling game ever. Posted on the PlayStation Blog, PlayStation EU revealed that Grand Theft Auto V was the best selling game on the PlayStation store in August 2018.
https://rockstarintel.com/2018/09/08/playstation-gtav-was-the-1-selling-game-in-august/

Digital/Physical Charts for EMEAA (Europe, Middle East, Africa, Australia) region week ending 9th September.
  1. Spider-Man
  2. Dragon Quest XI
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Two Point Hospital
  5. Cities: Skylines
  6. FIFA 18
  7. Gran Turismo Sport
  8. Destiny 2 + Forsaken
  9. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
  10. F1 2018
Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of GT Sport’s release. I think it’s newsworthy the title was the 7th best selling title across the EMEAA region last week and has regularly been a top 10-20 fixture.

I’d gustimate at 6m-6.5m players by the 1 year anniversary. Given PD revealed 5.5m players mid-July and they’re adding over 250k players per month.

Remember those people that thought GTS would only sell 3-5 million lifetime lmao
Would not be surprised if PD announce 6 million for its anniversary.

GTS LTD is prob going to be between 7-8 million.

Remember those people that thought GTS would only sell 3-5 million lifetime lmao
Would not be surprised if PD announce 6 million for its anniversary.

GTS LTD is prob going to be between 7-8 million.
Not sure where the joke is in there but 3-5 million was extremely reasonable considering the recent decline the series was seeing. Nothing wrong with that as it really could have gone both ways. Good on them for potentially overcoming that hurdle. Now all we need are actual numbers.

Not sure where the joke is in there but 3-5 million was extremely reasonable considering the recent decline the series was seeing. Nothing wrong with that as it really could have gone both ways. Good on them for potentially overcoming that hurdle. Now all we need are actual numbers.

Lmao at extremely reasonable, yet being 100% off in only 1 year.
The people who thought that have little idea on GT's strength as an IP and the PS4.

yet being 100% off in only 1 year.

1. Units sold is somewhere in the 4 million range.

2. Virtually all games hit peak sales in their first 4 months and drop off dramatically after that.

Your comment is just plain wrong because between 3-5 million is exactly where we are right now and there is simply no way GT Sport will sell another million units. You are underestimating the sheer size of that number.

Lmao at extremely reasonable, yet being 100% off in only 1 year.
The people who thought that have little idea on GT's strength as an IP and the PS4.
What's unreasonable about thinking that GTS would sell 3-5 million? I'm a bit at a loss at what the joke is still. Isn't that basically where we're at, one year down the line? It seems we're a bit far off the point of massive sales climbs going off past history of their games, but you expect that amount to practically double? You think that, and yet pretend it's others that are unreasonable for picking 3-5 milliion?

What are the sales numbers again? Since its 5-6 million players than that's what, like 3mil+~ sales, right?

Last edited:
2. Virtually all games hit peak sales in their first 4 months and drop off dramatically after that.

What absolute nonsense

TLoU sold 8 million on PS3 in about a year....its now at 17 million on PS3 + PS4
Uncharted 4 sold 2.7 million in 1 week......it did 8.7 million in 7-8 months
Horizon Zero Dawn sold 3.4 million in 2 months......its at 7.6 in a year

Even in a genre that has the biggest drops (JRPG), you still get big games continuing to sell:
FFXV had sold 6 million in near 3 months......nows its at 8.1 million

GRAN TURISMO 5 SHIPPED DATA
November 2010 5,520k Release
December 2010 6,370k First quarter
September 2011 7,300k 10 months after launch
December 2011 7,430k 1 year and 1 month after launch
September 2012 9,190k 1 year and 10 months after launch
March 2013 10,660k 2 years and 4 months after launch

You don't know what you are talking about to put it simply.

You are underestimating the sheer size of that number.

GTS gets around 50k new users every week. It jumped to near 100k during price promotions. I'll let you do the maths on that.
You clearly have little idea on how GT sells over time.

