Has GT6 been abandoned by PD?

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 935 comments

Do you think GT6 has been Abandoned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me to begin a fight with the living fire itself, everyone.

Vagabond, sire. Thou hast commited a fault in writing "it's".

Goodbye, everyone. I'm proud I could be a part of GTPlanet.
That's not starting a fight, it's being a grammar Sherlock. So that qualifies as misleading information, which is against the AUP = 5 points
"Committed" has 2 Ts - correcting my mistake while making one of your own? Shocking. 10 points.
Pointing out a mod's mistake = 10 points.
Proud are you? That's a sin you know..? Committing a deadly sin = 5 points.
30 points = banned. Night night.

That's not starting a fight, it's being a grammar Sherlock. So that qualifies as misleading information, which is against the AUP = 5 points
"Committed" has 2 Ts - correcting my mistake while making one of your own? Shocking. 10 points.
image.jpg

Let's take a look at what was received in those early patches and compare then, shall we?

GT5

1.02 - 27 November

Online – Weight and Power Limits added.

1.03 - 6 December

Mechanical damage added to all modes

1.04 and 1.05 - 20 December

Seasonal Events
Online Collector's Dealership
Online – Rewards and Experience added.
Online stat tracking added.
GT Mode rewards tweaked.
Race Information Display options added.
Save Data Backup added.
User BGM (Menu) added.
Website Integration added – community features now available through granturismo.com

1.06 - 11 February

Remote Racing added.
Can use Course Maker tracks online.
Performance points added for online.
Rewards and Experience for online tweaked.
Tyre/fuel depletion and auto start added to online options.
Special Event penalties tweaked.
Rewards and Experience for GT Life tweaked (again).
Car Loans added.
Additional car settings made available (power limiter/ballast).
Multi-monitor support added.
Various settings changes.
AI upgrades.

1.07 - 24 February

Friend rankings in drift and time trials.
Million credit limit on trades.

1.08 - 9 March

SSR7 hack patch.

Continued with minor hack patches until 1.10 on 7 June.

GT6

1.01 - 6 December

Vision GT has been added to the home screen.
Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo is available as a gift car.
Car tuning menus has been updater to expand/collapse function.
Freshman Cup added to National B mode.
Status screen has an updated layout.
Tyre type fitted to car is now displayed in lower left corner of race display when driving.

1.02 - 18 December

Red Bull X Challenge Part 1 added.
BMW M4 added.
Login Bonus added.
Credits in Career mode tweaked.
Entry requirements for seasonals tweaked.

1.03 - 14 January

Toyota FT-1 Added.
BMW M4 interior added.

1.04 - 28 January

Red Bull X Challenge Part 2 added.
Mercedes-Benz Vision GT Racing added.
Corvette Stingray GT Concept added.
Birthday bonus added.
Remove Ghost Replay button added.
Prize info added to seasonal events.

1.05 - 10 March

New race types added to Open Lobby (TT, Drift, Free Run).
Multiple filters can be used to search.
Karts usable on tracks with weather.
Can see regulations before entering a room.
Multi-monitor support added.
Car Search added.
Racing Gear can be purchased in individual colours.
Tuning for karts expanded.

GT6 has received some content in the new cars and extra Red Bull events, but little in the way of updated features.
GT5 received no new content, but added a lot of useful features.

I wouldn't describe either game as lacking in content. What they both needed at release was features. One got them, the other so far hasn't.

EXCELLENT comparison.

I remember 1.06 being one of the biggest and useful feature-rich updates, as that was right about the time I got GT5. The LEAST PD could do for us now is trickle-feed some community features now and then... They got a little close in allowing drift and time trials in lobbies.

There was a significantly larger amount of features added in 1.05 compared to previous GT6 updates, which is somewhat similar to GT5's (minus the time it took, of course...) I'd hope for this to be a sign that things'll start to pick up, but PD has dropped the ball too much to give me high expectations.

