Hall Of Fame: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 228 comments
I didn't put details because it's just the video of the previously submitted time. Sorry.

Oh sorry my bad. Has been a tired day.

It's the corners at the end of the final straight that're the killers. After running the entire track with no flags, you're blasting along the straight with white knuckles, wanting to push hard through the last 4 corners... pushing just a bit too hard...

DAMN!!!:ouch:

Back to restart. :grumpy:

BTW: kekke, that C Class M3 time (8.49.231) is mine. I'm still waiting for Wolfe to bring it... :sly:

Fixed, i think... I'll probably do the whole list all over soon. To make sure there are no errors.

Well, my old record was made around the same time as that black flag one in the screenshot, which, as you can see, was over 2 years ago, shortly after the game came out. I just never bothered to try to improve on it, because I had no reason to. You gave me a reason. :)

If this thread is going to be as active as it has been recently, maybe I should have a go with some other cars. I don't know if I have the patience to retry the 787B, though...

Class C (LV1 BMW E30 M3 Sport Evolution - No Assists) 8'45"705

Had a couple of runs with 4 or 5 seconds off that & lost it both times on the last corner sequence. :banghead:

I think I've figured out how you did it:

💡 the red car's faster.

Well, here are the results of my attempt at being the fastest LV1 driver in every class (except R).

Class A (LV1 Ruf CTR - No Assists) 7'31"668

Class B (LV1 Nissan R32 Skyline GT-R - No Assists) 8'11"503

Class B (LV1 Audi RS6 - No Assists) 8'12"285

Class B (LV1 Chevrolet C5 Corvette Z51 - No Assists) 8'07"782

Class D (LV1 BMW 2002 Turbo - No Assists) 9'20"872

Class D (LV1 MINI Cooper S - No Assists) 8'53"527

Class E (LV1 Nissan S30 Fairlady 240ZG - No Assists) 9'31"929

Class F (LV1 Volkswagen Beetle Type 1 - No Assists) 12'48"123

Class C (LV1 BMW E30 M3 Sport Evolution - No Assists) 8'45"705

Had a couple of runs with 4 or 5 seconds off that & lost it both times on the last corner sequence. :banghead:

I think I've figured out how you did it:

💡 the red car's faster.
I always use a black E30 M3. :ouch:

Class C (LV1 BMW E30 M3 Sport Evolution - No Assists) 8'23"774 (room for improvement)

That's my third lap! :D My first lap was an 8'27.xxx

Not the fastest thing around but very, very chuckable

Class C (LV1 BMW E30 M3 Sport Evolution - No Assists) 8'23"774 (room for improvement)

That's my third lap! :D My first lap was an 8'27.xxx

Not the fastest thing around but very, very chuckable
Got a screenshot of the records screen? If yes, got a video?

I don't mean to doubt you, Mick, but I just honestly don't see how that's possible when I have to cut every cuttable corner just to get a similar time (8'25" on the first attempt, 8'21"445 on the second).

m3sportevolutione30qf1.jpg

Well then, you've got to be one of the fastest Enthusia players on the planet (maybe the fastest).

I'm still having trouble imagining that you'd find enough speed elsewhere to make up for the fact that I shot clear across the grass at Hocheichen, Adenauer Forst, Hohe Acht, and the chicane before the start/finish line. Not to mention the fact that I didn't care if I got a black flag, and therefore didn't hold back at all.

I'd bring up the possibility that Australian copies of the game are faster than in other territories, but then it'd really look like I'm just throwing a fit because you set a faster time than I could. :lol:

I've run times with many games (GT4, ToCA3, Enthusia) that people don't believe until they see them so i know i'm pretty fast. But i know a couple of other guys (GT4 and ToCA3 players) who are just as fast. I don't believe that my version is somehow magically faster.

One thing though is i'm not sure how easy/hard the car is to drive with the DS2 (you are still using it right?). It could be holding you back. I'm using a G25 wheel which should be the same as a DFP (Driving Force Pro) as they both support 900 degree mode.

If using a DF (Driving Force) wheel the game activates speed-sensitive steering because it only supports 200 degree mode. It's really hard to get used to the speed-sensitive steering so i suggest against using a DF wheel.

I might give the controller a go when i get a chance to play again just to see how different it is (be warned i gave up using a controller a long time ago and i'm horrid with it now).

I'm not particularly worried about my own ability to match or come close to your time. As I said, it's the corner-cutting times that get me.

And yes, I'm always using the DS2 for Enthusia. I might try my G25 but I don't think I'll find 13 seconds.

