GTP & GTS EXCLUSIVE Gran Turismo 5 Retail Overview (SIXTH final Update)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,904 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amar,
thanks a lot for what you have been doing man.
Having early copies seems as much a burden as it is a pleasure right now.
But thank you for sharing a lot of this stuff instead of just playing and keeping all the fun to yourself, hehe.

I know a lot of people are asking questions and I didn't really plan to be one of those, but I noticed no one's asking about the course maker, and to me it seems that this is the single best new feature the game has brought us.

What can you tell me about it? What are the available locations for the course maker (are there 7?)? Can you make karting tracks (I know it seems obvious, but just to be sure)?

Thank you very much.
Keep up the good work man!

Last edited:
I will be bummed if its saves are copy protected...I planned on using 2 PS3's....

Apparently they are. Which is really unfortunate. Considering I'll be playing this game for the next 5 years, I'll probably go through at least one more PS3 in that time. If I lose my game save I'll probably cry. Really makes sense to allow us to save it to a couple backup places, just in case.

One more question if you please. (Poirot)

Can you transfer money, cars from GT5 prologue to GT5?

Amar,
thanks a lot for what you have been doing man.
Having early copies seems as much a burden as it is a pleasure right now.
But thank you for sharing a lot of this stuff instead of just playing and keeping all the fun to yourself, hehe.

I know a lot of people are asking questions and I didn't really plan to one of those, but I noticed no one's asking about the course maker, and to me it seems that this is the single best new feature the game has brought us.

What can you tell me about it? What are the available locations for the course maker (are there 7?)? Can you make karting tracks (I know it seems obvious, but just to be sure)?

Thank you very much.
Keep up the good work man!

👍 Good post, sir. I'm sure your gratitude and sentiments are shared by practically every self-respecting GT player in the known universe.

[Amar: I will not reveal big surprises]

Awesome.

Stand your ground, sir.:)

I'll be frank: unless you expect users to leave the forum for the next 2-3 months that's kind of pointless, anyway. By the time the majority of people will have just started playing, most big "surprises" will have been revealed all over the Internet by the many privileged ones who will have managed to get the game a few days in advance and "powerplay" GT5, so unless it's about "gimmick" features (like the car demo feature, horns, driver apparel and the like) or detailed info about game content (footage about tracks or cars that we currently don't know are in the game, or similar things), personally I'd rather know everything.

Some of such info is in fact crucial for my wheel choice. I know I'd get a clutch-equipped G27 right away if I knew that the clutch feature in GT5 is correctly implemented and integrated with mechanical damage/wear, and not just a "gimmick" or bonus/unsupported feature like in Prologue - and in addition also if there are detailed physics/driving dynamics to back up the choice. These include:

- Can the car be stalled?
- Are bad shifts harmful or have they been correctly dealt with?
- Can the clutch be burned or otherwise damaged?
- Does the clutch slipping point change with modifications or wear?
- Is it possible to choose the amount of fuel in the tank before race start?
- Is it possible to know in detail tire temperature data with the data logger, meaning not only each tire as a whole, but in separated sections? (usually in PC sims outer, middle, inner portion)
- ...or better, what exactly can the data logger do/analyze?
- Can tire inflating pressure be changed and checked?

Knowing such info in advance would for example allow me (and probably many others) to have the right wheel ready for the GT5 release day instead of inconveniently waiting for it after finding out these things myself when I'll get the game - which might be "big surprises" for many people, but I don't know what Amar thinks about this matter.

I don't know if you'll be able to answer these points, but anyway, thanks for your reporting work, Amar.

Last edited:
Hello, can some one confirm if you can toggle on/off the fixed chase cam? It just feels too weird (for me) to have it fixed to the car constantly. A reply to this post would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Very much so, and further thanks to everyone keeping spoilers offline.

I just want to remind that not everyone's happy about that. I come here for the community but ALSO to see as many new things as possible. I you think differently, no point to quote my post, keep it for yourself, we know many do not want to be spoiled.

Great work with the info...next week looks so good, American Top Gear Sunday, and all the greatness you've just described on Tuesday.

Especially nice touch making the spoilers the same color as the page background.

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELL YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! AS LONG AS THE CLUTCH WORKS I DONT CARE WHAT CAR I DRIVE :D but I gotta quick question amar does it work with standard cars aswell because you tried it with the F40 a premium car also every car in GT5P were premium?

There is really only one question i would like to ask you Amar ,and it's about the clutch(G25/G27/etc etc...)...

I ask this as an addicted timetrailer :) :

Is it still possible to have the advantage in changing gears faster than paddles by using the "clutch trick"???...

As we all know most -if not all- online TT rankings in GT5P are dominated by people who use this trick to gain time,and for the non clutch users this is an unfair disadvantage... :grumpy:

If you have the time and/or energy left :sly: could you please check this?..

Me and my fellow timetrail nutters :dopey: would be very happy if you could ... 👍👍

Keep up the good work Amar.

spy.

I would like an answer about the leaderboards on GT5.

Based on what Amar said about the licences I feel PD have missed a great opportunity. Imagine if all 10 events in the B licence had leaderboards and then you had a roll up leaderboard for all 10 events. This adds excellent replay value.

