How many cars do you think that GT6 includes?

• Thread starter Qeki
  • 160 comments
They have to be remade in higher quality as some point or we lose them, unless you're suggesting it'll be ok to have PS2 models in a 2020 game on technology several levels ahead of them.

Yeah, but we're talking about GT6 here, not a 2020 game, unless you really believe GT6 will release in that year.

All I'm asking for GT6 (NOT a 2020 game), and if it is for the PS3, is that we get to keep most of the standards. By that, I mean that they should at least return as more polished versions. They don't need a detailed cockpit view either.

Sorry, but there is just too much potential cars to DRIVE to lose just for the sake of better looking quality... that to me, isn't even that much of a bother. If we're talking next gen (and beyond), then yes, it would be.

So they're not unfinished, then?
Or am I still missing something?

They are, they were pulled right out of GT4, in many aspects you are restricted compared to premium models.

I remember watching a interview with Kaz, on Youtube. He explained that standard cars in GT5 are as a result of "Lack of time". Unfortunately, I can't find it.

Last edited:
They are, they were pulled right out of GT4, in many aspects you are restricted compared to premium models.

I remember watching a interview with Kaz, on Youtube. He explained that standard cars in GT5 are as a result of "Lack of time". Unfortunately, I can't find it.

They're not unfinished, the feature compatibility was never even intended for the Standards. They are there as a legacy offering to pad out the inevitably meagre car list (something I wished they'd done for GT3). The "lack of time" refers to a lack of time to create more Premiums only, not to provide features on the Standards, so that still doesn't make them unfinished.

Without the Standards, you'd still have only had 200 Premiums. So if you mean that the game doesn't have more cars because, at launch, some of the ones in development weren't finished, then yes, I guess the cars were unfinished. But those cars weren't in GT5.

I hope they don't get every car finished before GT6 rolls out, otherwise we'd never see it.

Remember that GT3 downgraded the amount of cars from GT2. GT5 would have been just fine if they followed the same steps that they used for GT3; only using premium models, even if it results in fewer cars. I just treat the standard cars as a bonus, and I admit there were a few standards i did enjoy driving, even if they were standard

Remember that GT3 downgraded the amount of cars from GT2. GT5 would have been just fine if they followed the same steps that they used for GT3; only using premium models, even if it results in fewer cars. I just treat the standard cars as a bonus, and I admit there were a few standards i did enjoy driving, even if they were standard
👍

And I don't use the Standards nearly as much as I do the Premiums.

They're not unfinished, the feature compatibility was never even intended for the Standards. They are there as a legacy offering to pad out the inevitably meagre car list (something I wished they'd done for GT3). The "lack of time" refers to a lack of time to create more Premiums only, not to provide features on the Standards, so that still doesn't make them unfinished.

Without the Standards, you'd still have only had 200 Premiums. So if you mean that the game doesn't have more cars because, at launch, some of the ones in development weren't finished, then yes, I guess the cars were unfinished. But those cars weren't in GT5.

I hope they don't get every car finished before GT6 rolls out, otherwise we'd never see it.
The current standard cars were added in because they didn't have enough time to make other premium cars? So your saying that the big list of standard cars we have right now were going to be excluded from GT5, if PD had more time?

Die hard GT fans will be fans to the very end I guess. They are GT4 cars. They are not finished GT5 PS3 2011 virtual cars, Period.

Nobody said they were. They're finished GT4 PS2 2004 virtual cars.
The current standard cars were added in because they didn't have enough time to make other premium cars? So your saying that the big list of standard cars we have right now were going to be excluded from GT5, if PD had more time?

Isn't that what you were saying? I knew they were going to do it, they practically telegraphed it with GT:HD.

Isn't that what you were saying? I knew they were going to do it, they practically telegraphed it with GT:HD.
That's what you said?

I was saying that is was "Lack of time" that gave us the standard cars.
Surly, PD wanted to turn our current standard cars into Premium models if time wasn't a issue.

I don't think PD would have ditched the current standard car list to make other premium cars. If you seen Kaz say that. Could you link it?

That's what you said?

I was saying that is was "Lack of time" that gave us the standard cars.
Surly, PD wanted to turn our current standard cars into Premium models if time wasn't a issue.

I don't think PD would have ditched the current standard car list to make other premium cars. If you seen Kaz say that. Could you link it?

