GT Sport have over 5 million players

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 658 comments
I'm troubled by the whole 'charts' business. Nothing is verified, quantifiable, adjudicated. Everything revolves around reportage by the dev or the seller, all of whom benefit greatly by over-reporting the sales figures.

Then there's the kudosprime site, that estimates 77% of players do not attempt one single Sport Mode race, in a game that you MUST have an internet connection for for it to even save your progress. Something stinks about all this.

I'm guessing that most of the people arguing here pro or con somehow attach meaning to these numbers, but in a business that seems to have as little accountability (even less, in fact) than the music industry, which has been rife with inflated and false figures for as long as charts were around (look up the word 'payola', kiddies, if not already aware of it), I'm not sure there is any meaning.

Official chart trackers (NPD, Media Create, GFK) are independant third party companies that have access to retail and digital sales from publishers and retailers. Publishers use these sources often to cite sales.

There's nothing dubious about these sources, its how industries track sales of their products. Publishers also release data of their own when its really good and no they do not lie. They are publicly owned companies by shareholders, any lie can be easily refuted by third party trackers and the company would be in serious trouble if caught lying.

In short, it's all useless information for us, the consumer, really. it's a E-Peen waving contest for anyone who chooses to stick to them as if its some sort of "1-up" for the company they prefer, as if its any sort of objective information to prove that the other game is somehow worse because of it.

No.

You say that, but you’ve used that exact stance plenty of times :lol:

Regardless, both games look on track to sell a good lot. Even though that original post you made is completely irrelevant here.

Update:

UK launch week:

FH4 approx = 70k
GTS approx = 82k

I believe you have one, possibly two understanding issues. Either you don’t understand what the word “update” implies, or you’ve taken a wrong turn en route to the FH4 section.

It’s alright, it happens. 👍

http://gamstat.com/

This link says gtsport at under 8 million players
The only games that are better than GTSport are top tier multiplayer games and FIFA, except for Crash 2 (Nsane Trilogy?), Hitman, and NFS 2015 (What? Alot more than Payback?).

Also has Battlefield 4 stats but not the Battlefield 1 and 5 stats for some reason.

The new "My PS4 Life2 videos that you can get generated produce an interesting stat, which is how many other people have got your rarest trophy, and its been used to get an idea of how many people have played various titles. Now while its not 100% accurate in terms of sales units (multiple accounts, sharing games, etc) it does prove quite interesting.

You can create your own videos here, and this is mine:

The site pulling the titles together is here, and the racing title results are as follows:

• Dirt 4 (global) 745,000
  • F1 2017 (global) 996,000
  • GT Sport (global) 7,230,000
  • Need for Speed (global) 9,730,000
  • NFS Payback (global) 4,390,000
  • Project Cars (global) 2,480,000
  • Dakar 18 (global) 11,155
  • Assetto Corsa (global) 98,000*

* Indicates provisional number due to 0.1% trophy.

My own rarest is for Dakar 18, The Navigator trophy, which 502 other people earned and 4.5% of Dakar 18 player had earned. which gives Dakar 18 total global players/sales of 11,155 on PS4!

Feel free to add your own and we can update as the results come in (please post a link to the video so we can verify).

Last edited:
What? NFS 2015 has more players than GTS :eek: Wasn't that another 'trash' NFS said by the community?

Other than that, only the "big boys" have more players than Gran Turismo Sport. That's a nice achievement by PD! :)

What? NFS 2015 has more players than GTS :eek: Wasn't that another 'trash' NFS said by the community?
And those are the NFS players on PS4 only, as its multi-platform the sales for that would be significantly higher, adding in XB1 NFS Payback may also have been close to GTS as well.

Other than that, only the "big boys" have more players than Gran Turismo Sport. That's a nice achievement by PD! :)
It is, but GT always sells stupidly well for a racing title, as such its only true benchmark would be past GT titles.

http://gamstat.com/

This link says gtsport at under 8 million players

The way they calc it from trophy percentages means it's quite a way off for GTS. Besides, for that headline grabbing number, we can easily (and accurately) just look at the number of profiles created for GTS!

Their stat: 7.23 million
All profiles (includes demo): 6.36 million
Profiles for full game: 5.97 million

And, as said countless times in this thread, 'total players' is always going to be quite a bit larger than 'total sales'.

It just shows if PD get ‘GT7’ out of the gate early on PS5, fully featured, back on track with features GT Sport didn’t have. They have real potential to jump well past 10m players. As it stands I believe GT Sport will surpass 10m players by the end of PS4’s useful life.

Their stat: 7.23 million
All profiles (includes demo): 6.36 million
Profiles for full game: 5.97 million
Kudusprime stats are a good 10% or more out. When PD announced over 5.5m players back in July, Kudosprime was around 4.2m-4.8m.

Last edited:
The new "My PS4 Life2 videos that you can get generated produce an interesting stat, which is how many other people have got your rarest trophy, and its been used to get an idea of how many people have played various titles. Now while its not 100% accurate in terms of sales units (multiple accounts, sharing games, etc) it does prove quite interesting.

You can create your own videos here, and this is mine:

The site pulling the titles together is here, and the racing title results are as follows:

• Dirt 4 (global) 745,000
  • F1 2017 (global) 996,000
  • GT Sport (global) 7,230,000
  • Need for Speed (global) 9,730,000
  • NFS Payback (global) 4,390,000
  • Project Cars (global) 2,480,000

My own rarest is for Dakar 18, The Navigator trophy, which 502 other people earned and 4.5% of Dakar 18 player had earned. which gives Dakar 18 total global players/sales of 11,155 on PS4!

