GT6: Livery Editor: Ideas?

jabofu
I think that a livery editor is, like other new features, very needed to extend the interest in the game for a longer period of time. If you look at GT5, many players were disinterested in it just after some month. GT4 did not had this problem, atleast not for me. I asume that PD wont release a new GT every two years from now on, so we need such features to keep it fresh over its circle till the next one arrives.

My opinion on the editor is starting to sway. I think that evolution is apart of life in every form, that includes games. I find my self defending PD and all the long term fans but, that's BS. This is 2012 and it's time PD, myself, and the rest of the defenders catch up.

Does Forza allow you to paint over grills? I would like to make some big changes to cars. For example I would like to create fictional NASCAR makes like Mercedes and Porsche which would require new textures for the entire nose

lewiscupcar.jpg

PorscheCar.jpg

Nascar vehicles do not have real grills, none of them... that means, you would be able to do that with livery editor in FM4.

Forza's in game editor is perfect, really perfect. Just copy it, no need to fix what isn't broken. The paint system in GT5 is pretty awful. While on F4 you can useh a controller and design pretty much any livery that you want based on real life or not. Just takes some patience.

:bowdown:

Also, i would totally LOVE to do a GT1 race mod replica! Like those Miatas... i... just... love... them!

Well, either GT6 allows me to re-create them (and other "GT Memorial" liveries, I've got a few), or you'll have to come over to the other side ;)

Brilliant, Brilliant post by SlipZtrEm. I'll gift you 6,000 Museum cards in tribute. Just FR me and mention "useless" in the FR request please. :sly:

:nervous:

Does Forza allow you to paint over grills? I would like to make some big changes to cars. For example I would like to create fictional NASCAR makes like Mercedes and Porsche which would require new textures for the entire nose

FM doesn't work that way; you paint all in-game, not on templates, but on the car itself in a studio. So, no; headlights, taillights, and any chrome work (or plastic work, more on that later) can't be painted over. Emblems, too, understandably so.

Cars with plastic cladding, or un-painted carbonfibre pieces, usually can't have anything in those areas either. I can't place a license plate on the back of my AW11 MR2 or V12 Vantage, for example. I can understand why, but I would hope PD could look at that as an area they could improve upon if (when, hopefully) they start building a livery editor.

Touching on what Dark just said above though, I have "added" grilles and vents on a livery, and you can download other - typically replica - liveries that do the same. There was an XKR-S with all the proper venting painted on... it just became useless once the real car was added to the game! A lot of people make wide-body kits too, and they can be very convincing from the right angle. I've only done it to give a small trapezoidal grille on a Mazda 2.

Honestly, I'd go so far as to say this is in my top 2 priorities for GT6, along with a Career Mode setup; solely because of the endless replayability it will yield.

CAM
Honestly, I'd go so far as to say this is in my top 2 priorities for GT6, along with a Career Mode setup; solely because of the endless replayability it will yield.

Agreed completely. An editor makes a player have an opportunity to be extremely unique.

Well, either GT6 allows me to re-create them (and other "GT Memorial" liveries, I've got a few), or you'll have to come over to the other side ;)
That is never going to happen. :lol: Even if GT6 do not have a livery editor... i will wait until it has.

My ideas about a livery editor?

Just leave it out.
I really don't see what this would add to the game.

really the livery system needs to be tried out and if its a failure the n get rid of it but you have to try everything once

Forza's in game editor is perfect, really perfect. Just copy it, no need to fix what isn't broken.

I wouldn't go that far. It's a very good system, but far from perfect. PD's creative and development teams need to play around with Forza's livery editor and then brainstorm to see what sort of innovations they can bring to it.

They should take elements of good systems from the past, say MCLA, Juiced 2 and Forza to combine them together to create one system that should in theory be the system that raises the bar for everyone else.

Simplistic Shapes/ Basic styles (flame, strip, tribal, flag, number, letter, shapes, 2tone etc), Default/iconic designs (GT40 Gulf on new GT etc), Any colours (even mirror chrome), Brands/Manufacturers (Sponsors). With some PD flare tho and anyone taking advantage could be reported and car crushed lol
Creating a colourful drift/drag car, or a great looking racer would kill some time and be great to make car match team flag (another idea) match suit so all the team plus crew are the same

One thing that really impressed me with GT5 was the implementation of the number plate on the RM cars. It was so cool that you could change your number and use different fonts.

That really tells me how powerful of a livery editor PD could try to put into GT6. I plainly remember it being shown on a list of features that PD wanted for GT5, and it didn't happen, likely due to time constraints. I'm sure they really want to make it happen this time, and it should be pretty good.

In Forza, you've got to make your own number plates from shapes & numbers, and if you buy a design that has one, you can't edit it or change the number. If PD can do something as simple as giving us the GT5 'smart' number plates in a few styles for all cars as part of the editor, that will be a very nice leg up that many players can enjoy.

VQuick
One thing that really impressed me with GT5 was the implementation of the number plate on the RM cars. It was so cool that you could change your number and use different fonts.

That really tells me how powerful of a livery editor PD could try to put into GT6. I plainly remember it being shown on a list of features that PD wanted for GT5, and it didn't happen, likely due to time constraints. I'm sure they really want to make it happen this time, and it should be pretty good.

In Forza, you've got to make your own number plates from shapes & numbers, and if you buy a design that has one, you can't edit it or change the number. If PD can do something as simple as giving us the GT5 'smart' number plates in a few styles for all cars as part of the editor, that will be a very nice leg up that many players can enjoy.

