GT6: Livery Editor: Ideas?

Gejabo
My ideas about a livery editor?

Just leave it out.
I really don't see what this would add to the game.

Personalization, customization, sponsorship additions which means more money for the development. How bout making a one of a kind car, setting you apart from everyone else. Or having teams with a uniform. It adds a lot actually.

My ideas about a livery editor?

Just leave it out.
I really don't see what this would add to the game.

I don't know, allowing us to make our own race cars and massively increasing the creative aspect of the game? And it sure would add a lot more to the game than not having one and seeing everybody's cars look the same online.

A livery was supposed to be in GT5... Many, Many people, Including myself were absolutely pissed the hell off that it wasn't, Hell TDU2 has a great livery system with no layer limits(iv'e created about 140 liveried cars in TDU2 and over 300 in forza 4...Eons on forza 1..i got lost in that, GIVE us livery PD but unlike forza which has a HUGE weak point that prostreet had, ability to put stickers on the windows..Why this is missing in forza, i will never know. Also the headlights. it sickens me to see people in this thread actually against this, Just because you 2 %'ers don't want it in, does not mean the other 98% and countless other individuals who complained and were pissed of the lack of any livery system in GT5 Do not want, It's something that GT needs. badly, Idiots put stupid things on they're cars, yea... but is it that much different from going online and being forced to listen to little kids whine and cuss and talk about things they know nothing about, no. online and offline are too completely different worlds, which is why it says not rated online, because you don't know what the hell you will run into or hear. If what you all are saying is true, then they basically should shut the whole online mode down. Also the fact that you don't have to use it, I respect opinions, but seriously sometimes people are just selfish when they say crap like "I don't see it doing anything for the game" It could have done a hell of alot for GT5. And don't get me started on the "road cars with racing liveries is a no sense"?.

I mean for god sakes the only way to make replicas on gt5 is to use paint and rim paint...it's sad. I want a AMLS replica, i want a Group B replica, i want to make any iconic or modern race/Drift/rally/drag/magazine cover/regular tuner shop/year one hot ride or whatever it is that i see, I want the freedom to really be able to do what i want with my game, And livery..would like i said, send replay ability through the roof...which would you know...Help the game.

Last edited:
I don't know, allowing us to make our own race cars and massively increasing the creative aspect of the game? And it sure would add a lot more to the game than not having one and seeing everybody's cars look the same online.

Would a one of a kind car drive any different than a plain red, white or blue one?

I don't think they do.

Is I want to be creative I'll grab a piece of paper and a pencil.

@Iceman PJN: The fanboy comment is unnecessary

Last edited:
I dont understand why people are against it? If you like your cars in a normal paintjob from the manufacturer, then its fine and you dont have to use a livery editor.

The livery editor in Forza has shown that there is a massive creativity in the gaming community. There are people who only work on designs in Forza. And I think that there is atleast the same amount of interest and creativity in the GT community.

I myself cant paint or draw on paper that good. But with the livery editor in Forza, i was able to create complete car replicas, faces, complex figures and logos. Even with Photoshop I would need several month to get used to the many tools. With a livery editor you can create from the start some nice things.

I also started with some racing stripes and standard logos and then improved more and more. Everbody that invests some time in it, can create some designs. If you have knowledge in technical drawing and general painting, you can really use this knowledge to make very good designs.

GT6 must have a livery editor!

I dont understand why people are against it? If you like your cars in a normal paintjob from the manufacturer, then its fine and you dont have to use a livery editor.

The livery editor in Forza has shown that there is a massive creativity in the gaming community. There are people who only work on designs in Forza. And I think that there is atleast the same amount of interest and creativity in the GT community.

I myself cant paint or draw on paper that good. But with the livery editor in Forza, i was able to create complete car replicas, faces, complex figures and logos. Even with Photoshop I would need several month to get used to the many tools. With a livery editor you can create from the start some nice things.

I also started with some racing stripes and standard logos and then improved more and more. Everbody that invests some time in it, can create some designs. If you have knowledge in technical drawing and general painting, you can really use this knowledge to make very good designs.

GT6 must have a livery editor!
I'm not against it, but it surely is not needed.

It is needed. Many many people ask for it and want it in the game. And it became a standard in many racing games. TDU, Forza, NFS and more.

I know, but is not helping to convince me that a Livery editor is good for the game. ;)

Would a one of a kind car drive any different than a plain red, white or blue one?

I don't think they do.

@Iceman PJN: The fanboy comment is unnecessary
In that case I suppose race car teams are just wasting their efforts and money by having liveries on their cars then. What on Earth made them do such wasteful things?

If you actually played a racing game that had a proper livery editor in it, then I'd think you'd find yourself spending a lot more time having fun creating designs to put into your car.

Of course, you probably have played a racing game with a livery editor in it, in which case, please enlighten us with your reasoning on why a livery editor would not be beneficial to the game. At least justify what you're saying.

In that case I suppose race car teams are just wasting their efforts and money by having liveries on their cars then. What on Earth made them do such wasteful things?

