GT6 Photomode Photographers Q&A #17 - ARC74

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 233 comments
Markus!!! Best interview...EVER!!!

Seriously, I thought you were American. I always look at your photos and wonder how you did it. You gave awesome insight on the inner workings of PS, I was unaware of such tactics.

+1 for sharing.")

I have marveled at your photos, and originality for ages. You are an amazing talent, and I just want to say...

Bang, Bang Gt Planet Gang!!!:bowdown:

Go git 'em Tiger!

@KING OF SKULLS

Your creativity within your work is absolutely incredible and it's great to read about some of your techniques you use when editing.

Also the focus trick you got from @Giulietta73 is something I also use for my own work.

You have created some of the most memorable works of art ever seen, but that Diablo drifting shot is a real fave of mine ( it's just one of many GT6 related wallpapers on my phone!).

I really hope you can continue to inspire all of us with your amazing art! :bowdown: to you!!

Disclaimer: I'm sorry for taking so long. I tried to bring my PC from portugal 3 weeks ago but it was impossible. :S That way I would be able to present a tutorial and some new things. Unfortunately that will stay for a next oportunity :)

1, How about an introduction?
Hi everyone! First of all, thank you Markus for your nomination and your great interview. It's an honor to share something about me in this amazing thread.

As some of you know, my name is Ricardo. I'm portuguese and I'm 28. Since the beggining of the year I'm living in Hamburg, Germany, working as a Community Manager for the biggest german gaming company. The worse thing about moving abroad was leaving my girlfriend and our home-sweet-home back in portugal... but we're planning to be toghether againg next year, fingers crossed.

Of course, cars are my passion... and "oh boy" Hamburg is a great place to see some real machines. Where else can you see a Mercedes 300 SL cabrio being driven on a rainny morning at 8am? ^^

I brought my PS3 in the 20th of May from Portugal and I've been just doing some laps for the GTAcademy 2015. Trying to keep the fastest DS3 time in my country as in previous years. :) Managed a 3:28:955 in the end and I'm happy with the result.

2, What keeps you coming back to the GTP Photomode Forums?
Appart from the obvious (my love for Gran Turismo and cars in general), the amazingly good mood and the amount of great people. It's such a great opportunity to be able to spend some time in this forum with so many users who are talented in so many ways (not only in the photomode section). We can learn a lot from each other about several subjetcs (art, software, sports, games, politics, philosophy, religion, technology, music, etc, etc, etc).

One of my most important life changing moments happened also because of GTPlanet and the great discussions we can have here (in this specific case the "Do you believe in God" thread).

3, What where you looking forward to the most before GT6 was released?
More recent cars, more tracks, more photomode options, a better course maker (still waiting)... and a livery editor. Unfortunaltey, the creative features were not implemented and the changes to photomode options were not that important. I really think the GT5 locations were a lot better and could give us more things to work with when going for a particular mood or theme.

I'm already waiting for GT7 (the reason I bought the PS1, PS2, PS3 was a GT game and with PS4 will be no different*).

*after watching the last SONY press conference at E3 I'm tempted to by the PS4 to play other games before GT7...or GT Sport (?). Have you seen Dark Souls III, Horizon zero dawn, Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky and The Last Guardian? Damn!

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favourite and why?
Oh... that's a hard one. I would say I love the 458, the Countach 25th Aniversary and the RedBull junior. Also, a lot of the Vision GT cars are really nice. Looking forward to the 3 versions of the STR VGT!

5, Which of the new locations is your favourite and why?
I don't like the new locations to be honest. In GT5 we had better locations with a lot more detail and variaty. Some of the GT6 locations are so badly rendered that I don't even used them.

I would have to say my favorite locations are the new tracks. ;)

6, Is there any feature, that isn't in the game, that you would have liked to see?
THE course maker, better photomode features (camera freedom, focus, save directly as jpg or even .row), livery editor and...did I mention Course Maker? Maybe a "curse maker"...

7, What car, which isn't in the game, would you like to have included in GT6?
I 'd like to have the E30 BMW (either the M3 or the 318is) and porsche*... all of them! If we could have Posche in GT I wouldn't mind not haveing the course maker. :P

*read the news and EA will (allegedly) lose the rights over Porsche cars/products. Cool!

8, Could you share a location that you'd love to see added to GT6?
I'd love to have a virtual studio where we could place light sources, reflectors etc. Also big locations like a lake of salt, desert, forrest, beach, etc. Sometimes we just want to shoot a car in a context completely different from a racing circuit or a specific photomode location with a very limited area to place the car and chose a nice composition.

