I might have a son in January and I want to name him

• Thread starter peterjford
  • 86 comments
Best to go for a name that isn't conspicuous. The names of children say so much about the parents.

...First of all, congratulations, dude. Good luck to you. Second of all, I won't go for a jokey name suggestion.

In my experience, it's a little "easier" for a kid to have a... hmm, easy to pronounce, recognizable name. Ayrton sounds pretty rad, having said that.

Again, good luck man. 👍

Ford Lincoln Mercury

original.jpg

Best to go for a name that isn't conspicuous. The names of children say so much about the parents.
I get what you are saying, I think it is good to have as unique name as possible and not of someone famous.

Out of interest, what do you think this would say about the parents if they were to name the child the following?
Onomatopoeia Antidisestablishmentarianism

I'm not a big fan of naming kids after celebrities to begin with, but I think you should consider that you are thinking about naming your son (assuming of course) after someone who died in a horrific car crash, something he'll be watching on the net within a few years. IMO that's quite a burden to place on a small child.

I'm not a big fan of naming kids after celebrities to begin with, but I think you should consider that you are thinking about naming your son (assuming of course) after someone who died in a horrific car crash, something he'll be watching on the net within a few years. IMO that's quite a burden to place on a small child.
Quite right. Avoid Ayrton, upvote Hovercraft Roadblock.

Step.

It'd be good for a joke on his wedding day. Especially if you never warn him about it and let him know that it's basically the entire reason for his name. It'd be the ultimate dad joke - a 20 year+ setup.

Step.

It'd be good for a joke on his wedding day. Especially if you never warn him about it and let him know that it's basically the entire reason for his name. It'd be the ultimate dad joke - a 20 year+ setup.
OP is used to apologising going by his PSN name so he will at least have that covered whatever the name if his child dislikes it in future. Worst case scenario, it is possible to change name. Anyway if his wife reads this thread, she might go what the... and think "Shelby Ford" is now a sensible name for a girl. Sure beats calling him or her "Hovercraft". :lol:

Sure it's okay to name him Ayrton. You may or may not be crazy but that's unrelated to your name choice.

That's why we called our daughter Hovercraft Roadblock.

Good stuff. Does your family name correspond to any piece of marine hardware?

Out of interest, what do you think this would say about the parents if they were to name the child the following?
Onomatopoeia Antidisestablishmentarianism

I don't think someone preoccupied with having a pretentious first name is going to be bothered about using a traditional name to suggest they are nationalistic, but I could be wrong.

Good stuff. Does your family name correspond to any piece of marine hardware?
We don't believe in surnames as it indicates ownership - usually by the patriarchy.

Ayrton.

Is this OK, or am I crazy?

What the future holds no one can really tell. You might name the child 'Ayrton' but that may have no universal 'schtick' in the future, as well, the child may change their name. Names, religions, career objectives - these are more or less place-holders for an individual till they grow old enough to make choices for themselves.

Further reading on the matter here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/name-my-child.283239/

I don't think someone preoccupied with having a pretentious first name is going to be bothered about using a traditional name to suggest they are nationalistic, but I could be wrong.
To me it would suggest they were a bit crazy and/or high and just discovered long words and couldn't think of a name for their kid.

Anyway must be quite annoying if you have a really long name that is hard to spell and uncommon.
Boy: Ayrton
Girl: Senna
Viviane will probably be better than Senna as first name due to laxative link.

Latest Posts

Back