GT5 Sound Thread

• Thread starter Marry_Me_GT
  • 5,638 comments
I just drove the new Honda for the first time today.... I'm so disappointed with the sound :-( I can't till the difference between it and the Hyundai tiburon

The mines GT-R in the final GT 5 version does not sound like the prologue one. In fact the prologue one sounds better, imo.

Even with a exhaust change, no GT-R gets the prologue soundsample. Somebody care to explain?

All I know is after the update the turbo sounds are louder in the roof cam I don't know if the supercharger sounds are louder.

I heard that the new 2.09 update improve the sounds all around? People are noticing more grunt to the engine sounds. Can someone please confirm?

Some cars have some details more audible, the turbocharged cars for example, you can listen to the turbo better, specialy in cockpit view.

The McLaren MP4-12C finally sounds good! :)

They did not even put every car from prologue to the game.(e.g. PD tuned lotus)

The Mines Skyline is in GT5. What he's saying is the sound was changed for the worse in the full game. Should have stayed the same as Prologue.

All I know is after the update the turbo sounds are louder in the roof cam I don't know if the supercharger sounds are louder.

I don't get how people keep saying "supercharger sounds" when I've never heard it at all. Adding a supercharger doesn't add the sound to any car in the game. (as it should) Just last night I supercharged a 370Z and even purchased a Mercedes SLK from the UCD that is supercharged from the factory. Neither car had any supercharger sounds...

I use the standard ps3 headset ("Official PS3 Wireless 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound Headset"), what sound setting is the best for it? Small theatre seems to be the general preference as for dynamic range, having looked around this thread a bit, but what's the optimal speaker layout? 7.1 or Virtual Surround I would guess? I've tried both, but have trouble testing which option provides the best directionality and sound quality. I know a "7.1" headset cannot compete with an actual 7.1 speaker setup for directionality. I just want to make sure I make the best with what I have. Thanks!

I use the standard ps3 headset ("Official PS3 Wireless 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound Headset"), what sound setting is the best for it? Small theatre seems to be the general preference as for dynamic range, having looked around this thread a bit, but what's the optimal speaker layout? 7.1 or Virtual Surround I would guess? I've tried both, but have trouble testing which option provides the best directionality and sound quality. I know a "7.1" headset cannot compete with an actual 7.1 speaker setup for directionality. I just want to make sure I make the best with what I have. Thanks!

Depends on how well your ear-brain, head and shoulders match up with the virtualisation Sony are using - each person needs bespoke "settings" to get the best out of it. If the virtual surround setting does nothing over straight 7.1, chances are you're not a close match to the "average" Sony used.

What virtual surround over headphones does better (for me) than discrete speakers using the classic channel per speaker mixing (i.e. practically all home theatre setups) is the sense of envelopment and fullness of sound, whilst the speakers win out on directionality (marginally) and the full-body sound experience, at the expense of the obvious sense of discrete sound sources, i.e. of being sat amongst a load of speakers.

What's supposed to be much better is the treatment of the speakers as an array of "exciters" to create a circular or spherical sound field, rather than as discrete sources - this means they all work together to create a much better sense of envelopment, and individual speakers "disappear". Each output sound channel is a component of the spherical harmonics that represent the sound field's "vibration", and each speaker gets a mix of each harmonic appropriate to its position in the array. That's in theory, at least, it needs some setting up and there's generally very little support despite it being pioneered in the 1970s, although Codemasters use it in their racing games. Check out "ambisonics" in general for more information, and try not to get too hung up on the vertical element, there are improvements to be had even using 2D speaker arrays and headphones (as Codies demonstrate).

Just thought of something regarding the HSV-010 in comparison to the other cars. When one listens to the outside and the inside of most the cars, really the onboard doesn't sound all that different from the outside (other then maybe being slightly more muffled or Gearwhine, which even then is present on Roof cam). For instance, the Peugeot 908 has this issue. The outside sounds exactly like the inside with the only difference being in volume and gearwhine. The HSV-010 on the other hand, Actually has a totally distinct difference in the outside having that scream (not exact, but still different) and the inside having the in-car muffle. Seems like this is the first car where PD has this difference in sound actually done well for once.

The new Corvette prototype sounds pretty good in my opinion, is it just me?

I don't think so, most people I've talked to seem to have a favourable opinion of the sound. It's not amazing or anything but pretty decent.

Cosbuster
I don't think so, most people I've talked to seem to have a favourable opinion of the sound. It's not amazing or anything but pretty decent.

It's better though

The Mines Skyline is in GT5. What he's saying is the sound was changed for the worse in the full game. Should have stayed the same as Prologue.

I don't get how people keep saying "supercharger sounds" when I've never heard it at all. Adding a supercharger doesn't add the sound to any car in the game. (as it should) Just last night I supercharged a 370Z and even purchased a Mercedes SLK from the UCD that is supercharged from the factory. Neither car had any supercharger sounds...

The only car I have heard with a supercharger sound is the 2000 camaro. It has a whine that I am pretty sure is a supercharger.

The only car I have heard with a supercharger sound is the 2000 camaro. It has a whine that I am pretty sure is a supercharger.

The SS? It's not supercharged (LS1), that sound is due to the ancillaries / accessories on the engine, like belts and pumps and stuff. Now, if they'd included the induction sound...

Griffith500
The SS? It's not supercharged (LS1), that sound is due to the ancillaries / accessories on the engine, like belts and pumps and stuff. Now, if they'd included the induction sound...

I think he means when putting the supercharger on.

Another car that you can hear the supercharger is the C3 corvette the premium one.

Rev it up around 1000 to 1500 RPM sounds amazing

I reckon that, like with the Cobra R, this is placebo.
No other cars change when putting a supercharger on, why would only those two?

Have you driven the C3 without the supercharger? That happens a lot, people fully mod a car and marvel at the realistic supercharger sound, totally unaware that that particular sound is there when stock...

Found another great (and realistic) exhaust, IMO.

RUF 3400S with semi-racing exhaust sounds just like a Porsche and pretty damn awesome. Great handling car, too.

It would be good to find a cockpit view video after 2.08 to show it better. :)

And it sounds amazing. It's a blast in 5.1. You can even hear some details while you change your gears.

counter345, thanks for the tip 👍

I will upload some videos with some cars I've discovered that it has some great sound.

Back