GT5 Sound Thread

• Thread starter Marry_Me_GT
  • 5,638 comments
music synphony

Fact: take off the gt5p sign, And every body and i mean every body would think that is real life.
Fact eh? The fact is, my mum could tell that was a game replay and not real life. The environment is too "clinical", the grass looks as artificial as it can do, there is way too much glare on the road surface, and there are graphical glitches in places. So, sorry to rain on your fire, but you need to re-evaluate were you get your facts from.

Yes, it looks nice, yes, it even sounds nice (on this one car), but I wish people would get it out of their head that GT = total realism. It doesn't. It's way down there in uncanny valley and shows no sign of climbing out yet.

Fact eh? The fact is, my mum could tell that was a game replay and not real life. The environment is too "clinical", the grass looks as artificial as it can do, there is way too much glare on the road surface, and there are graphical glitches in places. So, sorry to rain on your fire, but you need to re-evaluate were you get your facts from.

Yes, it looks nice, yes, it even sounds nice (on this one car), but I wish people would get it out of their head that GT = total realism. It doesn't. It's way down there in uncanny valley and shows no sign of climbing out yet.

obvious_troll.jpg

Kinetic, the insecure babies of the world are also obvious too. 'sup, can't handle the fact that not everybody agrees GT5 looks and sounds exactly like the real thing? Grow up.

Now now gentlemen... :)

Kinetic, Nomino does have a bit of a point, the sound in GT is lacklustre the vast majority of the time. Fine he could have said that in a more considered way, but if that's what you want him to do, you should have perhaps responded in a similar vein...

On the plus side, that picture is funny 👍

Kinetic, the insecure babies of the world are also obvious too. 'sup, can't handle the fact that not everybody agrees GT5 looks and sounds exactly like the real thing? Grow up.

It's a forum i can easily appriceate that, however i'm not to fond of those doing it for a reaction

I think one of the reasons the sound isn't great is because consoles as far as i know don't have a dedicated soundcard, it's more akin to you onboard motherboard sound on a cheap PC. Unlike playing back recorded sound, in games the sound has to be processed just like graphics, not just streamed, this will take quite a lot of processing power, hence why on pc games you have a choice to set the quality of audio, and even the number of effects sometimes.

As far as the PS3 is concerned that is, I'm afraid, total nonsense.

The audio properties of it are far in advance of most sound cards, particularly if you look at the PS3 slim.

The fat and standard models are able to bitstream audio in DD and DTS (upto a bitrate of 1.5mps), while the slim is also able to bitstream HD audio (up to a bitrate of 25mps).

That requires zero processing on the part of the PS3, as the raw audio is sent to the receiver and that does all the decoding of the audio package (up to 5.1 in the case of DD/DTS and 7.1 in the case of HD audio).

Even on the fat PS3, which has to decode HD-audio internally and then LPCM it to a receiver shows no difference at all in performance when you switch from Bitstreaming DD/DTS to LPCM.

Its a nice theory, just not one that actually holds any water, as for the sound not being great on GT5P (actually for some reason that seems to be far more true of the stereo audio coding rather than the full 7.1 PCM mix - which is actually not that bad), that certainly does not hold true for other titles.

Audio wise very little gets close to many titles on the PS3, a good example being MGS4, which pumps out a 7.1 PCM audio signal that knocks the hell out of a lot of BR releases.

Regards

Scaff

It's a forum i can easily appriceate that, however i'm not to fond of those doing it for a reaction
Oh really? We have a case of "pot calling the kettle black" then. Either practice what you preach, or save egg on your face.

If you had any idea what you were talking about, you would fully understand what "Uncanny Valley" is, and Gran Turismo (as well as any other game that tries to be realistic), is stuck in it right now. Sure, in still images with post-processing effects on replays, it can look pretty damn realistic. But, in motion, the flaws become obvious. It tries to be so realistic, that even the smallest details become exaggerated. It's not like the original GT that was so obviously a game just doing what it did.

Not very good but better than any other F1 FIA games.
So wrong.
F1:CE had the original sounds of every single F1 car, they all sound like the real life counterpart except for some "special effects".

The F1 in GT5P sounds good for Gran Turismo, since it simulates the characteristic pretty good, but its far from a real F1.

i played today nfs shift and the sound is much better then gt5 : p but i houpe gt 5 will improve sound.. and i houpe gt5 will have implatante the scream from supercharged gt500 shelby:) like nfs

Last edited:
The problem with the sounds in GT is that they're too flat and too soft. Everything needs to be turned up a few hundred notches. When a car passes at WOT, the exhaust note needs to have more grunt. The exotic and high horspower cars need to crack and pop more. Letting off the throttle on these cars should sound like a Dinosaur chuckling at a joke, to quote Jeremy Clarkson. lol

Last edited:
Soud is by far the weakest area in GT, and one that I fear is low down the priority list. They have had 5 generations to get it right, and it's still as weak as ever.

hardvibes
GTP Fanatic

PSN: hardvibes
Online Now! Today, 4:40 AM #42

big dani
i played today nfs shift and the sound is much better then gt5 : p
no sheet...
what souposed that to mean ?

Last edited:
As far as the PS3 is concerned that is, I'm afraid, total nonsense.

The audio properties of it are far in advance of most sound cards, particularly if you look at the PS3 slim.

The fat and standard models are able to bitstream audio in DD and DTS (upto a bitrate of 1.5mps), while the slim is also able to bitstream HD audio (up to a bitrate of 25mps).

