GTA V - General Thread

• Thread starter Hollidog
  • 9,032 comments
Found this..

QHNi0SN.gif

First thing that came to my mind:

Killdozer.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks the cars look more 'solid' and heavier than GTA4? The physics generally look better IMO, and I quite liked the car physics in GTA4.

I wonder if there's forklifts in the game, and if we can lift up cars, like in SA... That would be fun :D.

And, still no info on cheats?
Guy tried to lift up a cop car, but as soon as he started to lift it, he gained a wanted level & abandoned it. So, it looks highly possible.

Edit* For those concerned about the physics, we all know most of the leakers were playing as Franklin & a lot of the driving looked really arcadey. Well, this should explain & give some hope to those expecting different.
First off, don't worry, the driving isn't like MC:LA, the closest to "arcade" feeling you'll get, is while driving a tuned up super car as Franklin. The driving is similar to IV, but feels tighter, and more responsive. "Less boaty" would be how I would describe it. Driving differs between the three Protagonists as well.

As Franklin, it's easier to maneuver in a vehicle. Vehicles feel more responsive, turn harder, and overall just feel smoother to control. Drifting, J-turns, barrel rolls, etc, are all easier as Franklin. What do I mean? Say you take a 45° turn at 40 mph as Michael in a small car, you would end up hitting the wall if you didn't slow way down and hand break hard through the turn, as Franklin, you don't have to compensate as much, merely turning and lightly applying the breaks will see you drifting through that corner with ease without having to slow down as much.

So far, the driving's been a lot of fun, less spinning wildly out of control, and more getting to where you want to go. Those of you who want to do some awesome "Fast and the Furious" machinima will appreciate the "super cars." They differ from normal cars, they can turn on a dime, accelerate to top speed in a mater of moments, and drift through 90° turns like something out of a movie. They're truly in a class all their own. Don't worry, if you're a fan of GTA IV driving, the normal vehicles in the game handle roughly the same, just slightly tighter. The big trucks still feel heavy and tipsy at high speeds, and the small cars are light and nimble at low speeds. (Like the Honda civic esque car from IV)

And hand-to-hand combat as this has been a big question on the web.
"How is the melee combat?"

It's been vastly improved from GTA IV. It's no longer a rigid lock on based system. It's a 360° free flowing combat system. What does this mean you ask? Let's use an example to help you understand.

Say you have three people around you, one behind you, one in front of you, and one to your left. In GTA IV, you would lock on to the guy in front of you, and get the absolute shtako kicked out of you as you tried to fight him, by the two people to your back and side.

In GTA V however, pressing the "punch" button while aiming your analog stick backwards, will result in you striking the person behind you with an elbow to the face, aim forward, and you'll take your elbow swing forwards into a jab, aim to your left, and say, press the "kick" button this time, and you'll fluidly swing your left leg out, kneecapping the opponent, and finishing them with a strike to the face from your right arm.

Your melee attacks can be linked together to create an almost cinematic display not to dissimilar from how Sleeping Dogs melee system is. The animations are VERY fluid, and link together without any noticeable hiccups. You'll rarely be able to notice the transition from punching someone to your left, and bringing your left hook around to take out someone on your right. It all looks very natural, the animation department did a phenomenal job with the melee animations. Your character will preform a wide variety of moves, and even do things such as grabbing someone by the shirt, and then punching them, like a finisher move. As Franklin, My punches were heavy and shook the controller, it made the melee very satisfying and gratifying.

Edit: You can also block and counter. Much like in IV, you can block, if you press, I believe it was "Y" (For Xbox) just as they swing, you'll perform a counter like Niko would.

Trust me when I say, you'll love the new melee combat. So far, the only thing I've notice, is the occasional "hate surfing" when going for a strike on an enemy. You see, the game kind of locks onto an enemy as you go for a swing, if he steps back, or something happens that moves him out of the way, you may sometimes slide towards him to connect your attack, just like in Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, the term "hate surfing" came about, because if an enemy were moved in that game while you were preforming a heavy melee, you would sometimes slide to where they were to finish the animation, and hit them regardless of their movement. *Charge up heavy melee* *Grenade knocks enemy down just as punch is connecting* *You slide with downing enemy to punch him*
And the question on the lack of "life" in the city.
How is the concentration of peds?

