GTP_WRS Pit Box : Want to chat? - Need help? Post here.

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 2,684 comments
Hi.

Within the next few weeks, I am going to get me a copy of GT5 Prologue, a wheel, and GT4 (just in case the WRS is still using GT4).

It's been 4 years since I have been active in GT.

How you all doing?

Hi.

Within the next few weeks, I am going to get me a copy of GT5 Prologue, a wheel, and GT4 (just in case the WRS is still using GT4).

It's been 4 years since I have been active in GT.

How you all doing?

We no longer use GT4 in WRS. You can see this week's race in the forum.

Going to merge this into the chit chat thread.

Sorry for this being in the wrong section but its the section I'd most like to take part in (Weekly Time Trials R8).

Am quite new to GTPlanet (brand new to the forum) and just seen the weekly leaderboard and time trials you guys run and I am really interested in joining this.

There are a few questions I'd like to ask though.

1. Everyone seems to have GTP_*** before their username, do I have to make a new PSN account with this tag? And if so do I need to change my account details of the original PSN username I put in to access this forum?

2. I'm not too savvy on racing terms even though I do like racing cars online :P Is there anychance someone could MSN me and walk me through a bit of etiquette and terminology in GTP. I'm 35 so hopefully someone in the same age group could do this, and I'm a fast typer so you won't be hanging around.

3. I see that in the leaderboards there are divisions. How do I qualify for this. I'm around the average to under average mark and have never tried Pro physics until the new GT Academy demo come out and forced me to. At mo I'm pulling in mid 1'37's in the tuned car. But I'm loving the Pro physics now.

Any help asap would be mucho appreciated as I'm itching to get cracking at some times.

Regards

Rod

Sorry for this being in the wrong section but its the section I'd most like to take part in (Weekly Time Trials R8).

Am quite new to GTPlanet (brand new to the forum) and just seen the weekly leaderboard and time trials you guys run and I am really interested in joining this.

There are a few questions I'd like to ask though.

1. Everyone seems to have GTP_*** before their username, do I have to make a new PSN account with this tag? And if so do I need to change my account details of the original PSN username I put in to access this forum?

2. I'm not too savvy on racing terms even though I do like racing cars online :P Is there anychance someone could MSN me and walk me through a bit of etiquette and terminology in GTP. I'm 35 so hopefully someone in the same age group could do this, and I'm a fast typer so you won't be hanging around.

3. I see that in the leaderboards there are divisions. How do I qualify for this. I'm around the average to under average mark and have never tried Pro physics until the new GT Academy demo come out and forced me to. At mo I'm pulling in mid 1'37's in the tuned car. But I'm loving the Pro physics now.

Any help asap would be mucho appreciated as I'm itching to get cracking at some times.

Regards

Rod

Welcome to GTPlanet. 👍

I've approved your first post, and moved it into this thread. Most of the answers to your questions can be found in 2 places -

To join the GTP_Registry, go here and follow the instructions -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115424

As far as particular etiquette, we have our own OLR Rules and Guidelines, those can be found here -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111241

For the weekly race series, specific rules, along with the standard, clean OLR rules are posted in the thread each week.

This week's race is to be run while offline, so that you do not show up on the PSN leaderboard. Feel free to get a start on it now, even before you're assigned a division. If that process is not complete before the deadline you can still submit.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

:cheers:
Kevin

I believe that if you want to see your PS3 replays on your PC, you need to have a TV card in your PC where you can directly link your console to.
Guys like Ron (Mr_P) and Dan (MarkWebber) regularly post their replays in video format in the WRS threads, so perhaps you can ask them directly.

Good luck 👍

Oh right.
So when people post replays in the WRS for verification, they literally copy the save file from the PS3, then people transfer it to theirs and watch it through GTPrologue?

That would make sense.

Thanks for the tip anyway Steven. I only have a craptop :(

Oh right.
So when people post replays in the WRS for verification, they literally copy the save file from the PS3, then people transfer it to theirs and watch it through GTPrologue?

That would make sense.

Thanks for the tip anyway Steven. I only have a craptop :(

Yes, we require that people post the replay file, so it can be watched by other drivers, on the PS3. We've had past issues in the WRS with videos used as verification. They are a nice addition, from some of our fastest drivers, so that drivers who own other game formats can still view their driving lines, speed, braking points, etc.

As steven mentions, a video capture card can be used. You can also just take a video of your TV screen, while watching the replay, using a digital camera. Not as professional, but does not require the same resources.

