I Need A Ae86! Finders Fee If Located!

• Thread starter MADBOOST
  • 1,078 comments
but for three k and you know someone with a good car like a porsche 944 you could get it for a bit more... just beg lol

I know somebody who has a Porsche 944 . He's parting out the car, and he has another one in his backyard. He's a Porsche nut. I sorta am too, but not a big fan :)

if u really want one u have to look good and hard i got my lift back for $900. most of them dont know what they are talkin about
just keep lookin

Originally posted by MADBOOST
I NEED A AE86! FINDERS FEE IF LOCATED! WHERE DO PEOPLE FIND AE86'S FOR SALE, WILLING TO TRAVEL VERY FAR FOR A NICE ONE OR GOOD DEAL!!! FINDERS FEE

U say that u need an AE86, but do u think u really need it, i 2 respect the AE86, but think 2 urself; it's a 17 year old car. U would b needing 2 maintain it every month! Plus u'll b letting ur car control u. Therefore u'll have a huge hole in ur pockets!
Just b happy with what u have currently

just because a 17 year old car doesnt mean its a bomb and need to be maintained every month

Originally posted by VIPERGTSR01
just because a 17 year old car doesnt mean its a bomb and need to be maintained every month

yeah, some people actually take really good care of their car + some do engine swaps and etc.. its not always that bad. but thinking of a 17 year old car could hurt. you might not be sure if it will last too long or if you wanna keep it as a daily ride.

It sickens me how some of you people who can't even drive bow to the ae86. It's a ****ing car man, not a god.

As for "earning" the right to drive one, give me a break. When you actually drive one, get back to me and give me a report. They're not that exciting.

lolol... sickens...

dude you dont have to let other peoples opinions make you sick... its just what they think... there are people who think the crapiest cars... ie and echo are the ****... i have seen souped up one.. and that sickens me... the trueno is cheap... fuel economic... and it has some character... its responsive... or so my friend says... although i probably would not buy one... i would not be sickened or rather i am not sickened that my friend loved his before he crashed it on a rainy day... people end up loving the weirdest cars... while i yern for my porsche 944... i love the 91-94 eclipse gs...gst... and esp the gsx... ooohhhh

I like them a lot too (as I do all Toyotas :D ) but this forum is just sad. It's like a bunch of hachi-worshiping zombies.

I have driven one; fun to drive but it could definetly use the 4agze. :) As for drifting, give me a 180SX anyday

Originally posted by XenotekTT

I have driven one; fun to drive but it could definetly use the 4agze. :) As for drifting, give me a 180SX anyday

agreed, I'd much rather have a 180sx or 240sx than an ae86, but that's just me. If money was no object, I'd have both, but I Just like the 240sx more.

why the fuk do you guys obsess over my reasons for wanting the car? i agree, this forum is full of intitial d and hachi worshipping kids. i only joined so i could post my want ads. if you must know, i also have a 93 fd that i fuked up drifting, and a POS mx6 for DD. i want a cheap RWD car for a good price, put a couple g's into suspension and motor so i can have a better POS beater that i wont care about fuking up when i drift. also, i been looking for 240's and fc's around the US for a good price, whichever comes my way first. i bought cars from far away b4, not a big deal if its a good deal

all of u complaning about how its 17 years old and will put a hole in your pocket dont have one :mad: .mine is fine and have only replaced the waterpump and the rest were after market modifications. its one of the reasons i bought the car it is cheeper thatn an rx7 or 240(and way cooler):D :

Hello, if MADBOOST hasn't found an AE86 yet, you should listen to what I have to say... or type. People think that the AE86 automatically is a mountain pass, autocross drift machine capable of accomplishing perfect drifts with ease. Initial D made this car seem like that and thats why many people want them. I have an AE86 Trueno here in Japan with a 20V silver-top but I won't get into that. When I first got it in June of 1995, I was severely dissapointed because it was going to cost me thousands of dollars to make the car run with GT-R's and modified Silvia's on the passes. The TRD Group A engine is impossible to find, and if you found it, you must be prepared to spend over $20,000USD just to purchase it. And that engine runs on 120+ octane race fuel. The car won't drift like you think it would without a very good suspension and brake setting. And if you do purchase an AE86. Make sure that it has the Limited-slip differential. I heard that 50% of the U.S. models didn't recieve one. Hopefully this will make you realize that the 86 is not what you think it is. If you want to drift, I highly recommend a 180SX (RPS13) or a regular S13 (not sure on the U.S. model name). They have great balance but I'm not sure if they are sold in the U.S. with the CA18 or SR20. A car I'm positive that will drift stock that's sold in the U.S. is the FC3S RX-7. The turbo models have enough power and the small and compact rotary engine make the weight balance equal. The AE86 has 118hp if I'm not mistaken. The U.S. FC should have more than 200hp (correct me if I am wrong). There's my 2 cents.