If you actually played a racing game that had a proper livery editor in it, then I'd think you'd find yourself spending a lot more time having fun creating designs to put into your car.

Of course, you probably have played a racing game with a livery editor in it, in which case, please enlighten us with your reasoning on why a livery editor would not be beneficial to the game. At least justify what you're saying.

Don't know actually can you name a few?
from PS1, PS2 or PS3

NFS: Shift, MCLA...

Also some outside of the PS3...

I swear I spent around 24 hours total just working on designs in MCLA, about a quarter of me actually playing the game.

And my question remains:

Hmm..

I played both NFS shift games, didn't even now there was a livery editor in it.
Don't play any games other than on PS3

Waht is MCLA? mindight club?
In that case I haven't played it. ;)

I don't get your logic, simple as that.

It's like a little kid who's never tried a certain food before, and yet they already don't want it. Well, how do you know you won't like it?

Don't make any judgements if you have no experience with it, because it's hard to for you to justify your argument, and it's hard for us to understand your reasoning.

Good point.

But I don't miss it either, so it's still not a must.

But isn't this all about personal preferences?

Well, some people have not tried playing online. So this wasnt a needed feature of the ps3?

Your argumentation doesnt make any sense. Dismissing a feature you have not tried before and having no interest in is senseless. Argueing with people who want that feature so bad is even more than pointless. So, just let this issue alone and let us discuss the topic without your pointless arguments.

Gejabo

I don't think they do.

I can see that point of view. Same as Horns and drivers suits also.

Oh and photographing your car doesn't make it go faster either.

Maybe theres no need for any of that too.

Personally whilst I agree that GT needs an editor. There's plenty more that needs doing before they get around to that.

Full leaderboards with a decent class system would be a good start.
Better damage system, more premium cars and tracks. Racing modifications for all cars too maybe.

That's quite a lot to do before they get onto an editor.

IMHO.

HAL20XX
Take Forza's Livery Editor and slap on GT's ability to apply mattes and chromes (and actual white wheels) that Forza hasn't been able to handle to date.

There isn't a single reason that that I've heard of why it shouldn't be added that isn't in some form a personal bias against Forza.

This. I think some people should see the competition as a good thing. Competition can improve products or games.

Photomode, livery editor and so on are not really needed for playing the game, but after you used it you want it in the game.

Last edited:
Yes, on on editor for me. I can't even add a stripe to any of my 75 nearly identical MX-5's or RX-7's yet?

Having a style that I can copy from one car to another is pure win. Having blank cars, or styles I can share is good.

I run in a spec car league, and only having "green car, white rims" seems pretty lame compared to the competition.

supra rz dude
I am... not... a... dude... Something you guys have is missing on me. :lol:
For further questions.

I know, but is not helping to convince me that a Livery editor is good for the game. ;)
I think it is, because livery editor do not really means worse quality, also, do not force you to apply them. If you dislike, keep it stock.

But i am seeing about the racing way, take the R33 TC for example, if Gran Turismo had livery editor, you could make the Kure JGTC, the Zexel JGTC, Unisia Jecs JGTC, etc. and make a 96 JGTC race with a very complete grid! Not with 3 cars repeating each other.

Last edited:
I think the new GT must have more custom options. It will be very interesting in online races to have really unique car.
The next thing I have in mind is the crashes and damages to the car. It would be really nice the damage to look more realistic to be able to completely trash your car in a simulation race. The roll overs of the cars to be a bit more realistic. That way when you hit a wall with 100+ kph you will end up with no front end of the car just like in real world and etc.

It is part of the competitors games, and quite popular. Look at it this way, I have looked at TWO museum cards - EVER. You, or others, may adore them, trade them, etc. I don't, no problem. I think the photo mode is magnificent and play around with it frequently. Others don't.

Would you HAVE to use a livery editor to play GT6? Hmmmmmmm, probably not, you should be able to still own the game.

By this line of reasoning, PD wasted the time giving us the options of cars' different paint jobs. We should all be forced into one specific colour for each car.

One of GT's big draws when it first came out was an increased sense of vehicle ownership in the game. You had a garage, you "owned" these cars, you didn't just pick from a stable to complete races. Each iteration since has only built on top of this, with mileage, increased customization, and the like. A livery editor is pretty much par for the course in the genre these days, and the quite literally endless opportunities it can afford the userbase can't be ignored.

Fancy a replica? If PD were wise enough to also include a storefront-style feature, where users could sell their designs (or give them away for free, if they so choose), it'd be as easy as finding what you're looking for, and downloading it. Like I did here:

Maybe you miss some of the old GT fantasy LM cars from the PS1 days? Well, what do you know...

Getting comfortable with the editor, you can even do your own:

gtmeunosgangh.jpg

gtmeunosgang01.jpg
gtmeunosgang02.jpg

gtmeunosgang03.jpg
gtmeunosgang04.jpg

...or maybe get creative with your own fictitious livery:

sscz4millsth.jpg

sscz4millst01.jpg

Ideally, I'd like to see something semi-similar to Forza's livery editor, because it works nicely enough, and requires knowledge of the system to create more complicated designs. While I'd love the ability to have downloadable templates for Photoshop manipulation, I imagine that'd be a headache for PD, and could more easily lead to very offensive images.

