GT4 Rallye Challenge

• Thread starter Matej
  • 188 comments
I thought it would be hard to set consistent laps on Grand Canyon but it seems the larger track is, the more room you have for adjusting your pace. It will be interesting to see how the others did here. :)

Well as the Power requirement is less than 130HP, all the stock cars should be fine, I'm assuming Matej checked that before submitting the list. Meaning only you fella's who have been messing with turbo's & NA kits have to make sure your cars are illegible.
The current tuning rules simulate low-budget rallying where independet teams would show up with some really wicked combinations. Stock or tuned, both is good as long as restrictions aren't being compromised.

I've been thinking. Will there be a decades sort of championship (i.e 80s, 90s, 00s)? And if so will they use road cars or the actual rally cars?
The system is set to cover every aspect of rallying in GT4 through few rounds, by gradully increasing abilities of eligible vehicles and offering different courses each time.

When taking into consideration that Shotamagee may submit his times by the end of this week and the fact that we haven't heard any input from RetroDriver yet, I was wondering which of these models should be the best:

* Post complete schedule of the challenge - i.e. list of all round and their respective cars, courses and tuning rules and give deadline of about 20' days by which everyone needs to submit times of all the rounds. After the deadline, results would be pronounced for each round and this would conclude the challenge.

** Do nothing, wait for others. Round per round.

*** Post round 2 and set 10 days deadline by which times of round 1 and 2 must be submitted.

Advantage of * model is that you can freely plan your daily gaming and other activities and do rounds as you see fit, without waiting for others. Disadvantage of * model is that you won't be able to track progress of other drivers per rounds (because results are revealed at once, at the end of the challenge, not partially) and you lose that anticipation factor prior each round that allegedly increases joy of running events like this one. Model *** is an emergency alternative to model **.

I thought about this for a while. Some of you have other challenges / life-activities going on so I'm trying to find comfortable solution for everyone. Vote for models and express opinions.

I like option 2 and 3. Mainly because you could plan what cars and upgrades to use. Still it could cause problems. I don't like option one because it would look like a huge task to complete all the tracks in the amount of time given (even if it is 20 days). Still I'll leave it up to you guys.

When taking into consideration that Shotamagee may submit his times by the end of this week and the fact that we haven't heard any input from RetroDriver yet, I was wondering which of these models should be the best:

* Post complete schedule of the challenge - i.e. list of all round and their respective cars, courses and tuning rules and give deadline of about 20' days by which everyone needs to submit times of all the rounds. After the deadline, results would be pronounced for each round and this would conclude the challenge.

*** Post round 2 and set 10 days deadline by which times of round 1 and 2 must be submitted.

Advantage of * model is that you can freely plan your daily gaming and other activities and do rounds as you see fit, without waiting for others. Disadvantage of * model is that you won't be able to track progress of other drivers per rounds (because results are revealed at once, at the end of the challenge, not partially) and you lose that anticipation factor prior each round that allegedly increases joy of running events like this one. Model *** is an emergency alternative to model **.

I thought about this for a while. Some of you have other challenges / life-activities going on so I'm trying to find comfortable solution for everyone. Vote for models and express opinions.
I sent you a message, Matej.

Well, in my opinion, what cars should be in Round 2 are:
Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 (it has 190 HP after it is bought from UCD)
Peugeot 205 T16 '85 (it has around 200 HP)
Renault 5 Turbo '80
Volkswagen Golf IV GTi
Honda Civic Type R '98
Mazda MX-5 1800 RS '04
Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '97 (other versions of FTO will be eligible)
Opel Speedster Turbo '03 (The game claims as 2000, but the year is incorrect because the Turbo version did not exist until 2003)
Lotus Elise Sport 190 '98 (Motorsport Elise, 111R, Elise '00 and 111S will be eligible)
Toyota Corolla Runx Z Aerotourer '02
Tommy Kaira ZZ-S '00
Acura RSX Type-S '04
Dome ZERO '78
Nissan Skyline Type M '91
Hyundai HCD6 '01
Hommell Berlinette R/S '99
Seat Ibiza Cupra R '04
Ford Focus RS '02
Renault Avantime '02
Renault Clio 2.0 16v '02
Citroen Xsara VTR '03
Alpine A110 1600S '72 (I say '72 because this Alpine was actually converted to premium in GT6 while PD forgot to delete the '73 version)
Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twinspark '02
Spoon Fit Race Car
Nissan mm-R Cup Car '01
Audi quattro '82
BMW 120i '04 (120d will be eligible)

What do you think?