9, Could you talk us through one of your GT6 pictures from start to finish?
Well, I think I have to talk about the "80+ Huayra" shot... several people already told me to do it since the day I posted it in this forum so I have no other choice. ^^

I have to say first that if you're thinking about doing something similar, please be aware of the time and effort it will demand. Also, don't shoot the Huayra interior... it's a pain in the ass to align all the carbon fiber after the amount of distortion you get from all the individual shots. Of course the huayra interior looks great but I would never do it again. Not with this car lol.

Acouple of weeks before I tried this humongus project I was playing with panoramas and merging interior shots.

Intimacy

Then, since I had a lot of free time (I was unemplyed) I though "why not trying to make an interior giant panorama"? I tryed several cars (including the Veyron, the 458 and the GTO) but none of them had the detail and interior light conditions I wanted. The huayra has a partial transparent roof and that helped a lot.

Then, the actual thing took me about 1h30 to shoot (more than 80 shots in x2 resolution and a very controled DS3 left stick).

yrp5.jpg

After that I just uploaded the shots and made 9 horizontal panoramas. Unfortunately I lost the bottom pano because somehow I messed up while shooting... probably touched the right analog and the position changed a bit.

e7so.jpg

hmx9.jpg

zhun.jpg

7i3x.jpg

609q.jpg

tq4t.jpg

b72y.jpg

zmch.jpg

dc5m.jpg

Then, after the 9 horizontal panos started the real challenge.

v5f8.jpg

Heavy edit and retouch... as you can see there were parts missing and serious problems due to camera distortions... This process took me over 8h.

ofj2.jpg

And finally, detail edit. Retouched in LightRoom and final touch in PS.

10, How about giving us a mini tutorial on any aspect of photographing in GT6?
(No answer)

11, Can you give us a mini tutorial on any aspect of editing?
I'll do it when I have my stuff :X

12, What part of photography/editing do you need to improve on and why?
Probably the attention to some details that sometimes make or break a shot. I think my consistency is not as high as what I wanted it to be but I'm also a little bit lazy sometimes. I'd like to have a more in-depth knowledge of photography because what I know is very generic and a great part I just learned by myself.

13, Do you ever see a picture and think "How did they do that?". Which GTPlanet photomode members picture would you like to know more about?
Yep, of course. I specially love leeislee's, NBD's, GPR's, Kodje's and Ferino's styles. They really know how to take your breath with "pixels on a screen". ^^ Suberb.

14, Do you have any words of wisdom or anything else you can share to inspire the rest of us?
I'm not good with words. I really think that this community doesn't need a lot words of wisdom. Every single one of you is a master and more important than that, every single one of you is willing to learn and imporeve despite the amount of ecpicness you already present/posess. I can just ask you "please, continue!".

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session and why?
Ac1. He's not as "present" as some of other photomoders but man, when he comes to this section and present us with his sets I can almost feel a breeze of fresh air! Really like his realistic approach. Gracias tio! :P

Thank you everyone for reading and I'm sorry if I disappointed someone with the lack of content in my interview. I'll try to make a tutorial as soon as I can (have my PC).

Cheers!

Last edited:
It was well worth the wait just to see that interior shot again. It's insane the amount of work that you put into that Ricardo.

I could look at it for a hour and not take in all the detail

giphy.gif

Last edited:
RICARDOOOOOOOOOO!!! Finally!:bowdown:

After seeing how you put that Pagani interior together, I found out almost instantly...I'm a loser. I never think of those things, but the great thing is I always had you around to bring my dreans to life.

Your photos are alwafys crisp, clear, magical, technically superior, and well processed. The Pagani interior shot rules all that gaze apon it.

Plus NOBODY works the green paint chip like you.👍

You are among my favorite artists of inspiration, and I always am amazed by your take on this thing we do.

That said, I look forward to your future projects. You put the 'Oh Sh☆☆' in the word Wow!

Stay hard Bro!!!👍

Ricardo, every time I look that that shot.... I can't even put into words what goes through my mind. Just wow. :drool: :bowdown: You deserve the most respect imaginable for all your effort and dedication you put into that. It's simply stunning. All those hours, just to make a simple photo from a silly little game!!! And to make it look as real as it is, just incredible. As our friend Gary would say, :bow-all-the-way-down-to-the-floor:. It's really that amazing.

But, enough of my jibber-jabber. Great read Ricardo, I can't wait till I get to see more of your creations!!! :cheers: :drool: :bowdown: 👍

Excellent interviews you carry out, photo from another 80 photos is too incredible. It is an honor to be nominated for this thread ^^. I hope to live, this week I hope to do it.
Not understand everything I would like the English is something that stops me to participate more :ouch:

ac1
Excellent interviews you carry out, photo from another 80 photos is too incredible. It is an honor to be nominated for this thread ^^. I hope to live, this week I hope to do it.
Not understand everything I would like the English is something that stops me to participate more :ouch:
Just do the best you can. we'll know what you mean 👍

It was well worth the wait just to see that interior shot again. It's insane the amount of work that you put into that Ricardo.

