How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off Graphics and Dynamic weather on PS4

How will GT7 run on Ps4!

• Total voters
That's most likely the PS4 install size, not a single cross generation PlayStation title has been the same size on both platforms.

The Kraken compression on the PS5 conbined with the SSD has seen sizes reduce by as much as 70%.

I don't think GT7 will reduce by that much, but it certainly will be the smaller of the two.
It’s currently listed as 110GB for PS5 version as well.

It’s currently listed as 110GB for PS5 version as well.

It is indeed (well on some regions, not all) and is most likely a placeholder.

As I have already said, no cross generation title released has had the same install size on both platforms, with PS5 titles being between 30% and 70% smaller. Due to two factors, one being how high speed SSD's function, meaning you don't need to duplicate assets for streaming purposes, and the other being the Kraken compression that is unique to the PS5.

As such two options exist, either the PS5 install is 110GB and the PS4 one is bigger, or the PS4 install is 110GB and the PS5 one is smaller. Given we know what GTS clocks in at, the 110GB is most likely to be for the PS4 version.

Dirt 5 being a racing title is perhaps our best/only guide right now and that clocks in as follows:

• Dirt 5 – 50.9 GB PS5 vs. 63.3 GB PS4

I'm dismissing the third option of them being the same, as it would mean PD having to actively ignore two key features of the PS5's core architecture and actively work around using them for no good reason at all.

As I have already said, no cross generation title released has had the same install size on both platforms, with PS5 titles being between 30% and 70% smaller. Due to two factors, one being how high speed SSD's function, meaning you don't need to duplicate assets for streaming purposes, and the other being the Kraken compression that is unique to the PS5.

As such two options exist, either the PS5 install is 110GB and the PS4 one is bigger, or the PS4 install is 110GB and the PS5 one is smaller. Given we know what GTS clocks in at, the 110GB is most likely to be for the PS4 version.

Dirt 5 being a racing title is perhaps our best/only guide right now and that clocks in as follows:

I'm dismissing the third option of them being the same, as it would mean PD having to actively ignore two key features of the PS5's core architecture and actively work around using them for no good reason at all.
Completely agree it’s probably a placeholder, just think it’s weird if they know one size and not the other. They both can’t be placeholders because why bother specifying if that was the case

Completely agree it’s probably a placeholder, just think it’s weird if they know one size and not the other. They both can’t be placeholders because why bother specifying if that was the case
Sony is just inconsistent as a whole around install sizes on their websites. Some regions have sizes, some don't, some titles have sizes, others don't.

As such I tend to wait until we actually get validated install sizes from the titles themselves before giving many of them much credence.

Yeah gonna be interesting to see it running on the PS4, Worrying that 2 weeks from release no footage whatsoever has been seen of the game running on the PS4, Not that I'm bothered managed to get a digital ps5 so roll on the 4th :)

People keep forgetting Driveclub when it comes to dynamic time of day and weather. They have much better windscreen rain animations too. Granted it's at 30 FPS but still.

GT7 will look just fine on PS4. Small details will be sacrificed here and there compared to PS5 version but unless you stop and compare frame by frame you likely wouldn't notice.

Last edited:
People keep forgetting Driveclub when it comes to dynamic time of day and weather. They have much better windscreen rain animations too. Granted it's at 30 FPS but still.

GT7 will look just fine on PS4. Small details will be sacrificed here and there compared to PS5 version but unless you stop and compare frame by frame you likely wouldn't notice.

It's not a case of forgetting Driveclub. It's a 30 FPS game. It has twice as long to do work than a 60 FPS game. There is no direct comparison between them because of that.

Yeah I mean, 30 fps is entirely double the rendering budget of 60 fps, but Drive Club does look good.

There will be differences between PS4 and PS5 implementations, beyond only resolution. Hopefully most of them will take a trained eye to detect. But a PS4 game still looks good enough, especially if it doesn't really need to target 4k proper.

The main issue is the (graphical) features that the PS5 hardware makes possible that may require modification to not compromise appearances and performance on PS4.

Luckily PD probably went through many, many prototypes to get GT on PS4 in the first place, so they will have a good idea where to look to make GT7 work. Especially if they developed both versions in parallel and put in the legwork to find the optimisations.

It's not a case of forgetting Driveclub. It's a 30 FPS game. It has twice as long to do work than a 60 FPS game. There is no direct comparison between them because of that.
I know, I even said it in my post. But IMO Driveclub also has lots more eye candy than GTS/7. Things like spectator movements, particle effects, leaves and loose scraps flying around. Also the windscreen effects I mentioned and much bigger environments than GT's generally sterile real circuit locales. So even though it's only at 30 FPS, I think overall it is just as taxing on the system. And it is a launch title to boot. I'm sure PD have learnt a lot more on how to optimize things on PS4 in all the years since then.

I'm worried about a lot of things in GT7, but graphics is low down on the list. It's the one thing they're consistently good at so have faith :) And even if it turns out bad, it still won't be GT5 Alto Works Standard car level of bad :lol:

Last edited:
Don't get all the people that think driveclub looks good, I downloaded it to on the ps5 and it looks **** by todays standards, it got deleted straight away, I forgot how bad that game was

Don't get all the people that think driveclub looks good, I downloaded it to on the ps5 and it looks **** by todays standards, it got deleted straight away, I forgot how bad that game was
Because it does look good.