Feel free to add your own and we can update as the results come in (please post a link to the video so we can verify).

Holy 🤬 welcome back man

Kudusprime stats are a good 10% or more out. When PD announced over 5.5m players back in July, Kudosprime was around 4.2m-4.8m.

Didn't PD announce "over 5 million", not 5.5m? edit: oh, I see, they tweeted 'over 5' and facebooked '5.5'.

Anyway, yeah, Kudos does seem to be a bit out. My point is that the number of profiles isn't a stat in the same way as the others. Profiles start at 1000000 and go up to somewhere between 7800000 and 7900000 currently - we can check that simply by trying URLs like:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/7800000/overview
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/7900000/overview

By that measure, between 6.8 and 6.9 million profiles, and that is the absolute maximum. Some 300k to 400k of those played the demo only. The remaining discrepancy with Kudos, IIRC, is accounted for by some profiles being invalid and, granted, extrapolating the proportion of those from a sample might be quite inaccurate (and on the flip side, Sony calling those invalid profiles 'players' also wouldn't be accurate, but they probably have done exactly that).

So between the raw number of profiles being a bit over, and Kudos being perhaps a bit under, we have a much more accurate estimate than that calculated by the 'rarest trophy' method.

Last edited:
GTS is my most played with 340 hours, closely followed by The Witcher 3 (262) and Fallout 4 (250), which is pretty amazing since those other two have stories and massive worlds with hundreds of locations and characters, and GTS is apparently unfinished ;)

Just curious how they calculate this, sales?

I'm probably one of those 7.5 million that hasn't touched GT in a year, no longer own a PS4.

I put the calculation into the article :D

As for Sony... I'm almost entirely sure that the percentage of people achieving a trophy is "profiles which have achieved the trophy" divided by "profiles which have at least started the game in order for the trophy record to install" (multiplied by 100).

Probably based on the number of players who has ever played the game, since it’s counting trophies. If you just count sales you could end up with >100% of players earning certain trophies, since a single retail copy can be used by several accounts.

Edit: And for estimating the number of players one should use the most common trophy, since a higher percentage gives a higher precision. With a precision down to 0.1%, the uncertainty is +/- 0.1% (since it could be floor, rounded or ceiling).

If 10’000 players equals 0.1%, then the uncertainty makes the total player number anything between 5 million and infinite.

If 9,000,000 players equals 90.0%, that makes the total player number somewhere between 9,990,000 and 10,010,000.

So look for the most common trophy you can find and base the estimate on that.

Last edited:
Kudosprime uses the API and has some extrapolation. There was someone who also wrote the stats down by scanning the entire API.

That video is straight from the source: Playstation. They are simply looking at trophy data which afaik should be entirely accurate as its a PS4 system level feature.

This isn't a third party site, its Playstations own numbers. I'd trust it more than the API however some of the numbers for some games look a bit iffy.

Also no offline players are counted

And for estimating the number of players one should use the most common trophy, since a higher percentage gives a higher precision. With a precision down to 0.1%, the uncertainty is +/- 0.1% (since it could be floor, rounded or ceiling).

If 10’000 players equals 0.1%, then the uncertainty makes the total player number anything between 5 million and infinite.

If 9,000,000 players equals 90.0%, that makes the total player number somewhere between 9,990,000 and 10,010,000.

So look for the most common trophy you can find and base the estimate on that.
Which is where my estimate in the article comes from, and why :D

Kudosprime uses the API and has some extrapolation.
I'm using extrapolation to make most of stats who need to use fresh data, but I did also scan all profiles.
I recently post drivers by country count in an other thread, this was an actual count, not an extrapolation ;)
That's why I don't see all the fuss about these indirect ways to count when it comes to GTS...

These numbers are not very reliable,the lower they are the closer they are to the real count of players,GT Sport doesn't have 7 million players,my theory is that 7 million could mean the playerbase is big enough for the game to be sucessiful but again it's not a very reliable number,it could be wrong...

GT Sport doesn't have 7 million players
Around 6.73 million profiles have loaded the game up far enough for the trophies to be installed within the profile.

Interestingly, we can also use that number to show that 2.51 million profiles have watched the Racing Etiquette videos that unlock Sport Mode (Master of Manners trophy for this has 37.4% completion).

So, this game has outsold GT6? I did not expect that to happen considering that it's lacking features and an extensive car list...

So, this game has outsold GT6? I did not expect that to happen considering that it's lacking features and an extensive car list...
Profiles/players aren't sales.

I've got one copy of GT Sport and at least four profiles, and if my daughter has played it too, that's five from one sale. For that matter I don't even play my purchased copy - that's in the box and I only bought it because I collect them. I play my review copy, so if I hadn't bought one, that'd be five+ profiles/players for zero sales of the game...

No sorry, but I can't make my own video there..
IMG_20181215_051931.jpg

Maybe they should have everyone's video English-only so a lot more thousand (if not million) people can make their own videos. Maybe!

Yes, I'm from a country that couldn't be included in this year's video, but why should they make it available in more languages?
I first watched that video in a German version and I had no idea what was going on.
Then watched an English version from @sems4arsenal and understood..

Back