Hood (Bonnet) view

• Thread starter Lalalalala
  • 102 comments

What view would you prefer?

• Chase Cam (behind the car)

• Cockpit (interior with steering wheel shown)

• Roof Cam (above the car)

• Bumper Cam (nothing from the car shown at all)

• Hood/Bonnet Cam (camera approximately at where the wipers are, showing the hood/bonnet only)

Results are only viewable after voting.
The thing is, the way my wheel is set up the screen is about where the windscreen would meet the bonnet. So just seeing bonnet through it is actually fairly representative if I was in a real car with just a little box to look through at the same distances.

I mean, unless you're playing with your TV on your lap. Maybe you are, in which case you're totally right.

But what about interior induced blind spots created by A pillars and the roof? They're completely lacking unless you're driving an open cockpit. The bonnet cam is still sitting too far forward regardless of the monitor location.

We could dicker about the 'true view' forever, but we all have our preferences.

But what about interior induced blind spots created by A pillars and the roof?

They're outside the field of view of the monitor. You might as well be talking about the blind spots caused by the B and C pillars.

We could dicker about the 'true view' forever, but we all have our preferences.

That's oddly magnanimous from someone who was mocking others for "driving with their legs in the engine compartment".

I know this is a little off topic, but.

I played GT6 yesterday with a proper, 3-screen and cockpit setup.
3x 46" monitors all at about 1 metre (3 feet for you backwards people out there) from my head
the cockpit view in that scenario is awesome.
Also, using in-ear headphones with a full-face helmet on (just for s***s and giggles) added some fun too.

The physical wheel covers your view of the in-game wheel, and you get the proper sense of speed from the side monitors in your peripheral vision.
You have to physically move your head around to see out the mirrors and look at the dash as you do in a real car.
So the immersion and realism felt very very good.
Although I still don;t like the way the camera moves around the interior in relation to G-forces. As we don;t have any g-force feedback through the seat to feel the car sliding. you're reliant of the FF in the wheel, but actually seeing the car move in relation to the road to know if it's sliding.

Actually using the Hood view (which I always prefer) felt very strange in that scale.

Tested GT Sports at the 24h Nürburgring Weekend and the cars still had this weird Kind of Roof view as if you are driving a bus.

Was a real letdown as I would like the bonnetview more as I have a full sim-rig. So for me it's unrealistic to have another Cockpit infront of my Cockpit.

Bonnet view or a more adjustable field of view in Cockpit cam would be cool, but wasn't present in the Beta of GT Sports at the Nürburgring.

Is there a REAR VIEW MIRROR in the bonnet/hood/roof cam this time? that is my primary gripe about it above all else in GT5/6. How they could leave that out is such an over-site to me.

i dont want to have to keep flashing my rearview button while racing to see what's happening behind me. Why is it in bumper cam and not in hood/bonnet/roof cam view? let us turn it on/off as option too for those that may not want it.

I used hood camera often in GT4. The only drawback was lack of rear-view mirror. As far as I'm concerned, that addition in GTS would be more than enough.

As far as chase camera is concerned, I think the current position is too far from the driver. It can be useful if you're driving a massive car, but usually I prefer when car is much closer.
iu

Nevertheless, it is of great importance that camera angle does not affect sense of speed.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't have a different sense of speed with different driver views, unless you mess with perspective, and I'd rather no one did that. You're always going to get the greatest rush from bumper cam, least from chase. That's just perspective.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't have a different sense of speed with different driver views, unless you mess with perspective, and I'd rather no one did that. You're always going to get the greatest rush from bumper cam, least from chase. That's just perspective.

Any change in view is a change of perspective. What you wrote doesn't make sense.

Oh, I meant sense of speed when different angles of same camera are being considered. Chase camera can be set under several angles and I'm afraid some of them could affect sense of speed, even if little. I think this was a problem in GT3.

I get the greatest rush from cockpit view because it's the most immersive which is why I've used nothing else for going on 2 years now. Bumper cam, chase cam etc. always reminds me that I'm playing a game which is the opposite of what I want when I strap into my cockpit.

I think what a lot of people here fail to see is this.

Different people's hardware setups, GREATLY affect how Immersed you feel in the game.

If some of you could quit squabbling like seagulls over a single chip,
have a look around as see there's a whole bucket of chips on the ground that you can all have what you're after.

i.e.
Personally, with my setup,
DFGT Wheel, 2ch amp with bookshelf speakers a very low chair at my computer desk with a 24" monitor that's 600mm (2 feet, [for you knuckle draggers]) away from my face.
The Hood view feels faster and more immersive in most cars. (I know some cars it's like the Mr BEan image above, I just don;t bother driving them anymore)

But Johnny might have a triple screen setup, where (as i posted earlier) the in-car with wide FOV does feel excellent.

For guys with only a controller, I can see how using bumper-cam would be ideal. you don;t have any "car-like" hardware around you, so getting your face as far into the action is where it's at.

(To me) It would feel strange to be strapped into a full cockpit with a wheel, but not be able to see any of the car in front of me using bumper cam. but plenty of guys do it.

Personally, Chase cam has never had a place in GT, unless you've got B-SPec Bob in the seat, and you're just supervising what he's doing.

I wish we will have 900 degree interior wheel rotation in GT Sport

It just feels odd seeing the wheel in the interior can only move 180 degrees...

Is it really hard to implement this feature?

Even in RFactor you can see more than 180

DFGT Wheel, 2ch amp with bookshelf speakers a very low chair at my computer desk with a 24" monitor that's 600mm (2 feet, [for you knuckle draggers]) away from my face. The Hood view feels faster and more immersive in most cars for me. (I know some cars it's like the Mr BEan image above, I just don;t bother driving them anymore).
Fixed that for you.
But Johnny might have a triple screen setup, where (as i posted earlier) the in-car with wide FOV does feel excellent.
Single and I use an FOV calculator to calculate a mathematically correct FOV for my setup.

Latest Posts

Back