Has Laguna Seca just been leaked?

• Thread starter Cssgareth
  • 541 comments
Screenshot_20191117-004807.jpg

I wonder how NDA in PD/event actually work, like leak always happen even before practice like this. Just like they never punish who made leak or something like that. :lol:

Not I hate leak but I more prefer get the surprise during event, like this just like spoil the surprise itself

It's beyond me how some people in this thread are saying Laguna Seca is average. I'm not disrespecting that opinion, but I simply don't understand it. The track is like Brands Hatch baked in the oven for 30 minutes and then topped off with some Nordschleife seasoning. What's not to like?

It makes you wonder what those people consider as an exciting track.

I wonder how NDA in PD/event actually work, like leak always happen even before practice like this. Just like they never punish who made leak or something like that. :lol:
You can only punish/enforce NDA's if you know who leaked. ;) There would probably be 30-40 competitors who received the event timetable, and then if you include staff at PD's end, and it could be one of potentially hundred's who could have leaked.

And you can never discount an 'official' leak these days. ;)

Jeez. It looks like you don't even get the point why I mentioned it earlier, did you? :rolleyes:
Obviously not. :eek: Maybe being too subtle. ;) I use emoji's to help people understand when I attempt humour. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_20191117-004807.jpg

Not I hate leak but I more prefer get the surprise during event, like this just like spoil the surprise itself
The source is anonymous so it's all good.

Would be awesome, I agree. Still, never over-expect from PD, they're known to disappoint.
The door's over there. Nobody stopped you.

It says in this article they have been capturing track images at 8k resolution:
https://www.gtplanet.net/how-gran-turismo-is-made/
"They drive the track in a car loaded with special cameras that capture the environment in 360-degree video at 8K resolution."
I think it's extremely likely that the track assets they have been creating for GTS are already PS5 ready.

A simple increase in resolution isn't the same as having assets actually modeled and created specifically for PS5 though. I.e. just look at ported ps2 tracks in higher res textures to GT5/6 compared to tracks specifically made for ps3.

The track modelling is upto PS5 standards. The big leap will be texture quality and higher quality effects. Basically things that can be scaled to the hardware.

Considering some of the track models actually still uses building assets from the PS3 era, it's definitely not PS5 standard. Alsace circuit literally uses a gigantic flat billboard to imitate a forest of trees. No amount of resolution is going to make that less obvious.

You can already do great texture work on current consoles, it's just a matter of texture filtering to see them at high quality at a distance. Next-gen consoles will be much more capable than just better textures or effects. Vegetation makes up the majority of these tracks, and the vegetation on Spa in GTSport simply in higher-res won't stand a chance against scanned-in 3D vegetation using photogrammetry.

andrew-hamilton-forest-01-01.jpg

Last edited:
A simple increase in resolution isn't the same as having assets actually modeled and created specifically for PS5 though. I.e. just look at ported ps2 tracks in higher res textures to GT5/6 compared to tracks specifically made for ps3.

Considering some of the track models actually still uses building assets from the PS3 era, it's definitely not PS5 standard. Alsace circuit literally uses a gigantic flat billboard to imitate a forest of trees. No amount of resolution is going to make that less obvious.

You can already do great texture work on current consoles, it's just a matter of texture filtering to see them at high quality at a distance. Next-gen consoles will be much more capable than just better textures or effects. Vegetation makes up the majority of these tracks, and the vegetation on Spa in GTSport simply in higher-res won't stand a chance against scanned-in 3D vegetation using photogrammetry.

andrew-hamilton-forest-01-01.jpg
I doubt you will see that fidelity in GT even on PS6 tbh, it's not a priority for them.

It makes you wonder what those people consider as an exciting track.

A track that's usually European in origin. :sly:

Bingo. That, or some obscure Japanese track which, while cool and unique, quickly grows boring once Polyphony beats it dead to the ground in endless Sport Mode Race 2's.

To those that say that Laguna Seca is 'overrated' you do realize that the only other real world American track in the game currently is Willow Springs, right? Also remember that Laguna Seca is one of the most well known tracks in the US, both in terms of the events that it holds, and the history. What other tracks would you suggest? Sure, would be nice to have Road America, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Last edited:
The source is anonymous so it's all good.

BS

The door's over there. Nobody stopped you.

Wow, you must be maaad. Hahaha... Nobody asked for your opinion anyways! Go away...

Edit: After giving it a second thought, I'll just add you to my ignore list. I don't wanna hear your whining.

Last edited:
I doubt you will see that fidelity in GT even on PS6 tbh, it's not a priority for them.

It would difficult to say what their priority is without being a part of the dev team, but we all know Polyphony loves to push graphics. When GTSport was first announced with only a small teaser footage, PD said regarding graphics on the official site that the trees would be 3D and blow in the wind. We never got that, and it would be impossible to do with the current 2D rotating billboards that's used in GTSport. Several of the Polyphony programmers started taking an interest in photogrammetry, it is used for the rock models in the recent Sardegna road course, but the models were heavily downgraded from the photoscans.

Nope.

We ran an article that used the available evidence - three gaps in the FIA schedule in one ten-race sequence, suggesting a circuit with three variants - to suggest what tracks might be coming, with Silverstone the likeliest (existing GT series track, FIA-graded, five layouts, etc.), but other circuits like Motegi or a new fictional location or layouts at an existing location possible. Turned out to be Sardegna Road, with three variants at an existing location.
Fair enough, I hope Silverstone does return to the series

Never found it to be an interesting circuit at all, it's got one famous corner and that's it, the rest is very below average. It's great that we keep getting new content, just a shame it's not something completely new.

I shared this opinion for many years. Till the day and the moment I was hiking around the track back in 2016. AMG had something running like a driving school and you could easily have seen the people who were afraid of the corner every time they reached the top of the hill. Braking to much, slippery moments before they turned into a blind spot of air and then falling into the corner. The other half were a lot more confident, driving the same lines over again and somewhat let the car do the "falling" part and they drove it trough the combination, a very sexy move to see it as a supporter live, a few yards away, from above or lower after the Corkscrew corner.

This track grew on me every minute I was there. Far more special than only being the Corkscrew. Maybe you're still right, but now feeling the whole track is a warm up for that single corner/combination, lap after lap.

Well I wasn’t expecting this one. Looks pretty legit to me. I will definitely have fun doing some laps on this circuit it’s always a fan favourite in any game. I had lots of good times in previous GT games driving Laguna Seca. The last Gran Turismo memory I have was GT6 testing a WRX and EVO. I last drove this track on Project Cars One with a McLaren P1.
I personally was thinking of Silverstone some day. Perhaps that will still happen. Thanks again PD for giving us GT fans such cool FREE content. Much appreciated.:cheers:

Not my favourite out of the great American tracks but it’s better than nothing or a “samey” fantasy track.

Amazing news, love me some Laguna! If they add Silverstone too for me it would only be missing one real life track from previous GT games, and that would be the Top Gear test track (I know it's not coming but one can dream...).

Imagine this coming up on the notice board as you boot up GT Sport!

Cars
- The following cars have been added:
  • Acura ARX-05 Race Car ‘18
  • Cadillac DPi V.R. Race Car ‘18
  • Mazda RT24-P Race Car ‘18
  • Nissan Onroak DPi Race Car ‘18
Tracks
- The “WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca” track has been added.

I wish I bloody wish this will happen but I highly doubt it as we will most likely get road cars.

Back