GT6: Livery Editor: Ideas?

Is this thread really a question that needs to be asked? Just copy exactly what Forza did and BAM no more competition anymore. I don't own any of them but I played a few and they also had a online trading going on where you could bid on cars. Basically you make a car with whatever you want and say you want to sell it for a certain price and give it a time frame and people bid on it and by the end it goes to the highest bidder. It was super amazing too because somehow people designed cars that looked like they were painted in real life from how detailed they were. I bought one that had a halo theme with aliens fighting on the sides and back (epic battle scene) and on the hood a super detailed portrait of master chief.

With the quality GT has on cars with full blown painting/more body kits plus a online auction to charge whatever you want I think GT6 would go straight to the top again as best racing game out there.

PD aren't the sort of people who draw inspiration Gran from their competitors' success, they seem to always do things independently and in a number of cases get things horribly wrong. I doubt PD would negotiate with Forza's developers on using their system.

JBanton
PD aren't the sort of people who draw inspiration Gran from their competitors' success, they seem to always do things independently and in a number of cases get things horribly wrong. I doubt PD would negotiate with Forza's developers on using their system.

Oh yes. It would also likely create a massive flame war with GT players and Forza players if PD negotiated with Turn 10.

There should be some kind of decals that we can put on our cars to make our cars unique. But then you would have people trying to spell rude words on their cars.

It would be nice to have a blank canvas on a nsx Race car and then we put decals on it to make it our own for a series of some sort.

A direct copy of the system from Forza would be a step backward in some respects. Wheels cannot be painted white, and matte paint has very limited application. There is no chrome to speak of.

A system that just gives you a palette of colors to choose from, then different finishes(ex: gloss, metallic, matte, etc) would be fine for paint. Then you go to an editor with some pre-selected shapes, stripes, numbers and manufacturer decals. Give us a good environment with lighting so that we can see what we're doing, and that will be enough for us to work with.

I'm all for it. but I'm also a bit hesitant since I know there will be racist paintjobs and all other types of distasteful designs on top of all the truely great ones.

I'm guessing the biggest thing holding them back is having to censor the designs for curse words or whatever they deem explicit.

I Think they could work something out and maybe also allow players to report inappropriate designs.

I can imagine many, many normal words will be blocked if they use they PSN censoring system.

And to the guy earlier who said "I dont need it" I think your entightled to your opinion.
I really dont like to see people getting "shot down" for having a different point of view. This is just like any other thread in the GT6 section where a few people will say I dont like X, (and other people will go on to fatasize that by not working on X they can get more of Y).

I'm rambling, but please folks you could be a little more tollerant of different views, It's not like he was pushy, or rude.

grog
I'm all for it. but I'm also a bit hesitant since I know there will be racist paintjobs and all other types of distasteful designs on top of all the truely great ones.

I'm guessing the biggest thing holding them back is having to censor the designs for curse words or whatever they deem explicit.

I Think they could work something out and maybe also allow players to report inappropriate designs.

I can imagine many, many normal words will be blocked if they use they PSN censoring system.

And to the guy earlier who said "I dont need it" I think your entightled to your opinion.
I really dont like to see people getting "shot down" for having a different point of view. This is just like any other thread in the GT6 section where a few people will say I dont like X, (and other people will go on to fatasize that by not working on X they can get more of Y).

I'm rambling, but please folks you could be a little more tollerant of different views, It's not like he was pushy, or rude.

A system of reporting would likely be in place. Trust me, the last thing I want to do is to race against someone with a hentai livery.

It would make sense to copy both Forza's and NFS Shift's livery editor and combine them together.

Example GT500, Go to Nissan dealership buy there 2010 GTR shape (it will be white body shell) then go to wherever livery editor will be (GT Auto most likely) then choose to either make a custom made one, OR buy a team template that was used on that GTR in the 2010 season, OR buy a SuperGT template that comes with the decals that you see on all cars in the SuperGT I.e. SuperGT decal on windshield, the decal where the number of your car goes on the side.

If they do that, I and many will be very happy..

pinapplejuice
it would make sense to copy both forza's and nfs shift's livery editor and combine them together.

Example gt500, go to nissan dealership buy there 2010 gtr shape (it will be white body shell) then go to wherever livery editor will be (gt auto most likely) then choose to either make a custom made one, or buy a team template that was used on that gtr in the 2010 season, or buy a supergt template that comes with the decals that you see on all cars in the supergt i.e. Supergt decal on windshield, the decal where the number of your car goes on the side.

If they do that, i and many will be very happy..

+1

It would make sense to copy both Forza's and NFS Shift's livery editor and combine them together.

Example GT500, Go to Nissan dealership buy there 2010 GTR shape (it will be white body shell) then go to wherever livery editor will be (GT Auto most likely) then choose to either make a custom made one, OR buy a team template that was used on that GTR in the 2010 season, OR buy a SuperGT template that comes with the decals that you see on all cars in the SuperGT I.e. SuperGT decal on windshield, the decal where the number of your car goes on the side.

If they do that, I and many will be very happy..

+2 This is all that needs to be done.

To avoid vulgar liveries just give online players the option to force cars to stock paint jobs. Also include a report option. Problem solved.

