Horizon Zero DawnPS4 

I just got this game yesterday and it is absolutely amazing! There's definitely some elements of Assassin's Creed and Elder Scrolls, chiefly the former. Aloy is a likeable, but not flawless character, the story is pretty great so far, and the photomode is absolutely amazing.
If I had one complaint, it's that Rost was killed too early, he was a great character. If Guerilla Games wanted to make a prequel, he'd be a great protagonist; unless later on it's revealed that he was actually terrible. Which happens a lot in games like this

I wonder, were you able to hear Rost's story from the Matriarchs? You don't hear the story until later on though when you leave a certain vault.

I wonder, were you able to hear Rost's story from the Matriarchs? You don't hear the story until later on though when you leave a certain vault.
No, that's why I said my idea would probably be ruined. I'm on the mission to find Olin. I am very curious about it though, but I don't want it spoiled.

The new control settings in patch 1.20 is awesome.

Really changes the game.

@2:00 with the scrappers, A easier way of downing them and joying it, Its with the Shadow hunter bow With Fire mods 50% X3 Just hit those
suckers
with 3 fire arrows and enjoy as they burn to death in less then 5 seconds

One thing i learned in my 350 hours and still playing is how to easily downed each machine :D

Video, Burn baby burn

Also works great with
snapmaws
sawtooth
ravagers
and pretty much any machine that's not resistant to fire

And its a blast to use on the thunderjaw :D watching that big boy burn to death is the best:D

Fun With Shell-Walkers

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to kill them quick or easy. I just wanted a long battle blowing parts off slowly. Really wanted big battles but its more fun blow parts off slowly at a time.

Its no fun if you kill things so quickly.

So I bought a used copy of the limited edition about a week ago, and while I consider the game overall great, and will post a lengthier review later on, I just have to get one immensely frustrating experience out of my system. The following doesn't contain actual story spoilers, rather it serves as a reminder that the open world aspect in this game is mostly pointless.

What is the point of having an open world, when the player isn't encouraged to, nor rewarded for exploring? Why do I say this? Well, I just spend some 90 minutes fighting my way up a mountain. A venture that culminated in an epic battle with a Stormbird that left me with just a single arrow and a few slingshot grenades left, and no crafting or healing items. It was a real relief to finally have overcome what felt like a huge challenge, and I was excited to find out what these machines had been guarding. So I ventured on, realising that I had stumbled across another ruin, although of much grander scope than previous ones, my excitement levels rose.

I climb the cliffside, only to reach a wall, maybe 2-3 meters tall, with no way further up, although I can see what appears to be the actual entrance. I suspect that it might be story related, and resorted to Google to figure out if it could really be true that my hard work had been for nothing, and that I would have to leave empty handed for now. And indeed, you have to initiate a story related mission for a ladder to magically appear, allowing you entry into the ruin. Utter BS. Completely ruins the atmosphere of the game when just about every significant area is locked off until you initiate a specific quest.

When I do get around to playing the main quest, it won't be particularly interesting, as I won't get the experience of fighting through the preliminary battles that makes finally entering the ruin feel rewarding. Just plain bad game design. This is not the only ruin blocked until you progress with the story, and it's really hurting the quality of the game.

Frankly, I feel cheated.

So I bought a used copy of the limited edition about a week ago, and while I consider the game overall great, and will post a lengthier review later on, I just have to get one immensely frustrating experience out of my system. The following doesn't contain actual story spoilers, rather it serves as a reminder that the open world aspect in this game is mostly pointless.

What is the point of having an open world, when the player isn't encouraged to, nor rewarded for exploring? Why do I say this? Well, I just spend some 90 minutes fighting my way up a mountain. A venture that culminated in an epic battle with a Stormbird that left me with just a single arrow and a few slingshot grenades left, and no crafting or healing items. It was a real relief to finally have overcome what felt like a huge challenge, and I was excited to find out what these machines had been guarding. So I ventured on, realising that I had stumbled across another ruin, although of much grander scope than previous ones, my excitement levels rose.