Well that saves me the pain of DS2 driving... Thanks.

See how you go with the G25. If you really want a video i'll have another crack at the lap soon and try for the 8'22 then i'll make a video.

Wolfe
I might try my G25 but I don't think I'll find 13 seconds.

Well now that you know the time's there it's up to you (and your patience :P ) if you want to look for it. The problem with Nurburgring is that it's just so long that you will always gain some, lose some, etc even throughout a good lap. Trying to learn the perfect balance for every corner is a life-long task in itself; forget actually holding that for a whole lap.

Give Tsukuba a go; being a fairly short, but reasonably complicated track, makes it a better yard-stick of performance.

So i'm guessing this old M3 is a favourite of yours...

I'm telling ya: Mick's PS2 should be checked by the officials for signs of tampering... :irked:

I think the trouble with the shorter tracks is it's too easy for the run to become completely mechanical, with every input precisely measured. With Nurburgring every run ends up being different.

Wolfe: I don't understand why you would choose to drive with the DS2 rather than the wheel?

I'm not surprised I had my butt kicked by Wolfe, but somehow Wolfe getting his butt kicked by Mick does not make me feel any better. I would appreciate it if someone out there would post some times that are actually worse than mine, so that I don't look like the worst EPR player on the planet. :rolleyes:

BTW: I think it makes sense, particularly seeing how long (& hard) the Ring is to run clean, for people to post their first clean time & then update it as they improve on it, as it may take a while (days/months/years...) for anyone to beat Mick's time.

If anyone's interested, I would like to start a Time Trial thread for Burgenshlucht - kind of a nice track in between the very short (Tsukuba) & the very long (Nurburgring).

Well now that you know the time's there it's up to you (and your patience :P ) if you want to look for it. The problem with Nurburgring is that it's just so long that you will always gain some, lose some, etc even throughout a good lap. Trying to learn the perfect balance for every corner is a life-long task in itself; forget actually holding that for a whole lap.
Exactly. Although I won't say that I can't improve, I will say that my 8'36" lap was probably quite close to the limit of my abilities.

Give Tsukuba a go; being a fairly short, but reasonably complicated track, makes it a better yard-stick of performance.
It would certainly make the no-black-flag lapping process easier. I think we may already have a Tsukuba time trial thread around here somewhere...

So i'm guessing this old M3 is a favourite of yours...
Not just a favorite, the favorite. :)

Wolfe: I don't understand why you would choose to drive with the DS2 rather than the wheel?
Well, the only convenient way for me to play with the wheel is to set it up on my computer desk and run the PS2's video and audio through my TV tuner card. The problem with that is that it degrades the video quality, lowers the framerate, and adds a slight delay to the controls. Plus, my TV is bigger than my monitor.

On top of that, after a hard day at work or school, I really don't feel like going through the trouble of setting up the G25, much less going through the physical motions of playing with it. Playing with the DS2 allows me to lean back in my chair, put my feet up, and do some laps for fun. After all this time, playing with the DS2 on Enthusia isn't particularly challenging anyway.

Last but not least, we all know the force feedback in Enthusia isn't all that good, so I'd actually have to play with the wheel for some time -- to get used to the FF -- before I'd see any possible improvement over my DS2 performance.

I just use the G25 with PC games.

Well, the only convenient way for me to play with the wheel is to set it up on my computer desk and run the PS2's video and audio through my TV tuner card. The problem with that is that it degrades the video quality, lowers the framerate, and adds a slight delay to the controls. Plus, my TV is bigger than my monitor.

On top of that, after a hard day at work or school, I really don't feel like going through the trouble of setting up the G25, much less going through the physical motions of playing with it. Playing with the DS2 allows me to lean back in my chair, put my feet up, and do some laps for fun.

Last but not least, we all know the force feedback in Enthusia isn't all that good, so I'd actually have to play with the wheel for some time -- to get used to the FF -- before I'd see any possible improvement over my DS2 performance.

There's no question that using a controller is more convenient (it's also a helluva lot quieter), but that's no substitute for the simulation of a wheel, especially if you've already invested in a G25. I have a simple set up with the wheel on a small table with a 13" TV (will upgrade to a 19" HDTV when GT5 arrives - I'm not sure that my 37" HDTV adds that much to the experience as it just points out the graphical shortcomings of EPR (or GT4). The only trouble is, the binging & banging drives my wife nuts! :irked:

You don't need to spend lots to have a useable cockpit. My cockpit is a coffee table and a beanbag. ;)

Biggles
I'm telling ya: Mick's PS2 should be checked by the officials for signs of tampering...
I've been through 4 PS2's (one brick, and three slims). All have been the same. :D

Biggles
I think the trouble with the shorter tracks is it's too easy for the run to become completely mechanical, with every input precisely measured. With Nurburgring every run ends up being different.
Yes precision is what will lead to a blinder lap. The thing is, if you want to run properly fast at Nurburgring you have to treat it the same as any other track. There are just many more turns to learn where/when/what to do.

