GTA V - General Thread

• Thread starter Hollidog
  • 9,032 comments
Or at least give us the option to choose the size of our wheels
I'm not that familiar with the details, but given the fact that Rockstar needs to be able to keep track of what everyone's done to their vehicles, that might be complicating matters.

Anyone else feel there should be more differentiation between the various wheel types? I really want SUV wheels to be smaller in diameter than Sports and High End, but bigger than Lowrider, Muscle and Tuner.

Completely agree with you here, but IMO, the biggest change with wheels that needs to happen is all types have the same performance. That way, hardcore racers no longer need to put off-road wheels on supercars just to handle bumps and curbs.

Dan
Completely agree with you here, but IMO, the biggest change with wheels that needs to happen is all types have the same performance. That way, hardcore racers no longer need to put off-road wheels on supercars just to handle bumps and curbs.

They need to change up the fitment of wheels too. Have you seen it when you put tires other than the stock ones on an RE-7B? It's disgusting.

Dan
I thought that wasn't an actual thing?

Dan
Off-road tires have a higher sidewall, so they can absorb impacts more easily than supercar tires which have minimal sidewall.

Only on certain cars, though. A lot of cars aren't affected by tyre choice at all - only cars with a certain handling attribute set to positive (AllowTyreClipping=1 I believe) are affected by the tyre choice. As it so happens I believe the three new supercars are affected by tyre choice, and whether R* choose to keep it or remove it it should definitely be consistent across all vehicles in the game, especially since there seems to be no correlation between the vehicles that are and aren't affected.

Only on certain cars, though. A lot of cars aren't affected by tyre choice at all - only cars with a certain handling attribute set to positive (AllowTyreClipping=1 I believe) are affected by the tyre choice. As it so happens I believe the three new supercars are affected by tyre choice, and whether R* choose to keep it or remove it it should definitely be consistent across all vehicles in the game, especially since there seems to be no correlation between the vehicles that are and aren't affected.

I must have forgotten about this. Thanks for reminding me. Additionally, some cars need to have tweaked "Off-road Traction Loss" values. In particular, the Sultan RS. If it has rally modifications, why on earth would Rockstar program the car to be terrible on dirt paths?

Prohibiting custom vehicles in races also eliminates the off road tire issue...and gets rid of the stupid custom horns. We get it, you spent $10,000 on something completely useless.

Prohibiting custom vehicles in races also eliminates the off road tire issue...and gets rid of the stupid custom horns. We get it, you spent $10,000 on something completely useless.

It also prevents the use of wings, which means that the Coupes class (one of the only remaining 'balanced' classes) is effectively limited to the Exemplar only. Also honestly whilst the off road tyre issue is an issue, it's not like you can't be competitive in races without equipping them - unless you're going for world-record lap times or something and you need to be kerb-boosting as much as possible you might as well go for form over function.

Only on certain cars, though. A lot of cars aren't affected by tyre choice at all - only cars with a certain handling attribute set to positive (AllowTyreClipping=1 I believe) are affected by the tyre choice.
Anyone know what cars use this?

Anyone know what cars use this?

Broughy Vid HERE Link to spreadsheet is in the descrition.

You go to the spreadsheet > Handling Data Full > strHandlingFlags

There will be a number in each coloumn for each vehicle. Reading from right to left, if the 5th number is a 2 then the tyres clip and off-road tyres are beneficial.

BF400
Cliffhanger
Enduro
Gargoyle
Ruffian
Sanchez (I dont know how it works with bikes since all the wheels are in the one category, even they are visually different.)
Nightshade
Insurgent (Both)
Sandking (Both)
Feltzer
Jester (Both)
Massacro (Both)
Omnis
Tropos Rallye
Stinger GT
Stirling GT
ETR1
FMJ
Osiris
RE-7B
Reaper
T20
Turismo
Tyrus
X80
Zentorno

I moved this to the General thread as doesnt belong in the GTA 5 Cars thread.

That is the figure most commonly cited; if you think it's debatable, post some links backing that up.

It doesn't change the fact the profits paid for the game Day 1 and once over. It was an entertainment record setter.
R* have never published a figure for the budget since then but if you cannot see why a 3 year old figure may not entirely be accurate then fine. True, it doesn't make much difference due to the money it made. Not entirely relevant here I just wanted to point out that it was an old figure.

That's not a good excuse.

