GT5 delayed. Release date now TBA

• Thread starter matthsv05
  • 555 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, people, no need to get angry. After a short period of having a release date for ONE COUNTRY in the entire world, Gran Turismo 5 has gone back to the status where it has been for YEARS now:

Release Date: TBA

Now, move on, nothing else to see, check other games, other genres, other platforms.

While the mammoth has been sleeping or doing whatever keeps it occupied, other mammals, some large, some small, have been filling up the valley. When the mammoth wakes up, they'll all go hiding, only to return for his next 5 years sleep.

You are absolutely right. This does not minimize my anger, but you are right.

Instead of saving for and look forward to GT5, I think I will look elsewhere. Sony and PD are shameless, the best way to let them know is by going elsewhere indeed.

Your sarcasm towards NissanSkylineN1 is out of line. Some people have legitimate reasons for complaints and frustration.

No. No-one has legitimate reasons for complaints and frustration. Allow me to demonstrate:

At best Sony and PD have been misleading their fan/customer base.

GT5's release date is "TBA". For the majority of the world it has never been anything but "TBA". After the announcement that it's "TBA" in Japan too, it's still "TBA". The worldwide release date has never changed - this news changes absolutely nothing. This should lend itself to the conclusion that the game isn't yet finished and news of its release will be announced when it is.

Now, tell me how that's misleading anyone?

OK, I see that there was sarcasm in my comment that was picked up the wrong way and blew up in my face. You all have fun stressing about a game... I'll go away and leave you to it... Play nice now boys! Buh-BYe!

Apologies to those I offended with my comments... guess I hit a touchy subject...

That's just the thing. I'm not. I'm sat behind my laptop because I have to study for my exams and like to browse forums in the meantime. Your comments are simply cheap and, as you admit you're not even intrested in the topic, just looking for reactions.

However understandable the frustration might be, I agree with the assessment that Sony and PD are not misleading anyone, unlike some other people - online retailers for example, who publish "release dates" at their leisure, or ill-informed gaming news websites that write articles entitled "GT5 delayed again"... both of those really are misleading, and obviously do not help matters when we are talking about the frustrations of the waiting public. This is exactly the reason why there is a thread in this forum asking people to refrain from posting "release date" threads, because they are misleading and ultimately just annoy us.

The level of stupidity in this thread is ridiculous. Some of you really need to find better things to do.

Last edited:
No. No-one has legitimate reasons for complaints and frustration. Allow me to demonstrate:

I dunno man. I'm in Japan, and I would have bought it off the shelf at the end of March. Now I don't know when it's coming, and that's a little frustrating.

Is that unjustified?

That's just the thing. I'm not. I'm sat behind my laptop because I have to study for my exams and like to browse forums in the meantime. Your comments are simply cheap and, as you admit you're not even intrested in the topic, just looking for reactions.

Curiousity got the best of me and look what I find.

So now I'm a troll?? I also find it very daft that you call my comments cheap. If you feel the need to drag this on and blow it out of proportions I highly suggest you take this to the PM. I dont understand why you and Mr. TokyoDrift feel the need to call me out on this when someone else stated something similar a couple of posts before mine.

...snip...

Some of you people really do need to get a grip, or at least assess your priorities.

My question to Patriot Zero was genuine and I was really curious if his aggrevation was real. Thats just how I interpreted his posts. In after-thought the "priorities" line could have been left out, but I didnt choose to do that. I suggest you just leave it for what it is, I did that two posts ago already, but you felt the need to retort so I offer some explanation... I'll see the PMs if you feel it necessary....

On Topic: I hope they announce things soon so the frustation levels on here can drop a little.... getting out of hand....

I dunno man. I'm in Japan, and I would have bought it off the shelf at the end of March. Now I don't know when it's coming, and that's a little frustrating.

Is that unjustified?

Hmmmm... in part.

Throughout the buildup to GT5 we've always seen claims of a unified worldwide release (or as close as it gets in gaming - the same 3 day period). The announcement of a concrete (hur hur hur) release date for Japan always seemed incongruous with the TBA for elsewhere and the notion of a worldwide release.

That said, your point is valid - up until then no-one posting about how pissed off they were with the delay were people who were completely unaffected by it.