I was noisy on the news section back in the GT5 days, and I adamantly defended that GT6 would be "everything GT5 should have been". This was the idea I had, making the assumption that GT6 would be on developer-friendly, next-gen hardware. Then it was confirmed for PS3, but PD claimed they knew what they were doing on the old architecture, and considering what I had seen other first party companies (especially Naughty Dog) produce and make hyper-efficient, the idea still seemed half-reasonable. But this GT6 still happened. I can't find a way to explain it in a defensive fashion for PD.

MAYBE we'll see some sort of acceleration of progress soon - we're supposed to be getting Senna stuff in May, and now the data logger for June. Perhaps we could see some form of update in April, possibly including the track we were supposed to get February.

*Edit: This is in no way supposed to be a strong prediction. I'm simply analyzing the very little information we have and trying to throw a positive spin on it.

None of that answered my question. I very much appreciate what Kaz did with GT1 but what I asked is if Kaz had left after that first game, what would we have missed in the following games? Give me some specific examples. If someone else just took it on and continued on with the same formula but did donthing new, had no 'vision', what would we have missed out on?
Tornado sort of answered this. But a real analytical response with discrete points isn't easy to formulate. In case you haven't noticed, a number of fans from Jordan and amar212 to me have tried to wrap our heads around the mystery of why Gran Turismo is so different and appealing to so may people. The only thing I can tell you is, it's Kaz. He's some kind of mad genius.

I disagree with Tor in that a GT that went its own way after GT1 would be remotely similar. The only reason that GT2 had the Mazda Demio is Kaz. If he hadn't been at the helm, who would have included that car, and other similar econoboxes? What indication is there that, Kaz aside, anything would be included below a 230hp Supra or Mustang? Who would have VW "bus" races? Who in their right mind would propose a game with 500 cars in it, let alone 200? A thousand?

Those four or five guys who "liked" my post, got it. And unless I'm misremembering, every one of them have been critical of GT5 and 6, at least GT6.

PD really have to work harder if they want to win some fans back. GT6's disappointing sales should be a wake up call. Alas, they are living in their own world!
Very few things are less true. Kaz has remarked in a number of interviews how he anguishes after the release of every Gran Turismo, hoping the fans appreciate the work the team put into their latest game. Kaz would never chuck one of his babies, without being ordered to, so you guys posting mocking stuff like "Kaz doesn't give a toot" or "He's laughing at us all the way to the bank" or "They're living in their own little money insulated dream world" have no clue.

Who knows what's going on? We'll have a better idea in May and June, especially at E3.

Tornado sort of answered this. But a real analytical response with discrete points isn't easy to formulate. In case you haven't noticed, a number of fans from Jordan and amar212 to me have tried to wrap our heads around the mystery of why Gran Turismo is so different and appealing to so may people. The only thing I can tell you is, it's Kaz. He's some kind of mad genius.

Great. But I've already agreed the original game idea was revolutionary. what is different from GT1 to GT6, thanks solely to Kaz? If you can't answer that, the answer is probably nothing.

I disagree with Tor in that a GT that went its own way after GT1 would be remotely similar. The only reason that GT2 had the Mazda Demio is Kaz. If he hadn't been at the helm, who would have included that car, and other similar econoboxes? What indication is there that, Kaz aside, anything would be included below a 230hp Supra or Mustang? Who would have VW "bus" races? Who in their right mind would propose a game with 500 cars in it, let alone 200? A thousand?

Those four or five guys who "liked" my post, got it. And unless I'm misremembering, every one of them have been critical of GT5 and 6, at least GT6.

So he...brought cars. That's hardly a vision, is it? So ok, Gran Turismo 6 without Kaz may have had less cars/different cars. What else?