"Just watch someone else play the game. Who cares how you might like it in your own hands".
My point was to find a GTP'er or friend who owned the car you want to test and borrow it. You can dupe personal vehicles in GTA races so you can test it on any track. I mentioned youtube as a way to see the customisation offered in LSC but if yu dont like that then you could sit in said persons car whilst they are in LSC/Bennys and preview the mods. There are no secrets, just because you cannot build the car in SP first does not ruin the game. Within the GTP GTA players, we probably own all the cars worth owning.
None of which explains why Rockstar conveniently stopped updating Single Player just before they started releasing a lot of these highly desirable items in the last few updates. Hmm, why spend $2 million+ in game currency when I could buy it in Single Player and see if I like it? Rockstar stopped that with the end of Single Player updates. This isn't a case of adding longevity to the game; it's clear cut move to make easy money bypassing regular DLC packs in exchange for overpriced micro-transactions for people who don't want to grind. And who can blame them? Rockstar has been asked repeatedly to up the rewards for missions a bit.
If R* stopped updating SP like you said to make money then so be it, but it does not stop players from testing vehicles before they buy them.

You claiming it stops noobs from getting the best gear and then asking if it would be better to level lock the cars is funny, considering the best gear in the game already is level locked; certain modifications and weapons require higher ranks/accomplishments to use them. You're already rewarded for sticking it out with the game with pretty much everything but the cars.

Level locking cars was a rhetorical question. Car performance upgrades can be unlocked by either winning races or reaching a certain level but like I mentioned, you don't need a fully upgraded car to win races, it helps though.
Sticky bombs are level locked to level 19 which doesnt take long to reach...the homing launcher however is not level locked and that is one of the best/OP weapons to have. The RPG is the only level locked weapon that you could argue is necessary and it unlocks at level 100. Once again, if you are in a gunfight, player skill will beat a better weapon so money isn't necessarily an advantage.

My point is that shark cards don't ruin the game because you cant buy an advantage in races. If race can be won in a bullet for under $300k, then why do you need a $3M X80? I'm not saying that having a fast car doesn't give you an advantage but if you suck at driving, a fast car wont help.

Griefers in this game don't need the Hydra; the alternative you listed in the Lazer is enough to screw with people.
Exactly, so why buy a $3M jet? This proves my point that if a person dumps $40 or whatever on sharkcards to buy a jet, then they don't have an advantage over those who don't.

That's another poor excuse to justify Shark Cards. Just because someone can afford it doesn't mean it's a good decision by Rockstar. GTA V isn't a pay-to-play game like mobile games.
Right, it isn't a pay-to-play because you do not need shark cards/real money to buy content. Simple. It's better this way than offering heists and the stunt races as £10 DLC packs for example. If that were the case then there would be a bunch of people that couldn't get access to certain vehicles in free roam like the Insurgent, Armoured Kuruma, then they would be at a disadvantage because they did not spend real life money on the game. IMO that is unfair.
The fact that the shark card system is more profitable for R* is irrelevant, it gets players free DLC because a minority spend lots of real life money on the game BUT do not gain an advantage over players who did not spend real life money. It's not like R* are being really shady and ripping players off with false promises, the few I know who bought shark cards did so with open eyes.

A major part of GTA now is the social aspect. If you play this solo then it will be a grind and totally unrewarding. If I didn't play with GTP'ers then I would likely have dumped it shortly after heists and I doubt very much lowriders or the stunt races would have brought me back. There are ways to make tonnes of money if you have a group (like the Pacific Standard exploit, which some have said is pretty much unpatch-able). Just because you cannot get vehicles in SP doesn't mean you cannot test them and it certainly doesn't ruin the game either. Also, I have to say, did players not expect items to get increasingly more expensive anyway, especially when there are more/easier means to make money playing the game?

My only two cents to add is that Rockstar do frequent rebates on the shark cards, so if you're buying a Shark Card at the right time you're actually getting some free in game money.

There that's my bit for this convo

My only two cents to add is that Rockstar do frequent rebates on the shark cards, so if you're buying a Shark Card at the right time you're actually getting some free in game money.

There that's my bit for this convo

Not to mention that almost every single item in the game has been discounted at some point, even yachts.

I moved this to the General thread as doesnt belong in the GTA 5 Cars thread.

