GTP_Race Event 03 - Discussion Thread

• Thread starter EDK
  • 603 comments
All I can say is WOW...there are some unbelievable matchups
up and down the pairings.

Great job Kevin 👍 as well as all the other race moderators, Sjaak, Vaxen, Grim and Jack.

This is going to be epic :cheers:

Makes me wish GT5P had a spectator mode, so I could watch some of these matchups.

Last edited:
You're not wrong cpp214! Great job Kevin.👍

Interesting format, round robin.:) Tough first match for me against Hyperspeed.:crazy: Never raced him, but he looks scary from what i've seen.:nervous:

Wow, all I can say to Kevin is ... :bowdown: Great combo, AND I get to drive the car that helped me survived most S-events: the tuned Corvette :cool:

The only thing I don't see is the 'alloted date and time frame' - when are we supposed to have raced our first race, and when will the other pairings of round one be published?

Sorry to be a total n00b if I overlooked something.

To Carl: spectator mode could be realised by knowing when races will take place, and joining in that race to watch, which happened a few times during event 02, especially in the final rounds.

Looking forward to race with Bigracer:cheers:
Great job!!!

Last edited:
I love you all for the choice of event, I'm in heaven.:D Z06/Tuned at Suzuka 750 PP, doesn't get any better.:D I look forward to racing my fellow racers, I don't expect to move past my group.:lol: I also see ASH32 is in my group, good luck buddy.👍

This looks great! I hope round 2 looks as good as this. Just incase, I'll tune both.:)

No no no. I want to drive the NSX round Fuji instead beacuse that seems to be the only car/track combo I can manage to get something even approaching the semblance of speed out of right now.

Great job Kevin et al. (Seriously.)

Edit: I might have to break out my old wheel again and see if I can shave off some three or four seconds per lap. That's how much slower I am in this event.

Last edited:
Excellent format, well done to the moderators :cheers:

Did GTP_mr_geez not submit an entry to the competition? :(

I love the combo as well, it's undoubtedly what most of us have been thrashing for the last few days.

No pitstop this time then, cool , game on and good luck to all the participants!! :cheers:

All the best
Maz

Anyone wants to be our steward.
Time:
Wednesday about 20:30 GMT(21:30 GMT +1)

Awesome format! Big 👍 to all the moderators for their excellent work :cheers:

I'm really looking forward to the races! :D

No no no. I want to drive the NSX round Fuji instead beacuse that seems to be the only car/track combo I can manage to get something even approaching the semblance of speed out of right now.

Great job Kevin et al. (Seriously.)

Edit: I might have to break out my old wheel again and see if I can shave off some three or four seconds per lap. That's how much slower I am in this event.

Go and sympathise with ASH32 :sly:, he's still kind of new to the wheel and struggles with the faster cars, so he has some practice to do.;)

Did I mention how awesome this race is?:D

Good job :)

Can I ask who is OFFLINE [--]? I've raced with this guy countless amounts of times Online lol,

Anyways Duke we shall arrange a race :)

Good job :)

Can I ask who is OFFLINE [--]? I've raced with this guy countless amounts of times Online lol,

Anyways Duke we shall arrange a race :)

It's anyone, a glitch when any given player doesn't quite connect properly or something so their own name doesn't show up. I suspect that picture actually has the names photo-shopped in, and they used it for that reason, because it could represent any online player.

The only thing I don't see is the 'alloted date and time frame' - when are we supposed to have raced our first race, and when will the other pairings of round one be published?

Sorry to be a total n00b if I overlooked something.

Steven - These are the pairings. for the first week, and need to be completed by next Monday, June 8th. The deadline is shown in this thread, under the heading, "Time Frame."

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116982

The races with other memebers of your group will take place on other weeks. I hope to have a complete schedule for this first stage published later this week.

GTP_MatejH v GTP_Bigracer

Offical race start time:
Sunday 7th June
9:10 AM GMT+2(Croatian and Holland)

Looks like you two have to get up early on sunday :lol:

... and since his fastest laptime is currently a staggering 6 seconds faster than mine (d3g vs. d4b) I have loads of practice to do until Sunday :scared: but still :) :) :)

I love the 10 lap format, really gets the adrenaline pumping.👍

Looks like you two have to get up early on sunday :lol:

Please reply to my PMs ASAP.

Edit 2: All good, contact achieved, now the difficulty of arranging a race time we can both attend.:lol:

Last edited:
How does everyone in the tournament and the mods feel about running a concurrent hotlap competition for every Round's particular combo, replays having to be provided etc, and then letting the fastest driver in each round get another chance if they are knocked out...or maybe allow the fastest lap winner to nominate a driver who can stay in the tournament?

