GT Sport Mode need a Penalty fix asap, please Polyphony Digital...

Should the penalty system Get a fix

• Yes

Votes: 180 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 12.2%

• Total voters
I hate to say it but the 1.17 update has no fix for sport mode, I am so extremely frustrated right now and I think I am going to put the game down or just do lobby races, or mabe move on the a new game like project cars 2 thank you very much pd, I have been a fan of Gran Turismo since number one on ps1 And I loved gt5 and gt6 on PS3, I was also a beta tester for gt sport, This is just ridiculous ......
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_5242383.html

In every "collision" both parties are penalized, regardless of DR. If you are at fault you will get 3-5 seconds, if you are not then it is 1 second.

This is a completely terrible way of dealing with the problem. It would be better to deal either No penalty (instead of 1 second) and 10-30 seconds for the other penalties. That way, the player making the move is thinking "there needs to be room or my race is over" as it should be.

I raced yesterday and, I kid you not, first place, who ran off with the race, had no penalty. Second place, another fast driver, was fast enough to leave the pack but not fast enough to engage first, had no penalty. Everyone else had a penalty.

When everyone is penalized, do the penalties even matter anymore?

I think one of the things badly needed to help cut back on contact is to either get a ghosted 'car bumper' in Bumper cam, or just ditch Bumper cam and give us a proper 'Hood/Bonnet' cam so we can SEE the front of the car. Bumper cam may be a good way of seeing what ELSE is around you, but it is a lousy way to tell where the front of your car is. It seems to vary from car to car exactly how far out front it is. Some cars, the car in front almost fills the screen before you feel contact, others seem much further away before contact is made.

You can see from this video, the driver has no idea exactly how close he got to the car in front. And doesn't seem to understand why he got a penalty.

Obviously, until PSVR allows us to race in the cockpit without being badly blinkered (probably not until the PS5, maybe even PS6!), cockpit cam is a poor way to race, roof cam makes us do away with any mirrors, chase cam is a gamer thing (and horrible, IMHO, to drive a car with... FoV makes the track dimensions seem utterly wrong), and bumper cam loses the ability to judge how close we are to the car in front. But a camera just behind the windshield in a central position and a wide enough FoV to see both corners of the car (and if you don't want to drive from the middle of the car, just move your wheel and seat a bit to one side or the other!) is the best for judging not only your car's boundaries, so contact is always gaugeable when close to another car, but also fro a better impression of when you are starting to step out or understeer (compared to bumper cam you have a reference for the car, so can tell if moving straight or drifting).

I have always wondered why PD never offered the one view that mitigates most of the problems from the others.

I saved the replay, so I can cut our "incident" in a short clip. I just didn't press the share button, so we won't see the penalties (which were ridiculous btw) ;)

And I think we both ended the race with 5secs to spare!? :ill:

I thought it was on here already when @ROCKET JOE was talking about it!

Cant even remember now.

Bad racing for me at dragon trail today... battered SR!

However I disconnected from a race and my SR went up??! Was sitting in 2nd at the time lap 6 with clean race

I lost 30 points on DT from first a guy bumping me from behind in T1, then the same guy tries to drive through me in the right hander and pushes me into the car in front of me 10 sec. Which ghosted me, so he succeeded in driving through me....Then there's a group of 3 cars making a mess at the sharp turn before the bus stop, I can't evade in time, steer myself into the wall yet still tap one, 10 sec again. I'm all the way back now so pit early and just focus on driving a clean race. I pit too early so I have to pit again, fuel tank too small doh. So I'm one lap down, come up on the finish, second place slows right down to serve a penalty, I think I'm ghosted anyway and just cross the finish line. Wrong, at the line I hear a thunk, and +4 sec added to my +1 lap.... -30 SR

Another race I tap a car that spins out and is going 90 degrees sideways on the road in front of me, 10 sec. Then someone rams me into the wall while I'm on all the way on the inside, my car bounces back off the wall and takes him out, 10 sec for me....

Yes, this needs fixed, it's ridiculous.

What is more fustrating is when I get hit behind because of some person who underestimated the turn or did not bother braking at such a turn which requires slowing down. I cop the penalty too really unfair.

I still cant believe they havent figured out a way to make a threshold for contact that prevents unnecessary penalties. I keep getting 5-10sec penalties for minor contact with players such as rear ending them through a corner but while hard on the brakes and not disturbing them or changing their line or minor side scrapes when driving door to door. Nothing drives me crazier than when someone hits me lightly from behind not disturbing me at all and coming out with 1sec penalty while i get slapped with a 5 sec penalty.