Adam West
I'd like to see a video of that. It sounds impossible.
I guess you are referring to me. The records screen image is proof that it was run with a stock standard car. And you can see that i did not get flagged on the run.

Wolfe
Not just a favorite, the favorite. :)
It's a great car to drive but, if my memory serves me correctly, the newer M3 feels virtually the same but is better in every way (more power, more grip, better handling repsonse...). I guess we've all got to have a passion.

Yes precision is what will lead to a blinder lap.

I kind of like the first few runs where you start to dial in the car & lop big numbers off your time. The fine-tuning is a little less interesting as it involves a lot of repetition. Either way, I think one of the strengths of EPR is it offers more variability in how your runs turn out than either Forza or GT4.

I've been through 4 PS2's (one brick, and three slims). All have been the same. :D
Sounds like a bunch of ordinary PS2s to me. These things burn out quicker than you can say "Disc Read Error."

It's a great car to drive but, if my memory serves me correctly, the newer M3 feels virtually the same but is better in every way (more power, more grip, better handling repsonse...). I guess we've all got to have a passion.
If I believed in performance above all else, I wouldn't be a fan of sports sedans to begin with.

Personally i like the look of the new M3. The fact that it's been refined in pretty much every area compared to the older version, while still keeping the same great feel, is the bonus. I just love the way both of them feel on the road; brilliant balance on turn in, mid corner and exit. The new M3 responds just that little bit better, but they both take pretty much anything you throw at them and always ask more.

I'm a Lotus man myself. :D

If Enthusia had the M3 CSL instead of the GTR, I'd probably use the E46 as often as the E30, if not moreso just because of the engine noise.

The GTR Strasse Version doesn't look right and has a boring, almost nasal engine noise, IMO.

Personally i like the look of the new M3. The fact that it's been refined in pretty much every area compared to the older version, while still keeping the same great feel, is the bonus. I just love the way both of them feel on the road; brilliant balance on turn in, mid corner and exit. The new M3 responds just that little bit better, but they both take pretty much anything you throw at them and always ask more.

I'm a Lotus man myself. :D

But BMW is a little like an overweight Lotus. Good balance and amazing cornering.

I'm no whiz around the ring.

Hell my times are easily laughable compared to the stuff I've seen around here.

But what I can say is, I can not play enthusia with a wheel to save my life. The force feedback feels in every way wrong. I can easily say that when using a wheel in enthusia, I simply can't find the information I need to drive the car.

You can ask Wolfe, I rely on my gut to tell me what to do. I know when I slide's coming to an end when I feel the tug on the wheel and the suspension rock just a certain way.

I pretty much suck at LFS for the same reason. The game is just so realistic, that without all the forces I'm used to experiencing while driving, I'm totally lost.

With that said it is a huge pain to set up the wheel when we can just as easily hit 2 buttons, grab a controller, and play.

Finally, I wish the game had the Subaru SVX. I've been tooling around in mine for well over 3 months now, but sadly due to the slowly failing wheel bearings and the still creaky ball-joint, I can never really throw my car around 100%, I've always gotta hold back in fear of breaking something.

But from what I've done with it so far, I can say that while the car is heavy and sluggish (mostly due to the AT) it is extremely precise and very very driver friendly. When I slide it around in the rain, it does just what I want. And when I begin to understeer it always seems to slide the tail just enough to correct it.

I don't find the feedback to be wrong. It's just very, very light which makes feeling what it's telling me difficult. It takes time to adjust and 'listen harder' to the wheel so that you can feel it.

I kind of look at it like the way i look at almost every car i've ever driven with power-assisted steering. My car doesn't have power steering so the wheel is quite heavy. You don't need to 'listen' hard to know what it's telling you. Whenever i get in a car with power steering it always takes some time before i stop feeling like the wheel is dead. Once i get used to the lighter force all is well again (well except the old XF Falcon i drove a few times. It was one of the first car's in Oz with power steering and gives no feedback whatsoever. Very scary to drive at first).

Back