I could look at it for a hour and not take in all the detail

Thank you for the feedback Lee :)

RICARDOOOOOOOOOO!!! Finally!:bowdown:

After seeing how you put that Pagani interior together, I found out almost instantly...I'm a loser. I never think of those things, but the great thing is I always had you around to bring my dreans to life.

Your photos are alwafys crisp, clear, magical, technically superior, and well processed. The Pagani interior shot rules all that gaze apon it.

Plus NOBODY works the green paint chip like you.👍

You are among my favorite artists of inspiration, and I always am amazed by your take on this thing we do.

That said, I look forward to your future projects. You put the 'Oh Sh☆☆' in the word Wow!

Stay hard Bro!!!👍

Great post, as always! Thank you so much for you kind words mate. It's funny that you say that about the green color because I'm really picky with greens haha.

I'm really looking forward for the next GT game. Hopefully won't take too long.

PS: You're not a loser Gary. You're great and a very unique member of our small community here in the photomode corner of GTP. ;)

:cheers:

Ricardo, every time I look that that shot.... I can't even put into words what goes through my mind. Just wow. :drool: :bowdown: You deserve the most respect imaginable for all your effort and dedication you put into that. It's simply stunning. All those hours, just to make a simple photo from a silly little game!!! And to make it look as real as it is, just incredible. As our friend Gary would say, :bow-all-the-way-down-to-the-floor:. It's really that amazing.

But, enough of my jibber-jabber. Great read Ricardo, I can't wait till I get to see more of your creations!!! :cheers: :drool: :bowdown: 👍

Thank you very much! :) It's nice to read that a single shot can have such an impact. THis must be the only positive outcome of the fact that we don't have the option to shot interiors in photomode... :D

I can't wait to put my hands on my PC and the next GT game. GT6 is not as appealing to me as it was in the past. ^^

ac1

You deserve it. ;) And don't worry about your english. You have time to put it all together and I'm sure it will be interesting!

:Cheers:

That was a great interview Ricardo!

To create a pano out of 80 individual photos was truly mind blowing and it is a testament to your incredible skills.

That should go down in history somewhere as one of the all time greats!

I do agree with you on the many aspects of GT6 and I certainly hope that GT7 will exceed our expectations in every way.

Also the photomode locations you described are exactly what I want too.

As always keep up the amazing work and your choice of @ac1 for the next interview is spot on as he creates some of the most atmospheric an realistic photos around!

1, How about an introduction?
Well, first of all to thank Ricardo for remembering me.I just took a year here Ricardo ^^ !!

My name is Adrian. I'm from Spain as my avatar shows and more specifically from a village in Toledo. I am 34 years old and my hobby has always been video games. And it's strange because I get tired quickly.

I've had my time of modeling, papercraft, lots of styles of music, warhammer, graphic design, photography, manga ... But all for a while and then not do it again.

Draftsman have the title and I was studying architecture and topography but ... I got tired; and now I have, with my brother, two boutiques, and every day I see good babes :sly:👍 :D
And now I'm with you, I hope for long.

2, What keeps you coming back to the GTP Photomode Forums?
I've been in other forums over ten years. And you know how this works.

People get excited and start filling thread photos with super graphics for battles between consoles .....

And I have always been impressed with excellent images of Gran Turismo of a "strange" page called GTPlanet.

Well here I am.

3, What where you looking forward to the most before GT6 was released?
GT6 waiting for today's cars, especially Audi, and like everyone else, a livery editor.

GT6 also thought that would come out in PS4, not PS3. So I expect a significant change. Above a total change in the primary structure of the game. Currently this obsolete.I think they should approach it in major championships where the atmosphere is felt. You see SuperGT race with all those flags and all those fans, then why I not see in Gran Turismo.

Missing the days of training, classification, paddock, pickstops crowded (Le Mans ...), etc.

I loved that video E3 2005. It conveyed very well the competition.

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favourite and why?
I really like the McLaren MP4-12C. It seems a very stylish car, I can even like more your partner P1 (too "tacky" to the road). Others that I like are the Pagani Huayra or the Red Bull junior with that spectacular sound.

5, Which of the new locations is your favourite and why?
I do not like any particular location, perhaps The City of Arts and Sciences. But it's a shame they are only nighttime photos. These white tile walls would be great to daylight.
In addition, usually I do not like open places like squares. I prefer enclosed places as ships or the Japanese market GT4

6, Is there any feature, that isn't in the game, that you would have liked to see?
Livery editor certainly. Once achieved the editor, they would have to do so many cars. For example in the DTM it would be enough to do an Audi, a Mercedes and a BMW.

They work less and we appreciate it.

Photo mode. GT7 hope that, with the power of PS4 we can do night shots with long exposures.

7, What car, which isn't in the game, would you like to have included in GT6?
Audi. I miss the A5, A7 ....