Very few things are less true. Kaz has remarked in a number of interviews how he anguishes after the release of every Gran Turismo, hoping the fans appreciate the work the team put into their latest game. Kaz would never chuck one of his babies, without being ordered to, so you guys posting mocking stuff like "Kaz doesn't give a toot" or "He's laughing at us all the way to the bank" or "They're living in their own little money insulated dream world" have no clue.

Neither do you. You're only going by what Kaz has told you. Doesn't mean that actually happens.As for the bolded again, that's you just making an assumption. You have no idea if that is true.

From my impression, Kaz' vision is about creating the most photorealistic driving simulation. In KAZ he appeared as a photographer, I didn't know that before but it fits the scheme. If you want to define a 'vision' he has, it's probably the perfect optical recreation of cars and driving. It'd explain the leading implementation of things like replays and photomode while other aspects like sounds always have been flawed.

Unfortunately his dream seems to be a perfectly simulated car all alone on track doing hot laps forever alone instead of exciting, close racing. His dream also has no sound and is generally flawed in every other aspect than graphics. And those graphics fail to reach perfectionism they aim for too, but you can always blame the limited outdated tech or something...

This 2x. :lol::lol::lol:

Neither do you. You're only going by what Kaz has told you. Doesn't mean that actually happens.As for the bolded again, that's you just making an assumption. You have no idea if that is true.
I think I'm on more solid footing than you are. Most of us will accept at face value a remark that someone makes about themselves and what they're involved in. Unless you have something solid to offer in that regard, I'm assuming that it makes more sense to follow the usual suit.

Now, on your dogged fixation on "How would GT be different without Kaz?" I'm not really getting the point or the urgency in your relentless pursuit of it. I've answered to the best of my ability, so I'm leaving you with your quandary.

I call complete BS on KAZ for that. You should know better than believing all his BS.

Who knows what's going on? We'll have a better idea in May and June, especially at E3.

Eee-e-e-xactly.

We can only know by what we see. What we see is the big middle finger to all loyal GT fans, from Kaz and PD, by the lack of communication and lack of fixing bugs, and lack of adding content that is printed on the box.

Defending him by using his own BS from other interviews? No logic there at all.

BWX
Defending him by using his own BS from other interviews? No logic there at all.
Those promises makes me wonder if the premium cars really are next gen ready as he said in the past. Having said that, i think he is still very important for GT and therefore i respect him. Lets not forget that he made simulations more popular that anyone has before and he could be the reason we saw developers challenge him with their own games, while publishers saw an opportunity to make money with a simulation on console and funded them.

I think I'm on more solid footing than you are. Most of us will accept at face value a remark that someone makes about themselves and what they're involved in. Unless you have something solid to offer in that regard, I'm assuming that it makes more sense to follow the usual suit.

Why, when so much of what he says just doesn't happen? Why should I just take at face value everything he says?

Now, on your dogged fixation on "How would GT be different without Kaz?" I'm not really getting the point or the urgency in your relentless pursuit of it. I've answered to the best of my ability, so I'm leaving you with your quandary.

I asked the question originally because of this post:

True, but in the GT/PlayStation/racing worlds... Kaz is almost as big a brand as GT. Imagine MGS without Hideo Kojima... can't really. Though he says he wants to move on. GT's like that without Kaz always saying he's done.

..and I do find it fascinating that nobody can really answer. They keep talking about Kaz's vision and what it's done for the series but on the simple question of what GT6 would be missing if he left after GT1 all you can come up with is some invisible, impossible to define 'feeling' and some cars. Man, that is some vision.

I can't speak about the early series since I joined in late, but perhaps what they need was a little less ambition...since they don't seem capable of delivering on them.

Too late as Tornado demonstrated, they set themselves up for a damned if we don't and damned if we do because we didn't do a good job. As the game progressed from the second and third iteration, it became about offering more and more and give us a ton of cars and tracks with those features while every time having issues in doing so. Then fans started to ask "well why don't we have weather and damage surely you can do that?" And PD realized they couldn't leave well enough alone. Thus they shoot themselves in the foot by being more and more ambitious and trying to recreate something new like they did when making the first few games. None of us asked for GPS or anything like that, really the request from the critical fans wer quite simple and they (PD) set the bar to a level that seems to as of late be unobtainable in a complete fashion.

