Has Laguna Seca just been leaked?

• Thread starter Cssgareth
  • 541 comments
I can confirm that this is the information that the competitors have. And already did, 'cos I wrote the article and said so.

We won't know for sure if the information given to competitors is itself true - someone might be pulling a Coleen Rooney (hence my earlier comment) - until probably Thursday or Friday.
You've made me curious, What does "might be pulling a Colleen Rooney" refer to??

You've made me curious, What does "might be pulling a Colleen Rooney" refer to??
Literally the biggest scandal in the UK this year, perhaps even decade.

Coleen Rooney is a footballist's wife - Wayne Rooney, formerly of Everton, Manchester United, DC United and England. Suspicious of who was leaking stories about her to the national press, she started posting fake things on Instagram, but limiting the number of people who could see it...

Rebekah Vardy is also a footballist's wife - Jamie Vardy, of Leicester City and England.

It was bigger than Brexit, than the Duke of York possibly being a nonce, that thing with the pig's head...

Last edited:

Coleen Rooney is a footballist's wife - Wayne Rooney, formerly of Everton, Manchester United, Los Angeles Galaxy and England. Suspicious of who was leaking stories about her to the national press, she started posting fake things on Instagram, but limiting the number of people who could see it...

Rebekah Vardy is also a footballist's wife - Jamie Vardy, of Leicester City and England.

It was bigger than Brexit, than the Duke of York possibly being a nonce, that thing with the pig's head...

It's... Rebekah Vardy's account.
:lol: Ok. Now I finally understand what this meant.

Re assets being "PS5 ready", it's really not going to be that big a leap in performance, I don't think the change in performance will necessitate any sort of night and day change in quality of assets. The leap from PS4 Pro to PS5 won't be anything like the leap from PS3 to PS4:
PS3 0.23 TFLOPS
PS4 1.84 TFLOPS = 8x PS3
PS4 Pro 4.2 TFLOPS = 2.3x PS4
PS5 ~10 TFLOPS (speculated) = 2.4x PS4 Pro

Teraflop numbers have no meaning when comparing different/upgraded GPU architectures. The latest rDNA Navi-based AMD GPUs have a much more efficient design than the GCN1.0 AMD cards in PS4/Pro. 1 teraflop of the GCN GPU in PS4 is considerably slower than 1 teraflop of AMD's new Navi GPU. This is why you were never able to compare AMD teraflop numbers to nVidia teraflops, it was pointless. An 11 teraflop nVidia 1080ti still outperforms a 12 teraflop AMD Vega 64 by 30%, and the Vega 64 released a year later. The 12tf Vega 64 actually performs more closely to Nvidia's 9 tf GTX1080 for majority of games.

Also consider the parts actually being used between the two generations. Sony had no idea PS4 would be this popular after coming from the failure of the PS3, they focused on making an affordable console by using low-end hardware to cut down on cost and AMD's hardware offerings back then was not great compared to its competition. The Jaguar CPU was already super outdated even at its release since it was created for low power consumption for laptops rather than performance, and the GPU used was also on the lower-end. AMD has made strides since 2013, and the PS5 will be based on the latest desktop Ryzen 3700 that is a massive leap over the laptop Jaguar cores, and a GPU that AMD still hasn't even unveiled yet until next year with hardware ray-tracing. Expect the PS5 to be at least $500.

A simple increase in resolution isn't the same as having assets actually modeled and created specifically for PS5 though. I.e. just look at ported ps2 tracks in higher res textures to GT5/6 compared to tracks specifically made for ps3.

Considering some of the track models actually still uses building assets from the PS3 era, it's definitely not PS5 standard. Alsace circuit literally uses a gigantic flat billboard to imitate a forest of trees. No amount of resolution is going to make that less obvious.

You can already do great texture work on current consoles, it's just a matter of texture filtering to see them at high quality at a distance. Next-gen consoles will be much more capable than just better textures or effects. Vegetation makes up the majority of these tracks, and the vegetation on Spa in GTSport simply in higher-res won't stand a chance against scanned-in 3D vegetation using photogrammetry.

andrew-hamilton-forest-01-01.jpg
Those are the kind of assets that can be switched out with ease. The actual 3D track modelling is the time consuming aspect.

PD probably have high quality assets available. But by the nature of racing games, the need for a flawless 60fps, and current machines limitations. These are the areas they cut back on. Grass textures in a game like GT Sport are way behind, for example, Death Stranding. Neither can you underestimate the impact graphical effects and filters will have to create a more filmic image.

Spa for example doesn’t need a great deal to bring it upto PS5 standards. Some of the older launch tracks. Probably a little more.