It looked stunning for a title that released as early in the PS4 life cycle as it did.

That it still stands up today, particularly its weather, without a PS4 Pro patch, let alone a PS5 one is more than testament to that.

AFAIK DiRT 5 is smaller in size on PS4, so is Horizon Forbidden West. Makes sense given lower quality assets take less space and if there is not much saving being done on data duplication. Kraken compression is not unique to PS5. It has been multiplatform since original April 2016 release with great performance on the PS4. Given Sony has got license for both Ooodle Kraken and Texture for PS4 and PS5, it is available as an option for PDI to use without additional cost.

What is unique to PS5 is that it has dedicated I/O unit that supports Kraken decompression which gives incredible data throughput with the SSD. That will be mainly useful for next-gen games architected around that but GT7 is a cross-gen game so would only benefit from quicker loading of things. One would expect GT games to be largely made of unique assets and maybe they keep builds pretty much the same if it does end up taking the similar amount of space with both versions to keep things simple and compatible. Not long until we find out how accurate that info is.

AFAIK DiRT 5 is smaller in size on PS4, so is Horizon Forbidden West.
[...]
DiRT5 IS smaller on PS5 than on PS4 so are most games released for both systems, HFW is an exception because of the much more detailed assets in the PS5 version, everything has high res textures on the PS5, the environment is way more detailed, there are way more plants. If PS4 would be able to run the PS5 version I bet it would be around 130-150GB on PS4 but they managed to lower PS4 file size not by compressing the data, but by simply using low quality assets or not including some assets at all.
The difference between the PS4 and PS5 version of HFW is humongous, and goes way beyond simply lowering the resolution and framerate on the last gen console. It almost looks like both versions were completely built from the ground up, designed to get the most out of both generations, most probably they just worked on the PS5 version and had a separate team port everything to PS4 and lower the quality so that it's still playable on that hardware.

This link shows file sizes for PS5 games compared to PS4 (in that order, PS5 file size - PS4 file size):
As you can see in most cases (HFW being the only exception so far, AFAIK) PS5 game sizes are usually smaller than PS4 game sizes, especially if they use the same assets and if PS5 is simply higher res/fps and better anti aliasing etc

Last edited:
DiRT5 IS smaller on PS5 than on PS4 so are most games released for both systems, HFW is an exception because of the much more detailed assets in the PS5 version, everything has high res textures on the PS5, the environment is way more detailed, there are way more plants. If PS4 would be able to run the PS5 version I bet it would be around 130-150GB on PS4 but they managed to lower PS4 file size not by compressing the data, but by simply using low quality assets or not including some assets at all.
The difference between the PS4 and PS5 version of HFW is humongous, and goes way beyond simply lowering the resolution and framerate on the last gen console. It almost looks like both versions were completely built from the ground up, designed to get the most out of both generations, most probably they just worked on the PS5 version and had a separate team port everything to PS4 and lower the quality so that it's still playable on that hardware.

This link shows file sizes for PS5 games compared to PS4 (in that order, PS5 file size - PS4 file size):
As you can see in most cases (HFW being the only exception so far, AFAIK) PS5 game sizes are usually smaller than PS4 game sizes, especially if they use the same assets and if PS5 is simply higher res/fps and better anti aliasing etc

When did a PS4 turn into a Series X? DIRT5 is over 4GB smaller on PS4 than PS5.

When did a PS4 turn into a Series X? DIRT5 is over 4GB smaller on PS4 than PS5.
Sorry I thought that was PS5-PS4, anyway: "So far, every native PS5 game has been smaller in size than its PS4 counterpart"

But DiRT5 is indeed smaller on PS4 apparently, And it's way more than 4GB

Screenshot_20220221-124038_Chrome.jpg

But file sizes also differ per region. Probably because of added or removed language support.

Anyway Dirt 5 is a bad game imo, a step backwards just like pcars3.

I hope we're not comparing it to GT7... But tl;dr not gonna read every single post on this forum.

Btw is it kraken AND oodle textures on PS5, or are they the same? Cause PS4 might be using kraken but I guess that must be a software based version of that where in the PS5 I thought I understood it was hardware accelerated

Last edited:
My first thoughts with cross-gen where how was it going to be possible for PD to go backwards (we've seen this with other games not so successfully), since they where developing GT7 for the PS5, but seems things are the other way round at some point early on PD knew there was going to be developing for cross-gen and continued to develop GT7 on the PS4, using the GT sport engine.

Regards to the dynamic time/weather PD probably had plans to implement it in GT Sport at the beginning, but at the time of GT Sport release it wasn't possible, moving on 3-4 years later it's became possible to push the PS4 a little further.

At the moment where still in the dark with how it's going to look on the PS4, I don't think it will be as bad as first thought, though the compromise is that the GT7 on the PS5 won't be as good as it could have been if it was developed as a PS5 exclusive.

Back