I climb the cliffside, only to reach a wall, maybe 2-3 meters tall, with no way further up, although I can see what appears to be the actual entrance. I suspect that it might be story related, and resorted to Google to figure out if it could really be true that my hard work had been for nothing, and that I would have to leave empty handed for now. And indeed, you have to initiate a story related mission for a ladder to magically appear, allowing you entry into the ruin. Utter BS. Completely ruins the atmosphere of the game when just about every significant area is locked off until you initiate a specific quest.

When I do get around to playing the main quest, it won't be particularly interesting, as I won't get the experience of fighting through the preliminary battles that makes finally entering the ruin feel rewarding. Just plain bad game design. This is not the only ruin blocked until you progress with the story, and it's really hurting the quality of the game.

Frankly, I feel cheated.

I'm curious, what area was it? Sounds familiar

After 69 hours, I finally got the Platinum trophy. Pretty good game. Gorgeous world, an ok story, and the combat vs machines is brilliant.

On the minus side, all the characters are annoying, especially the ones in Nora territory, and the combat vs humans is abysmal. The latter problem is only made worse by just how much combat there is against human opponents. Also, the lack of water effects is disappointing, and stands in contrast to the otherwise superb graphics. There's no ripples or splashes when giant machines enter water, and rain falls through the roof of buildings same as it does outside.

There are a few problems with the story.

First off, the machines really don't seem like they'd be capable of defeating the human race. It's interesting that the few war machines you do encounter in the game, are also some of the easiest to fight, with the Death Bringer being so utterly useless, one can't help but wonder how on earth the military would've had any problems with dealing with it, especially given that they'd have access to better weaponry that we do. They talk a lot about how they can't win because the machines replicate faster than they can destroy them, but they never seem to discuss going after the source of the machines? That they managed to develop something as complex as Gaia in less than 16 months is just pure BS. Simply can't be done, and I don't buy it for a second.

Aloy is an awful character. She's the ultimate Mary Sue, capable of taking down everything thrown at her with no problems what so ever. Her one redeeming moment was late in the game when she stopped people from worshipping her. She always jumps to conclusions, and it never comes back to bite her in the butt. Additionally, it annoys m how she has knowledge on how to work and ID various technology despite having literally no previous experience with it. It never feels natural or earned.

I found myself continuously annoyed whenever a villager or trader would say something, or when Aloy would repeat a specific phrase whenever I approached a specific robot. Yeah, I get it. Snapjaws can bite a Sawtooth in half. I don't need this info every damn time I encounter one!

I've previously talked about how I couldn't enter a specific ruin on account of it being quest locked. Thing is, I had already cleared the route to the ruin, which meant that when I got to the quest, all the enemies were gone. So what should have been an epic and continues journey up a mountain, turned into a casual stroll to the ruin. The thing is, this issues actually applies to every significant ruin in the game. They're all locked behind quest barriers, so there is little to no reason to actually explore anything.

There have been complaints about the feminist angle of the game, and while I don't think it's as bad as some say, it is rather obnoxious at times. Overall, I do like the game. But it would have been a much better game if not for the political agenda, the atrocious human combat, and the open world hindering the pacing and coherence of the story.

In case anyone wants to read a more in-depth article about the feminist BS of Horizon, this is a pretty good read. It compares it to NieR Automata, which is very similar to Horizon in themes and setting, yet doesn't feel the need to force a certain political agenda.
http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/0...er-automata-feminism-vs-egalitarianism/25077/

Last edited:
After 69 hours, I finally got the Platinum trophy. Pretty good game. Gorgeous world, an ok story, and the combat vs machines is brilliant.

On the minus side, all the characters are annoying, especially the ones in Nora territory, and the combat vs humans is abysmal. The latter problem is only made worse by just how much combat there is against human opponents. Also, the lack of water effects is disappointing, and stands in contrast to the otherwise superb graphics. There's no ripples or splashes when giant machines enter water, and rain falls through the roof of buildings same as it does outside.