I'll take Laguna Seca over Silverstone every day of the week. I hope there are many other tracks that appear before Silverstone. ;)

Agreed. Imola is one of those high priority tracks that many people would like to have added. If we believe that elevation changes are part of the track's personality, I'd have to also retract any statements I made about Road America & vote to include Road Atlanta ahead of it. And it would be cool if the PD/Michelin partnership helped to make that happen.

I doubt you will see that fidelity in GT even on PS6 tbh, it's not a priority for them.

I personally am not grading the game on how realistic the trees look. The quality of the cars & tracks is what most of us are interested in. The background scenery needs to be good enough not to draw criticism, but not so realistic that it wins some kind of award.

My favorite USA track. I'll start up my complete N-class time trials again if this is true.

I might have to consider joining you on that, for some of the cars anyway. The track has been special to me ever since walking round it in 2001 (that hill up to the corkscrew is bloody steep!). Plus I'm now at the point where I've got everything under 10m credits (at least until the november update... :lol:).

So... After Sony learned the hard way that being expensive was stupid they created a cheaper follow up to great success..

And they will now launch a expensive follow up because?

I think not. The clever thing would be two versions, a cheaper DD version with limited storage (expandable) and other options removed and a pro with UHD blu-ray VR support etc and more storage.

Same GPU and CPU

The console specs are already confirmed, 8 core 16 thread Zen2 CPU, and a navi-based GPU with hardware raytracing which hasn't even been unveiled yet, plus a custom SSD solution. Do you really think a console coming out next year with these parts is going to cost $400? It's not more expensive "just because." The games designed won't be bottle-necked by needing to also run on low-end hardware, they will want to have the same PSVR experience regardless of SKU, VR alone will require a lot of processing power.

We're in a time where people spend $1000 on a new phone. An extra $100 to the price but with powerful hardware isn't going to hurt when you're buying a product that's going to last you 7+ years. $500 is actually very affordable for the hardware you're getting especially with a hardware ray-traced accelerated GPU.

Last edited:
ddm
I think this is the biggest thing saying "they're not coming", lol.
There's no group for DP/LMP2 cars, and there was only ever space left for the Gr.2 cars.
Having LMP2s compete with LMP1s would be daft - because it's not just about whether they could be BoP'd to match - it's about what they are and how they're seen, and while LMP1s and Group C represent the coolest, fastest cars: LMP2s are just "some close-to-spec race that happens to be on the same track as those cool LMP1 cars".
Even Forza doesn't make this mistake.

(And no, the new DPis don't count as "the coolest, fastest cars" either.)

I doubt there's ever been any plans for more groups since Gr.2 (I mean, what would a P2 class be called anyway?).

It would be nice to get a full rework of all the Groups (N100 split for there to be an N50, optional "no Vision car" - basically LMP1, Gr.C, GT3, GT4 - groups for Gr.1, Gr.3, Gr.4, an actual FF Gr.4 group, electric groups, two Gr.X VGT groups, '60s Le Mans group, P1 GTR / Zonda R group, all the other suggestions people have made).

But the game is creeping closer to end-of-life. If any of this was coming, it would've appeared earlier on, or we'd have heard from PD about it. Changes to groups would affect the FIA series (whereas new tracks are kinda just a thing that happens), so I feel they'd have to announce those changes before making them.

Anyway. Laguna Seca. Yay.
At Shanghai last week the TS050 LMP1 wasn’t much quicker than LMP2 as it was running with full success ballast.

Coleen Rooney is a footballist's wife - Wayne Rooney, formerly of Everton, Manchester United, Los Angeles Galaxy and England. Suspicious of who was leaking stories about her to the national press, she started posting fake things on Instagram, but limiting the number of people who could see it...

Wayne never played for LA Galaxy. It was DC United in MLS. He will be playing for Derby County in January. She was quite clever by the way!

Those are the kind of assets that can be switched out with ease. The actual 3D track modelling is the time consuming aspect.

PD probably have high quality assets available. But by the nature of racing games, the need for a flawless 60fps, and current machines limitations. These are the areas they cut back on. Grass textures in a game like GT Sport are way behind, for example, Death Stranding. Neither can you underestimate the impact graphical effects and filters will have to create a more filmic image.

Spa for example doesn’t need a great deal to bring it upto PS5 standards. Some of the older launch tracks. Probably a little more.

Adjusting height fields for the landscape is easy and there are automated tools for it, and tracing over laser-scanned point clouds is not difficult. Even Kaz/Polyphony said the trees and vegetation are the most difficult part to model.

https://www.gtplanet.net/how-gran-turismo-is-made/

Because of their natural complexity, the most difficult things to model in the environment are trees. Kazunori said it is a special field and requires a lot of creativity from the 3D artists; they have to make the trees as realistic and believable as possible without creating too much load on the console’s limited resources.

