Horizon 3 Officially Unveiled - Welcome to Australia!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 548 comments
You have to remember that Apex is a version of Forza 6 and Forza 6 was never designed with Windows 10 in mind and hence is not particularly well optimised. FH3 and FM7 will have been designed with cross play in mind and hence should run better on Windows 10.
Good point, Forza 6 Apex was kind of a tech demo as in it's more to show of what Forza would look like on PC, but like you said, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 7 will be more polished for PC. Either way, it should be good 👍

The Xbox One Slim can do 4k gaming?

In one of the latest youtube vids, I heard the guy say he played it on a motion simulator with a 65" 4K TV. The regular X1 can't do 4K, so why would this guy be playing on a 4K TV.

I may need to check my sources again - fairly sure it can do 4K movies AND games, but that's it. No additional processing power, just higher resolution native 4K TV support.

As far as I understand it will upscale to 4K gaming wise but will stream 4K media and play UHD Blu-Ray.

Oh, is that correct? Seems my info was off on that. Upscaling to 4K is still a pretty good deal IMO. But dem' 4K TV's gonna burn a hole in your pocket!

In one of the latest youtube vids, I heard the guy say he played it on a motion simulator with a 65" 4K TV. The regular X1 can't do 4K, so why would this guy be playing on a 4K TV.

I may need to check my sources again - fairly sure it can do 4K movies AND games, but that's it. No additional processing power, just higher resolution native 4K TV support.

If you're talking about the InsideSimRacing video then I believe it was on a PC.

You have to remember that Apex is a version of Forza 6 and Forza 6 was never designed with Windows 10 in mind and hence is not particularly well optimised. FH3 and FM7 will have been designed with cross play in mind and hence should run better on Windows 10.
True. From my point of view, it now seems like FM6:A was basically spun off of the development process for FH3, basically. They were in the process of getting their engine to work on the PC, strapped some of FM6's assets to what they got and released it. Thus, it might very well not be indicative of FH3.

Still, going by what recent games have been demanding in terms of hardware, I'd not bank on a 660 doing delivering a stellar performance, but that is to be expected, I suppose. Time will tell.

If you're talking about the InsideSimRacing video then I believe it was on a PC.
all those big expensive moving & shaking pods were pc
Good point, Forza 6 Apex was kind of a tech demo as in it's more to show of what Forza would look like on PC, but like you said, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 7 will be more polished for PC. Either way, it should be good 👍
turn10 is not a company that throws something out without thoroughly working on it. this should be apparent by now.
if you remember back when microsoft started doing the very first tech demos of w10dx12, turn10 was there with a orange mclaren p1 on screen explaining how they achieved the "static 60".
of course optimizations will happen, turn10 is one of the best game factory after all, but its not like apex was not a fully polished piece of software. even with the "beta" denomination

Just had another thought pop into my head about drone mode while watching one of my Horizon 2 replays. Has anyone mentioned whether or not drone mode will be a camera option during replays? I mean, real time is amazing, but making it an option for replays would be amazing, because the current camera angles kinda...suck.

I noticed the steering wheel was not present on screen in the ISR demo video. Are we finally going to be able to adjust interior view settings?

No, he mentioned that's something the developers did just for the E3 demo on the sim rig. He did ask PG if this is going to be in the game, which was met with a "maybe".

"8 mins of Horizon 3 gameplay"... title is along those lines, its in two parts. That's the source.

Edit: nope, sorry that's not the title. It's the E3 video with John Segal (from Inside Sim Racing) driving. He mentions the no-wheel cockpit view was only in the demo as it was running from a PC.

Last edited:
The 4k demo was running, from what I gathered from the ISR video, on Acer Predator desktop PCs. The Predator G6 is running a single GTX980ti... That rig doing 30fps at 4k without optimized drivers and, likely, a not 100% polished might give us an idea of the required hardware :)

The 4k demo was running, from what I gathered from the ISR video, on Acer Predator desktop PCs. The Predator G6 is running a single GTX980ti... That rig doing 30fps at 4k without optimized drivers and, likely, a not 100% polished might give us an idea of the required hardware :)

So, apparently Horizon 3's recommended specs should be much less absurd than Apex's. I'm pleased yet unsurprised, considering Playground wanted to optimize the game for PC since it launches in the same day as the Xbox version.

So, apparently Horizon 3's recommended specs should be much less absurd than Apex's. I'm pleased yet unsurprised, considering Playground wanted to optimize the game for PC since it launches in the same day as the Xbox version.
Pretty much. Or rather, I don't expect FH3's recommended specs to be even more ridiculous. Which is good news already, considering the game is going to be much bigger than Apex.

I'm still expecting Horizon 3 to have high system requirements, seeing as Horizon 2 runs at 30FPS on the XB1 whereas FM6 runs at 60FPS.

Expecting it to have high requirements is reasonable, I think.

Apex' requirements were far beyong high, though :lol: Requiring a 970 for 60 FPS at 1080p is quite something. Since equal hardware got us only half the FPS on Horizon compared to Motorsport, I, for one, was a little scared of what Apex' requirements were heralding for FH3.

Just imagine if a 970 only got you 30 FPS at 1080p :lol:

Doing stupid math here... 4k is roughly four times the amount of pixels compared to 1080p, so 980ti = 120FPS @ 1080p? Which, then, means that a GPU half as powerful ought to yield 60 FPS? Dunno :lol:

If I went out and got good and drunk I could perhaps justify getting a Geforce 1070 for FH3 but £600-£700 for a 1080 is a no-no for me.

I guess I'm actually Team Wallet™, first of all :lol:

I'll see what I can do with the gift money I'll get. But since this year it's my 18th birthday, I guess I'll have enough money to build a mid/high-range PC, or, if I'm lucky enough, something truly terrific.

I really do hope that they have more aftermarket decals this time in H3. In FH2 (played on the 360) the amount of aftermarket decals is low.

I really do hope that they have more aftermarket decals this time in H3. In FH2 (played on the 360) the amount of aftermarket decals is low.
To me it depends on if the decals are relevant to your car e.g. Rocket bunny decal for rocket bunny bodykit. Otherwise I've always thought it silly sticking on manufacturers that have nothing to do with anything that's on your car.

The thing is that it costs money to put an aftermarket parts company's name in a racing title. As neat as it would be, I don't think Turn 10 feel the need to pay for that when the livery community is capable of making their own HKS and Yokohama stickers.

The thing is that it costs money to put an aftermarket parts company's name in a racing title. As neat as it would be, I don't think Turn 10 feel the need to pay for that when the livery community is capable of making their own HKS and Yokohama stickers.
That's a good point.

Back