GTPlanet's 2017 Racing Game Predictions

I have to agree with the viewpoint expressed in the article in regards to visuals. Although Forza 7 (especially on the X1X and PC) is going to be a fantastic looking (and running... locked 60fps) title, GTSport has a more realistic style that GT games have always gone for. I will say though that I don't believe it's a lock... pCars2 on PC will be a beautiful looking title. Plus add 4K@60fps and Ultra settings and I believe it could best GTS on the Pro... well I will own all three games so I will eventually be able to make the call myself!

Pcars 1 was bad for me on ps4... Very glitchy...i wiil wait for reviews this time. GT SPORT is the winner in lightning departament and rendered cars accuracy (but no damage and. No real time transition)...sounds allready improved. But...Is gran turismo... My initial choice....pcars... Maybe in december.

Nice article guys, putting your balls on the line there :)

As a PS4 owner, GTS for me all day. I like what I see so far.

PCars turns me off a bit, they seem a bit elitist and the first game burned me. I have a wheel but I also need to know I can use a controller too. And the lack of any information on car settings/tuning annoyed me a bit. It was a kind of 'oh, you don't know what this means? Well this game isn't for you' impression. Screw that.

Forza looks amazing though, if I had an Xbox I'd be very happy with how that's looking.

Will be interesting to see the official GTP reviews of these games!

PCars turns me off a bit, they seem a bit elitist and the first game burned me. I have a wheel but I also need to know I can use a controller too. And the lack of any information on car settings/tuning annoyed me a bit. It was a kind of 'oh, you don't know what this means? Well this game isn't for you' impression. Screw that.
I think they have addressed these problems. IIRC some people have tested the game using controllers and it was much better than the first game. Also, with the new Race Engineer feature, people who don't know how to use all of the tuning settings (AKA myself) will have some help.

I think they have addressed these problems. IIRC some people have tested the game using controllers and it was much better than the first game. Also, with the new Race Engineer feature, people who don't know how to use all of the tuning settings (AKA myself) will have some help.
Only thing now is to wait to see how it actually plays, come release. That's the one thing I'm holding out on.

True of all the games, in varying degrees.

As an aside, really got into online racing with DC, can't wait for GTS in this regard, and I never played GT5 or GT6 online.
Specifically talking about issues that plagued PC1, like framerates, optimization and what not, it's the biggest offender in my opinion. Forza is not a worry to me, as they buckle down on that front, sometimes to a fault. GT also has it's issues in that regard, but how bad PCars1 was almost makes it a non issue in comparison.

I will start with PCars 2 this month on PS4 Pro, followed by GT Sport in late October. I will wait for Forza 7 till i buy an Xbox One X. Should be a great christmas gift to myself. I just want to take my time with every title, they are released a bit too close to each other.

My money is on PCars 2 being the best game or at least the best sim. But for some reason i want Forza 7 the most.

Forza 7 and GT Sport are instant buys at my place, will think over PC2 after reviews and other players give their thoughts on it. Had the first while it was fun in some aspects it was downright annoying in others, ambitious game though really respect their effort but my patience was thin with so many games around to play at the time. Hopefully PC2 corrects the originals faults and creates its own niche and becomes a thorn in the sides of both GT and Forza games. That way we get more ambitious responses from developers of each game to push it harder but not make it impossible for the everyday man to play it. If you can't get the masses to like your game, you'll have a hard time going forward. Still a business regardless of how hardcore some folks like to think driving sims are supposed to be, not enough sales means reduced funding for the next project. Getting the balance right is what each of these developers are struggling to accomplish still.

I was able to sample all 3 at PAX yesterday. Here are a few thoughts.

Project Cars 2 was set up in the Bandai -Namco area with 2 Playseat driving rigs and 3 controller stations. The wait for the wheels was too long, so I went with the controller. The stations were set up with 3 scenarios - a Ferrari road car (I forget the model) on the Nurbergring GP course, Porsche GT3 in the rain at Red Bull Ring, and FR3.5 at COTA National, which is the one I tried.