There are a few problems with the story.

First off, the machines really don't seem like they'd be capable of defeating the human race. It's interesting that the few war machines you do encounter in the game, are also some of the easiest to fight, with the Death Bringer being so utterly useless, one can't help but wonder how on earth the military would've had any problems with dealing with it, especially given that they'd have access to better weaponry that we do. They talk a lot about how they can't win because the machines replicate faster than they can destroy them, but they never seem to discuss going after the source of the machines? That they managed to develop something as complex as Gaia in less than 16 months is just pure BS. Simply can't be done, and I don't buy it for a second.

Aloy is an awful character. She's the ultimate Mary Sue, capable of taking down everything thrown at her with no problems what so ever. Her one redeeming moment was late in the game when she stopped people from worshipping her. She always jumps to conclusions, and it never comes back to bite her in the butt. Additionally, it annoys m how she has knowledge on how to work and ID various technology despite having literally no previous experience with it. It never feels natural or earned.

I found myself continuously annoyed whenever a villager or trader would say something, or when Aloy would repeat a specific phrase whenever I approached a specific robot. Yeah, I get it. Snapjaws can bite a Sawtooth in half. I don't need this info every damn time I encounter one!

I've previously talked about how I couldn't enter a specific ruin on account of it being quest locked. Thing is, I had already cleared the route to the ruin, which meant that when I got to the quest, all the enemies were gone. So what should have been an epic and continues journey up a mountain, turned into a casual stroll to the ruin. The thing is, this issues actually applies to every significant ruin in the game. They're all locked behind quest barriers, so there is little to no reason to actually explore anything.

There have been complaints about the feminist angle of the game, and while I don't think it's as bad as some say, it is rather obnoxious as times. Overall, I do like the game. But it would have been a much better game if not for the political agenda, the atrocious human combat, and the open world hindering the pacing and coherence of the story.

In case anyone wants to read a more in-depth article about the feminist BS of Horizon, this is a pretty good read. It compares it to NieR Automata, which is very similar to Horizon in themes and setting, yet doesn't feel the need to force a certain political agenda.
http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/0...er-automata-feminism-vs-egalitarianism/25077/

Meh. While I enjoyed my time with the game, I have no desire for any DLC. What really annoys me about this is that this will undoubtedly come with more trophies, which means my 100% trophy completion for the game will appear as less than that. So frustrating....

...What really annoys me about this is that this will undoubtedly come with more trophies, which means my 100% trophy completion for the game will appear as less than that. So frustrating....
Let the completionist desire out of you and be free...

I hope it's released soon, I got the game two weeks ago and hit level 50 yesterday and am just getting to the finale (I think) ...... I don't want it to end.

I hope it's released soon, I got the game two weeks ago and hit level 50 yesterday and am just getting to the finale (I think) ...... I don't want it to end.
My guess is late Autumn, but that's it, just a guess. I'll need until then to get the main game completed as I'm caught by the photo mode bug and have only just got out past the Embrace gates.

The team at PlayStation sent me a mail this morning congratulating me on getting a platinum for Horizon: Zero Dawn. This is even more impressive since I've never even played the game. :lol:

Anyway, they sent me a code with an exclusive platinum owners theme, so if anyone wants it - you can grab the theme below.

MEJD-T2NN-K9M2

The team at PlayStation sent me a mail this morning congratulating me on getting a platinum for Horizon: Zero Dawn. This is even more impressive since I've never even played the game. :lol:

Anyway, they sent me a code with an exclusive platinum owners theme, so if anyone wants it - you can grab the theme below.

MEJD-T2NN-K9M2
Haha that's hilarious! I nearly took the code, then I realised that I probably want to earn it myself, but thanks for being generous man!

Platinum themes are a thing?!?! I've never received anything like that, despite having my PlayStation E-mail account set to enable promotional material, and I have a good number of Platinums. There's even one for Bloodborne, my all time favorite game :drool:

I need to contact customer support about this. I must claim what I've earned!

Back