Horizontal FOV of Bumper/Cockpit Cam View

• Thread starter LarjGun
  • 36 comments
What are you going to achieve ? Playing on projector to get 1:1 realism ?

yes that's right azrilnazli - i have a projector image that has a width of 2.6m and want to work out how far away to sit to give the most realistic point of view based on the locked FOV in gt sport.

yes that's right azrilnazli - i have a projector image that has a width of 2.6m and want to work out how far away to sit to give the most realistic point of view based on the locked FOV in gt sport.

FOV in gts is around 55 degree fixed, so use FOV Calculator to accurately place your simulator from the wall.

Cant remember the url, so just google it

FOV in gts is around 55 degree fixed, so use FOV Calculator to accurately place your simulator from the wall.

Cant remember the url, so just google it

thanks azrilnazli - yes i know the calculation but could not find what the fixed FOV was.

that link that super_gt posted has a discussion about it being either 55 or 80 - i think the conclusion is that the vertical FOV is 55 and horizontal FOV is 80

if horizontal FOV is 80 then i need to sit around 1.5m away from my 2.6m width projection image

The FOV in cockpit is not locked. It can be changed in the options during a race (ie. while driving). The seat position can be moved foward and backward, to include the A pillar or to remove the A pillar.

Maybe it's just my HDR TV and Pro then, but I def have a larger viewing angle when moving the seat position backwards.

Too close and curbstones aren't visible at a certain distance.. so it isn't just the seat position changing, but the entire viewing angle. Otherwise only the cabin scenery/details would change, and the area outside the vehicle would remain stationary, but it doesn't.

Or maybe your talking about something else.

Maybe it's just my HDR TV and Pro then, but I def have a larger viewing angle when moving the seat position backwards.

Too close and curbstones aren't visible at a certain distance.. so it isn't just the seat position changing, but the entire viewing angle. Otherwise only the cabin scenery/details would change, and the area outside the vehicle would remain stationary, but it doesn't.

Or maybe your talking about something else.

yeh it's two different things really .....

- knowing what the locked FOV angle that the game uses helps you to adjust your actual seating distance in your room from the screen such that it matches what you would experience the outside world to be like in real life as you drive (eg. when you look at an apex as you drive it's looks exactly as it would in real life with the same 1:1 scale etc)
- when you adjust your "in game" car seating position it allows you to see more or less of the inside of the car and more or less of the track outside - but it does not alter your "perception" of the outside world as you drive

..... not sure if explained that very well :)

yeh it's two different things really .....

- knowing what the locked FOV angle that the game uses helps you to adjust your actual seating distance in your room from the screen such that it matches what you would experience the outside world to be like in real life as you drive (eg. when you look at an apex as you drive it's looks exactly as it would in real life with the same 1:1 scale etc)
- when you adjust your "in game" car seating position it allows you to see more or less of the inside of the car and more or less of the track outside - but it does not alter your "perception" of the outside world as you drive

..... not sure if explained that very well :)

Ahh. Gotcha'.
Makes sense.

Pics would be great when you get it set up correctly 👍

ok i'll post a pic :)
20180902_203907.jpg
20180902_204104.jpg

Wow that looks great.
Moly shipoopie...
Making me rethink my current configuration. I've got a spare room too.

Looks great dude. Seriously.

Wow that looks great.
Moly shipoopie...
Making me rethink my current configuration. I've got a spare room too.

Looks great dude. Seriously.

Thanks guys I'm really enjoying how immersive it is.

Hoopzah - I would definitely go for it if you have the space. It's fairly easy to set up.

Care to share your projector setup ? I got a spare room and a spare ps4 :D

Sure.

It's a BenQ w1070 1080p projector. I'm not sure this model is readily available these days as got it a few years ago.

I would look at reviews of current 1080p projectors - I think there is a benq w1050 at richer sounds for around £450

I have a pc, ps4 and Xbox one all going into the projector (via HDMI hub)

I've also got a Bluetooth transmitter coming out of the projector 3.5mm audio jack that is picked up by a Q acoustics media M4 sound bar that is sitting along the bottom of the projection screen - the transmitter and sound bar both support the newish aptx Bluetooth standard which means that the transmitted audio is near CD digital quality - really great sound out of it. You can just about see it if you zoom in the first photo I attached.

Any other questions just let me know

Can somebody calculate for me, 49 inch..whats the correct value on how far should I sit

on the basis that the horizontal FOV angle that gt sport uses is 80 degrees, for a horizontal screen width of 49 inches you should sit 29 inches away

Hey, I know this is an old thread but Iv'e just come across it and think its AMAZING!!!! that looks to be the best thing next to VR ( which we will prob never get for racing games we play anyways lol). Anyways, I just recently learned frame rate is pretty important when it comes to your lap times making you faster pretty much everywhere on the track meaning the T.V/you think you are at "X" on the track when the game thinks you are actually at "X" and your timing is off a little. I suppose it makes sense I guess just never gave it too much thought to be honest. with that being said, how does that compare to say a good tv with good frame rate? I would hate to invest in such a awesome experience just to be let down and loose every race I enter (not that I don't already lol)

how does that compare to say a good tv with good frame rate? I would hate to invest in such a awesome experience just to be let down and loose every race I enter (not that I don't already lol)

I don't have any issue with frame rate soda can Dan

I don't have any issue with frame rate soda can Dan
awesome. I think I just spent another thousand dollars lol in top of the $500 wheel,$500 pedals.......ect. I thought sim racing was supposed to be cheaper than the real thing lmfao

Back