How many cars do you think that GT6 includes?

• Thread starter Qeki
  • 160 comments
They have more modelers now than they did for GT5, spread across two different offices in two different parts of the country. They're probably all right.

True, but PD’s modeling method takes longer than Turn10’s. The cars look better as a result, imho, but there’s no getting around that fact that it’s slower. That’s why I was a bit conservative with the prospective car count.

We’ve still got under 300 premiums in GT5, even after DLC, I think. Getting another 200+ on GT6’s reduced(we hope) schedule would be nice, even though some cars we want could likely be missing.

How many premium models are there in GT5 again? I'd guess - if there would only be premium models - a bit more than twice the amount of premiums in GT5.

How many premium models are there in GT5 again? I'd guess - if there would only be premium models - a bit more than twice the amount of premiums in GT5.

I think there were 200-something at launch. Probably on the low end of 200 though. I doubt the DLC has brought the total over 300 yet.

Where did you find out that their intention for GT6 will be for an ONLY, premium content. The only intention that I caught from his previous interviews is that they're not really going to bother much with the current standard roster, in terms of making them premium from scratch, not necessarily ditch them for the next game.

I'm not saying GT6 should have standards nor that it should be premium only. I just want some clear indication that GT6 will only consist of premium quality cars.

If your case is right, there goes hopes of all my favorite standard cars returning and a roster of at least 1000 cars. I believe 500 premium cars including the ones in GT5 should be a fair number.

yeah. In an interview Kaz said the complete opposite of what Griffith posted lol (google).

They are focusing on making new cars instead of re-modelling standards, and said nothing about "standard" content in gt6.

True, but PD’s modeling method takes longer than Turn10’s. The cars look better as a result, imho, but there’s no getting around that fact that it’s slower. That’s why I was a bit conservative with the prospective car count.

We’ve still got under 300 premiums in GT5, even after DLC, I think. Getting another 200+ on GT6’s reduced(we hope) schedule would be nice, even though some cars we want could likely be missing.

I don't think anyone has bothered to do a list, but not counting "duplicates" and fantasy cars there's probably less than 150 premiums including DLC. Not complaining just putting it in perspective.

More than modelling time I think the biggest problem is they have to play catch up, and for that the modelling team should be 4x not just 2x.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has bothered to do a list, but not counting "duplicates" and fantasy cars there's probably less than 150 premiums including DLC. Not complaining just putting it in perspective.

More than modelling time I think the biggest problem is they have to play catch up, and for that the modelling team should be 4x not just 2x.

Mercifully, they tried to keep ‘duplicates’ down to a minimum, at least the ones people usually complained about, like the standard Skylines, Miatas, S2000s, Imprezas & Evos. We don’t even have each Miata generation.lol

Playing catch-up with a slower modeling process will hurt PD, but that’s just their method for modeling. It would be good if they could outsource their modeling work, and just put the real PD modelers in place as quality control so that holes don’t appear in the side of cars and stuff, like in Forza.

If PD adds easy duplicate cars like the Ford GT, which means they add the Ford GT '02 Concept, as well as the 2005 and 2006 models, I think they can launch with 600 cars

We don't really know that their modeling method truly is slower, and, even if it is, we don't know precisely why it's slower. 6 months is most likely a sort of maximum time, and most cars probably fall in under this time. However, with 60+ modelers, that's still 10 cars per month, whereas if you take the 5 years between GT4 and GT5 and the 200 Premiums, it's only about 3 cars per month.

That probably means they weren't modeling at the Premium level for all 5 years (and indicates a change of plan at some point) and there were almost certainly fewer modelers back then, too. So extrapolation from GT5's car count isn't best helpful, except when you consider the number of staff currently on hand. At 10 cars per month, that's another 360 unique cars by November 2013 (which is my expected arrival date for GT6).

Combine that with the ability to only have to "modify" a few cars and to build several similar cars (e.g. the early and later S14 Silvias) from the same starting point, and only changing the bumpers etc. (by branching the process at the appropriate point); similarly for regional variations and trim level differences (i.e. drivetrain choices). So, just going by GT4's list of extra cars that could use existing Premium cars (which probably does have too many duplicates at 300, so we'll take the arbitrarily conservative action of halving it), we could have upwards of 200 + 360 + 150 = 710 cars.

That's with the conservatively high figure of 6 months per car, and the conservatively low (certainly for the last year or so) figure of 60 modelers.
Promising.

@ avens: thanks for actually reading my posts... :rolleyes:

with 60+ modelers, that's still 10 cars per month, whereas if you take the 5 years between GT4 and GT5 and the 200 Premiums, it's only about 3 cars per month.

That probably means they weren't modeling at the Premium level for all 5 years (and indicates a change of plan at some point) and there were almost certainly fewer modelers back then, too.
Well, they were modeling tracks too. Just as a reminder, this is what Kaz admitted to concerning how much work each item required:
  • Six man-months for each car
  • Two man-years for each track
  • An unknown amount of time for each Standard update for cars and tracks
Lucas Ordoñez is evidently in on some of the development work on GT6, perhaps as a tester, and he states that GT6 is going to have a crazy amount of race courses available. Even with variations, this probably means a good number of locations, and the likelihood that most of GT's classic tracks will return. I'm hoping they all return. And with information that the track research team is scanning tracks as well as the usual walk arounds, this could drop the time needed to model them by a good margin. And it could mean a surprising number of real world additions to the GT6 course roster...