In Forza you can create everything you want. Some build faces of human, carbon fiber, and much more. Including 100.000.000+ variations of numbers. You don't need to use the numbers build from Turn10.

The number change from GT didn't impressed me at all and don't show how powerful a PD livery editor could be.

The Forza livery editor is the best if ever seen in a console game.

Last edited:
In Forza you can create everything you want. Including 100.000.000+ variations of numbers. You don't need to use the numbers build from Turn10.

The number change from GT didn't impressed me at all and don't show how powerful a PD livery editor could be.

The editor is the best if ever seen in a console game.

And? I already said that. You use shapes & numbers to make your designs in Forza. Your own fonts can be made using shapes.

To protect the work of painters, designs are locked. Unfortunately, in this case, if someone makes a design with a number plate on it and it has a "12" there...everyone who buys that design is stuck with that "12" and cannot change it.

Even worse is that some painters are ignorant of the locking feature and try to tell you that they've left their number plate blank so that you can change it yourself. You can't do that, because all designs sold in the storefront are locked. 👎

Like I said before, if PD implements their 'smart' number plates where you can change the number yourself, you've got a very handy way of getting around that issue that comes up in Forza.

Gran Turismo doesn't need livery license plates. All cars already have them...

But, if you guys want to change it, i think it should be more like Midnight Club 3 style, you choose from where, and edit the numbers/letters.

Gran Turismo doesn't need livery license plates. All cars already have them...

But, if you guys want to change it, i think it should be more like Midnight Club 3 style, you choose from where, and edit the numbers/letters.

Dude. Race number plates are for race cars. License plates are for road cars. We're not talking about that.

This is a race number plate.
sI1WY.jpg

VQuick
Even worse is that some painters are ignorant of the locking feature and try to tell you that they've left their number plate blank so that you can change it yourself. You can't do that, because all designs sold in the storefront are locked. 👎

Who's the ignorant one.
If you purchase a blank racing plate you can add the numbers direct to the car.

A full car design is quite rightly locked.

Purchased Decals can be added to cars how ever you choose. Plus you can add your own design on top.

Ignorant indeed.

Who's the ignorant one.
If you purchase a blank racing plate you can add the numbers direct to the car.

A full car design is quite rightly locked.

Purchased Decals can be added to cars how ever you choose. Plus you can add your own design on top.

Ignorant indeed.

You didn't get the context of what I was saying, and if that's my fault, then I apologize.

Painters make a full car design, leave the number plate blank on the design, then tell you in the description that they did it so that you can put your own number there. You can't make any changes, because the design is locked, so they are indeed ignorant.

I know about putting up a blank number plate as a vinyl group. I have them in my own storefront.

Ah I mistook what you meant.
I've not come across painters advertising those.

My bad.

Ah I mistook what you meant.
I've not come across painters advertising those.

My bad.

Don't worry about it. I've only seen it a couple times. I just facepalmed and kept browsing. Needless to say, I didn't buy the design.lol

Unfortunately, I also got a lot of replicas early on where painters likely just made their design on a stock car without a wheel upgrade and didn't pay attention to what color the wheels should be. So, for example, you get a nice blue/yellow Spoon race paintjob for your Honda with silver wheels instead of black like Spoon uses for just about everything.:yuck: Not being able to change that myself because it's locked is really irritating. No refunds either, of course.

I'm trying to be more careful now and pay attention to the little preview window.

That can actually be fixed, or at least, could in FM3. As long as the creator of the livery never ever touched the rim paint option, if you paint them yourself, then apply the livery, they should stick. I did it for a Spoon del Sol, actually. Haven't come across a need for it yet though.

Ideally, the issue of locking designs should be left to the creator. If I want to let people "remix" my design, it should be my choice. Especially if there's a way to lock the ability to re-sell, or at the very least, credit the original creator. ModNation does this, I believe.

Of course, it's a thorny issue to begin with, as arguing over ownership of a design containing recreated trademarks isn't exactly clear-cut.

I'll echo earlier sentiments: PD's laughable number plate editor doesn't hint at any sort of prowess with a livery editor. It was, as with many lop-sided features in GT5, the bare minimum.

Of course, it's a thorny issue to begin with, as arguing over ownership of a design containing recreated trademarks isn't exactly clear-cut.

I'm not as familiar with the law as I would like to be, but couldn't this be avoided by not charging real money for the liveries?

gamerdog6482
I'm not as familiar with the law as I would like to be, but couldn't this be avoided by not charging real money for the liveries?

I don't mean in a legal sense (even I'm not entirely sure where that issue stands), I just mean the gray area of arguing over, let's say, "my" Castrol logo, if someone used it as their own.

I don't mean in a legal sense (even I'm not entirely sure where that issue stands), I just mean the gray area of arguing over, let's say, "my" Castrol logo, if someone used it as their own.

Oh! So, you're basically saying if you created a Castrol logo on a livery, then "sold" it (not real money), and then someone else takes that Castrol logo that you made and uses it on their own livery which they then "sell", yes?

Don't think its that, more a total design sense. Even in racing not sure about copy law as everyone is different, and no one ever copies each other unless its a sponsor livery rather than team no matter what year it raced (ie Gulf never came back)

What do you mean by this?
1772.jpg

At least 2010.

Gulf team came back, so did there design but no one replace the gulf logo with mcdonalds going yellow and red stripe. Orange and Blue = Gulf. So it could be on any car but its them and them only is what i ment

Back