GTP_WRS-Online : General Discussion

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 777 comments
Today I had a hour-long play session of Realm Of The Mad God (free to play mix of CoD and MMORPG games, avaibale at Steam; cool game BTW), with the game's window at one side of the screen, and Windows command line checking pings for the malfunctioning AP on another. It was at noon, and I was the only one using the connection - I didn't know that then, so I was surprised with the ping consistency and no freezes. But after some time everything changed back to "normal" state. After the first thought about the possible reason, I checked my Facebook if my friend from the other family is logged on it right now. He was. At one moment I had one more freeze - that was him posting a link on his wall. And everything was now clear for me.

The AP is not capable of sending two or more independent data streams. That means if somebody would load even the smallest webpage, AP has to stop one stream to let another go. And there's no way to change that. So my choice is now limited to afford a separate connection (possible in theory), or to ask every single network user to stop his internet activity when I am playing (Should I even mention it's pretty impossible?).

I still could participate in NA races (which took place at night), but usually I have school the next day after the event, so staying up late is not always a good idea for me.

But the possibility of me participating in events lag-less (of course if my diagnosis is correct) exists, so I'm partially satisfied 👍

Last edited:
Some of you guys might have overheard my 8 year old son playing piano when the sound comes over my mic while we race/practice. Thought you guys might enjoy this...

[YouTube]VfHev7iA2Eg[/Youtube]

Theme music for the next highlights video? :lol:

I actually heard it last night and was going to mention it but someone was talking and I forgot. He's good, maybe he should play the entire 2.4 hours for entertainment in the A lobby Sunday.:sly:

Wow, wish I had started at that age, maybe I would be half decent at it today. And I really envy you for having a (baby?) grand piano in your house... My girlfriend and I dream of having one some day!

Wow, wish I had started at that age, maybe I would be half decent at it today. And I really envy you for having a (baby?) grand piano in your house... My girlfriend and I dream of having one some day!

:lol: Not my house. The video was shot during a recital at the instructors house. My wife is angling for a piano, but we only have a keyboard at the moment. It's hard for me to complain about the space a piano takes up when I've got my racing rig as a permanent feature in the house. :dopey:

Last edited:
This is my connection and I am DMZ hard wired between my PS3 and my D-Link DI 524.

1849896199.png

Am I supposed to be OK? I usualy do not have to many issues.

Your ping is good, which I guess is pretty positive - the amount of data (in terms of physical size) sent backwards and forward is really not that much (if it was, online play just wouldn't work) so you're probably ok, but you'll want to hog the entire downstream speed to race - otherwise you might have issues.

Mine looks like this....

My download ought to be up nearer to 14mbps, need to get onto Sky really. They tell me that my line supports 14-16 but then give me nowhere near it. :\

Those uploads speeds are probably acceptable for most rooms, but near minimum as the room size approached 12-16 (and more of an issue with mics-enabled even if you don't use one). With peer-to-peer you are uploading your data to all users at the same time. Not sure exactly if that means N times the data or if there is some way they optimize/manage that, but the upload requirement goes up with every new driver in the lounge.

With fixed host public lobbies you only upload to the host, which reduces the requirements significantly, but we don't use that setup for our races because if the host DC's the entire room crashes. Plus the host better have *fast* internet because the load on his connection is pretty large.

If you add voice on top of that it's heavier. Add too many drivers and you start seeing invisible driver issues at times because it just can't keep those individual peer streams alive and consistent. Lefty had that problem. Dedicated servers like iracing would fix it, but not available for GT5. You'd also get invisible driver from router incompatibility, but there are more than one cause. I'm theorizing that GT tried to create a stream between each driver and if one fails it'll keep you in room, but that driver doesn't exist for you. You can disconnect and come back and maybe that connection will work. If routers are incompatible they almost never come back unless you change config, but if it's just traffic/timeout then sometimes rejoining will fix.

You think yours is bad millross check out my rubbish internet connection, Maximum in my aera bah :(

1850001493.png

My ray of light is im moving home soon and will be able to get fiberoptics from Virgin Yayyyyy!!!!!

Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't realise there would be no host - I play a fair bit of GoW3, where a host is chosen and it's not peer-to-peer but more client-server. This presumably means that instead of uploading to everyone I'm uploading to Mr/Mrs Host to blast over to everyone else.

I can see the resilience benefits in having a full peer-to-peer - I think us ADSL bods in the UK who have pants upload speed have to rely on our 'reasonable' ping time to "keep up".

Will have to see how it goes I guess - I'd like to know how the support races go in terms of sub-1mb uploaders and how their experience was with a big lobby. I personally feel that as long as the connection is solely in use by GT5, with a low pingtime it will not be a big issue as the data being sent is very optimal and small in size - just lots of it/constant. Nobody in my house will be using my connection the night of the race, fortunately :D

Matt

At best, my internet speed is 2.20 mbps with a .75 upload. I have my PS3 DMZ'd as well. Normally have a ping of 25ms. I guess 2004 Verizon DSL isn't so bad. :scared:

I've had very few issues with GT5 online and it's mostly been caused by other's connections.

But... my question, of which I've come here to ask.

What's the typical length of these races? I'm use to doing races that are 20-50 minutes casually with some friends.

This is more of an interest check than anything else.

Our normal target is 45-60 minutes depending on the combo. Every once in a while we'll do one longer or we'll do 3x15-20 minute sprints to break it up. Also depending on the week we may have a 15 minute qualification session or just use the WRS-TT to set the order.

I'm also looking forward to racing you guys 👍

Wes, when are you next up? :D

I'm also looking forward to racing you guys 👍

Wes, when are you next up? :D
Up where Dion? I don't think I''m up anywhere anytime soon...
Also looking forward to racing with you.👍

Done. That took no time at all.

Just have to be verified.

I sent you the PSN friend requests from the 3D3 lounges. Accept those and you'll be ready to go. Now just use the form for any of our events and your registration is automated.

:lol:

Australian slang for when are you racing next! :lol:
Oh.:lol::dopey:
I'm racing on the ocasional wednesday EU race with my controller but will be back racing every week when I get a new wheel.

Oh.:lol::dopey:
I'm racing on the ocasional wednesday EU race with my controller but will be back racing every week when I get a new wheel.

You could fill a junkyard with the amount of wheels you've gone through!

Hey guys. My current PSN ID does not have GTP_ as a prefix. How do I create a new PSN ID? And if I do, will I lose my GT5 game progress or trophy progress by getting the new ID?

Hey guys. My current PSN ID does not have GTP_ as a prefix. How do I create a new PSN ID? And if I do, will I lose my GT5 game progress or trophy progress by getting the new ID?

All the info you need is in this thread:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=235296

You won't lose your current GT5 save, as you will need to create a new ID to participate in the series (it also allows you entry into the WRS time trial series - offline hot lapping).
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117

Feel free to post questions if you need some clarification 👍

My current PSN ID is tizocspeed. Do I need to create a new ID, for example : GTP_tizocspeed8? But with the new ID will I have to start the game over, i.e. is my game and trophy data specific to my original tizocspeed ID?

Yes, you must use a GTP_account to participate in WRS events and you will have to start over. Your saves and trophies are locked to the PSN ID you used for that game. Obviously your original ID and save will be there for you to play under that game, but it can't be used for your new GTP_account. It's easy to level up and get money for your new account quickly if you share some cars from your original and do Seasonal Time Trials and events.

Back