Well, in my opinion, what cars should be in Round 2 are:
Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 (it has 190 HP after it is bought from UCD)
Peugeot 205 T16 '85 (it has around 200 HP)
Renault 5 Turbo '80
Volkswagen Golf IV GTi
Honda Civic Type R '98
Mazda MX-5 1800 RS '04
Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '97 (other versions of FTO will be eligible)
Opel Speedster Turbo '03 (The game claims as 2000, but the year is incorrect because the Turbo version did not exist until 2003)
Lotus Elise Sport 190 '98 (Motorsport Elise, 111R, Elise '00 and 111S will be eligible)
Toyota Corolla Runx Z Aerotourer '02
Tommy Kaira ZZ-S '00
Acura RSX Type-S '04
Dome ZERO '78

Nissan Skyline Type M '91
Hyundai HCD6 '01
Hommell Berlinette R/S '99

Seat Ibiza Cupra R '04
Ford Focus RS '02
Renault Avantime '02
Renault Clio 2.0 16v '02
Citroen Xsara VTR '03
Alpine A110 1600S '72 (I say '72 because this Alpine was actually converted to premium in GT6 while PD forgot to delete the '73 version)
Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twinspark '02
Spoon Fit Race Car
Nissan mm-R Cup Car '01

Audi quattro '82
BMW 120i '04 (120d will be eligible)

What do you think?

The ones that are in bold shouldn't be eligible. However this is my opinion. Personally I think we could do a budget rally car contest. That could draw more attention and I think would be a lot more fun.

What do you think?
Harsk100,

I think we are not going to get anywhere in a way like this. I want you to express your opinion about the models present in post #66; submitting bunch of possible cars that may appear next is completely inappropriate and contra-productive at this moment. It is like you are trying to pull somehing from me by force even though we both agreed that won't happen.

I understand you want to start driving as soon as possible (we all want to) but the only way how we are going to achieve quickly this is by fixing the current issue present in post #66. Refer to it and express your opinion.

That is what I think.

Last edited:
Harsk100,

I think we are not going to get anywhere in a way like this. I want you to express your opinion about the models present in post #66; submitting bunch of possible cars that may appear next is completely inappropriate and contra-productive at this moment. It is like you are trying to pull somehing from me by force even though we both agreed that won't happen.

I understand you want to start driving as soon as possible (we all want to) but the only way how we are going to achieve quickly this is by fixing the current issue present in post #66. Refer to it and express your opinion.

That is what I think.
Ah! So I've heard:

I like option #1 and #2. Because you could plan the cars and upgrades which are allowed. But for other side, I think that we should wait for the rest of drivers.

So, as I cannot always think myself, it's better to wait for the rest of drivers. Because if we start the round all together, then we have to finish the challenge all of us together.

Therefore, I'll vote in option #2.

Matej AKAIK, its your competition run it however you want, people ok with that will compete, anyone who isn't, probably was never that serious anyway.

There is missing just 2 drivers, right?

I have sent Retro Driver an message.

I'll send shotamagee a message.

You 'like'ed a post where I said I should have my times done by the end of the week, then send me a message asking me to post my times a day later, as soon as I do them I'll post them.

The very first thing I asked was, is there a time limit for this round?, once told there wasn't one I entered; I don't/can't play every day. Please find some patience.

There is missing just 2 drivers, right?
These people I know are doing it:

You
Me
@Matej
@shotamagee

@RetroDriver is MIA as of this point in time.
Yep, we have five drivers on the grid at the moment. Three submissions have already been received, two more to go.

And Harsk100, I apologize if my messages sounded overly harsh, I honestly didn't want them to be. I should have put some smiles, this way they look really overexcited, lol.