This just hit me. Compare GT to Apple products. All the hype that get's created around the new products is the same. The quality of their releases and how far ahead in time they appear to be is also very alike, usually re-setting the standards in many ways (despite a few faults).

The differences are:
- apple delivers frequently, which is inherent to the type of product. New iPod range every year. New iPhone every year (thus far...). New computers once or twice a year, and a revolution once and then;
- and either it's a surprise with new stuff (because no one knew exactly what was being done, and their developers don't go around giving interviews and saying "it's almost done"), or you just know what to expect every November (I think) with the new lineup of MAC's or July (thus far) with a new iPhone.

Knowing exactly what they are working on (a full GT5 with all the features we have confirmed so far) together with the time PD or Sony is taking to release this, and Kaz saying "soon" or "it's basically done" as he did in November (?) is what is making a difference, and it's making this hype start to backfire on them.

Someone said we should only complain of lack of communication. Well, since they are not prepared to deliver facts and dates (and stick to them), maybe it's the other way around. Maybe a full black-out and Kaz restraining from interviews and we not having the slightest idea or suggestion of what to expect or when would be better. We should have no communication at all until they were good and ready to say "it's here".

Like Apple is doing with all the speculation around the iTablet/iTouch or whatever they are supposed to be launching. We don't even know if, when or the name of the thing. And it will make a killing anyways... or a new iPhone in July. It's "expected", so they will most likely deliver as they did twice now with the 3G and the 3Gs.

Or not... Maybe I'm just tired from working (and posting at the same time) and this may make no sense at all.

GT5's release date is "TBA". For the majority of the world it has never been anything but "TBA". After the announcement that it's "TBA" in Japan too, it's still "TBA". The worldwide release date has never changed - this news changes absolutely nothing. This should lend itself to the conclusion that the game isn't yet finished and news of its release will be announced when it is.

You are forgetting PD (Kaz) and Sony's statements these past 9 months. They are stringing the GT fans along pulling us all (the fans) by the nose. And yes, I am sorry but I personally have seen NOTHING to justify the 3 years since GT5p was released. We have seen nothing, no improvement since then. Kaz should stay at the office instead of giving useless, meaningless and misleading interviews. I personally don't get all the adulation for the guy. Some of us have spent good money buying their console based on their misleading statements. The Forza franchise has made progress by leaps and bounds in far less time. At this rate they will be way ahead of the GT franchise very soon.

Some of us are not getting any younger, the 5 year (now 6 years by the time it releases) development time is plain ridiculous. I hate MS for well documented reasons, but Sony/PD are topping the honors. I am personally getting quite fed up with their b*** s***. As customers, we should not accept this kind of manipulation from anyone.

Listen guys Kaz could fart on this forum and all youl smell is roses or some comment about improved engine noises.

You are forgetting PD (Kaz) and Sony's statements these past 9 months. They are stringing the GT fans along pulling us all (the fans) by the nose.

I'll take that as a "no" then?

And yes, I am sorry but I personally have seen NOTHING to justify the 3 years since GT5p was released.

What have you been told you will get? Nothing.

We have seen nothing, no improvement since then.

What have you been told you will get? Nothing.

Kaz should stay at the office instead of giving useless, meaningless and misleading interviews.

Like what? When did he state a release date for GT5 - any release date?

I personally don't get all the adulation for the guy. Some of us have spent good money buying their console based on their misleading statements.

Why would anyone buy a £300 (£400 if you bought one at launch) console for a £40 game which has never had a release date escapes me. You've never been promised this game by anyone, least of all PD (who don't govern release dates anyway) or Sony.

The Forza franchise has made progress by leaps and bounds in far less time. At this rate they will be way ahead of the GT franchise very soon.

None of which is relevant to the fact you've never been given a release date.

Some of us are not getting any younger, the 5 year (now 6 years by the time it releases) development time is plain ridiculous.

Why? On what basis do you form that opinion? Have you ever released a game like GT5? And of course none of this is relevant to the fact you've never been given a release date.

I hate MS for well documented reasons, but Sony/PD are topping the honors.

What, because you have stupidly unrealistic expectations that they have never fuelled? Sounds like your problem to me.

I am personally getting quite fed up with their b*** s***. As customers, we should not accept this kind of manipulation from anyone.