I might gripe about Forza but this is something Turn 10 nailed on FM2 and this was an abundance of leaderboards. When you have leaderboards for single player it adds replay value to the game. Now considering we want as many credits as possible to purchase the cars, if you have leaderboards for single player events you then have something to go for if you keep replaying the event for credits. Also its great challenge trying to be consistently fast for x amount of laps.

I really would like some answers about the leaderboards and online in general. This isn't GT4 and video games have changed since then which is why I want as much info as possible.

I'll be frank: unless you expect users to leave the forum for the next 2-3 months that's kind of pointless, anyway. By the time the majority of people will have just started playing, most big "surprises" will have been revealed all over the Internet by the many privileged ones who will have managed to get the game a few days in advance and "powerplay" GT5, so unless it's about "gimmick" features (like the car demo feature, horns, driver apparel and the like) or detailed info about game content (footage about tracks or cars that we currently don't know are in the game, or similar things), personally I'd rather know everything.

Some of such info is in fact crucial for my wheel choice. I know I'd get a clutch-equipped G27 right away if I knew that the clutch feature in GT5 is correctly implemented and integrated with mechanical damage/wear, and not just a "gimmick" or bonus/unsupported feature like in Prologue - and in addition also if there are detailed physics/driving dynamics to back up the choice. These include:

- Is it possible to know in detail tire temperature data with the data logger, meaning not only each tire as a whole, but in separated sections? (usually in PC sims outer, middle, inner portion)

Knowing such info in advance would for example allow me (and probably many others) to have the right wheel ready for the GT5 release day instead of inconveniently waiting for it after finding out these things myself when I'll get the game - which might be "big surprises" for many people, but I don't know what Amar thinks about this matter.

I don't know if you'll be able to answer these points, but anyway, thanks for your reporting work, Amar.

All this and then some. I was also wondering can cars stall, can the clutch be burned out. I order my G27 over the weekend and it arrived today so I'm hoping for the best. At least we know the clutch will def. work.

I don't expect the car to be able to be stalled since PD has mentioned that car makers don't want their cars to completely stop running, hence the slow crawl when you run out of gas on GT4. I suspect that even with a ton of damage your car will still at least crawl in GT5.

In my previous message I forgot an important question regarding driving physics/dynamics: brakes!
From Tekken90's copy (which we can now assume is a full retail copy) we have seen that there are no brakes in the Parts Shop menu. Can brakes be improved/upgraded in some other way in GT5?
How is brake fading simulated? Is it simulated at all? On a standard, completely stock car, does the repeated or continuous use of brakes decrease quickly their efficiency/stopping power especially on older models? It would be nice and relieving to find out that this time PD thought of this very critical aspect (neglected in all past games) of sporty driving in real life, although the lack of brake upgrades in the Parts Shop menu is somewhat worrying.

I don't expect the car to be able to be stalled since PD has mentioned that car makers don't want their cars to completely stop running, hence the slow crawl when you run out of gas on GT4. I suspect that even with a ton of damage your car will still at least crawl in GT5.

In such cases I'd expect the car to start up again by itself. Stalling the engine would cause a loss of time anyway.
Rollovers are managed about in the same way.

They can't do a hood cam and even hide the hud, wich is dumb since you can do it in replays so it's already IN the game, yet you expect them to do a proper clutch simulation? Amar said it was like in Prologue, the G27 will most likely be like G25, you should slow down and come bak to reality here.

Is the clutch progressive clutch allowing slip or ON/OFF?

ON and OFF, its not fully supported yet, its just like in Prologue. 👎
But at least its better then not having one.

I know I always switch to Paddle Shifters, fast, reliable, never miss shifts.

They can't do a hood cam and even hide the hud, wich is dumb since you can do it in replays so it's already IN the game, yet you expect them to do a proper clutch simulation? Amar said it was like in Prologue, the G27 will most likely be like G25, you should slow down and come bak to reality here.

And that's what I don't get.. you would think that getting something as important to driving as the clutch would be near the top on their list of things to prefect.

ON and OFF, its not fully supported yet, its just like in Prologue. 👎
But at least its better then not having one.

I know I always switch to Paddle Shifters, fast, reliable, never miss shifts.

Wrong.. There is a friction point in GT5p.

EDIT- I'm not going to clog up this thread with more posts about the clutch.

EDIT--
Don't you have to mod your shifter to do the clutch cheat? I just got my G27 today so I'm not sure.

Yes, as far as I can tell.

And that's what I don't get.. you would think that getting something as important to driving as the clutch would be near the top on their list of things to prefect.

Most people don't have a rig with a clutch, most people don't even have a wheel, this will affect too few people to be worth the investment.

They can't do a hood cam
There's the "bumper" cam which is already at the driver's head level. In some ways it's more realistic than a "hood" cam. More than a hood cam I'd rather see the black cockpits from GTPSP instead.

and even hide the hud, wich is dumb since you can do it in replays so it's already IN the game,
This has probably to do with the fact that not all cars have cockpits, and that those that do have them, often only display basic data (speed, rpm) or aren't very readable.

yet you expect them to do a proper clutch simulation? Amar said it was like in Prologue, the G27 will most likely be like G25, you should slow down and come bak to reality here.
He wrote that it is toggled like in Prologue, he didn't write in detail how it works in GT5, which might require some time to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back