The system needs to stop assuming the higher DR driver is at fault, and relax the threshold for penalizing contact. It's fairly simple, they have physics engines running, just determine the impact force and set a reasonable level to constitute a penalty. If it wont scratch the paint, then its not a penalty.

I still cant believe they havent figured out a way to make a threshold for contact that prevents unnecessary penalties. I keep getting 5-10sec penalties for minor contact with players such as rear ending them through a corner but while hard on the brakes and not disturbing them or changing their line or minor side scrapes when driving door to door. Nothing drives me crazier than when someone hits me lightly from behind not disturbing me at all and coming out with 1sec penalty while i get slapped with a 5 sec penalty.

The system needs to stop assuming the higher DR driver is at fault, and relax the threshold for penalizing contact. It's fairly simple, they have physics engines running, just determine the impact force and set a reasonable level to constitute a penalty. If it wont scratch the paint, then its not a penalty.

Yes you can get a 10 second penalty for bumping the back of a car after a corner, so it seems that of course people are now intentionally delaying acceleration out of corners so you touch them slightly and speed them up if anything and get a race ruining penalty on top. Yet people whack me off and drive on seemingly without a notable penalty, of course I get one for driving off the track. :banghead:

The system seems especially harsh when entering corners.
I lovetapped somebody who (in my opinion) braked too early on turn 1 at Interlagos, seriously he got a tiny bit of wiggle from it and then was well on his way. I get hit with a 10 second penalty.

This is a completely terrible way of dealing with the problem. It would be better to deal either No penalty (instead of 1 second) and 10-30 seconds for the other penalties. That way, the player making the move is thinking "there needs to be room or my race is over" as it should be.

I raced yesterday and, I kid you not, first place, who ran off with the race, had no penalty. Second place, another fast driver, was fast enough to leave the pack but not fast enough to engage first, had no penalty. Everyone else had a penalty.

When everyone is penalized, do the penalties even matter anymore?

I did the Manufacturer race Sunday night (I'm oddly good at Blue Moon Bay, don't know why), anyways - I qualified pole and let P2 past me on the back straight (not a fan of leading that race), a Brazilian driver swerving around is right behind me coming into turn 3 - I lift slightly and he mashes into my rear end causing me to bump P1 in front of me.

After it's all said and done, the P3 Brazilian get's 10 seconds, I get 5 seconds and P1 get's 1 second.
One guy (ONE GUY), was penalty free all race.

So frustrating
aWXWFc1.gif

I'm slowing down as the 2 cars in front of me are banging into each other. Car behind me seizes the opportunity to overtake, swerves into me, I get 5 sec penalty and SR Down while I'm going in a ****ing straight line.

I already had a penalty in a corner earlier when I held back as everyone was crashing into each other. Not much to make sense of yet someone needs to be punished, and as DR.A you're automatically the scape goat. -18 SR for those 2 incidents. I also got punted of the track later yet no penalty for that thank god. Yet perhaps it still contributed to more SR loss.

That's a totally unfair penalty, I've had some like that as well, I guess every driver (at least at DR/SR A and above anyway) has.

You even get them when you are exiting the pit lane (still in pit exit) and some clown decides to take the racing line that goes right through you anyway, common at Brands Hatch for instance, I don't know how it can think it's the car exiting the pits fault if it's still inside the lines. Yet others exit the pits by swerving across the track (common at Monza) and you get a penalty for them hitting you in that instance too.

Remember the dev for GT Sport on the PS forum said this:

"The penalty system will continue to be improved, so if you find judgement in certain situations that you do not find justified, it would be great if you could report it on this thread.
It will be easier to evaluate when is a movie attached, so when you make a report please attack a replay movie if you can.
(Please try using limited publication links on Youtube)"

Just wanted to put a reminder since we know they are watching that thread, or so they say;)

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/GT-Sport/Regarding-penalty-judgements/m-p/25604944

5s penalty coming out of the pits

Something like this happened to me recently in a race c lobby, it was a gr4 at Suzuka.

I was a couple seconds behind the guy in ahead, we both pit on the same lap. He changed his tires, I didn’t. We came out at pretty much the exact same time as a result. We were both ghosted and ours cars were sharing the exact bit of track. Somehow I got a 5 second penalty out of that, cant remember if the other guy got one.

So frustrating
aWXWFc1.gif

I'm slowing down as the 2 cars in front of me are banging into each other. Car behind me seizes the opportunity to overtake, swerves into me, I get 5 sec penalty and SR Down while I'm going in a ****ing straight line.