R* have never published a figure for the budget since then but if you cannot see why a 3 year old figure may not entirely be accurate then fine. True, it doesn't make much difference due to the money it made. Not entirely relevant here I just wanted to point out that it was an old figure.
It was not 3 years old at the time of publication. The figure was published directly at the release of the game.

It's clear you're trying to disregard the figure but have no intention of actually supporting why.
My point was to find a GTP'er or friend who owned the car you want to test and borrow it. You can dupe personal vehicles in GTA races so you can test it on any track. I mentioned youtube as a way to see the customisation offered in LSC but if yu dont like that then you could sit in said persons car whilst they are in LSC/Bennys and preview the mods. There are no secrets, just because you cannot build the car in SP first does not ruin the game. Within the GTP GTA players, we probably own all the cars worth owning.
If R* stopped updating SP like you said to make money then so be it, but it does not stop players from testing vehicles before they buy them.
Not everyone has that option. They're not all on a forum like this for support.

Your solution is to dupe or hope someone you know has the features unlocked. So yes, not updating the Single Player does indeed stop you because without it, you have to hope you know some one with the means to help. It has been one of the biggest theories as to why SP stopped getting updates at all; Rockstar originally didn't even allow the other cosmetics like tattoos and clothes into SP. Why?
Level locking cars was a rhetorical question. Car performance upgrades can be unlocked by either winning races or reaching a certain level but like I mentioned, you don't need a fully upgraded car to win races, it helps though.
Sticky bombs are level locked to level 19 which doesnt take long to reach...the homing launcher however is not level locked and that is one of the best/OP weapons to have. The RPG is the only level locked weapon that you could argue is necessary and it unlocks at level 100. Once again, if you are in a gunfight, player skill will beat a better weapon so money isn't necessarily an advantage.
Ah, so now it's down to player skill. Before, you needed higher prices to keep people from getting the best gear, but now the "best gear" doesn't matter because it can be beaten by scrub weapons.
My point is that shark cards don't ruin the game because you cant buy an advantage in races.
That's the exact opposite of what you said earlier. The cars are expensive to keep people from getting the best gear, thus the Shark Cards would indeed all you to buy an advanatge & acquire them.
If race can be won in a bullet for under $300k, then why do you need a $3M X80? I'm not saying that having a fast car doesn't give you an advantage but if you suck at driving, a fast car wont help.

Exactly, so why buy a $3M jet? This proves my point that if a person dumps $40 or whatever on sharkcards to buy a jet, then they don't have an advantage over those who don't.
Refer above. These were expensive to keep people from griefing; now they're pointless and people grief anyway.

The other issue with this argument is that it's similar to the real world; you don't need a 6-figure car to beat another, but you buy it anyway because that's what you like.

Right, it isn't a pay-to-play because you do not need shark cards/real money to buy content. Simple. It's better this way than offering heists and the stunt races as £10 DLC packs for example. If that were the case then there would be a bunch of people that couldn't get access to certain vehicles in free roam like the Insurgent, Armoured Kuruma, then they would be at a disadvantage because they did not spend real life money on the game. IMO that is unfair.
Oh well damn. I guess every game is unfair then bc someone can buy new items and someone else can't despite the fact DLC packs are available to everybody at the same price.

The irony again in using Heist vehicles as your argument considering they require other people to access as well.

The fact that the shark card system is more profitable for R* is irrelevant, it gets players free DLC because a minority spend lots of real life money on the game BUT do not gain an advantage over players who did not spend real life money. It's not like R* are being really shady and ripping players off with false promises, the few I know who bought shark cards did so with open eyes.
It is relevant. Your whole argument has changed due so.

One last time,
Like previously said in the thread it also adds longevity to the updates and it stop noobs getting the best gear
If that is the case, then yes, the minority are buying an advanatge because they are bypassing the time it takes to acquire the "best gear".

However, now this is no longer the best gear in your argument bc it can be beaten. Your argument was used against you, now you're questioning why these are even worth getting.

Citing that certain items have been discounted is what's irrelevant.

Oh-My-God-Who-The-Hell-Cares-Gif-On-Family-Guy.gif

We have an active crew where you can find other players to play with. If you can't find someone who has something for you to try out, then you aren't trying hard enough to play with crew members.

That's the only point that I'm going to make, as I've become tired of this conversation that seems to keep reappearing every other month or so.

I'll see myself out.

It was not 3 years old at the time of publication. The figure was published directly at the release of the game.

