GT Sport have over 5 million players

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 658 comments
However the stand out is that we now have Burnout which is hitting 10.5 million for the original and just under half a million for DCVR, for a total just shy of 11 million. Which I maintain support Sony were utterly daft to have shut down Evolution.

No one will attack Sony for closing Evo down more than me, but these numbers surely include the free PS plus players.

6.6 seems more realistic for GTSport (lines up more with Kudosprime), but I refuse to believe 10 million people played NFS 2015. There is no god. Granted I'm one, but I digress :lol:

So that’s four months without GTS appearing in the Top 40 in the UK. It looks like nearly every Euro country’s individual charts have Spider-Man far ahead, so I’m wondering what’s swinging (ba-dum-tish) it for EMEAA.

The faster full digital sales are counted the better.

Ah, NFS Payback is above GTS. Going by some folks’ logic, I guess that makes it the better game... :lol:
But but but, the sim racing genre is losing popularity. It's not like back then when gran turismo was big back in its day. :lol:

Now GT Sport have over 7 million players

screenshot_20190302-113j47.jpg

https://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/00_4975123.html

Last edited:
There will obviously be duplicate accounts but it is a decent metric to keep an eye on. GT Sport can only be purchased so you won’t have services like PS+ (or GameaPass equivalent) boosting numbers.

The Super Formula news seems to have made a pretty big hit amongst hardcore racers. Particularly Japanese gamers. If we do indeed get Spa, Silverstone etc. and more cool cars, in conjunction with the FIA events. I can see GT Sport getting a second wind in 2019 after a slow start to the year.

By the end of the year I wouldn’t be surprised to see GT Sport on PS+. Sony are now putting bigger titles on the service.

Surely the sales figure would be a more accurate representation of people playing the game, given that we know that duplicate accounts are used by the playerbase (and more duplicates cannot increase the number of players in the game at any one time).

I would also like to know the current numbers of people playing the game, given that sport mode shoehorns all players into participating into just three races in order to maintain depth of fields.

Like I said the site doing maths with trophy data is ********.
It's more what trophy data they're using than the idea of doing math with it.

When these estimates came out, I noticed the giant error margins involved with a lot of the data, because they were trying to calculate from the rarest trophies. In fact I said it at the time, in the article:

You should take the numbers with some caution however. While My PS4 Life is revealing precise player counts, the trophy rarity score only goes to one decimal place. This could affect the true player count by millions, so for now these values are estimates only.
Using the data from my main account, which has rare trophies, the upper bound of GT Sport player counts was 13.7 million. However, I have other accounts which do not have the rare trophies and one in particular that does not play anything apart from Gran Turismo. Using that account I was able to create an estimate of 6.73m (with an error margin of 3%), which I also put into the article:
Our own estimates from other trophies put GT Sport nearer to 6.73 million.
Together with today's numbers (and yours), that doesn't look like it was a bad estimate!

It's more what trophy data they're using than the idea of doing math with it.

When these estimates came out, I noticed the giant error margins involved with a lot of the data, because they were trying to calculate from the rarest trophies. In fact I said it at the time, in the article:

Using the data from my main account, which has rare trophies, the upper bound of GT Sport player counts was 13.7 million. However, I have other accounts which do not have the rare trophies and one in particular that does not play anything apart from Gran Turismo. Using that account I was able to create an estimate of 6.73m (with an error margin of 3%), which I also put into the article:

Together with today's numbers (and yours), that doesn't look like it was a bad estimate!
At least now we have some official numbers to compare directly with the last lot.

I wonder if they’ll hit 8m, maybe 9m by the end of the year? As I stated above, we should also look out for GT Sport being on PS+, in next 12 months. Ideal candidate to boost online numbers significantly in last 18 months of the PS4.

So what happened to the sales data from PD's website? I'm pretty sure they used to have sales for all GT games that would get updated every once in a while. It had total sales as well as sales for specific regions.

I just checked but it's no longer there. Did they remove this or am I missing something?

Like I said the site doing maths with trophy data is ********.
You mean the site that updated its stats back on the 11th Feb and has been showing 7.1 million players for GTS since then (and well before Sony made the same claim)...

gt 2.png

...seems its data isn't ******** at all.

I hope the game does well in the end,it deserves it.Probably the closest to a controversial racing game we are ever going to get but after the bumpy pre launch period things have been steady.

Posted by TetsuKobura on the other thread. GTSport sold 8 million copies worldwide based on this report.

https://www.astrongersony.com/wp-co...d/assets/A Stronger Sony Presentation.pdf?v=1

Estimated. Quite liberally, I'd say! From previous estimates, the number of profiles seemed to track about 30% higher than sales. And there's just over 8.4 million raw profiles now, which would put sales at about 6.5 million.

K'prime puts valid profiles at just shy of 8 million, however then calculates that 7.6 million have played the full game. So a lower bound could be 5.85 million sold.

I will note that the % of profiles that paid could well have changed over time for various reasons, but even so it's hard to come up with an upper bound that's much more than about 6.7 million sold.

Realistically, estimating 6 million would get pretty close.

I'm not saying any of that to be negative, just realistic. It's quite impressive to add 1.2 million or so players so far this year!

We've got to remember to take in account the people that may have participated in the open beta, that might be where the additional million have come from?

I think about 1 million played the open beta, and (from K' figures) about 400k didn't buy.

Last edited:
It is guess work. Only official figures from Sony/PD matter. Plenty of players play actively on multiple accounts to test if there's anything to learn from daily car awards.

It seems Yosp has confirmed the 8m sold figure. Certainly appears to be in that ballpark and still adding a consistent 40k-50k players per week.

6 million copies is a decent number for a racing sim,i dont know where the forza franchise sits on copies sold numbers but the whole racing genre kinda shrunk in the last few years.

6 millions? GT Sport sold 8 million copies, that is an official document from Sony and Yoshida has confirmed that number

I don't think the genre shrunk, not at all, in fact i'd say the opposite. The thing is there are just more options now, and with online, many will focus on one game. Would be interesting to compare the global sales of car racing games through time.

Back