You claimed the cars in GT5 were unfinished. Your clarification was the inclusion of the Standards didn't have the full feature-set, so they were unfinished.
I said the Standards were never meant to have those features, so they're not "unfinished", just an obvious concession to the lack of cars otherwise present.

Of course, if PD had had enough time to replace all the cars from GT4 and GTPSP, we'd have had more Premiums and no Standards. It goes without saying. So what exactly is your point?

The standard cars were put in GT5 because their was no time to make them premium. That's why they are unfinished. Kaz said himself. Yes if there was time he would love to turn them into premiums.

The standard cars were put in GT5 because their was no time to make them premium. That's why they are unfinished. Kaz said himself. Yes if there was time he would love to turn them into premiums.

But the Standards aren't unfinished. The Premiums are scratch-built for the most part, not built on the Standards.

So then were PD going to scratch-build another big list of cars, that weren't added in GT5 period? Or going to build the rest of the premiums off the standard cars? Or was the 200 premium cars, and 800 standard cars the original plan? I'm confused.

So then were PD going to scratch-build another big list of cars, that weren't added in GT5 period? Or going to build the rest of the premiums off the standard cars? Or was the 200 premium cars, and 800 standard cars the original plan? I'm confused.

Their intention is to move everything over to Premium quality - 3D modeling being what it is, it's easier to do it from scratch rather than start with an existing lower-resolution mesh. That's what they're doing for GT6, which is what this thread is about.
We're asking how many do we think they'll finish by the time they ship GT6.

The Standards are more than likely going to be abandoned.

using logic from the previous games, the second game on the console had more cars than the first, but gt5 screwed up with the standards so i would say 800 but all premium
or 2000 but all standard (which people would hate and love)

Their intention is to move everything over to Premium quality - 3D modeling being what it is, it's easier to do it from scratch rather than start with an existing lower-resolution mesh. That's what they're doing for GT6, which is what this thread is about.

I know this thread is about GT6, and the question the OP is asking :lol:. Kinda went off topic huh?

Not knowing how long it actually takes PD to make a fully detailed Premium car and how long they have to develop GT6, I'd guess maybe 500. I heard somewhere it took PD three months to develop one premium car for GT5, which I would find very hard to believe.

Griffith500
Nobody said they were. They're finished GT4 PS2 2004 virtual cars.

I think unfinished is the wrong word, but they are without doubt not at the current gen level and i believe he means that the standard cars are not on the current gen level.

Last edited:
i find it funny that iracing has about 30 cars and they span a wide variety of motorsports, it takes gt5 1000 cars to do the same thing, imagine it iracing had at least 100 cars, that would be mindblowing. gt6 needs to be more cautious about what cars they include because almost half the cars in gt5 are useless because they are out performed by faster models, so 500 cars wont be that bad if they are smart about choosing which ones.

Where did you find out that their intention for GT6 will be for an ONLY, premium content. The only intention that I caught from his previous interviews is that they're not really going to bother much with the current standard roster, in terms of making them premium from scratch, not necessarily ditch them for the next game.

I'm not saying GT6 should have standards nor that it should be premium only. I just want some clear indication that GT6 will only consist of premium quality cars.

If your case is right, there goes hopes of all my favorite standard cars returning and a roster of at least 1000 cars. I believe 500 premium cars including the ones in GT5 should be a fair number.

It's not so much how many cars should GT6 include, but more like... how many cars should it take to build GT6 into a great game? Should GT6 feature a small amount of cars that are still as varied and as fun to drive? Should GT6 feature a large number of cars so that it doesn't seem like you're racing with and against the same cars over and over again? From a car front, GT6 needs an identity. GT5's identity in cars was more along the lines of letting people know PD DOES listen to its fans. A big point was in the featuring of marques like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and companies like that; back when most people thought PD was too chickens:censored: to feature any big-name companies.

What is GT6's identity with cars? Will it be an evolution of GT5's model, or will it be sort of a refinement of GT5's lineup? My biggest car issue with GT5 was the treatment of Standard and Premium cars. If you build a racing game with loads of cars, at least stand by your work and make all of them as insatiable and desireable as possible. I couldn't give a rat's ass if my Standard Jaguar XJ220 isn't as pretty-looking and detailed as the Lamborghini Murciélago. If I want to do a close-up shot with a "Standard" car, I don't want to have to be a mile/kilometer away from the car taking a picture of it. If it's in the game, I want to take any kind of close-up shot or any kind of things I can do with a Premium car that Standards cannot.