-ArC

I can offer a bit of US perspective. Our AE86s put out 112hp, and I'd say closer to 75% of them came with LSD. Which makes a huge difference.

We did get the S13 here in a sense... but not with the good engines. :) We got stuck with a KA24 truck motor. Most of our S13s did not have LSD either. I believe only the top of the line model did, and that model also had ABS and rear wheel steering.

Now the FC3S did have LSD in the TurboII model, but it also has active rear toe suspension, which does odd things for drifting. So it too needs a bit of work. The early ones have about 180hp and the later ones around 200. Some rotorhead will probably chime in with exact numbers but I know those are close. :)

To me, the easiest/cheapest drift car in the US would be either some 80s Camaro/Mustang, or a cheap base model S13 with aftermarket suspension and LSD.

The AE86 with LSD has a good chassis, it just lacks power/torque for long drifts.

Thank you for correcting me CudaMan. Here, all the AE86's have the LSD so my information was inaccurate. I was told by a friend that even the AE85 in the U.S. has the AE86 chassis, just the SOHC 4A-C engine that is horrible and should not have ever been built. I cannot believe that the U.S. made the S13 with the KA24. That is too funny. It's also funny that the U.S. destroyed some of Japan's best machines. The active-toe suspension is in some of the FC models over here. I actually don't know why they put that into a car, but not everyone races so it's not a bad thing overall. I wouldn't have any idea about the 1980's Camaro/Mustang being drifters. I know they have large displacement 8 cylinder engines that produce massive torque. If they could keep a long drift, that would be something interesting to watch. But I can imagine a car like that being VERY hard to keep a stable drift. I remember seeing a Corvette here for the first time, that was a shock. Somebody told me that they saw a Mustang here. Seeing one here, is like seeing a GT-R in the States. A stock AE86 does lack the power to maintain a nice, long, sideways drift. In my Trueno, I used the engine off the AE-101 Levin. It's a 20V silver-top engine that pushes around 160hp stock, but it's transverse mounted (FWD). It has individual throttle bodies which is very neat. The cost to complete the engine transfer was high, but it payed off at the end. I use TRD's Formula Atlantic parts for about 1/2 my engine. It's making around 220ps. I appreiciate the info. The S13 engine is very funny. They have CA18's and SR20's here cheap. Every junkyard in Japan has a high performance car that was wrecked. That's how I got my engine. I wanted to use the 6MT from the Levin, but it's impossible to use that transmission because it was designed for the transverse engine. Once again, thanks.

-ArC

It's interesting to compare differences in the drift scene from our respective countries. We do have Japanese engine importers here, but they charge a lot for engines so JDM engine swaps aren't all that common. Putting a Silvia front end on our S13, complete with SR20 inside, is probably the most common one. Did you know our S13s are all 180sx's up front? Pop up headlights on them all. So the Silvia front end is desirable here.

The 20V 4AGE is fairly well known here too, although it's not easy to put into anything.

The problem is, all these Japanese engines that we didn't get here are not street legal in some states (California for example). If they were, I would have used a Levin 160hp 4AGZE instead of my 145hp AW11 4AGZE for my engine swap.

The Camaros and Mustangs actually are pretty stable when sideways, and because of their massive torque they are able to hop sideways pretty easily. I know a couple guys in Hawaii are using 80s Camaros to drift, and doing fairly well with them.

I have a video of a 2002 Bullitt Mustang (special Mustang with revised springs/dampers, better brakes, etc) drifting an autocross course with great control. Autocross is like gymkhana but with a slightly different style.

Nissan really screwed up the S13 over there... enough said about that. What about the S14 and S15? I understand why people charge a lot for JDM parts. I can get a 1JZ or 2JZ engine with a 6MT here for about $1,500 - $2,000USD (my connections as a mechanic). I checked an importer in the U.S. and he charges about $4,000 - $5,000USD for the same engine. But the JDM has 280ps and the U.S. has 320hp. 20V 4A-GE is a common swap here. I know everything about the AE86 and how to install this engine so it was only costly for me, not challenging. I'm guessing that there's a different law for emissions in the U.S. because I shipped out a 20V 4A-GE off a Levin to a friend of mine in Florida. He drives it everyday. What did you put that AW11 4A-GZE into? Autocross was pretty popular over here, but I'm not into that anymore. That's how I learned to control my car before and after the engine swap. Well empty parking lots also. ;)