Varied, the country is sparse, as it would be, and the inner city is bustling with activity, the city really does feel "alive." If you don't have a wanted level, (Wanted levels cause there to be less NPCS around.) head to Vespuci beach, you'll see hundreds of NPCs on the beach. (Okay, maybe not hundreds but it's certainly congested)
Not really a great example as there's nothing there to render but the location & peds, but still a solid reply.

Last edited:
Best video I've seen so far, includes store robbery and Franklin re-styling his car with his foot!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14ny4i_gta-v-robbing-carwash-cavalcade-gameplay_videogames

Engine sounds seem nice, and the driving physics don't seem as rigid as I thought.

Here's one with some Jet gameplay:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14o519_how-to-steal-military-jet-early-game_videogames

So apparently you can use Jerry cans to create trails and puddles of gas:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14nyls_gta-v-jerry-can-explosion_videogames:embarrassed:

Wow. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a VTOL like I believe the Hydra was, but it still takes off pretty much instantly. :lol:

SAMs are back to ruin your day as well.

Bah, I've got no self control. Tried to avoid watching anything, but I've given in and I'm currently watching the stream. :lol:

Bah, I've got no self control. Tried to avoid watching anything, but I've given in and I'm currently watching the stream. :lol:

Same, only thing I don't like is that it seems all cars handle like they are on rails. I can live with it, but not happy about it.

Also, remember that every car has different handling and most cars can have their handling improved through the customs shop.

Don't worry about the vehicle handling. It won't be like Saints row 3 which was just awful.

The cars still have a sense of weight to them and can slide around, they are just more responsive than GTA IV.

Me too, I actually take back what I said about the driving. It looks great

Yeah, I can see what others are saying about the driving, but it looks pretty good to me. Also melee combat looks great. 👍

Oh my God this game will never end, too much stuff to do. The details are crazy

Yeah, I can see what others are saying about the driving, but it looks pretty good to me. Also melee combat looks great. 👍

True, also the shooting mechanics are very real, everything is perfect until now lol

The Stream is still on btw, I might get it late so I don't care

Anyone who just watched the stream will have caught this, but putting it in spoiler. It pertains to the characters interacting with each other outside of a mission/hanging out.
So, apparently, after hanging out with one of 3 characters, if you can manage to find them quickly afterwards, you may piss them off if you follow them. The stream showed Trevor following Michael & being told to go away 3 times. Afterwards, Michael turned throwing a punch right in Trevor's face leaving him "Wasted".

Have no idea if this is the result every time, but thought the look on Trevor's face was hilarious.

Anyone who just watched the stream will have caught this, but putting it in spoiler. It pertains to the characters interacting with each other outside of a mission/hanging out.
So, apparently, after hanging out with one of 3 characters, if you can manage to find them quickly afterwards, you may piss them off if you follow them. The stream showed Trevor following Michael & being told to go away 3 times. Afterwards, Michael turned throwing a punch right in Trevor's face leaving him "Wasted".

Have no idea if this is the result every time, but thought the look on Trevor's face was hilarious.

That blew my mind when it happened! Haha it's awesome that you can find the other guys. But Rockstar wouldn't want us following them forever as they would never really do anything other than walk around...

This stream is so good I can't stop watching.

Please spoilertag the links and any replies to anything.

Also, I wish I could get this game day one. Spent too much money on clothing and stuff. When I do get it I'll be in hibernation.

So tempting to watch these videos/streams! Thanks to everyone for being so good with the spoiler tags 👍
Good to hear that maybe the driving looked to easy because it was Franklin driving too, I quite liked the handling in IV. Only 3 days to go now!

Back