GT6 Drag Racing Findings

• Thread starter michrulejj
  • 117 comments
Has anyone else noticed when you tune on cold tires you get wheel spin when the tires are hot.
And when you tune on hot tires the tune bogs with cold tires?
Call me crazy but I thought it was the opposite.

Has anyone else noticed when you tune on cold tires you get wheel spin when the tires are hot.
And when you tune on hot tires the tune bogs with cold tires?
Call me crazy but I thought it was the opposite.
:boggled: I'm a bit confused now. Yes, it seems counter-intuitive what you're saying. But is it?
What in particular tuning are we talking about here? Or just general tuning adjustments?

Drag racing tuning. I find the tire temps affect how we launch. It just seems very off.
I can do 5 perfect launchs then my tires are a hair to hot and I spin away or cold and I nog and watch dude walk off.
At least this is what Ive noticed with FFs.
A 4/AWD, MR car seems to hook eveytime and its go baby go.

Drag racing tuning. I find the tire temps affect how we launch. It just seems very off.
I can do 5 perfect launchs then my tires are a hair to hot and I spin away or cold and I nog and watch dude walk off.
That second line is confusing!:confused:

He's saying if his tires are just a bit too warm, he'll spin like a madman, but if they are too cold, his car bogs and the opponent will slowly walk away from him.

Theoretically, it should be the EXACT opposite.

He's saying if his tires are just a bit too warm, he'll spin like a madman, but if they are too cold, his car bogs and the opponent will slowly walk away from him.

Theoretically, it should be the EXACT opposite.
okay now it makes sense.

@ryzno
I noticed something like this with some 4WD drag cars in GT5 a while ago. If you'd get the tires warm, they'd spin more than if you'd leave them cold. Sometimes they'd barely spin when cold. So I'd use to drive really slowly to the strip, haha. But maybe when you'd use warm tires over cold tires, you'd go slower but ssrx still measured your time with the cold tires since you started off still. I guess this seems to be more exposed in GT6.

I was realizing that makes no sense at all. .....
Exactly. And it probably effects your time someway but I'm not sure how you can test that accurately.
.....And I have to wait for them to cool before I launch. Which can take some time.
Yeah, and it can get annoying if you jump or if you launch but the other car doesn't and then you have to line up again, but now with warm tires.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I guess the best way to tune for launch, will be to tune for when the tires are yellow(first stage after red from the burnout.)
Or like MT said drive slowly to the strip so you can launch with cold tires. But I do see that as a problem, (and causing a huge inconsistency for me) after a few good runs the tires will hold the heat longer, thus taking longer to cool off.

I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I guess the best way to tune for launch, will be to tune for when the tires are yellow(first stage after red from the burnout.)
Or like MT said drive slowly to the strip so you can launch with cold tires. But I do see that as a problem, (and causing a huge inconsistency for me) after a few good runs the tires will hold the heat longer, thus taking longer to cool off.
Maybe tune for yellow tires with 4WD, but you probably want as much grip as you can get with 2WD. Warm is more consistent but less grip than cold. In comps, I'd want cold tires but it doesn't matter too much in casual drags.

I always tune on cold tires. I would rather spin than bog. I have also noticed this. A friend of mine had a Chevelle that was about a car behind, I roasted the tire for about 10 minutes on the wall. He left me on the lauch and beat me by about car(tested it multiple times).

I think the same applies in GT6, however your tires start to get warm quicker and stay warm longer in GT6.

I believe a GTAcademy top guy said "I would sometimes have to restart if I got my tires to hot." I can't find the link to this, so this persons name will not be shared.

I always tune on cold tires. I would rather spin than bog. I have also noticed this. A friend of mine had a Chevelle that was about a car behind, I roasted the tire for about 10 minutes on the wall. He left me on the lauch and beat me by about car(tested it multiple times).....
Tuning on cold tires is better, but it's so much less efficient. You also have to wait for them to cool down before you can do your next run and if you jump or the other person doesn't launch, you have to line up again but now with warm tires.
.....I think the same applies in GT6, however your tires start to get warm quicker and stay warm longer in GT6.