-ArC

I always forget to look at signatures. 1987 AW11 with a 4A-GZE... with a good suspension setting, that car can pull amazing drifts. I'm curious, does that engine make the balance any better/worse? I haven't worked on an AW11 in around 2 years, and it had the 3S-GTE in it. A serious conversion I might add. But the sickest conversion I've seen in my life, is a Mitsubishi GTO (not sure of U.S. model name) with a Ferrari Flat-12 cylinder engine in it (I think from a Testarossa or 512TR/512M, that I believe is Ferrari's latest Flat-12). He pulled in the Toyota dealership and all the workers crowded around it. I didn't ask how much it cost to do that, but it looked... sexy. I heard from a friend of mine that he blew his motor racing on the circuit a couple of weeks after I seen it. :(

-ArC

What about the S14 and S15? Well, our S14 still had the KA24 in it. :) I believe, although I could be mistaken, that LSD was more common in the S14. I think the last year was 1998. And there was no S15 in our country.

Each state in the US has their own emissions regulations. Florida recently got rid of their emissions testing altogether. Very cool.

Out here the AW11 came out in '85, and didn't get the 4AGZE until '88. The original engine blew in my '87 so I decided to get something a little more powerful at that time. It made the car harder to drive but that's probably in most part due to the stiff clutch pedal (I'm using the NA tranny so I had to use a high performance NA clutch to hold the power of the SC) and stiff throttle pedal. My GZE has some problems, and the throttle body/linkage is just one of them. It has nearly 250,000 miles (something like 400,000 KMs I think). The GZE does make the car a *lot* easier to drift though. I couldn't hold a drift for very long with the stock 4AGE (112hp, 97 ft-lbs).

Are there a lot of drifting AW11s over there? I've only seen video of one. And I seem to be the only guy on the west coast who drifts an AW11. They don't appear to me to make good drift cars because of their heavy rear weight bias, short wheelbase, slow steering ratio, and lack of torque/LSD. The 3SGTE swap has just started to become the big thing here, but it's a very expensive swap. Too much for me.

There are some photos of me drifting the MR2 at a US drift event a couple months ago: http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/driftfest&page=all They're at the bottom mostly.

Our Mitsu GTO is called the 3000GT.

First off... Nissan of America is a joke. I know you have the Z33 (350Z I think) with the VQ35DE. Nissan let us both down by making it a V6 and natrually aspritated, but it's a very nice looking car and has a great ride quality. Your AW11 looks in great condition, but I understand the problems with your engine. That's a lot of miles to be on an engine that always being pushed. As long as you take care of it, and cherish it :), it will be great in that car. The AW11's with the 4A-GZE's here are modified severely. Mostly by removing unwanted parts. My best friend's interior on his AE86 Levin is very 'race car like.' He has 2 BRIDE seats, a carbon/kevlar instrument panel, the 4 necessary gauges, and a rollcage. No carpet, no music player, nothing! The interior on my AE86 is 100% identical to the trademark Fujiwara Tofu delievery car. The red and dark red (almost brown) two-tone seats. I installed a 13,000RPM tachmeter from a motorcycle I saw at the junkyards and installed it the same way. I wish my engine could utilize that tachometer... Without seeing it, the only thing I can say (that would benefit the performance) about the throttle body linkage is to try one of the quad-throttle bodies setup. They are pretty cheap here, but I can imagine an importer overpricing one. When I first got my engine, I rebuilt it and threw on some Formula Atlantic parts... yes, even the crankshaft (most expensive part). The engine is running with a 110% potential all the time because of my bad driving habits. Anywhere I see that I won't get in trouble or disrespect other drivers... I'll drift or do something stupid. My friend uploaded some pictures on his site. It's a U.S. server so 56K won't have to deal with my Japanese server. Oh and by the way, on your site there's a BNR34 drifting. I've heard of them, but I've never seen them. Do you know if they disabled the AWD system on their GT-R? I see RS-R is hitting America like a storm. Judging by the pictures, especially merik5.jpg, to make drifting a little easier. You should modify the camber so the top of the tyres stick in more than the bottom of the tyres. I'm not sure if it's negative or postive (I work on engines not suspensions).

-ArC

Edited due to links not working correctly.

Hope you enjoy. These pictures are old. I think I didn't have the 20V at the time. I've gotten a lot better so I might buy a camera to show everyone detailed pictures of my car.

Attachments

• ae86 drift.jpg
    ae86 drift.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 181
This is my best friend and I doing stupid stuff. This is way before the 20V due to the fact that I couldn't afford the matching rear wheels at the time.

Attachments

• ae86 on street.jpg
    ae86 on street.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 182
Back