What are the sales numbers again? Since its 5-6 million players than that's what, like 3mil+~ sales, right?

Someone is going to be in for a rude awakening when we get the next sales update lmao

Someone is going to be in for a rude awakening when we get the next sales update lmao
So you're saying I'm wrong? Not that I was being serious with that, nor do I think that's what they sold but it's just weird because I was using the math that you've used on this forum yourself :lol: It's a bit funny, but not surprising, that you didn't catch that!

TLoU sold 8 million on PS3 in about a year....its now at 17 million on PS3 + PS4
Oh you mean that game that was re-released on the PS4? You understand how that makes sense right?

Uncharted 4 sold 2.7 million in 1 week......it did 8.7 million in 7-8 months
Yeah, a year seems to be the tipping point for most games, sales after that aren't going to be even remotely as close to that the following years. That tends to be the case for best sellers, but GTS isn't really pulling in those kinds of numbers at all considering that it's a year down the line and it's likely not amassed even half that 7-8 month sales figure.

Horizon Zero Dawn sold 3.4 million in 2 months......its at 7.6 in a year
Same exact thing here. This one is even more telling of the point being made. 3.4 million in 2 months, and it took 10 more months to double that? You're seeing the pattern right?

November 2010 5,520k Release
December 2010 6,370k First quarter
September 2011 7,300k 10 months after launch
December 2011 7,430k 1 year and 1 month after launch
September 2012 9,190k 1 year and 10 months after launch
March 2013 10,660k 2 years and 4 months after launch
So in two months it was at 6.3 million, but 10 full months later it only amassed 1 more million? That was all under the most sold game from that Developer so if we take into consideration that even GT6 barely peaked a little over half that, we can imagine that GTS would be doing something similar no? Not too bad, but using your math that 5-6 million players should only be about 2.5-3mil in sales, so at the end of the next three years we can guess at around what, 800k-1.5mil? That's still really not putting it that much over the 3-5

If you can't notice that trend, it had more than 50% of it's sales within the first 2 months, and took 3 years to reach the balance. The following year was barely bringing 30% of the initial boom they got in the first two months, and the same for sept 2011- sept 2012. So even if GTS is anywhere between 3-4mil(decided not to use your math this time around, since you yourself insinuate that it's wrong :lol:) sales currently, by the next anniversary the absolute best possible outlook would be looking at an additional 900,000 - 1.2 million. That is, if sales continue at a fixed constant rate, but hey, you already know that's not the case as you've pointed that out plenty of times. That's really not too far off the mark of 3-5 million that people voted for on polls, and still an extremely good number regardless. So I ask again, what's unreasonable about people thinking 3-5mil?

You don't know what you are talking about to put it simply.
Oh you put it simply, I'm just wondering when you're going to understand that it applies to you. It's all a bit weird that you basically confirmed his point, that sales drop massively after the initial launch-months boom.

Last edited:
Oh you mean that game that was re-released on the PS4? You understand how that makes sense right?

Let me know when a year later rerelease manages to sell 8 million+. Only games with the longest legs do that, which goes back to the point of games being able to sell for a long time :dunce:

Yeah, a year seems to be the tipping point for most games

This one is even more telling of the point being made. 3.4 million in 2 months, and it took 10 more months to double that? You're seeing the pattern right?

The original post said 4 months, I see you've decided to move that goal post now :lol:
Not even sure how you can suggest 1 year when you don't even have the sales data for said titles after a year :lol:

Oh and this ignoring the clear data on how GT games continue to sell for years :lol:

So in two months it was at 6.3 million, but 10 full months later it only amassed 1 more million?

And 5 years later it was near 12 million..... almost doubling its 2 month sales and 5 million+ from its year one sales.

Once again you know very little, this is not exclusive to GT5. All GTs did this including GTS (still in EU top ten 1 year later).