I already had a penalty in a corner earlier when I held back as everyone was crashing into each other. Not much to make sense of yet someone needs to be punished, and as DR.A you're automatically the scape goat. -18 SR for those 2 incidents. I also got punted of the track later yet no penalty for that thank god. Yet perhaps it still contributed to more SR loss.

I got a similar penalty on the oval yesterday. Slowed down for a crash ahead on the straight, car behind flies by me on the inside, grazes my rear quarter. I get the penalty, and they end the race with a blue SR rating, I dropped to a red.

Here's another one from a race just now
xWbvuBz.gif

If that's not a bump pass I don't know what is anymore.

When you start on Willow, use the car in front as your brake or guide rail, apparently that's what the game wants you to do. He had no penalty and a blue rating. I got red, 10 sec penalty, -4 SR for a further clean race.

The system seems especially harsh when entering corners.
I lovetapped somebody who (in my opinion) braked too early on turn 1 at Interlagos, seriously he got a tiny bit of wiggle from it and then was well on his way. I get hit with a 10 second penalty.

I had almost the exact same scenario on lap 1, turn 1 at Dragon's Trail yesterday. He broke early and I hit him, but not hard enough for him to even lose his position. In my mind I'm thinking I'll get popped for 2 or 3 seconds. Wrong! I got a 9 second penalty. This was the start of he race, so by the time I served my penalty the entire field had passed me. That was the only contact I had with another car the whole race. I was even more shocked to see that I had gone down to SR/A (76) for the first time in nearly 800 races (combined on two characters). This happened on a second account/character (Couchlock47 is also me).

*Edited for an additional comment;

As frustrated as I am with this system. I'm "somewhat" optimistic that PD will fix this. As @spidermonkey stated above, they know about it, and are welcoming feedback. And, they have in fact fixed many of the issues that were complained about in mass in the past.

Last edited:
I’ve been taking a break from online racing, so I assumed this penalty issue might’ve been a bit overblown. In the few races I’ve done, I’ve received four penalties for poor driving on the other racer’s behalf. I’ve also had people receive penalties for perfectly fine overtake attempts on me. Those same drivers also felt the need to apologise for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Remember the dev for GT Sport on the PS forum said this:

"The penalty system will continue to be improved, so if you find judgement in certain situations that you do not find justified, it would be great if you could report it on this thread.
It will be easier to evaluate when is a movie attached, so when you make a report please attack a replay movie if you can.
(Please try using limited publication links on Youtube)"

Just wanted to put a reminder since we know they are watching that thread, or so they say;)

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/GT-Sport/Regarding-penalty-judgements/m-p/25604944

Thank for the link, I just posted this in there:

Hello, thanks to the penalty system awarding a penalty to the victim, in 1 daily GR4 race at Interlagos yesterday, I lost 59 SR and therefore 26,000 DR.

Can I be bothered to grind sport mode to get the DR back? No thanks, not until the penalty system stops penalising the obvious victim. If I'd lost 1 less SR, I wouldn't have lost all that DR. If I'd "only" lost 40 SR, my DR would have reset to 70,000. Go figure. Total lottery! Please sort it out.

Can I be bothered to grind sport mode to get the DR back? No thanks, not until the penalty system stops penalising the obvious victim. If I'd lost 1 less SR, I wouldn't have lost all that DR. If I'd "only" lost 40 SR, my DR would have reset to 70,000. Go figure. Total lottery! Please sort it out.

I've been updating my old summary post on the DR resets for 1.15+. It really is very harsh now, and I'm starting to suspect that they've stopped it boosting DR up - I haven't heard of that happening recently, anyway.

It is ridiculous that you can lose so much SR and then gain it back so quickly. It has become a useless score, that measures who you started in front of in the last race more than anything else.

I've been updating my old summary post on the DR resets for 1.15+. It really is very harsh now, and I'm starting to suspect that they've stopped it boosting DR up - I haven't heard of that happening recently, anyway.

It is ridiculous that you can lose so much SR and then gain it back so quickly. It has become a useless score, that measures who you started in front of in the last race more than anything else.
Interesting... does it still depend on SR dropping 2 levels or more past your DR level?

Interesting... does it still depend on SR dropping 2 levels or more past your DR level?

The SR drop thresholds are 5 SR below each SR level, e.g. SR B is 40 to 64, and the 'dropping into SR C' threshold is at 35.

I'm not sure what DR test it does now. One guess at a fixed version for the 40k reset would be simply:

IF (SRpre >= 60 AND SRpost < 60 AND DR > 40000) THEN DR = 40000

so that's just checking that DR won't be increased. But it could be higher, say DR > 50000 (which would be true for the two cases I've seen reported so far). Obviously, people are more likely to notice and post about it when they have lost a significant amount of DR!

Back