I guess you can say I'm thinking more of quality than quantity. I just want to see as many cars as possible without feeling like the same cars are being used over and over again. It begins with identity and continues with execution. How PD does in both departments remains to be seen in establishing GT6's lineup of cars.

gt6 needs to be more cautious about what cars they include because almost half the cars in gt5 are useless because they are out performed by faster models
I'm not sure what to make of this. If you mean some Miata models are slower/heavier than other Miata models and shouldn't be included, this is stepping on the toes of some car owners who would like to see their particular make in the game. In my own case, I drive a single turbo Supra MkIII. Should it be ditched because Toyota made a higher performing stock twin Turbo Supra MkIII? I don't think so.

If this is along the lines of another whine about the many thousands of Skylines in GT games - and I'm addressing this to that crowd, I think it's about time you guys get over something so meaningless. No one forces you to buy them. They aren't in the way of anything. They don't pad the car count much at all. But this is a popular rant, and it seems that you're not cool unless you repeat it emotionally. I guess I won't be cool then. ;)

Anyhow, I expect around 500-600 cars. I'm more concerned about the track count. While I don't expect Standard cars to return, as they're doing just fine in GT5, I do want a huge number of tracks available. According to Lucas Ordonez, this is something Polyphony is going to be giving us in GT6. In order to do this though, I'm guessing that the Standard tracks will be returning, because it takes as much as two man-years to model a Premium location. And of those locations, I want ALL the classic GT locations, like Red Rock Valley and Grindelwald, along with new courses both real and fantasy. PD are very good at creating fantasy race courses, and I'd love to see a few new ones.

What they should do is have all gt/tcs as race mods... all they'd have to do it program a couple of aero kits and change the weight then they could have a livery editer so no cars look alike, and the online dealership could be between players and if you like the car and livery, buy it. :D every car a gt a tc anda street car.... awesome, right?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to make of this. If you mean some Miata models are slower/heavier than other Miata models and shouldn't be included, this is stepping on the toes of some car owners who would like to see their particular make in the game. In my own case, I drive a single turbo Supra MkIII. Should it be ditched because Toyota made a higher performing stock twin Turbo Supra MkIII? I don't think so.

i understand exactly what you mean and funnily enough what you said about people wanting their model of car in the game almost kills the reason to hate the 20+ skylines:sly:

700-800 Premium-types.

GT6 won't have Standards.

Im not telling you this. (seeing as how I can't predict the future. :sly:) Think of it as an outcome based on the pretence that PD has some sense.

GT6 won't have 1000+ cars.

Last edited:
I think unfinished is the wrong word, but they are without doubt not at the current gen level and i believe he means that the standard cars are not on the current gen level.

Which goes without saying.
Where did you find out that their intention for GT6 will be for an ONLY, premium content. The only intention that I caught from his previous interviews is that they're not really going to bother much with the current standard roster, in terms of making them premium from scratch, not necessarily ditch them for the next game.

I'm not saying GT6 should have standards nor that it should be premium only. I just want some clear indication that GT6 will only consist of premium quality cars.

If your case is right, there goes hopes of all my favorite standard cars returning and a roster of at least 1000 cars. I believe 500 premium cars including the ones in GT5 should be a fair number.

I don't know that they definitely intend to not have Standards next time around. I personally hope there won't be the "need" for them, and I was glad they included them in GT5. I've already said I expect well over 700 cars in GT6, so there shouldn't be too many casualties if they do scrap the Standards.

However, I think it's pretty obvious that, going forward, the aim is for all cars to be of Premium quality. That will mean some cars on the current list probably will not be reproduced for GT6 in any form. This is not unprecedented - there are still cars missing from GT2, for example.

If the next-gen games really will use the same assets, that bodes well for them being able to make up those deficiencies even in the first game on PS4.

As long as they are all premium, and there aren't multiple models of the same car, I would be fine with 1000+

If Kaz see's the light and stops with the multiple duplicates of the same cars, I suspect around 800 all fully modelled.

Hopefully no standards. It would be nice to see the number of premiums double to around 500. It takes time to do those premiums however, and I wish PD could outsource like Turn10 does.

Hopefully no standards. It would be nice to see the number of premiums double to around 500. It takes time to do those premiums however, and I wish PD could outsource like Turn10 does.

They have more modelers now than they did for GT5, spread across two different offices in two different parts of the country. They're probably all right.

Back