I do think that certain cars should not be livery-able. Ferrari F1 cars, etc. I do not think Ferrari would let them anyways.

PinappleJuice, among several others, have nailed it. Something like the Forza system - though I'd prefer without separate "sides" - is incredibly powerful, and you can create any race car from history or your imagination. Giving us templates for those who are either limited in skill or just want something quick would be a good addition. Pick a template, select two or three colors for the various patterns, maybe with an effect like fading one color into another, add some decals and a racing number plate, and there you go. For the rest of us, giving us a bunch of layers to work with, a good number of decals, as well as a decal maker tool, and we'd be in heaven.

Unfortunately, I haven't touched Forza 4 since last November or I'd paste in a few pics, and I'm sure some here are getting tired of seeing the same old cars I made.

I would add that when I was online in one Forza or another, I never once saw a crude design, and the Auction House has a pretty solid policing system in place. Besides, have you seen the t-shirts some people wear in real life?? And you're worried about some car design you'll likely never see?

A direct copy of the system from Forza would be a step backward in some respects. Wheels cannot be painted white, and matte paint has very limited application. There is no chrome to speak of.

Obviously it won't be a direct copy of Forza system, just umm ... a rip-off :)

Anyways, if we get a premium AE86, I hope that the livery editor can create takumi's tofu car.

I just want to see a good system in, if it's like MCLA or Juiced 2 with more options layers it would be totally satisfying in my opinion.

Would a one of a kind car drive any different than a plain red, white or blue one?

I don't think they do.

Is I want to be creative I'll grab a piece of paper and a pencil.

@IceMan PJN: The fanboy comment is unnecessary

The logic of this is like saying what's the point of cars looking different in general? Every car in the world should be a hollow tube and they should all be the same color. Shapes and curves that don't affect ability are completely pointless as is color. And while you're at it, we should all get rid of fashion and wear uniforms. There isn't even a need for different people, we should all look like clones of one another, and act the same.

We should listen to the same music and like the same movies, and...

Need I go on?

Vinyls, liveries, body kits, paint jobs, & custom rims = INDIVIDUALITY amongst numerous other things like UNITY if you want to make a team car for a racing league, BEAUTY to make a vehicle that you may not regularly take notice of capture your attention in a way most unimaginable, AMAZEMENT for vehicles you wouldn't expect, and many more ways you can shock, awe, amaze or blend in.

You could even choose to be as simple as placing your name in cursive to tell your white car out of the pack of similar white cars of the same model on track, placing a flag on your car, honoring a deceased love one, a romantic gesture with an artistic expression, a declaration of victory, to declare a challenge, etc...

There are so many ways to use it and to do it in a way that's PERSONAL to YOU. Changing THIS GAME into MY GAME. And A CAR into MY CAR. Personalizing a gaming experience to make it unique to yourself and only you. That's what liveries is about.

Last edited:
If GT6 ends up getting a livery editor, I wouldn't mind as long as it has a good interface, the ability to flip vinyls so they don't read backwards on the other side of the car, and allow us to put stickers on windows so people can display the insignia of their team if they do street racing leagues.

I'm not creative and the best I would probably come up with would be a Scottish Saltire on the roof and perhaps a 'Lion Rampant' on the rear quarter panels.

Last edited:
I just want my M3 GTR to look like the one from Need for Speed, and my Gallardo to have a Superleggera vinyl. The only problem I can imagine is the immature 10-year-olds putting... ahem... reproductive systems on their cars. But then again, there could be a report function for cars. But then again on top of then again, that could be abused. Oh well.

Last edited:
I must say that after countless hours of skinning in LFS, i would like to see a similar system in GT6.
LIKE:
You have a account connected to your GT6 user, not nessecarily the PSN account.
On a website, you could upload the skin/livery whatever you call it, and download it to your PSwhatever, then apply it to your car ingame.
IMO this would be the best solution, as Photoshop and gimp, will ALWAYS beat ingame livermakers.

I just want my M3 GTR to look like the one from Need for Speed, and my Gallardo to have a Superleggera vinyl. The only problem I can imagine is the immature 10-year-olds putting... ahem... reproductive systems on their cars. But then again, there could be a report function for cars. But then again on top of then again, that could be abused. Oh well.

Just have an option to turn off liveries in a race, be it individually or non-friends liveries or whatever, in addition to the report functions.

If you don't want one, you don't have to use it! Sorry, just had to let it out. I want to be able to add country livers like the Albanian eagle or the Canadian maple leaf etc. With the amount of RAM, I think they can add the livery editor with a lot more types of decals.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, not sure if anyones suggested this already but I was thinking about putting an optional Pen tool (yes like Adobe Illustrator etc). This tool would snap to grid points and make use of Bézier curves. Maybe the option to turn 'snap to grid' off. It could be possible to have a 'basic' and 'advanced' options. Regarding whether you want curves or straight edge, there could be a certain button on the controller that would have to be pressed. Also the ability to save custom shapes we make with the tool for future use. Maybe I'm being too ambitious here but I feel it would be a great feature to have and make it easier for people to create complex designs. I think it could be possible, or maybe I'm missing something.

Many thanks for reading.

Brad.:)

Back