Having it work similar to LittleBigPlanet, where we could drag and drop stickers (and hopefully, they'd wrap around different "sides" of the car) would make sense, keeping a sense of uniformity throughout Sony's marquee games. Play/Create/Share, indeed.

Besides, every time this topic is brought up, I point out the very easy solution to keep both sides happy: a simple check box in the options menu to "Disable Custom Liveries". There, you can happily race online in a pack of identi-cars, and the other users will be none the wiser. Win win!

I'd like to see templates for RM, LM, TC and PD formula car liveries. I don;t want to race against cars with penises on them.

It's still surprising how many times this line of thought pops up. I can tell you how many times I've run into that online in FM4: zero. Offensive liveries tend not to last long for two reasons:

1) Was it put on the Storefront? Chances are it'll be unpopular, so won't stay near the top of downloads (sorting by Most Downloaded almost always guarantees you looking at the best liveries), and being available on the Storefront makes it much easier for people to file a complaint about offensive material. It will be removed. That same sort of system is already in LittleBigPlanet and ModNationRacers (and I assume, LBP Karting).

2) Raced online against a swastika'd penis? File a complaint about offensive content, and having their livery removed will become the least of that person's worries.

Are there terribad, half-arsed liveries in the Storefront? Absolutely! But there's already terrible paint combinations in GT5, and as mentioned above, it's pretty easy to sort out the bad from good. Plus, a livery editor can be used for things as simple as a few small sponsorship logos trailing the front wheel, or just a license plate. Like I said; endless opportunities.

By this line of reasoning, PD wasted the time giving us the options of cars' different paint jobs. We should all be forced into one specific colour for each car.

One of GT's big draws when it first came out was an increased sense of vehicle ownership in the game. You had a garage, you "owned" these cars, you didn't just pick from a stable to complete races. Each iteration since has only built on top of this, with mileage, increased customization, and the like. A livery editor is pretty much par for the course in the genre these days, and the quite literally endless opportunities it can afford the userbase can't be ignored.

Fancy a replica? If PD were wise enough to also include a storefront-style feature, where users could sell their designs (or give them away for free, if they so choose), it'd be as easy as finding what you're looking for, and downloading it. Like I did here:

-img-

Maybe you miss some of the old GT fantasy LM cars from the PS1 days? Well, what do you know...

-img-

Getting comfortable with the editor, you can even do your own:

-img-

...or maybe get creative with your own fictitious livery:

-img-

Ideally, I'd like to see something semi-similar to Forza's livery editor, because it works nicely enough, and requires knowledge of the system to create more complicated designs. While I'd love the ability to have downloadable templates for Photoshop manipulation, I imagine that'd be a headache for PD, and could more easily lead to very offensive images.

Having it work similar to LittleBigPlanet, where we could drag and drop stickers (and hopefully, they'd wrap around different "sides" of the car) would make sense, keeping a sense of uniformity throughout Sony's marquee games. Play/Create/Share, indeed.

Besides, every time this topic is brought up, I point out the very easy solution to keep both sides happy: a simple check box in the options menu to "Disable Custom Liveries". There, you can happily race online in a pack of identi-cars, and the other users will be none the wiser. Win win!

It's still surprising how many times this line of thought pops up. I can tell you how many times I've run into that online in FM4: zero. Offensive liveries tend not to last long for two reasons:

1) Was it put on the Storefront? Chances are it'll be unpopular, so won't stay near the top of downloads (sorting by Most Downloaded almost always guarantees you looking at the best liveries), and being available on the Storefront makes it much easier for people to file a complaint about offensive material. It will be removed. That same sort of system is already in LittleBigPlanet and ModNationRacers (and I assume, LBP Karting).

2) Raced online against a swastika'd penis? File a complaint about offensive content, and having their livery removed will become the least of that person's worries.

Are there terribad, half-arsed liveries in the Storefront? Absolutely! But there's already terrible paint combinations in GT5, and as mentioned above, it's pretty easy to sort out the bad from good. Plus, a livery editor can be used for things as simple as a few small sponsorship logos trailing the front wheel, or just a license plate. Like I said; endless opportunities.

:bowdown:

Also, i would totally LOVE to do a GT1 race mod replica! Like those Miatas... i... just... love... them!

Brilliant, Brilliant post by SlipZtrEm. I'll gift you 6,000 Museum cards in tribute. Just FR me and mention "useless" in the FR request please. :sly:

I don't think they do.

We get that you actively want GT6 to strip all features unrelated to racing on circuits for reasoning that doesn't make any sense. You don't need to keep reminding us.

Last edited:
I think that a livery editor is, like other new features, very needed to extend the interest in the game for a longer period of time. If you look at GT5, many players were disinterested in it just after some month. GT4 did not had this problem, atleast not for me. I asume that PD wont release a new GT every two years from now on, so we need such features to keep it fresh over its circle till the next one arrives.

Back