I present to you: Nürburgring Nordschleife

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 5: Prologue' started by nissan tuner, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpgcyco

rpgcyco

I'll reply in a PM. No point in me polluting this thread.

2. herk

herk

Even still I believe the "host" of the online events is using their connection to act as the server, they have to receive all the data from all racers even if they're only sending it back out to each person based on what they can see. The host connection would still almost certainly choke.

Not that 100 cars wouldn't be incredible. :) Just extremely unlikely to be possible in this day and age with the average person's connection. 16 is pretty busy for me anyhow, although the ring could no doubt accommodate a lot more.

3. Biggles

Biggles

I have no idea why people want more cars online. In practice, you're generally only racing directly against 3 or 4 people - any more is just "filler". The races I have participated in, where there were 16 cars, always turn out to be out of control & laggy.

The important thing is to have a few drivers on the course that are actually competitive with you - that's what leads to a good race, not knowing there are another 10 - 90 (! :rolleyes:) somewhere way behind, or in front of you.

4. RedBaron

RedBaron

I have already held my horses in the last sentence of my writing :) But now, PD is squeezing PS3 only in graphics. And cell processor has huge multicore parallel power not unleashed yet. Adding the fact that all opponents are calculated only in standard physics, fact that you will not see no more than 16 opponents at once on the track and even that those further away could be rendered in much worse graphics to spare performance for closer ones and you will come to the point where nothing is impossible in GT on PS3. Network code is still weak point but there are programmers to solve it and PD has the funds to pay for their services. We'll see :sly:

5. steve30x

steve30x

LOL you speak as if the PS3 is better than it is. Of course theres things that are impossible on the PS3. Theres a 9 core processor but only 3 cores are unlocked in the PS3 which restricts it greatly. I have a quad core Processor with 8 times the ram that the PS3 has and my cpu is 3.4ghz which gives me a total of 13.6ghz processing power towards 9.6ghz of the ps3. I can shut down most processes in the background and have most games run smoother than a babies behind. Also I have an Nvidia 8800GTX which has 768mb graphics ram towards the PS3's measly 256mb ram. Now if you technically knew the way computers work you would know that even though the PS3 doesnt have a proper OS it is still very restricted to what it can do. If the PS3 was a godly machine that you think it was you would see those 100 cars but you dont. Its technically impossible to have 100 cars on the track. Its all down to the PS3's hardware.

6. frank-jaeger

frank-jaeger

my,my,my your post is a full of mistakes: PS3 has 512 mb RAm divided into 2 parts one for the RSX the graphics chip 256 mb DDR3 et 256 mb XDR for the Cell at 3.2Ghz(PPE) .The Cell has 8 core of which one is inactive and another one dedicated for the OS = 6 cores available for development .Polyphony are already using those cores (SPU) for GT5 P how many ? don't know but you're not wrong the PS3 can not handle 100 cars at such a level !

7. BloodyJesus

BloodyJesus

Is was on the ring this weekend an the simulator was really nice.
    And the best of all, i've had the luck to meet mr. yamauchi :)

[​IMG]

8. Biggles

Biggles

I have no idea if what you're saying about the potential of the PS3 is true, but even if it is, there are a lot of areas where I would prefer PD to put their time & resources (let's start with refining the online experience, improving AI, collision physics & adding damage) rather than on adding dozens more cars to a track.

9. DVA

DVA

Nice picture!! Hopefully in the years to follow, i'll be able to go there to and take some great pictures! :)

10. BloodyJesus

BloodyJesus

Thanks. It was so cool to talk with mr. yamauchi. He's really really nice. And the nissan GT-R is wonderfull.
    The picture was taken directly on the racetrack where only marshals are allowed. (i'm one of them ^^)

11. Motominded

Motominded

he speaks english?

12. BloodyJesus

BloodyJesus

A little bit ^^

13. L_Hamilton

L_Hamilton Premium

Thats awesome!! I can't believe you met him. Lucky man.

14. steve30x

steve30x

No its only got 3 active cores not 7. You've just proven me right about the ram. You cannot say the PS3 has 512mb of ram. If that was the case I could say I have 2816mb of ram in my rig. But I dont. Theres 256 mb system ram and 256mb graphics ram in the PS3 while I have 2048 mb DDR2 system ram and 768mb DDR3 graphics ram.

15. myke6699

myke6699

Well, did you ask him if we'll get the Nordschleife track soon :) Congrats- I guess it's like meeting god himself :)

16. BloodyJesus

BloodyJesus

No sorry, it was just a little small talk about the weekend. Because we both hadn't much time.

17. Chronos

Chronos

18. GTP_JASE72

GTP_JASE72

Nice find Chronos.

It'd be nice to see someone actually get round without stuffing it though

19. Vaxen

Vaxen Moderator

frank-jaeger is correct. His info on the PS3 specs matches what I've heard from friends in the industry as well as readily available information. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3:

20. NapoleonMikey

NapoleonMikey

sorry but i think your thinking of the XB360 that only has 3 cores. these are the specs that you can find from the FCC, IMB and sony itself

as you can see the developers can use 6 of the cells for processing of in game code. now if PD is using all 6 cells is unknown.

21. GTP_JASE72

GTP_JASE72

Any way I can't wait to hammer round the Nordschleife.

As long as I've got a few horses under the hood I'll be happy

22. Southend Rage

Southend Rage

I guess it'll be the F2007 then. Perhaps a GTR would be easier.....;)

23. GTP_JASE72

GTP_JASE72

I'm gonna try them all :sly:

24. GT_legends

GT_legends

i still think the gt4 ring is by far the best. this will only be better i'd imagine.
    i'd rather they fix the tire sounds honestly

25. 91hondawagon

91hondawagon

I'd love to take a low HP, slow car around the track a couple of times just to take in the HD beauty of the track. Then, once I'm finished, I'm taking the F2007 around just to give myself a good thrill.

26. Hyper-Dan

Hyper-Dan

Awesome, Thanks for that. :tup:

27. 91hondawagon

91hondawagon

:tup: That weird high pitched screeching is awful. They put a lot of effort into capturing real engine noises, but the skidding sounds are awful.

28. BloodyJesus

BloodyJesus

The best nordschleife so far is the one from rfactor / gtr 2.

29. nissan tuner

nissan tuner

those are 3rd party mods. PD's nurburgring is far more accurate

30. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Wow, some silly things I'm hearing here:

100 Cars:Are you guys insane? Possibly damaged in the brain? I'll just say I've yet to see any game, PS3 or 360, that has about 100 cars. Seriously, thats asking for way too much. If they are barely able to have 16 cars with lag, what makes you guys think it'll do better with 100? I'm not knowledgeable in computers, but there's only so much you can do so this is a very insane wish. Just Be grateful that 16 cars instead of six is even able to go around on track.

Tire Squeal: Again, Whats the big deal? Tire squeal is annoying in itself so how does it sound horrible on this game and not others? Maybe I haven't been to a real race(because I can't afford the tickets for any), but I can't fathom how Tire Squeal is so important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.