I had an enjoyable experience. They had the transmission set to auto, but the handling felt "right". Not too hard, but it took me a lap or two to get used to it. The AI was good and did a fine job avoiding me when I made mistakes.

I played twice, finishing 14th the first time, but improved to 2nd the next. Using a PS4 controller, the response was good. I only wish there was an Xbox controller to sample as well since that's the system I have my preorder with.

Next is Forza 7. Nothing too unexpected here. I drove the new Porsche 3 laps around the mountainous Dubai circuit we've seen in videos. Other options were a Radical and Nissan GTR (with other scenarios that i didn't note). There were no wheel stations, only controllers.

Control is exactly what you'd expect from a Forza game. The AI cars were really crashing into each more than expected. Visually, there was one section where sand blew across the track and it looked absolutely fabulous.

Unlike Forza 7, GT Sport was all wheels and not controllers. I wouldn't mind having one of these at home.

20170904_134653.jpg

This one is hard for me to provide feedback since I actually drove the VR version, which only had 1 AI opponent around the Willow Springs short course.

Visually stunning in VR and on regular monitors as a spectator. The AI seemed to be similar to what I saw in the beta this spring - polite and will not intentionally hit you.

Based on my experience yesterday, I'd rate these as:

Project Cars 2 - 1st
Forza Motorsport 7 - 2nd
Gran Turismo Sport - Incomplete

Last edited:
Based on FM5 and FM6 I don't expect FM7's physics/handling to be suitable for me. All those cars are almost meaningless when they aren't very much more than cosmetic shells over a tame and numb physics model that is biased to understeer on corner entry and employs divine intervention on oversteer recovery. Accessibility isn't necessarily an issue, but the manner in which Forza concedes to accessibility sucks the enjoyment out of it.

It would be nifty to be proven wrong this time, but it's too late since I got a PS4 instead of an XBone. Also, I'm surprised to see FM7 is still somehow biased toward circuits I don't find very appealing, particularly with Forza's physics. I guess Turn 10 and I just aren't on the same page with regard to tracks. :confused:

I had been loosely paying attention to Gran Turismo Sport despite getting turned all the way off from the series after the debacle that was GT4 and lack of improvement in GT5...but the online focus and lingering question marks when it comes to physics leave me with low expectations. I'll see what people here have to say about it and maybe consider it for a reduced price because it's still kind of unique. There's nothing like Gran Turismo.

The only one I'm anticipating is PCARS2. Between its outstanding selection of tracks, outstanding feature set, simulated details, and singleplayer content, PCARS2 promises a deeper and more rewarding experience than Forza and has more meat on its bones than the likes of Assetto Corsa or PC sims. I'm just crossing my fingers that the physics will be satisfyingly intuitive even if they're not necessarily on the cutting edge of authenticity. PCARS1 had some intrusive and pretty serious flaws in that area but was still promising enough.

The Metacritic graph in the article is an interesting visual reference, because while I would agree that GT and Forza have been on a decline, I would rate my experience with the patched GOTY edition of PCARS1 above GT4/GT5 and every one of the Forza Motorsport games (just not FH1). Meanwhile, Shift 2 Unleashed was your garden-variety troubled racing game destined for the bargain bin. So if PCARS2 is even half as much of an improvement over its predecessor as PCARS1 was over S2U, I expect it to turn out very, very well.

I'm not so convinced, coming from previous titles.

They all seem to have addressed fan concerns in fundamental ways though. I'd say it looks promising for all three, given what I've seen.

For me though, for overall polish and graphical prowess, and for catering for everyone who may want to buy the game, GTS is the best option.

They all seem to have addressed fan concerns in fundamental ways though. I'd say it looks promising for all three, given what I've seen.