That requires zero processing on the part of the PS3, as the raw audio is sent to the receiver and that does all the decoding of the audio package (up to 5.1 in the case of DD/DTS and 7.1 in the case of HD audio).

Even on the fat PS3, which has to decode HD-audio internally and then LPCM it to a receiver shows no difference at all in performance when you switch from Bitstreaming DD/DTS to LPCM.

Its a nice theory, just not one that actually holds any water, as for the sound not being great on GT5P (actually for some reason that seems to be far more true of the stereo audio coding rather than the full 7.1 PCM mix - which is actually not that bad), that certainly does not hold true for other titles.

Audio wise very little gets close to many titles on the PS3, a good example being MGS4, which pumps out a 7.1 PCM audio signal that knocks the hell out of a lot of BR releases.

Regards

Scaff

Scaff makes some excellent points / theories so I'm quoting the chap!

My view. If a TV programme played through the TV's stereo speakers can reproduce a satisfactory sound for a car, surely the PS3 can...? In fact, just place some other PS3 racing games to know how decent engine sounds can be. I think Scaff is right. It's down to the methods used to capture and code the sounds and perhaps it is just the stereo audio coding that is messed up. The PS3 is certainly up to the job, and it shouldn't be down to an amplifier and speakers to try and override what is a poor source signal in the first place. I cannot comment on 5.1 or 7.1 as I don't have the setup - I speak of my experience with GT5:P and an output to a stereo speaker system.

All they gotta do is implement a GTR2 style audio Menu, where every level is adjustable, SFX, Road NOise Tire NOise, Car engine, Opponents volume all that. that way all u gotta do is KRank the engine levels.

Does anyone know wat type of file GT5P uses for sounds, like WAV or MP3? Because i noticed in GTA games for PC the audio is in MP3 format(very lossy) when it could be in FLAC(lossless 1\2 the size of wave but still 3x the size of MP3), but anyone who has done side by side MP3 and FLAC comparisons will know the differnce is HUGE.

So IF GT uses MP3's as audio files it might explain their "weakness" in sound, WAV and FLAC are much more defined and allow a broader range of frequencies, while remaining totally free of artifacts.

Last edited:
All they gotta do is implement a GTR2 style audio Menu, where every level is adjustable, SFX, Road NOise Tire NOise, Car engine, Opponents volume all that. that way all u gotta do is KRank the engine levels.

Does anyone know wat type of file GT5P uses for sounds, like WAV or MP3? Because i noticed in GTA games for PC the audio is in MP3 format(very lossy) when it could be in FLAC(lossless 1\2 the size of wave but still 3x the size of MP3), but anyone who has done side by side MP3 and FLAC comparisons will know the differnce is HUGE.

So IF GT uses MP3's as audio files it might explain their "weakness" in sound, WAV and FLAC are much more defined and allow a broader range of frequencies, while remaining totally free of artifacts.

There's one very, very huge problem with that.

In the case of GTR2 where you can actually make every single vehicle in the game sound exactly as it does in real life by blending the audio samples, in addition to recording and sampling newer ones - the problem being that would drastically take away from them ever having to patch the game or any audio files period.

You could just do it yourself. Easier in fact.

I'd imagine that's the sole reason Sony won't "let" PD do a proper PC version of Gran Turismo. The limits would easily exceed them the second it gets to the shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scaff makes some excellent points / theories so I'm quoting the chap!

My view. If a TV programme played through the TV's stereo speakers can reproduce a satisfactory sound for a car, surely the PS3 can...? In fact, just place some other PS3 racing games to know how decent engine sounds can be. I think Scaff is right. It's down to the methods used to capture and code the sounds and perhaps it is just the stereo audio coding that is messed up. The PS3 is certainly up to the job, and it shouldn't be down to an amplifier and speakers to try and override what is a poor source signal in the first place. I cannot comment on 5.1 or 7.1 as I don't have the setup - I speak of my experience with GT5:P and an output to a stereo speaker system.

👍 Agreed to 100%

You have nice Nickname! Oh no Gt5p has better sound effects than GT4..Especially amuse 2000 and mitsu evo x tuned..Gt5 will be better in every aspect.. Thanks to Bluray and Cell processor.

And it sounded even better before it got "captured,edited,rendered,uploaded,slaughtered by Youtube,

And it sounds still like a sample and not like a real car.

The BMW M3 is one of the worst examples in the game, it sounds so electronic, so lifeless.

The Elises are okay (when you drive in third person), but they still sound sampled.
They got all the characteristics right, but everything is thin, electronic and lifeless.

Though, i was surprised when i first drove the Z06, that was good for a Gran Turismo game.

And it sounds still like a sample and not like a real car.

I've thought about this, but they sounds are Real , however what we hear, might be "just" a recording, not your auditory perception of the real thing.

In some cars, like the F1 and race tuned cars, the loud engines and bare cockpit might make the sounds "clip" to our ears, like when you go to a really loud concert and its just a muddle of sonic frequencies stabbing your ears.

Overdrive really, is what we arent hearing, the deafening effect some of those engines have(and even some tire noises).

They manage to reproduce the "blinding" effect commin out of a dark tunnel to a sunlight day, now for the noise!

Something tells me GT people like to iterate on many things as they develop the game. How many graphic models we have seen?(three) And now it seem they have done some basic sound model and now they have to improve it many times to get each car right.

Turn 10 have done much of the same but they seem to get things right in fewer attempts or at least there are no half ready systems brought to public notice. Maybe reason is that MS has better relations on connectivity to people with other tallents rather than making everything in-house.

Back