At least that is how it reads to me and I am like Tornado a long time player of the game since the first one.

Last edited:
Totally spent on this one... It's not that they've abandoned GT6, it's that they're now ONLY generating content for those willing to pay big money more: i.e. other companies. They'll run big fancy special seasonals for BMW Japan's audience, because BMW of Japan was willing to pay. They'll run special Red Bull Japanese Gamer tournaments because Red Bull is willing to let Newey design a car (and presumably they'll pay). They'll develop special data logging software for NISMO for their new Skyline models because, guess what, Nissan is willing to pay.

You and I haven't been paying for extra-DLC in GT6...yet... We have no value to them as an audience, only as a commodity...

It's not a game, it's a freaking money farm where PD is selling access to us to advertisers/companies. Gran Turismo is no longer Polyphony Digital's product. We are. Why do you think they were so obsessed with showing the world how many hours we'd spent and how many hours we'd driven in GT5? It was about increasing the value of access to Gran Turismo players for potential sponsors...

Gran Turismo 6 hasn't been abandoned by Polyphony Digital. Its players have. Welcome to the future of video gaming, ladies and gentlemen, where you're no longer a player of the game, but the product the game company is selling to their real target consumers: big businesses... It's the exact same model that has driven television for years. They don't have to keep us happy, they just have to keep enough of us playing/watching to keep these companies happy...

We're not playing GT6, GT6 is playing us, and I really don't think I've ever been angrier with a company than I am with PD right now... Screw them...

Gran Turismo 6 hasn't been abandoned by Polyphony Digital. Its players have. Welcome to the future of video gaming, ladies and gentlemen, where you're no longer a player of the game, but the product the game company is selling to their real target consumers: big businesses... It's the exact same model that has driven television for years. They don't have to keep us happy, they just have to keep enough of us playing/watching to keep these companies happy...

We're not playing GT6, GT6 is playing us, and I really don't think I've ever been angrier with a company than I am with PD right now... Screw them...
The relationships with manufacturers will only be strong if the game continues to sell at historic levels. 5 million units for example would be earth shattering for most other car games, but a disaster for the GT series, given it's less than half of their historic average. The fans still need to support the game first and foremost in order for the whole house of cards to continue standing.

Short answer: No. I don't think PD's given up on 6.

Long answer: Just because PD's started work on GT7 doesn't mean that 6 is just being scrapped. PD may be a company that doesn't really communicate with their fans, but that doesn't mean they don't care about them. If you ask me, it's just another sign they're busy working their butts off making GT6 the best they can make it before moving on to the PS4 and making the best game they can there. Gran Turismo back then used to just be a racing game, now it's influence has even had the car companies make cars up just for the game. That's pretty deep. The only delay to the vision GT cars being released so slowly is probably because the car makers aren't sure if they really wanna build them or if they're making a model to show off at the next auto show.

Point is, GT's become too big to be a letdown, and I bet those folks at PD know it. They're human beings too y'know, I wouldn't doubt it if they were just as frustrated as we are for not meeting their deadlines. And if your argument is something like "well just hire more staff", there's gotta be a more complicated reason why they can't.

Tell me, would it really not bother you if a few thousand or so people, after putting years of hard work and passion into a game, kept typing bullcrap like "they don't care anymore", or "this one particular car's not in it, THISGAMESUCKS"? It would sure bug me, and I'd wanna see how I could fix it. Sure Kaz may not feel this way, but based on what I've seen on his genuine love for the car industry and GT, I can't imagine he feels much differently.

I for one am gonna keep cheering PD on, they made a wonderful thing with GT, a wonderful game with GT6, and I look forward to seeing it improve.