It's clear you're trying to disregard the figure but have no intention of actually supporting why.
The game has changed a lot in 3 years. R*s plans for the game have changed a lot in 3 years. It is not inconceivable that the budget may have also changed. Maybe not changed by much but it's irrelevant because they made over $2B so if they started with a budget of $265M and it rose to $300M, would it have made a big difference in the profits? No. As we both agreed earlier, the shark cards are not keeping the game alive so obviously the game sales did/are.

Your solution is to dupe or hope someone you know has the features unlocked. So yes, not updating the Single Player does indeed stop you because without it, you have to hope you know some one with the means to help. It has been one of the biggest theories as to why SP stopped getting updates at all; Rockstar originally didn't even allow the other cosmetics like tattoos and clothes into SP. Why?
Ah, so now it's down to player skill. Before, you needed higher prices to keep people from getting the best gear, but now the "best gear" doesn't matter because it can be beaten by scrub weapons.
That's the exact opposite of what you said earlier. The cars are expensive to keep people from getting the best gear, thus the Shark Cards would indeed all you to buy an advantage & acquire them.
Refer above. These were expensive to keep people from griefing; now they're pointless and people grief anyway.
The other issue with this argument is that it's similar to the real world; you don't need a 6-figure car to beat another, but you buy it anyway because that's what you like.
Oh well damn. I guess every game is unfair then bc someone can buy new items and someone else can't despite the fact DLC packs are available to everybody at the same price.
The irony again in using Heist vehicles as your argument considering they require other people to access as well.
It is relevant. Your whole argument has changed due so.
One last time,
If that is the case, then yes, the minority are buying an advantage because they are bypassing the time it takes to acquire the "best gear".
However, now this is no longer the best gear in your argument bc it can be beaten. Your argument was used against you, now you're questioning why these are even worth getting.
Citing that certain items have been discounted is what's irrelevant.

I'm just going to summarise the point one last time.
Whether or not you buy shark cards does not limit your access to the best gear. Having the best gear does not give you an advantage so great that you will be able to dominate other players who do not have said best gear. Your ability to succeed in the game is a combination of the gear you have and player skill. One will not beat the other on its own.

Your solution is to dupe or hope someone you know has the features unlocked. So yes, not updating the Single Player does indeed stop you because without it, you have to hope you know some one with the means to help. It has been one of the biggest theories as to why SP stopped getting updates at all
The game has an integrated crew system, the PS4 has an integrated community system, if you are not part of some sort of community and are a frequent GTA Online player then you are doing it wrong. There is no way that the R* vision for heists was players waiting around for randoms/randoms ****ing up missions. Most people use mics too. Like I said, GTA has a major social aspect to it and if you play the game solo then it will suck.
Rockstar originally didn't even allow the other cosmetics like tattoos and clothes into SP. Why?
Maybe because you are playing a character and they wanted to limit customisation so that the identity of the character wasn't lost, hardly a game-breaker.

The game has changed a lot in 3 years. R*s plans for the game have changed a lot in 3 years. It is not inconceivable that the budget may have also changed. Maybe not changed by much but it's irrelevant because they made over $2B so if they started with a budget of $265M and it rose to $300M, would it have made a big difference in the profits? No. As we both agreed earlier, the shark cards are not keeping the game alive so obviously the game sales did/are.
No, it hasn't. The only thing that's changed are updates like Cunning Stunts. The packs have been the same, the game has remained the same to its core.

I'm just going to summarise the point one last time.
Whether or not you buy shark cards does not limit your access to the best gear. Having the best gear does not give you an advantage so great that you will be able to dominate other players who do not have said best gear. Your ability to succeed in the game is a combination of the gear you have and player skill. One will not beat the other on its own.
And let me summarize what you said one last time.

The price hike is to create longevity and stops noobs from getting the best gear. If you purchase a Shark Card, it does give you advantage at the, per YOUR words, best gear.

You have changed your argument now that anyone can beat anyone with anything. Thus, the price hike isn't keeping noobs from the best gear then because they don't need it to beat you.

The game has an integrated crew system, the PS4 has an integrated community system, if you are not part of some sort of community and are a frequent GTA Online player then you are doing it wrong. There is no way that the R* vision for heists was players waiting around for randoms/randoms ****ing up missions. Most people use mics too. Like I said, GTA has a major social aspect to it and if you play the game solo then it will suck.
Maybe because you are playing a character and they wanted to limit customisation so that the identity of the character wasn't lost, hardly a game-breaker.
Irrelevant. Purchasing cars has nothing to do with the social aspect of the game. All you've done is found a way around Rockstars decisions; it doesn't justify their decision.

