GT6: Livery Editor: Ideas?

The problem is that, in the specific cases that analog presented, they are separate models, not just the exact-same physical vehicle with different liveries. They can still be hidden under the one thumbnail in the "dealership", but they are still separate machines despite being very similar.

How that affects the car count is irrelevant, and we really ought to be above caring about that anyway even if marketing types won't ever be - my bet is they'd still be counted as "variations" anyway...

Primitives, logos and letters/ numbers should be available from one place. If it's not the GT Auto then a separate paint/ livery place altogether, with a primary focus on paint/ livery.

Depends on how much time it is, if they run out of time, yes. Plus its Xbox exclusive.

You keep saying that, it doesn't make it any truer.

shift2u-20110410-1641095.jpg

Need For Speed Shift 2 - Livery Editor - Available on PS3.

Would be cool to type letters onto tyres in different colours. Or edit brands(Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.) onto the sidewalls. Even a PDI branded tyre: "PDI RACING", "POLYPHONY DIGITAL" or "GRAN TURISMO" in raised letters. If we cant get a full on create your own design Livery editor, Editing the number plate on a road car with NISMO instead of Nissan Silvia, for example, and generic stickers to plaster the body panels would help. And we all know how putting stickers on a car makes it faster!

Ferrari Challenge used the Forza Livery Editor, even used many of the same vinyl patterns. And I think NFS Shift's is similar. It has the bonus of being able to apply a few graphics to the windows like your car number. It's a good system and one which PD would be wise to emulate, because it's very powerful. I'm hoping they can evolve it along the lines of a system Eutechnyx was working on for their new racer, which doesn't have sides the way the others do. Matching vinyl shapes from the top and sides has resulted in some issues in the other games, and misshapen decals on some warped surfaces. Having a "sideless" editor where you have a 360 degree view of your car would be ideal.

By the way, only being able to apply decals would make me sad.

Liverys is a big thing in certain seires. But its more team colours and designs in races. Simple styles with the sponsors covering the car. Drifting and show cars are were the custom art work is best as there always on show. Being unique is all part of racing, bright, colourful and paintwork to match personality.
This is one that always comes to mind.
Madbull+get+crazy+and+lighter.jpg

He designed and applied it himself, including the custom red bull logo.

Its got to be made as simple as possible (even have a pc app for it) ability to create odd shape from one piece (a freedom stretch tool) so any blob would be possible, loads of fonts, logos, sponsors, manufacturers, images, anime, generic icons that everyone seem to include is pistons, wheels, mesh, metal tear, gear. Obviously have layers but in set like, vinyl, decal, sponsor so it set would be unchanged if the others are. Every side and window available including premade sunstrips.

Thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I genuinely believe that Polyphony lacks the common sense to integrate a livery editor properly, knowing how Polyphony do things they'll probably have a silly system where you can only apply liveries of racecars you already have.

Sorry, but I genuinely believe that Polyphony lacks the common sense to integrate a livery editor properly, knowing how Polyphony do things they'll probably have a silly system where you can only apply liveries of racecars you already have.

I don't blame you for thinking this. After all, they had to make something as simple as painting your car a nuisance. Hopefully, PD realizes that silly gimmicks like paint chips are annoying and that it's not necessary to be different from other racing games in every way imaginable.

I don't blame you for thinking this. After all, they had to make something as simple as painting your car a nuisance. Hopefully, PD realizes that silly gimmicks like paint chips are annoying and that it's not necessary to be different from other racing games in every way imaginable.

I don't blame him, either. At TGS 2006, we saw the "livery editor" feature on the "online features" list. GT5 released 4 years later without a livery editor. 👎

What also bothers me is that racemods have livery designs. Why can't they implement a system to allow us to put liveries on the cars?

The answer is usually the same: Kaz and his eccentric mind. He holds the game back, but at times, he is the game's brilliance. :scared:

I'll quote myself, from a slightly similar thread:

A livery editor based on the shirt editor used by Konami for PES games would be the ideal thing. You could just work with your images on Photoshop, save them with a transparent background in a .png file, and them paste them on your cars...

Simple but brilliant if you ask me... 👍

I think this is the easiest way to go...