Am I the only one who thought they are cool?

They are cool.

But one shouldn't be distracted from the fact that their primary purpose is marketing for the manufacturers. The Mercedes VGT was and is great publicity for Mercedes, it got them a LOT of air time and exposure. Presumably the other manufacturers would like the same.

Point is, GT's become too big to be a letdown, and I bet those folks at PD know it.

What exactly does "too big to be a letdown" mean?

Obviously they could make a terrible game, no one is immune from that. So what happens, hypothetically, to a developer who makes a bad game yet is too big to be a letdown?

Or are you saying that PD is immune from making terrible games? That they're so big that anything they make couldn't be bad?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.

If you ask me, it's just another sign they're busy working their butts off making GT6 the best they can make it before moving on to the PS4 and making the best game they can there.
10 minutes to write a letter or create a twitter account should be possible. Besides companies have a marketing/community team dedicated to do this job.
he only delay to the vision GT cars being released so slowly is probably because the car makers aren't sure if they really wanna build them or if they're making a model to show off at the next auto show.
That doesn't make sense at all.
I for one am gonna keep cheering PD on, they made a wonderful thing with GT, a wonderful game with GT6, and I look forward to seeing it improve.
GT6 is a better game as GT5 and PD made a great job in the past. Having said that GT5 was a little bit disappointing and PD lack of communication bothers me more and more. Furthermore PD made the same mistakes again. Doesn't sound promising for the future.

Last edited:
Clothing companies using sweatshop labour, mining companies trashing the environment, building supply companies killing us with asbestos, tobacco companies etc. and you are angrier at PD?
Ooooh...A lowblow. You, sir are a posting assassin.

It's not a game, it's a freaking money farm where PD is selling access to us to advertisers/companies. Gran Turismo is no longer Polyphony Digital's product. We are. Why do you think they were so obsessed with showing the world how many hours we'd spent and how many hours we'd driven in GT5? It was about increasing the value of access to Gran Turismo players for potential sponsors...
Gwenbors did what TenD couldn't: describe Kaz's vision.

I thought it's best practice to spell out single-digit whole numbers?
Don't defend my extremely weak attempt at being funny.

Also if there's nothing big coming in April, I think it's obvious PD are as done with us (as a community) as some of us are with GT6.

I used to defend PD but never again. And I do believe that they have given up with this game. I've no doubt there will be a couple more minor updates but they will be through necessity rather than for fun purposes. Everything I hoped for and nearly everything they suggested has not happened. New track each month, 2 VGT cars per month, course maker, community features and so forth. All lies. New track in February. One sixth of a year later it's still not appeared. I've not played this game for quite some time now as it has no value of play what so ever. After constantly seeing how regular Forza gets updated I will be taking that route now. Since day one of GT, I have invested my money in nearly every single release they have ever made. All the major titles and most of the half-way games. PSP, Signature Edition, Anniversary Edition. Always made sure I got the best. Now I feel I got the worst in terms of effort put into a game. I really hope PD reads this stuff. PD, shame on you. Your company is a disgrace and you owe your loyal customers an explanation for why you have failed to deliver advertised content.

Unfortunately his dream seems to be a perfectly simulated car all alone on track doing hot laps forever alone instead of exciting, close racing. His dream also has no sound and is generally flawed in every other aspect than graphics. And those graphics fail to reach perfectionism they aim for too, but you can always blame the limited outdated tech or something...
Maybe he's just racing like "the Stig" all alone on the track doing time-trials, with Ipod earbuds in his helmet listening to elevator (menu) music?

The more time that passes, the less relevant any updates will be as the game steadily loses users due to the sorry state the game is in. Thereby, the more time that passes, the less likely PD will be to throw resources at a game that is old hat. They have GT7 to produce, and they must be sweating bricks hoping that game won't turn out as shabby at GT6 was. So all resources go there, bar a skeleton crew churning out seasonal super lap events.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back