8, Could you share a location that you'd love to see added to GT6?
Everest base camp would be great, there among the stones :dunce:

Seriously, if it was an open location would love a devastating place, the car and the horizon. Still, I prefer enclosed spaces, like I said before. Places like an abandoned warehouse, a photography studio, a display of some automobile exhibition.

Although I really like total freedom of movement in any circuit. I still remember how I loved to escape from the scene in Seattle GT3.

9, Could you talk us through one of your GT6 pictures from start to finish?
Well, we got to the point that everyone always want in these interviews.

Knowing the greatest secrets of each ... well, I'll tell you everything. Not that there's much to tell. I just try to give a television and realistic, more natural look.

Notice that my workplace is this :embarrassed::

How many not it happen that you see in the console super realistic pictures, but then PC all that has been lost? I'm just trying to get it back.

Normally in GT, photos are bluer, less bright and less contrast. I just do the reverse process.

First, restore luster:

Enhance contrast:

Send warmth to the photo:

Then if we regulate is a bit too green to pink:

We can add some reflection with the app LensFlare:

And that's it, at least for the basics. And then if we want we can add vignetting:

Maybe a little, any effect of those typical of instagram, I use the app Faded:

And this is the result:

Something that is great, but I have not put on these pictures because I find current car too, is to add noise to the image. Then I explain why.

10, How about giving us a mini tutorial on any aspect of photographing in GT6?
Well, I will not say anything that many already know, but always good to remember.

White cars are most grateful to touch, since they keep the color despite greatly increased brightness:

Cars in the shade, better:

Photos with cloudy sky (50,75,100%) are the best to start practicing.
Almost always they go well. You just have to give more light and warmth:

As the editor of GT is a bit bad, it is preferable to dark and then fix photos:

Photos with a 25% increase climate are great a little shine, and adding a lot of noise. They create a wonderful atmosphere:

If you want pictures sunny, never at 15:00 PM. Better a Nurburgring at 18:20 pm Suzuka morning or evening, and so with all:

I put things that many of you know, but you can always forget something ^^

11, Can you give us a mini tutorial on any aspect of editing?
The biggest problem are the night shots are very bland in GT. Nothing, few reflections with LensFlare, arranged ^^

12, What part of photography/editing do you need to improve on and why?
Buff, certainly the composition of the photos, I love to see how people create magnificent compositions, all so harmonious. I can not do photography studio.You see works such as GPR and have a lot of envy :banghead::D

13, Do you ever see a picture and think "How did they do that?". Which GTPlanet photomode members picture would you like to know more about?
Constantly, there are work colleagues who really are incredible, with a bestial quality.
Above that are the opposite of me. Create a magnificent black and reflexes I simply do not know.

To take recent examples:

14, Do you have any words of wisdom or
anything else you can share to inspire the rest of us?
Mmm, I do not think. Here are excellent artists with a super refined techniques. perhaps any advice for which is starting, so fast.

I always wear a f1.0 / f2.0, very low so that the scenarios do not look as polygonal. Especially in those trees horizon with many jaggies.

15, Finally, Who would you like to
nominate for the next Q&A session and why?
As it has been difficult. I want to know details of long companions. But in the end I decided to AidenNewman888. I love his compositions, such as vivid colors and those angles. Manages to convey so hard at their jobs.

Well that's all. I was delighted to participate here and try to help where possible. As you see you can do good things with 3 simple app Ipad.

Ahh, and sorry for my English by Google Translator :dunce:

Last edited:
Nice interview @ac1! :)

I have one question for you: On night shot and the Honda HSV shots (after the 11. question), how can you do the lights (on cars) become more expressives?? You added a little of gradient, right?? If you know what i mean...

Nice interview @ac1! :)

I have one question for you: On night shot and the Honda HSV shots (after the 11. question), how can you do the lights (on cars) become more expressives?? You added a little of gradient, right?? If you know what i mean...

Thanks mate!!

Not what you mean with "gradient" but I explain it more or less seeing whole picture.

Surely I turned up the brightness, contrast and saturation perhaps. The rest is all with the app "Lensflare".

This comes with predefined flash:

640px-Mograph_lensflare.png

Just add a good amount and go. :dopey:

ac1
Thanks mate!!

Not what you mean with "gradient" but I explain it more or less seeing whole picture.

Surely I turned up the brightness, contrast and saturation perhaps. The rest is all with the app "Lensflare".

If you don't know what is: "The Gradient Tool allows you to draw gradients in several formats. With its transparency mode, you can also "fade" or "blend" two images together."

If you don't know what is: "The Gradient Tool allows you to draw gradients in several formats. With its transparency mode, you can also "fade" or "blend" two images together."
Ok, I know what you mean XD, no, I do not remember using that image gradient. It's just overexposure brightness and more saturated ^^

Back