GRAN TURISMO 4 SHIPPED DATA
September 2005 6,790k 6 months after launch
June 2006 7,630k 1 year and 3 months after launch
September 2006 8,060k 1 year and 6 months after launch
December 2006 8,790k 1 year and 9 months after launch
June 2007 9,210k 2 years and 3 months after launch
September 2007 9,520k 2 years and 6 months after launch
December 2007 9,920k 2 years and 9 months after launch
March 2008 10,060k 3 years after launch
June 2008 10,180k 3 years and 3 months after launch
December 2008 10,570k 3 years and 9 months after launch
December 2009 10,980k 4 years and 9 months after launch
December 2010 11,190k 5 years and 9 months after launch
September 2011 11,380k 6 years and 6 months after launch
December 2011 11,440k 6 years and 9 months after launch
September 2012 11,600k 7 years and 6 months after launch
March 2013 11,173k 8 year after launch

GT4 sold a further 4 million after its first year

et me know when a year later rerelease manages to sell 8 million+. Only games with the longest legs do that, which goes back to the point of games being able to sell for a long time :dunce:
Doesn't change the fact that the sales dropped massively after it's initial boom. 1 year to make a certain amount, 4-5 more to double it. So going off that, seeing such a massive game, where GTS gets literally no where close to even it's first year sales, you're going to use that to go against the point that sales drop dramatically years, heck even months after release?

If that was the point you are arguing then did you even comprehend the point your arguing against? Because it really doesn't seem like you do.

The original post said 4 months, I see you've decided to move that goal post now :lol:
Are you blind? Because it really seems like you're blind. Learn to read what you're responding to, because the original post was not mine.

Not even sure how you can suggest 1 year when you don't even have the sales data for said titles after a year :lol:
You don't either but you keep telling me I'm wrong? I'm confused as to how you can accuse someone of being wrong and not having data but still trying to argue it then? Either way, it's not rocket science to realize that sales drop dramatically for most titles just months after release, which has been the discussion from the get go, that you still seem to have not understood.

Oh and this ignoring the clear data on how GT games continue to sell for years :lol:
No one is arguing that. That's why it looks like it's getting ignored. What is getting discussed is the fact that games sales drop dramatically, and literally everything you posted shows that. Hell, the extensive GT5 data you went to copy and paste even shows that. They got 50% of their sales in 2 months and took literal years to even accumulate the same amount. You understand what that means right? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, really.

And 5 years later it was near 12 million
Well damn, it took you long enough to realize that. Now that you agree we can finally stop this useless argument about sales data, and you going around and acting like someone insulted your child because, for some reason, you think 3-5million is a measly amount, and choose to try to berate those that made a guess at the amount of sales. All this information you're posting is literally proving the point you're arguing against, that you dont seem to fully understand - that sales drop dramatically in comparison to what you see in the first months, and by a year later, they're a fraction of what they did at release.

So I'd like to ask again because you conveniently ignored the fact that you're a hypocritical liar; I was wrong in saying that GTS sales should be around 2.5-3 million if they have 5-6 million players right? I'm very curious to hear what your answer is to this, considering how your math flip flops all over the place depending on if you like a certain game or not :lol:

Last edited:
I'm troubled by the whole 'charts' business. Nothing is verified, quantifiable, adjudicated. Everything revolves around reportage by the dev or the seller, all of whom benefit greatly by over-reporting the sales figures.

Then there's the kudosprime site, that estimates 77% of players do not attempt one single Sport Mode race, in a game that you MUST have an internet connection for for it to even save your progress. Something stinks about all this.

I'm guessing that most of the people arguing here pro or con somehow attach meaning to these numbers, but in a business that seems to have as little accountability (even less, in fact) than the music industry, which has been rife with inflated and false figures for as long as charts were around (look up the word 'payola', kiddies, if not already aware of it), I'm not sure there is any meaning.

I'm troubled by the whole 'charts' business. Nothing is verified, quantifiable, adjudicated. Everything revolves around reportage by the dev or the seller, all of whom benefit greatly by over-reporting the sales figures.