Or would that just mess with the organisation of the event too much?

All the best
Maz

How does everyone in the tournament and the mods feel about running a concurrent hotlap competition for every Round's particular combo, replays having to be provided etc, and then letting the fastest driver in each round get another chance if they are knocked out...or maybe allow the fastest lap winner to nominate a driver who can stay in the tournament?

All the best
Maz

Lets just stick to the racing 👍

All the best
Maz

There might be something on those lines in the works. ;)

Event 03 Week 1
NTSC Group 1
GTP_ Sedubius v GTP_Im_Sorry
Corvette ?? (see below) v Corvette Z06 / Tuned

I won the race but it was a hollow victory.

We ran 2 races.
During the first one he had trouble at the start but soon passed me in the esses because it seems the there is less grip in the race than free run. I had just run some laps in free run because I wanted to test the R1s. I could not handle the S3s. After a couple of laps I think he went wide at the first corner so I go close. He then when off in a big way at the hairpin. I think I lead the rest of the way. After the race we agreed to a rematch.

During this race we traded the lead a few times. Each of us would make a mistake while in the lead and the other would pass. I think Craig lost the lead for the last time at Degner. He seemed to try to avoid getting back on the racing line while recovering which allowed me to pass easily. After a while I built up enough of a lead that he could not catch me when I made the occasional mistake, including getting sideways in the last corner on the last lap.

After this second race he asked if we were allowed to use the Tuned version. I hadn't noticed before, but he did not use the Tuned version. I double checked the rules to make sure. Since I felt the Tuned version gave me an advantage I offered to race again but he declined. He said it was his fault for not paying close enough attention to the rules.

I don't know if I will be able to race against him again in this event, but I am looking forward to racing him again on our own.

GTP_ Sedubius v GTP_Im_Sorry

Congratulations and commiserations to you both, sounds like it was an eventful race, I admire anyone who have the sportsmanship not to come back onto the racing line, until they are up to full speed, well done that man, I think you should be quiet proud to have raced such a sportsman.

I can understand, GTP_ Sedubius declining to rerun again as I would do the exact same thing, it’s the type of mistake I’m likely to make as well.

Nice write up, looks like it was very close most of the time.

Thanks for the writeup, Peter. And well done, guys. 👍

More news from me.

I had a couple of late entrants (Sent to me on Tuesday) in Division 2 that I'm going to allow into the event. Mainly because GTP_Tzayad was on vacation during the week of signups.

This will allow 4 groups of 6 racers in D2, evening things out.
FLASH48 requested the bye for this week, so GTP_Tzayad will also have a bye, and we'll make that race up later.

GTP_JvM has been paired for this week, with GTP_TheDoctor46.

Welcome to the event, GTP_JvM and GTP_Tzayad.

:cheers:
Kevin

Nice one boys, we just boosted the T&L numbers in Event03 very nicely indeed, and many thanks to kevin for being so willing to expand the competition with the entry of two drivers of the absolute highest quality 👍

All the best
Maz

GTP_MJH vs GTP_Cohiba100

After a few disconnect we finally managed to hook up. MJH took the lead and started off at a pace that I could not follow. After a lap or so I managed to get a grip on myself and clawed him back so that I could take the lead going into lap 4. Held it for a few laps with Matt hot on my heels. On lap 8 (I think) he was a bit to hot and gently put me in the sand in the hairpin. No worries whatsoever since he waited until I could rejoin. I hung back and placed myself behind him since I had noticed I had better straight line speed. My plan was to draft down the back straight on lap 10. It backfired however when I made a mistake in the hairpin on that very lap and lost 2 seconds. Matt however came up to a Clio in the final chicane and was hindered a bit while I got quite good traction out of it so it was a drag race to the line. When passing it I honestly though that I had taken it. The results board showed that the winner, by 18/1000 of a second was: GTP_MJH

Matt offered to re-race due to the incident in the hairpin but I declined and said I had no complaints.

A good and honest race that could have gone either way but with a well deserved winner

Edit: Just to expand a bit on how I saw the hairpin incident. We were more or less coming side by side with me maybe half a carlength ahead and on the left side of the track through the very slight right hinder just before the braking point for the hairpin. When I braked the almost nonexistent contact coupled with the weightshift was enough to spin me out. Had we not been in that exact point with a turn and brake at the same time nothing would have happened. GTP_MJH did not deliberately try to muscle his way through and at any other point on the track the only result of this incident would have been some paint swapping.

Last edited:
Congratulations to both of you for your sporting attitude. Had the pleasure of racing both of you in Event 02, must have been a good one 👍

Well done Matt :cheers:

All the best
Maz

Back