The car list that you posted above is good. If you get a grasp of how the system works you can easily deduce which cars may appear next. But a car list doesn't mean anything unless we have an eligible list circuits on which to practice. Disclosing these two informations would contradict model 2 which got the most votes, which is why we should wait with informations until we get all submissions.

By the way, I have found that you can B-spec Special Conditions circuits in Photo Drive mode. :odd: Does anyone knows this ?

Last edited:
Yep, we have five drivers on the grid at the moment. Three submissions have already been received, two more to go.

And Harsk100, I apologize if my messages sounded overly harsh, I honestly didn't want them to be. I should have put some smiles, this way they look really overexcited, lol.

The car list that you posted above is good. If you get a grasp of how the system works you can easily deduce which cars may appear next. But a car list doesn't mean anything unless we have an eligible list circuits on which to practice. Disclosing these two informations would contradict model 2 which got the most votes, which is why we should wait with informations until we get all submissions.

By the way, I have found that you can B-spec Special Conditions circuits in Photo Drive mode. :odd: Does anyone knows this ?
No problem, Matej. And I'm sorry for me being unpatient. 👍

Do you want the lap number's from each run or the cumulative total?

Ie. I do 5 laps, then exit and watch the replay. I then try again, with laps 3 & 4 of my second run being the closest, would I submit these as laps 3 & 4 (what the replay says) or as laps 8 & 9 (my actual total)?

I can't run until the weekend at the very soonest, so if needs be then submit without me
In the worst case I can update your times after the results are pronounced, we haven't completed the first round yet after all. But we'll see what to do when I receive another submission.

Do you want the lap number's from each run or the cumulative total?

Ie. I do 5 laps, then exit and watch the replay. I then try again, with laps 3 & 4 of my second run being the closest, would I submit these as laps 3 & 4 (what the replay says) or as laps 8 & 9 (my actual total)?
Whatever is more convenient for you, the lap number is not that important as consecutive laps are. We can always discuss how much each of us run total laps later on.

That makes four submissions right now. Since RetroDriver said he is not going to submit times until the weekend I may pronounce the results and open second round.

Of course, RetroDriver can submit R1 times afterwards, while we are running second round, in which case I will just update the results. However, once we reach the end of the second (and any following) round, situations like this should be avoided.

I'm going to set the rules for the second run as soon as possible.

EDIT:

By using the output from Random.org website the limit for each course are:

Ice Arena: 1 penalty point per 0'00.750 sec
Grand Canyon: 1 penalty point per 0'00.200 sec
Chatedral Rocks II Reverse: 1 penalty point per 0'00.600 sec

I'm now going to open the submissions and pronounce the results.

EDIT 2:

Ok, the Round 2 has been set. Don't forget you can't use Round 1 car anymore. The results will be pronounced in a next few hours.

EDIT 3:

The results have been published. However, I had to reduce limit per course in relation to figures present under Edit 2 because by equalizing everyone's chances, making competition of round 1 a bit worthless.

This are the limits for the round 1:

Ice Arena: 0'00.075 sec
Grand Canyon: 0'00.020 sec
Chatedral Rocks II Reverse: 0'00.060 sec

Under these limits the results were published. Notice the ratio between limits hasn't changed.

EDIT 4:

Forget about previous edits. This one is the real. Use edits above only for reference what happened.

I've changed rules a little bit. Previous system jeopardized entire event so I scraped penalty points and added penalty times. Read the entire first post again. If anything is unclear I will explain.

Round 2 is finally opened. You can run numerous laps on listed circuits but submit number of consecutive laps listed by each course. For example:

Tsukuba Circuit - 4 laps

It means you have to watch your replay and submit to me 4 consecutive laps you think are the most consecutive. After I receive all submissions I will pronounce two target laps and valuate difference between them.

I misculated back there. My apologies. :( This was the only way to correct things.

Last edited:
Some things I figured out:

1: @shotamagee is really consistent with his times
2: @Harsk100 made a good choice for a fastest lap competition
3: I'm very confused with the new "target lap" system
4: I hate you a little more now for having Chamonix as one of the tracks for round 2.