Hope that helps. 👍

Have you ever noticed that different people's replay files are always different sizes? Do you think it would have anything to do with how smooth the driver is? By that I mean, if the driver is really wrestling the car the replay would have more driver animations and vehicle simulations to incorporate making the file larger. Or is it something nominal?

I'm no tech or anything but I would imagine tire squeal and smoke would add to the size along with other factors, some you mention.

Could format have something to do with it as well?

I never put any thought into it before.

It's a good question, and I'm not clever enough to know the answer.
However, I do know it's a bunch 1's and 0's.
I would guess that input magnitude would be the same size whether it's, for example, a large steering input or a small one.
I think the number of inputs would change the size though.

This would be interesting: Go do a lap, wrs 66 config, and go 30 mph all the way round. That can be done with no brake inputs, and very minimal throttle inputs. Then see what the file size is.

Or some clever geek could just tell us the answer :lol:

The biggest file in the replay folder is the png file..the preview image we see if we select it in the XMB which will vary greatly on the image saved..that's the major cause for file size differences.. the main replay file "replay.dat" only differs by a few bytes and it's also a compressed file i.e if you view the list of files in winrar you'll notice that the 'Size' & 'Packed' values are the same because it can't be compressed anymore.

I have 5 ghost replays of The Lancer around Suzuka, 4 have the same preview image and are 152kb in size, the other have a different preview image and is 163kb

What iCyCo said, plus the fact that the replay images are almost randomly generated.

For the WRS leaderboard we save all the replays in the database. I tried to reduce the database size by saving the unique replay images only. As all the drivers of a week drive the same track with the same car I thought every image would be the same. But I found out that only in 5% of the replays this was the case.

Take a look at these for example; http://wrs.gtplanet.net/replay/581/ and http://wrs.gtplanet.net/replay/586/. Both from the same week, but totally different.

About the saving of the replays, I don't think sony saves all the tiresquell etc, this would take way too much data, besides, it's not needed and totally redundant.

I'd just save the input at a specific time, that way you can re-simulate everything. The only thing you need is the inputs. So: "frame1: throttle: 75%, brake: 0%, steering: 35degrees", "frame2: ...". That way you can even skip frames that have the same input to save space. You can save it per time unit, or per frame but the idea is the same.

But it's clear that the size of a replay (minus the image) of someone who drives around in 1:00:00 is smaller than of a 1:30:00 lap.

What iCyCo said, plus the fact that the replay images are almost randomly generated.

For the WRS leaderboard we save all the replays in the database. I tried to reduce the database size by saving the unique replay images only. As all the drivers of a week drive the same track with the same car I thought every image would be the same. But I found out that only in 5% of the replays this was the case.

Take a look at these for example; http://wrs.gtplanet.net/replay/581/ and http://wrs.gtplanet.net/replay/586/. Both from the same week, but totally different.

About the saving of the replays, I don't think sony saves all the tiresquell etc, this would take way too much data, besides, it's not needed and totally redundant.

I'd just save the input at a specific time, that way you can re-simulate everything. The only thing you need is the inputs. So: "frame1: throttle: 75%, brake: 0%, steering: 35degrees", "frame2: ...". That way you can even skip frames that have the same input to save space. You can save it per time unit, or per frame but the idea is the same.

But it's clear that the size of a replay (minus the image) of someone who drives around in 1:00:00 is smaller than of a 1:30:00 lap.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way I'm going to beat Dan Holland at one of these WRS events is to understand the format of the replay.dat and hand code my own to beat his time. I'll get back to you once I've figured all that out. :sly:

I've come to the conclusion that the only way I'm going to beat Dan Holland at one of these WRS events is to understand the format of the replay.dat and hand code my own to beat his time. I'll get back to you once I've figured all that out. :sly:

Well you got a couple of years to work on it before GT5 :lol:

I dont know if this is the place to post this, but I am having trouble logging in to the GTP_Registry forum. I dont think the password I was given works. Can anyone help me?

I dont know if this is the place to post this, but I am having trouble logging in to the GTP_Registry forum. I dont think the password I was given works. Can anyone help me?

This area will do just fine. :)

I've sent you a PM. 👍

So I just bought myself NFS Shift today because I get sort of bored with Prologue and it'll take till after summer before GT5 will hit the shops.
This'll mean that I will spend less time on Prologue and more on another game. It will NOT mean I'll be less online and available in GTP.

So I just bought myself NFS Shift today
I have a feeling you will be looking for the steering settings for the game, Steven.

The game has it's moments and some really great tracks.
I prefer to just pick a track and drive around versus the bashing they want you to get points for.
Spa and Road America are usually the tracks and those BTCC and DTM tracks.

Have fun with it. :)

Back