I present to you: Nürburgring Nordschleife

Status
Not open for further replies.
well you don't have to see all 100 of them at once, maybe only 20-30 cars

Even still I believe the "host" of the online events is using their connection to act as the server, they have to receive all the data from all racers even if they're only sending it back out to each person based on what they can see. The host connection would still almost certainly choke.

Not that 100 cars wouldn't be incredible. :) Just extremely unlikely to be possible in this day and age with the average person's connection. 16 is pretty busy for me anyhow, although the ring could no doubt accommodate a lot more.

I have no idea why people want more cars online. In practice, you're generally only racing directly against 3 or 4 people - any more is just "filler". The races I have participated in, where there were 16 cars, always turn out to be out of control & laggy.

The important thing is to have a few drivers on the course that are actually competitive with you - that's what leads to a good race, not knowing there are another 10 - 90 (! :rolleyes:) somewhere way behind, or in front of you.

Woa hold your horses there. The more cars added to the track the laggier the game will get. Im sure you are lucky that they even got 16 cars driving around the track. Yes 100 cars would be nice but I doubt its even remotely possible.

I have already held my horses in the last sentence of my writing :) But now, PD is squeezing PS3 only in graphics. And cell processor has huge multicore parallel power not unleashed yet. Adding the fact that all opponents are calculated only in standard physics, fact that you will not see no more than 16 opponents at once on the track and even that those further away could be rendered in much worse graphics to spare performance for closer ones and you will come to the point where nothing is impossible in GT on PS3. Network code is still weak point but there are programmers to solve it and PD has the funds to pay for their services. We'll see :sly:

LOL you speak as if the PS3 is better than it is. Of course theres things that are impossible on the PS3. Theres a 9 core processor but only 3 cores are unlocked in the PS3 which restricts it greatly. I have a quad core Processor with 8 times the ram that the PS3 has and my cpu is 3.4ghz which gives me a total of 13.6ghz processing power towards 9.6ghz of the ps3. I can shut down most processes in the background and have most games run smoother than a babies behind. Also I have an Nvidia 8800GTX which has 768mb graphics ram towards the PS3's measly 256mb ram. Now if you technically knew the way computers work you would know that even though the PS3 doesnt have a proper OS it is still very restricted to what it can do. If the PS3 was a godly machine that you think it was you would see those 100 cars but you dont. Its technically impossible to have 100 cars on the track. Its all down to the PS3's hardware.

LOL you speak as if the PS3 is better than it is. Of course theres things that are impossible on the PS3. Theres a 9 core processor but only 3 cores are unlocked in the PS3 which restricts it greatly. I have a quad core Processor with 8 times the ram that the PS3 has and my cpu is 3.4ghz which gives me a total of 13.6ghz processing power towards 9.6ghz of the ps3. I can shut down most processes in the background and have most games run smoother than a babies behind. Also I have an Nvidia 8800GTX which has 768mb graphics ram towards the PS3's measly 256mb ram. Now if you technically knew the way computers work you would know that even though the PS3 doesnt have a proper OS it is still very restricted to what it can do. If the PS3 was a godly machine that you think it was you would see those 100 cars but you dont. Its technically impossible to have 100 cars on the track. Its all down to the PS3's hardware.

my,my,my your post is a full of mistakes: PS3 has 512 mb RAm divided into 2 parts one for the RSX the graphics chip 256 mb DDR3 et 256 mb XDR for the Cell at 3.2Ghz(PPE) .The Cell has 8 core of which one is inactive and another one dedicated for the OS = 6 cores available for development .Polyphony are already using those cores (SPU) for GT5 P how many ? don't know but you're not wrong the PS3 can not handle 100 cars at such a level !

Is was on the ring this weekend an the simulator was really nice.
And the best of all, i've had the luck to meet mr. yamauchi :)

DSC00377.jpg

I have already held my horses in the last sentence of my writing But now, PD is squeezing PS3 only in graphics. And cell processor has huge multicore parallel power not unleashed yet. Adding the fact that all opponents are calculated only in standard physics, fact that you will not see no more than 16 opponents at once on the track and even that those further away could be rendered in much worse graphics to spare performance for closer ones and you will come to the point where nothing is impossible in GT on PS3. Network code is still weak point but there are programmers to solve it and PD has the funds to pay for their services. We'll see

I have no idea if what you're saying about the potential of the PS3 is true, but even if it is, there are a lot of areas where I would prefer PD to put their time & resources (let's start with refining the online experience, improving AI, collision physics & adding damage) rather than on adding dozens more cars to a track.

Is was on the ring this weekend an the simulator was really nice.
And the best of all, i've had the luck to meet mr. yamauchi :)

DSC00377.jpg

Nice picture!! Hopefully in the years to follow, i'll be able to go there to and take some great pictures! :)

Thanks. It was so cool to talk with mr. yamauchi. He's really really nice. And the nissan GT-R is wonderfull.
The picture was taken directly on the racetrack where only marshals are allowed. (i'm one of them ^^)

Thats awesome!! I can't believe you met him. Lucky man.

my,my,my your post is a full of mistakes: PS3 has 512 mb RAm divided into 2 parts one for the RSX the graphics chip 256 mb DDR3 et 256 mb XDR for the Cell at 3.2Ghz(PPE) .The Cell has 8 core of which one is inactive and another one dedicated for the OS = 6 cores available for development .Polyphony are already using those cores (SPU) for GT5 P how many ? don't know but you're not wrong the PS3 can not handle 100 cars at such a level !