And majority of these tracks are pretty much all trees and vegetation regardless of where you turn or look, that is what takes a lot of extra time given the difficulty and how almost every corner has a unique looking set of trees/specific species the modelers have to account for. They also require a lot of trial and error before you find the right balance for visual quality and performance. There is literally no time for them to be creating 2 different quality of assets, one a 2d billboard optimized for GTSport and another a fully 3d model for future use. If they want to be competitive for next-gen, they will end up redoing a lot of these assets. Or possibly they'll just port these tracks over in higher-res and not care if they look inferior to tracks made specifically for PS5. Pretty certain other racing devs will make use of the advantages of outsourcing and redoing their assets from scratch though.

Irony is since we dont have Imola some people will make a dumb assumption that is not in GT due to 2 F1 drivers dying there.

So having Imola is "disrespectful". I kid you not some people made another dumb assumption that the Carerra GT does not appear in racing games due to Paul Walker dying which is not the case.

Man, what are we supposed to complain about now?

I’m planning on complaining about the lack of a dragstrip, only because I keep seeing half the rooms in the lobbies be drag races (and I wonder how that works exactly). A famous dragstrip would be fun or even better, Sonoma or, oh I don’t know, Portland (home race!) that have a dragstrip built in.

And I still want my 2CV. They’d make a brilliant one-make race (at least I hope so cuz I love them!)

I’m planning on complaining about the lack of a dragstrip, only because I keep seeing half the rooms in the lobbies be drag races (and I wonder how that works exactly). A famous dragstrip would be fun or even better, Sonoma or, oh I don’t know, Portland (home race!) that have a dragstrip built in.

And I still want my 2CV. They’d make a brilliant one-make race (at least I hope so cuz I love them!)

I always assumed they did standing starts and raced until the end of the first sector to get accurate times. I have never been in a drag room to find out though. :)

Last edited:
I can't wait to try this track in VR. You really don't understand how significant elevation change is on tracks if you're racing in inferior flat screen mode. In VR, it's like a whole different track and makes tracks like the Nordschliefe much more interesting because you really see how parts that look flat are actually steady climbs, or steady descents. Not to mention how steep many parts of a track really are. It's brilliant fun and I think it'll let us see how crazy the corkscrew REALLY is. And the corkscrew seems crazy even on a flat screen so just imagine racing it in VR, let alone real life.

Also a ton of fun is driving the epic Ferrari 330 P4, and Ford GT Mk. 1 in VR at Le Mans and Willow springs (another track where undulations are far more evident in VR) especially after seeing the masterpiece, Ford v Ferrari. If you all haven't seen it yet, YOU MUST. It is so good. Best movie I've seen this year and better than any other racing movie I've seen, including Rush (Senna's still the GOAT documentary, and the GOAT driver as well).

RIP Ken Miles, Carroll Shelby, and Ayrton Senna and all legends for that matter

Côte d'Azur.

THIS X100000000000000

I want Monaco, or any REAL city track back in GT. Hate not being able to drive all the epic city tracks that were in GT. I'd sell my left nut just for Madrid. I'm best at city tracks so it kills me that there isn't any. Much like it kills me that we barely get to race the Merc F1 or Karts.

Also, imagine MACAU!!!!! One can only dream...

I watch the Macau GP last night. It was so cool. Sophia Floersch is so bad ass for doing that race again only 1 year after the craziest crash ever to not result in a death. Instead of saying man up, one could say Sophia up

Last edited:
We used SSRX as a post-main event muckabout race. Mach40s turned up to max (max power, min weight, RSS), two laps, no holds barred. The car can't reach its top speed outside slipstream, so if you fall off the back you're toast unless someone else does and you can work together (then screw them in the last corner), and the leader is severely compromised, so it's two laps of waiting to see who'll blink first and if that was too soon or not. At 300mph. It's tense, and it's a lot of fun.

Incidentally, if anyone thinks "Hey, this thread about a new track is great, but what it really needs is for everyone to know what other tracks I want, and some cars I've thought about", we have two Suggestions forums instead. Feel free to - after searching to make sure no-one else has already suggested them (which is likely) - create a thread with each suggestion in there.

I once did a silly race with some guys from my league on SSRX. We ran the Tomahawk for a couple of laps, with boost set to strong.

It was insanely stupid, but being on partychat together made for quite a few laughs :D

Irony is since we dont have Imola some people will make a dumb assumption that is not in GT due to 2 F1 drivers dying there.

So having Imola is "disrespectful". I kid you not some people made another dumb assumption that the Carerra GT does not appear in racing games due to Paul Walker dying which is not the case.

Name one professional track where a racer hasn’t died.
Senna made the decision to drive a broken car so it was partly his fault.

Last edited:
Back