3: I'm very confused with the new "target lap" system
Let's say the rule says this:

Chamonix - 3 laps

Let's say you run 10 laps on Chamonix. Watch replay, write down all the laps and for submission choose 3 consecutive laps that are more consistent by your opinion. It can be for example 1-2-3 or 4-5-6 or 6-7-8. Any combination will do as long as you think its consecutive enough. Submit those three laps, let's say combo 6-7-8.

Once I receive all submissions I will randomly choose only two target laps per course. For example 2 & 3. It can't go higher than 3 because 3 is limitation on Chamonix.

That means that lap 7 and 8 would go into valuation. Difference between lap 7 and 8 will serve as your extra penalty times for that course.

What probably confuses you is that I rename those laps:

6 becomes 1
7 becomes 2
8 becomes 3

4: I hate you a little more now for having Chamonix as one of the tracks for round 2.
And I thought Ice Arena is the one people hate. There are some interesting cars on the list that should persuade you to think otherwise.

Let's say the rule says this:

Chamonix - 3 laps

Let's say you run 10 laps on Chamonix. Watch replay, write down all the laps and for submission choose 3 consecutive laps that are more consistent by your opinion. It can be for example 1-2-3 or 4-5-6 or 6-7-8. Any combination will do as long as you think its consecutive enough. Submit those three laps, let's say combo 6-7-8.

Once I receive all submissions I will randomly choose only two target laps per course. For example 2 & 3. It can't go higher than 3 because 3 is limitation on Chamonix.

That means that lap 7 and 8 would go into valuation. Difference between lap 7 and 8 will serve as your extra penalty times for that course.

What probably confuses you is that I rename those laps:

6 becomes 1
7 becomes 2
8 becomes 3

And I thought Ice Arena is the one people hate. There are some interesting cars on the list that should persuade you to think otherwise.
1st: I'd like to thank you for the explanation. I understand it now.

2nd: Ice Arena wasn't too bad because it was a small course. Chamonix is too long (in my opinion). I'm going to test the Delta and possibly some other cars on the list. If you see some horrible lap times on Chamonix don't blame me, I just hate the track.

Yeah serious props to @shotamagee. I haven't seen that kind of consistency in a long time.

I'm going to run my laps tonight or tomorrow evening when I get home from a Thanksgiving dinner.

Few points; first thanks all, just luckyish I don't think I'm actually as consistent as my results show.

As consistency was what we're looking for I tried to drive around 99% speed for all the circuits, I didn't try to particularly speed up or slow down towards the end of any laps, I just tried not to make any mistakes.
The only time I checked my splits was on Grand Canyon, both times I noticed I was about 1.800 off my best lap through the last sector so I hoped they'd be close.

Eg. At Ice Arena I did a 57.701 (from memory) just before I did the 57.745. I thought wow that's pretty close (I was just aiming for within 0.100 coming in) probably won't beat that, still might as well finish the next lap, then Bam 57.744 next lap, had no idea they would be that close.
For reference; I think my 2nd best consecutive lap gaps we're Ice Arena 0.040(per above), GC approx 0.110 & CRIIR 0.038.

Also having a slower car makes it easier to lap consistently, less speed = more margin for error, so i'm not surprised the slower cars did better that the fast ones for this.

1. I think increasing the lap count is good, no way I'll be posting times as good as round 1 if we're doing 3-4 laps instead of just 2, hence I think it is a bit more indicative of actual consistency.

2. Track length should have some barring on the time limits; doing 2 laps within a 0.500 isn't that hard at Ice Arena (IMO, Sorry Harsk) because the lap is less than a minute, but pulling that off at Grand Canyon at 3 mins(ish) per lap is a lot tougher.

3. Don't hate on Chamonix, it's probably my favourite rally course. (Grand Canyon is the one I'm least fond of)

4. Leaning towards using the Alpine A110 for round 2, Rear Engine FTW.

I always keep my pace around 85-90%, so that I can increase or reduce my pace if neccesary. With A112 that was not only recommended but mandatory due to body roll that may sent you away if not careful.

BMW has some nice lineup this round, I will definetly check them out.

I have included N3 tyres for Tsukuba Wet as some people say they have better grip than sport compound (in real-life that would be true) but I haven't tested that yet.

Back