No its only got 3 active cores not 7. You've just proven me right about the ram. You cannot say the PS3 has 512mb of ram. If that was the case I could say I have 2816mb of ram in my rig. But I dont. Theres 256 mb system ram and 256mb graphics ram in the PS3 while I have 2048 mb DDR2 system ram and 768mb DDR3 graphics ram.

Thanks. It was so cool to talk with mr. yamauchi. He's really really nice. And the nissan GT-R is wonderfull.
The picture was taken directly on the racetrack where only marshals are allowed. (i'm one of them ^^)

Well, did you ask him if we'll get the Nordschleife track soon :) Congrats- I guess it's like meeting god himself :)

Nice find Chronos.

It'd be nice to see someone actually get round without stuffing it though

No its only got 3 active cores not 7.

frank-jaeger is correct. His info on the PS3 specs matches what I've heard from friends in the industry as well as readily available information. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3:
The PlayStation 3 uses the IBM-designed Cell microprocessor as its CPU, utilizing seven of the eight "synergistic processing elements" (often shortened to SPE). The eighth SPE is disabled to improve chip yields i.e. chips do not have to be discarded if one of the SPEs is defective. Only six of the seven SPEs are accessible to developers as one is reserved by the OS. Graphics processing is handled by the NVIDIA RSX, which can output resolutions from 480i/576i SD up to 1080p HD. The PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX.

No its only got 3 active cores not 7. You've just proven me right about the ram. You cannot say the PS3 has 512mb of ram. If that was the case I could say I have 2816mb of ram in my rig. But I dont. Theres 256 mb system ram and 256mb graphics ram in the PS3 while I have 2048 mb DDR2 system ram and 768mb DDR3 graphics ram.

sorry but i think your thinking of the XB360 that only has 3 cores. these are the specs that you can find from the FCC, IMB and sony itself

CPU: Cell Processor

* PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz (Prototype ran at 4.66Ghz)
> 64 bit, "Power Architecture" processor
> Dual issue, dual threaded, in-order processor.
> 235 square mm
> 235 million transistors
> Rambus XDR and FlexIO technology allow up to 100 gigabyte/s memory transfer rates.
> 90nm Process CMOS SOI
> 65nm CMOS SOI Process Started March 07
- 6GHz at 1.3V
- Dual power supply; enhances SRAM stability and performance using an elevated array-specific power supply, while reducing the logic power consumption.
> Power consumption has been estimated at 60 - 80 Watts at 4 GHz
* 9 Core CPU
> 1 Power Processor Element (PPE) - Acts as Controller (PowerPC Core)
> The PPE is dual threaded
> 8 Synergistic Processor Elements (SPEs) with 256KB "Local Stores" per Core
> Each SPE capable of 32 GigaFlops (32 bit)
* 1 VMX vector unit per core
* 512KB L2 cache
* 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
> 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
> 6 SPE used for game applications
* 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
* 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* Element Interconnect Bus (EIB)
* Direct Memory Access Controller (DMAC).
* 2 Rambus XDR memory controllers
* Rambus FlexIO (Input / Output) interface
* Test and Debug Logic
* Total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
* Capable of running at speeds beyond 4 GHz

* Synergistic Processor Elements (SPEs)

An SPE is a self contained vector processor which acts as an independent processor. They each contain 128 x 128 bit registers, there are also 4 (single precision) floating point units capable of 32 GigaFLOPS* and 4 Integer units capable of 32 GOPS (Billions of integer Operations per Second) at 4GHz. The SPEs also include a small 256 Kilobyte local store instead of a cache. According to IBM a single SPE (which is just 15 square millimetres and consumes less than 5 Watts at 4GHz) can perform as well as a top end (single core) desktop CPU given the right task.

*This is counting Multiply-Adds which count as 2 instructions, hence 4GHz x 4 x 2 = 32 GFLOPS. 32 X 8 SPEs = 256 GFLOPS

Like the PPE the SPEs are in-order processors and have no Out-Of-Order capabilities. This means that as with the PPE the compiler is very important. The SPEs do however have 128 registers and this gives plenty of room for the compiler to unroll loops and use other techniques which largely negate the need for OOO hardware.

as you can see the developers can use 6 of the cells for processing of in game code. now if PD is using all 6 cells is unknown.

Any way I can't wait to hammer round the Nordschleife.

As long as I've got a few horses under the hood I'll be happy

Any way I can't wait to hammer round the Nordschleife.

As long as I've got a few horses under the hood I'll be happy

I guess it'll be the F2007 then. Perhaps a GTR would be easier.....;)

I'd love to take a low HP, slow car around the track a couple of times just to take in the HD beauty of the track. Then, once I'm finished, I'm taking the F2007 around just to give myself a good thrill.

i still think the gt4 ring is by far the best. this will only be better i'd imagine.
i'd rather they fix the tire sounds honestly
👍 That weird high pitched screeching is awful. They put a lot of effort into capturing real engine noises, but the skidding sounds are awful.

Wow, some silly things I'm hearing here:

100 Cars:Are you guys insane? Possibly damaged in the brain? I'll just say I've yet to see any game, PS3 or 360, that has about 100 cars. Seriously, thats asking for way too much. If they are barely able to have 16 cars with lag, what makes you guys think it'll do better with 100? I'm not knowledgeable in computers, but there's only so much you can do so this is a very insane wish. Just Be grateful that 16 cars instead of six is even able to go around on track.

Tire Squeal: Again, Whats the big deal? Tire squeal is annoying in itself so how does it sound horrible on this game and not others? Maybe I haven't been to a real race(because I can't afford the tickets for any), but I can't fathom how Tire Squeal is so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back