In any case, I'm praying for peace on Earth and (reasonably) good global economies over the next few years. And of course, it would be nice for a billion or two people not dropping dead from a global famine too - I know, I'm so cheerful. But then, you should have our president. PLEASE TAKE HIM!! :P

True, but my 60 modeler figure was pulled from Kaz saying that 60% of the development time went on modeling the cars, and there were about 100 employees (well, 120, but they can't all be development staff).

They pulled off a similar miracle with GT4 after the disappointment that was GT3, in terms of content. I suppose it depends on what they deem a good balance to be.

I actually like the variety in duplicates sometimes but only if its justified by "oh this is a Nismo aftermarket version" or "this R34 VTec •II came out the following year" blah blah. I dont mind it as long as its justified in the text.

But i think 600 premium as main models and 300 standard as Nismo, Spoon, Opera and etc older versions.

I actually like the variety in duplicates sometimes but only if its justified by "oh this is a Nismo aftermarket version" or "this R34 VTec •II came out the following year" blah blah. I dont mind it as long as its justified in the text.

But i think 600 premium as main models and 300 standard as Nismo, Spoon, Opera and etc older versions.

Then, strictly speaking, those wouldn't be duplicates as such. ;)
It's a hard line to draw, but it would help if the presentation of the cars were improved, so that minor differences are absorbed into "options" in the dealership.

Griffith500
It's a hard line to draw, but it would help if the presentation of the cars were improved, so that minor differences are absorbed into "options" in the dealership.

Yeah i completely agree. People who arent japanese production enthusiasts need a better presentation to understand all the minor nuances and transitions between these models.

Griffith500

Completely agree.

I tend to believe the duplicates will never go away or be classified as "options". They inflate the car total for each game, and car total is actually a pretty valuable selling point.

People who arent japanese production enthusiasts need a better presentation to understand all the minor nuances and transitions between these models.

Oh, and if they do end up keeping duplicates (like I believe they will) then the above post is very true. People wouldn't make fun of the duplicates so much if they actually understood the minor nuances that separate them from each other.

Last edited:
I really hope they don't overdo the number of cars available like in gt5. I like variety, but some of the cars aren't really worth getting. I like the variety of cars that were displayed in gt2 where a good portion of cars are worth buying, even racing.

If they don't include the standard cars, I'm guessing somewhere between 350-400 cars. That includes padding the car count with different variations. It's unreasonable to expect 200 new, unique premium cars. I'm expecting PD to make some old standard cars premium, but most classics won't make the cut. I think we'll get 50 old standards converted to premium, 50 completely new, unique cars and 50-100 variations on existing models where they can recycle most of the work.

True, but my 60 modeler figure was pulled from Kaz saying that 60% of the development time went on modeling the cars, and there were about 100 employees (well, 120, but they can't all be development staff).

They pulled off a similar miracle with GT4 after the disappointment that was GT3, in terms of content. I suppose it depends on what they deem a good balance to be.
February 2007
"They have a crew of 40 people that are going to spend the next six months building our car for the game. That's the amount of detail", said Craig.

Dec. 2007
How long did it take to model all the cars?

Yamauchi: A designer spends roughly 6 months in average. 50 cars are 300 months. That's 25 years. The tracks are a lot more work. It's longer than a year each. We have 30 people working on the tracks.

October 2009
Yamauchi said that within the total time of game development, modeling cars has consumed 60 percent of available resources. Without doubt, they have wanted to give this issue top priority, and it was revealed in the space occupied by the modeling division, well over half the total team.

At the end of development, late 2010, there were about 140 people working at PD.

Three years later, how could Griffith500's numbers not have been an uber under-calculation? Some of you guys are soooo negative. I wasn't going to say a figure until I pointed these out. My guess is that GT6 will have OVER 9,000!!! cars. Well, more like 700-800 cars.

Realize that at the start of development they didn't have a full 70-80 people modelling the cars. And realize that even if GT6 is made for the PS4, the detail of the cars and tracks won't increase. They're at their limits.

I remember reading numerous articles that explained PD had 40 modelers (it was an article about PD modeling the Art Morrison Corvette.)

I also recall it takes one modeler 6 months to create a car. So, that's 2 cars/ person/year.

Let's assume they now have 50 modelers. 50 modelers X 2 cars/year = 100 cars/ year.

GT5 launched with about 233 unique cars (not including RM's). In November 2012, 2 full years will have passed since GT5's release.

100 X 2 = 200 more cars. Unique car count would now be 430.

Assuming GT6 releases in November 2013, that's about 70-90 more cars (since nearly 1 MORE year would have passed.)

Final count = About 515.

Assumes that GT5 included every car that had been modelled at that time. Also assumes that the number of modellers and rate at which they produce cars remains the same. Doesn't take into account the easy variations that can be made out of the cars modelled.

It looks like the minimum will likely to be 500, however it could be 600, but unlikely to be more than 700 - unless we are treated to several GTRs, MX5s ... etc!

I find the numbers you guys are coming up with astonishing. 700+ Fully detailed premium cars? We have a better chance of them giving us a free back massage with every purchase. Seriously though. You'd be lucky if there was 500 max.

In all seriousness, I do expect 1000+ cars, with no more standard premium split. I except all prems from GT5 will be imported into GT6, and most standards will be upgaded to the GT6 standard (which means smoothing the model, enhancing textures, increasing poly count on the mesh). Taking all this in to account, I guess approximately 2000+ cars including variants, with 1300+ being unique. That would make sense.
Having said that, this is PD, and if they can give us just 400 fully detailed cars, I'd still be happy.

haha you might not want to set your hopes up THAT high!

Naturally xD
But that's taking into account 200 Skylines :P (so now 1800)
then take into account 100 MX-5s (1700)
Add the doubles and triples of cars (1400)
so it's not too bad :P

Back