I believe a GTAcademy top guy said "I would sometimes have to restart if I got my tires to hot." I can't find the link to this, so this persons name will not be shared.
Well in real life, tires have an optimal range at which they have maximum grip and warmer tires have more grip than colder ones but PD obviously hasn't done a good job implementing this...

I use FR cars exclusively,in my opinion,I get better traction after doing 3 burnouts on my way to the dragstrip,judging by my tachometer.However,now that I read this,it brings to mind the fact that my cars with wide ratio trannys,may have an inexplicable bog occasionally.This adds a new element to the tune, huh?Which is cool,the more variables there are,the more realistic it is

If you do a burnout on the line at indy, you'll usually heat up the tires enough to avoid bog. As long as the other guy you're running doesn't take 20 min to line up. Then by the 2nd or 3rd run the tires will stay warm enough so it won't be a problem.

If you do a burnout on the line at indy, you'll usually heat up the tires enough to avoid bog. As long as the other guy you're running doesn't take 20 min to line up. Then by the 2nd or 3rd run the tires will stay warm enough so it won't be a problem.

If you heat your tyres on the yellow strip, they'll heat up to yellow/orange and won't go into red.

-Your boy YN89_

I take my time lining up because of this. If you tune to bog when your cold well I guess you are out of luck 👍
Please take your time if your racing me, I have no problem. However, with tournament coming up, some people might change up the tune! The guy with endurance in his tires might have an advantage(if it would go to that), ehh?

I've started to tweak and tune by versing my own saved ghost. It definitely works, might not be the most accurate for fine tuning (changes in the 0.0xx range, but you can certainly see instant improvements with some of the more major tweaks like different flips, or changes in suspension, etc. ill then do another standing 1/4 from the start line, save that ghost, go back to tuning and come out again - load the previous ghost and do another drag.

I'll tend to do 3-5 runs to get a consistent average consensus of whether the tuning changes were the result of the improvement and not just a better launch. Should try it out!

I've got a good example if youre confused in my latest gt6 drag tune tutorial for the GTR BE on my YouTube channel... (Fraternity187)

Anyone done any tests to see what effect aftermarket wheels have? Looking in this thread -> Here I'd guess they will have an effect mostly on FR and MR/RR cars, them skinny rears has got to cause more spin.

Don't have the game to test myself yet, and the tests people have done in that thread are all done on full track laps which will have many variables.

Two guys, same car and tune, one with stock, one with aftermarket wheels will be able to get some concrete results to confirm if wheels do affect performance or if it's just placebo / inconsistency when running laps.

Please take your time if your racing me, I have no problem. However, with tournament coming up, some people might change up the tune! The guy with endurance in his tires might have an advantage(if it would go to that), ehh?

I will most likely have tire wear off, so that should not be a problem.

Anyone done any tests to see what effect aftermarket wheels have? Looking in this thread -> Here I'd guess they will have an effect mostly on FR and MR/RR cars, them skinny rears has got to cause more spin.

Don't have the game to test myself yet, and the tests people have done in that thread are all done on full track laps which will have many variables.

Two guys, same car and tune, one with stock, one with aftermarket wheels will be able to get some concrete results to confirm if wheels do affect performance or if it's just placebo / inconsistency when running laps.
Fun fact: if the actual car has variable tire width from front to back, aftermarket wheels will make them all even. Keep thatin mind 👍

Standard rims are faster at least on the ZR1. The car has bit more pull. But I'm sure we'll find out more cars that are quicker with standard rims too.

Also larger diameter wheels seem to make your car slower too but it won't reset your transmission at least anymore. I think that problem is obsolete and was only an issue in GT5.

Also spoilers dont seem to slow your car down especially on 4WD's. Not sure about wings on RWD yet.

We can't really prove any of this though without a speedtest to measure all these variables accurrately unfortunately.

Stay tuned! Drive Safe!

Last edited:
Back