Over 40(or something) Different Shapes
Simple Arial like font(and more) letters Uppercase(A-Z), Lowercase(a-z), Numbers(0-9), etc.
1000 Layers per side(500 in some few sides)

I posted this in another thread:

What about this for a feature relating to liveries:

A livery duplicating/copying system which can work in several ways:

- Want to make all your cars look like they're part of your 'team'? You can duplicate either the entire livery or the basic layout across either your entire garage or selected cars.

- See a livery you like on another car while playing online and want to have it? Have a system where the game remembers the 20-40 most recently seen liveries and provides the option to duplicate either the layout or the entire thing. Obviously, if your the guy who originally made the livery then you might be mighty pissed to see people copying, so give people the option to restrict copying of their liveries to the layout only (if you give an option to totally prevent then no one would be able to copy anything).

I posted this in another thread:

What about this for a feature relating to liveries:

A livery duplicating/copying system which can work in several ways:

- Want to make all your cars look like they're part of your 'team'? You can duplicate either the entire livery or the basic layout across either your entire garage or selected cars.

Being able to save groups of shapes is possible in FM4, and makes recreating a similar livery on multiple cars very easy. I'd hope that'd be possible in a GT editor as well 👍

- See a livery you like on another car while playing online and want to have it? Have a system where the game remembers the 20-40 most recently seen liveries and provides the option to duplicate either the layout or the entire thing. Obviously, if your the guy who originally made the livery then you might be mighty pissed to see people copying, so give people the option to restrict copying of their liveries to the layout only (if you give an option to totally prevent then no one would be able to copy anything).

Please no 👎. A Marketplace would make this redundant anyways; allow users to sell their liveries (or give them away for free), and let them choose if there's a limited number that can be sold, or not. I look at LBP or MNR's structures and that'd work too; basically, give the creator the option of how available their creations will be within the community.

To add, there is also a lock feature so you must ask permission to change color, decals, etc from the original designer/creator.

And it amazes me with the damage engine in the game and all the designs people create, I haven't heard a bad thing from any manufacturer against Turn 10 about having these features in the game. Why is it so different when it involves PD?

there is only so much you can do in 5 years /sarcasm

I hope this hasn't been posted before, but i had an idea to get around possible offensive user created liveries.
Basically it would involve the user creating the livery and submitting it to PD, who check the livery and either accept it or reject it. Once they accept it you can use your livery online as much as you want.
Also a way to deter people from creating offensive liveries would be to prevent them from creating liveries for a few real world days if they made 5 offensive liveries in the space of, let's say a week.
Obviously it would be unlikely that PD would devote a lot of time to be checking the liveries, but hey, it's an idea. :P

You said it yourself they wouldn't have the time, if you imagine that scenario with GT5 and 5.5 million playersm creating liveries in the first two weeks. Even if only a fifth of those people submitted just one livery that's 1.1 million to look through.

It's simply not feasible for a game of this size, the only thing they can do is what Forza does, allow users to report liveries and then they can check those for anything unacceptable.

How about if when you take it online, the room host has to decide if your livery is acceptable?

Nope, why should the host get to decide that? Then as HKS says they could disallow it just because they don't like it.

The Forza system really is fine, you very rarely actually see an offensive/illegal livery.

If they had several brand stickers for example DC, Pirelli, Total, Mobil 1 etc. and maybe some more minor brands which would be easier to get (like ones used in BTCC or championships like that: Redstone, Halfords, Tesco Momentum, Addison Lee and the smaller stickers on front bumpers and stuff) that would be legendary :) And obviously an editor which would let us use letters and numbers and stuff to design our own.

My ideas about a livery editor?

Just leave it out.
I really don't see what this would add to the game.

You serious? It adds an expression of what the players are and therefore adding variety and uniqueness to the game.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I don't see all the fuss about offensive liveries. If you see one, who really cares? It's just like going on the internet, often or not you might see something that offends you. So what? You get on with life, no?

How about they use a room system kind of like GT5's. Where you can select room/lobby options like vinyls/liveries just as you would for free roam, drift, etc?

My real idea would be to take it a step further and I feel a new online system should be made altogether. Where lobbies and match making is graded kinda like the ESRB and Peggy system.

You'd have rooms rated E+ for everyone, T for Teen, and 18+ for adults. And the livery/vinyl system can be categorized using that functionality as well. A lesser solution would be for GT/PD to implement the ratings themselves into the game so at least people could know what they were possibly getting themselves into when joining a match. Just a thought...

Back