What manipulation? You have never been promised any release date.

So the question you decided not to answer stands:

Famine

This announcement has had no effect on you. You have not been mislead or manipulated. If you have chosen to believe a specific date is the release date for GT5, this is entirely your problem and not the fault of Sony/PD who have never stated one.

As with so many people complaining in this thread, I see a lot of blame directed outwards when it should be directed inwards. The release date you imagined isn't one Sony/PD gave to you.

Sorry, not an English native. Care to translate "diss"?

"dissing" is like insulting or putting someone or something down.

Anyways I never had a release date here in N.A. so I can't really get upset. If you are a gamer you should be used to waiting and anticipating and having your hopes crushed. This is the life of a gamer. :grumpy:

People seem to be overlooking the most important aspect of the current situation. Real info on GT5 has always been scarce, but since just before Christmas last year and continuing still, we have had the most promotion and showings of GT5 that we have ever had. This is a prolonged, coordinated campaign that I believe was indeed building up to the release in March 2010 for Japan. To that end, I do believe the March 2010 date was a genuine release date and not just put out there to appease the fans temporarily.

If there has indeed been a problem encountered in the physical production of the discs, then PD aren't going to allow this to completely ruin all the momentum that they were building with all these shows GT keeps appearing at. They will get the game out asap, because stalling it and losing this momentum will cost them a lot of money if they have to re-run their promotions from scratch for another 3 months later in the year.

Any delay between the Japanese and EU/NA versions will either be organic, or there will be no delay; by which I mean that I do not see any merit in imposing an arbitrary delay between the regions whilst several million EU/NA copies sit in a warehouse ready to ship. If there is a delay between regions, it will be due to localisation work taking place.

I feel that the possibility of a global release is now more likely, partly due to the promotional reasons I mentioned above as well as the futility in delaying an already finished EU/NA version (by June at least). Does PD want to have to stop promotions and restart them for a December release? (a date I think is very unlikely) or do they want to have to keep this GT5 roadshow running all year?.

Neither options seem very likely in my book.

Not meant like that...not the whole "thing".

I'm only comparing marketing strategies and Apple rules there. They sell a lot, and deliver within or above their costumer expectations.

apple has to deliver new products all the time because that's the kind of consumer they attract. Someone who doesn't care about much innovation just someone who wants something "new" every 6 months. If you look at GT1 and GT3, I think both those games took ~5 years to develop since they were the first of the series for the new platforms, ps1 and ps2. GT5 is no different. 5 years to make the first of the series for a new platform. All the chaos and panicking is the fault of consumer, not SONYs, IMO.

(...)All the chaos and panicking is the fault of consumer, not SONYs, IMO.

Which I respect. But all the latest videos, demos on shows and the interviews have been adding to the hype. The announced March date was a good time to deliver, and officially delaying (even if it's _only_ in Japan) was not very good either, was it?

Mr trouser plank. It's funny you should mention in the run up to Christmas felt like a real promotional push to get the game released. After Christmas hopes dashed, get my drift.

Hopes dashed? For a single region release "date" (which was never a date, simply "End of March", that's not a release date.) which gets put back due to a most likely synchronised multi-regional release date being decided by the marketing division of Sony. If people are getting their hopes dashed it's their own fault, which actually shows how badly the genre needs GT5, because the competition, is, well, rubbish.

Famine

You are playing with words. Insults diminish the validity of your statements further.

What Sony and PD have stated in countless interviews remains. The point you must be making however, is that neither Sony nor PD can be taken at their word at any level.

We come to these forums to exchange ideas, our excitement and to vent our frustration. My points were based on their statements and the evidence to date. Your points are based on their own play of words and vagueness.

I am happy for you if what they have said versus what they have yet to deliver satisfies you. It does not do for some of us. Playing GT5 is what this is about. Playing GT5 we are not, and will not for who knows how long.

Not meant like that...not the whole "thing".

I'm only comparing marketing strategies and Apple rules there. They sell a lot, and deliver within or above their costumer expectations.

Oh really:

http://gizmodo.com/5447250/the-faulty-imac-saga-chapter-1

For the record I am a Mac user, but a "former" fanboy. Don't get me started on Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back