For me though, for overall polish and graphical prowess, and for catering for everyone who may want to buy the game, GTS is the best option.
I'm not sure Forza has done that at all, they just seem to have improved graphical fidelity. Where is qualifying? or a flag system?

In terms of physics, force feedback and on track driving experience, i know Pcars will be the best of the bunch.

Time to compare the state of racing sims in 2017 to the First Person Shooter genre of all things. This is gonna be the best analogy ever so hold onto your hats...

Gran Turismo is obviously Call of Duty. It's what made the genre popular and profitable. It's easy to pick up, play and have a good time with friends. It's the original which made the genre what it is today. However, ever since CoD4 GT4 the series has been on a downwards critical spiral and the common phrases being thrown around are "not enough change" or "no improvement". The series' developers Polyphony Digital have noticed this and have decided to take the series in a radical new direction. With the introduction of advanced movement(exosuits) an online e-sports focus, many old fans have been completely alienated. Will this new direction return GT to the top of relevancy, or is it an outdated fossil relegated to the fond memories of the PS2? All we know is that the brand name is enough to carry it for now.

Forza is Battlefield. The success of CoD Gran Turismo inspired many other developers to copy the formula throw their hats into the ring. While initially the more obscure option, like Bad Company was to Modern Warfare, Forza made a name for itself as X-Box's own premiere racing game. Only recently screwing up with Battlefield 4 Forza 5 on launch, the series has become a multi-million dollar franchise and it's most recent games Battlefield 1 have become critical and commercial successes. Winning numerous awards and raking in the dough for EA Microsoft. What will the future hold for this juggernaut of a franchise?

Do you believe the hype? Titanfall Project Cars is the new kid on the block trying to carve a name for itself with two industry titans looming over. With a first game that was decent but had many problems, the second game is promising to fix the issues of the first. Will the new franchise kill Gran Turismo or Forza and take the crown as the most popular racing game on modern consoles? If we learned anything from Titanfall 2, probably not. Project Cars 2 will probably get rave reviews from critics but ultimately have a smaller playerbase than both Gran Turismo and Forza (just like Titanfall 2!). Ultimately this game will probably be the "sleeper hit" of this race.

Assetto Corsa? That game's probably Insurgency or something like that.

Tell me how I did with this analogy! I was surprised with the similarities but if I got something wrong point it out please.

Edit:

Oh yeah, I suppose for me it's
GT Sport - day 1, (played the beta and was impressed by online racing)
Project Cars 2 - will wait for reviews (only a buy if controllers are fixed and on-par with GT)
I won't buy Forza 7. (don't own an X-box and my computer is a potato)

Last edited:
Pcars 1 wasn't perfect, but after 6 updates it improved a lot and i keep playing online racing leagues on it..

Pcars 2 limited edition + season pass is must buy on day one..
Happy to see online rating system included and more than 60 tracks.
Offline career is also a great plus for me.
FFB,and physics seems quite improved also! Great that they learned from their mistakes in the first game.

GT Sport will stay in the store for me.
First GT that i don't gonna buy...
I've played the GT Sport beta and it didn't convince me at all..
Also good lack of offline content, not a lot of tracks and most of them fictional..
And GT Vision program personally don't like it either...
Also expected better physics and damage model than the showed.
And "the hand of God" aid was a big down for me...

Forza Motorsport 7 seems a good game, but i don't have an Xbox or a PC that will run it,so obviously don't gonna get it!

• GTS is probably going to romp home victorious in the sales war against FM7 and pCARS 2 mainly due to the name and brand recognition.
  • FM7 will probably be the best all round "game" for those still after the traditional experience of the old GT games following Sport's change in philosophy, plus the expansion to PC platforms could potentially bring in new customers.
  • pCARS 2 will likely be the niche favorite for the fans who enjoy proper racing. Provided that SMS can deliver on improvements over the first game, it could sit very well with the sim crowd.
FM7 and pCARS 2 are going to be my picks for this year after getting completely jaded with GT in recent years.

Back