Then there's the kudosprime site, that estimates 77% of players do not attempt one single Sport Mode race, in a game that you MUST have an internet connection for for it to even save your progress. Something stinks about all this.

I'm guessing that most of the people arguing here pro or con somehow attach meaning to these numbers, but in a business that seems to have as little accountability (even less, in fact) than the music industry, which has been rife with inflated and false figures for as long as charts were around (look up the word 'payola', kiddies, if not already aware of it), I'm not sure there is any meaning.
In short, it's all useless information for us, the consumer, really. it's a E-Peen waving contest for anyone who chooses to stick to them as if its some sort of "1-up" for the company they prefer, as if its any sort of objective information to prove that the other game is somehow worse because of it.

In short, it's all useless information for us, the consumer, really. it's a E-Peen waving contest for anyone who chooses to stick to them as if its some sort of "1-up" for the company they prefer, as if its any sort of objective information to prove that the other game is somehow worse because of it.

Well, from one of the biggest E-Peen wavers on this thread, that's quite an acknowledgement. :lol:

Once you acknowledge that numbers mean nothing, what's the point in arguing?

Well, from one of the biggest E-Peen wavers on this thread, that's quite an acknowledgement. :lol:

Once you acknowledge that numbers mean nothing, what's the point in arguing?
I've never waved any numbers around. I've instead questioned the validity of the ones posting the numbers, and the points they're trying to make.

If you think otherwise, I'd like you to go through the thread and re-read my points and find one time I actually did use one game to belittle another, because I've not once waved one game over the other, especially not with useless sales data. Hell, I've never even argued against GTS and the things it's accomplishing with every post I have in this thread.

Last edited:
How about a source next time? Because as far as other outlets are concerned, Horizon 4 went from 3rd to 5th in sales for the UK.
https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-call-of-duty-launch-sales-lowest-in-11-years
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/444447-black-ops-4-physical-sales-down-by-50-compared-to-cod-ww2

First link doesn't show any record of Gran Turismo either for this week or last where as older titles such as GTA V & PC2 are listed in the charts.
https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/archive/index_test.jsp&ct=110015&arch=t&lyr=2018&year=2018&week=40

Edit* Further reason why we need a source. Claiming 70k in sales for the first week in the UK, yet Microsoft reporting 2 million players in the first week.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/forza-horizon-4/forza-horizon-4-sales

If the numbers mean nothing, your refutation of the points made is as invalid as the point.

In other words, if you know nothing (or can trust nothing), they are as likely as you to be wrong OR right! You are both just guessing.

Edit* Further reason why we need a source. Claiming 70k in sales for the first week in the UK, yet Microsoft reporting 2 million players in the first week.
With this being the first Horizon game on the game-pass, player numbers aren't going to be an accurate way to really gauge the game. Now, more than ever in my opinion.

If the numbers mean nothing, your refutation of the points made is as invalid as the point.

In other words, if you know nothing (or can trust nothing), they are as likely as you to be wrong OR right! You are both just guessing.
Which has been a point that I've raised myself in this discussion had you actually followed it, like you implied with my contribution. So did you find any post where I was using one game over the other? If not than that original claim was a bit baseless. Like I said, I've questioned the motives, pointed out inaccuracies, countered misinformed opinions whether intentional or otherwise, and brought to light hypocritical sentiments that have been posted by the most vocal that keep bringing up the sales numbers.

I've never argued that the sales numbers are wrong, lower, higher or anywhere inbetween so your point doesn't really stand. I did, however, note that the game is selling well plenty of times. A lot of the argument in the most recent replies to this thread started because someone got insulted that people thought 3-5 million was a reasonable number for what they thought GTS would sell.

Last edited:

That stat can't be trusted though. My user name in kudosprime showed that I had done three Sport mode races and I know I'd not done any at all. I've now done five races and it says I've done eight.

I did loads of online races in the beta and none at all once it became the demo.

4693138E-6223-4726-9EC2-A8FFAE55899B.jpeg

Maybe this?

Back