Call this argument done since people want to get butt hurt and dictate what can be discussed in this section.

Quick question as a GTA noob.

Are there any similarities between the GTA V map and the GTA SA map? They look like 2 different cities when compared.

Well, you have a city named Los Santos and the countryside. That's about it:)
I thought that. I was trying to find similarities by holding the maps next to each other and couldn't find one. Even if I cropped the V map to the city only.

No, it hasn't. The only thing that's changed are updates like Cunning Stunts. The packs have been the same, the game has remained the same to its core.

And let me summarize what you said one last time.

The price hike is to create longevity and stops noobs from getting the best gear. If you purchase a Shark Card, it does give you advantage at the, per YOUR words, best gear.

You have changed your argument now that anyone can beat anyone with anything. Thus, the price hike isn't keeping noobs from the best gear then because they don't need it to beat you.

Irrelevant. Purchasing cars has nothing to do with the social aspect of the game. All you've done is found a way around Rockstars decisions; it doesn't justify their decision.

Call this argument done since people want to get butt hurt and dictate what can be discussed in this section.
Please don't mind my interjection here, but the GTA V is a rather old game, that makes R* little to no profit at this point. It is asinine to think that they would continuously update the game. Their focus is the online portion, the current money maker. Since it is very doubtful that GTA V was the last episode in the franchise, it's also very likely they have moved resources into development of the next story.
While it would be nice if they would cater the SP crowd a bit longer, there is no real incentive, as the game is getting old, tech is making different things an option and supporting V was likely costing more than it made.

Please don't mind my interjection here, but the GTA V is a rather old game, that makes R* little to no profit at this point. It is asinine to think that they would continuously update the game. Their focus is the online portion, the current money maker. Since it is very doubtful that GTA V was the last episode in the franchise, it's also very likely they have moved resources into development of the next story.
While it would be nice if they would cater the SP crowd a bit longer, there is no real incentive, as the game is getting old, tech is making different things an option and supporting V was likely costing more than it made.
GTA VI was confirmed I believe but they haven't released any details.

Let's be honest here, they will continue making these games forever as long as they keep selling the way they do. :P
Well of course :lol: because otherwise they are just stupid. You don't stop making something that makes you huge profits without something serious happening. :lol:

Plus GTA has a unique stake in the market. Name 1 other game like GTA. Not including SR because that is more supposed to be a different kind of setting.

Well of course :lol: because otherwise they are just stupid. You don't stop making something that makes you huge profits without something serious happening. :lol:

Plus GTA has a unique stake in the market. Name 1 other game like GTA. Not including SR because that is more supposed to be a different kind of setting.

There was Red Dead Redemption, but that's a R* game, so I'm not sure that counts. Honestly though, there just isn't another game to match GTA. I can remember going to a friends house and playing GTA for the first time on his computer. I was like 14 I think. I do remember the game explode in popularity shortly there after. I got it when it hit the PS and have played every version since.
I am not sure I can think of a game I was looking more forward to playing when GTA 3 was announced. Maybe Colony Wars 2. Tied I think. Anyway, I completely agree and look forward to R* riding this cash cow to the grave. If it ever dies. I can't think of a company that could do better job either tbh. Things might not be perfect, they never are, but they have done a hell of a job fleshing out a world, giving it character, creating great stories, and build a pretty solid engine to run it all on.

As for similarities between the two versions of the city. There are a few moments I get deja vu. The stadium and the roads I think are close to the same, excluding the freeway portion. And there are moments in the downtown area. I kinda feel like it's just that city has grown some in the past 15ish years years since the first time we visited the city.

There was Red Dead Redemption
Different time period thus different setting. Also R* own the rights to it so the money flows to the same people.

When they made GTA 3d the series really became something special.

As for the city. Yeh there are some similarities but really it's a totally different place. For example 2 of the cities in SA are missing. Chilliad is in a different place on the map also.

I was goofing off as Trevor and managed to get busted (not wasted) with a 4-star wanted level...

(I hit an LSPD van roadblock and instead of going through it, I came to a dead stop with the cop standing right at my door.)

Back