Jdk speedshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the point of reserving 3 posts for tunes?:odd: My bet is those posts would never have been used if I hadn't pointed this out.
Also, I disagree with mafs on Initial Torque.:P If Initial Torque only affected how abruptly power was put to the ground, then it would have no effect on how much turn the car has would it? I always took Initial Torque to be the amount of pre-set lock in the diff before taking acceleration or deceleration qualities into account. I've never even heard of a diff being able to affect the torque/power's timely delivery. Since Mafs is Mr Dominic Toretto in the flesh though I could be wrong.:lol::sly:

What is the point of reserving 3 posts for tunes?:odd: My bet is those posts would never have been used if I hadn't pointed this out.
Also, I disagree with mafs on Initial Torque.:P If Initial Torque only affected how abruptly power was put to the ground, then it would have no effect on how much turn the car has would it? I always took Initial Torque to be the amount of pre-set lock in the diff before taking acceleration or deceleration qualities into account. I've never even heard of a diff being able to affect the torque/power's timely delivery. Since Mafs is Mr Dominic Toretto in the flesh though I could be wrong.:lol::sly:

Yes, it is a preset for launching or when you put your foot down on the throttle in circuit racing Paulie. If it's set too low, it will take time for the power to feed through, if it's set too high, then it instantly takes effect and causes a lot more wheelspin than what is needed. For example, the chicane at GVS, when you hit the throttle after the right hander, if it's too low, then a delay occurs between you hitting the throttle and the power reaching the tyres, if it's too high, it will put more of the power down quicker and cause wheelspin out of the corner.

I think I still disagree with that though. Initial Torque IMO sets the pre-set lock in the diff, i.e. how much faster the outside wheel in a turn can turn as opposed to the inside wheel, or how much more torque can be sent to one wheel over the other. Set it low and the car can turn better but will be more prone to oversteer, set it higher and the torque will be more evenly spread between the wheels, and they will want to spin at more even speeds, making the car want to push straight but improving drive.

Which also makes me think a Fully Customisable LSD can't be set as a locker in GT4, unless the "50" rating means 50/50 for each wheel making a locker.

I think I still disagree with that though. Initial Torque IMO sets the pre-set lock in the diff, i.e. how much faster the outside wheel in a turn can turn as opposed to the inside wheel, or how much more torque can be sent to one wheel over the other. Set it low and the car can turn better but will be more prone to oversteer, set it higher and the torque will be more evenly spread between the wheels, and they will want to spin at more even speeds, making the car want to push straight but improving drive.

No, because that's the acceleration side of the LSD. Initial is for when you takeoff or begin to accelerate.

Which also makes me think a Fully Customisable LSD can't be set as a locker in GT4, unless the "50" rating means 50/50 for each wheel making a locker.

Nah, because the highest is "60" and that is almost like a locker, not quite but almost. :cool:

Still not sure if I follow you Mafs.:confused: When you begin to take-off you're accelerating.:odd:
Also, shouldn't a 1-way LSD, or 1.5-way, be the best for drag racing in GT4 then, since they would go full lock under full acceleration?

:

TOURNIQUETFAN probably cussed me out again, but then edited his posts afterwards. :lol:

Still not sure if I follow you Mafs.:confused: When you begin to take-off you're accelerating.:odd:
Yes, but allow me to explain it in this way........

Initial is for when you START to accelerate, when you put the power down where there is no power going through it currently. Like when you are rolling along at 40km/h no throttle, then you stamp on the throttle, or when you are at a complete standstill, the Initial side deals with that area with how quickly the power reaches the tyres. The Supra best illustrates this in part to it's peaky turbos, you can really demonstrate the difference in time for the power to hit the tyres.

Acceleration is for when you are ALREADY accelerating, like you already have your finger on the X button giving it some welly. So for example, last corner of GVS, you're accelerating through that corner, the stronger the LSD setting, the straighter the car will push and the weaker the setting, the more tendency to oversteer.

Also, shouldn't a 1-way LSD, or 1.5-way, be the best for drag racing in GT4 then, since they would go full lock under full acceleration?

No, you have to take into account the initial setting to minimise wheelspin off the line, that's why an FC-LSD is preferred by the drag racers. It's not much of a difference (on average say around .1 quicker on the 1/4 compared to a non-adjustable diff, some cars more, some cars less) but to people like me where every thousandth counts, it's worth it.

^Yea but that doesn't make sense for Gran Turismo drag racing. In real-life it's very possible for one tire to slip while another grips, even while drag racing in a straight line; therefore LSD tuning makes lots of sense. The driver needs to continue going in as straight a line as possible...any deviation from that line could easily spell disaster.

In the magical world of GT on the other hand, as long as the car takes off in a straight line, it will continue going in a straight line, especially if the track is level (rather than slighly banked). Therefore, LSD tuning shouldn't make any diff.

That's always been my take on it anyways. Then again, I don't do any serious virtual drag-racing.

^Yea but that doesn't make sense for Gran Turismo drag racing. In real-life it's very possible for one tire to slip while another grips, even while drag racing in a straight line; therefore LSD tuning makes lots of sense. The driver needs to continue going in as straight a line as possible...any deviation from that line could easily spell disaster.

In the magical world of GT on the other hand, as long as the car takes off in a straight line, it will continue going in a straight line, especially if the track is level (rather than slighly banked). Therefore, LSD tuning shouldn't make any diff.

That's always been my take on it anyways. Then again, I don't do any serious virtual drag-racing.

But it does on the 1/4, as the initial reduces wheelspin off the line, and the strength of the acceleration allows it to keep going faster for gearshifts and a minimal deceleration reduces any loss of speed during gearshifts.

But it does on the 1/4, as the initial reduces wheelspin off the line, and the strength of the acceleration allows it to keep going faster for gearshifts and a minimal deceleration reduces any loss of speed during gearshifts.

Mmmkay, I'll take your word for it. 💡 Guess I'll do some experimenting at some point as well.

So how does initial torque have any effect on the car's ability to turn then (And I'm 100% sure it did in GT4) if it only affects torque's application speed? That's like saying shockies will have an effect in a constant radius corner.

My take has always been initial torque affects the car while it's coasting (no gas, no brakes). Which is necessary for cars that get too swivelly mid-corner or off-road.

My take has always been initial torque affects the car while it's coasting (no gas, no brakes). Which is necessary for cars that get too swivelly mid-corner or off-road.

That's exactly one of the reasons, as I was mentioning with the no throttle bit.

Me too, but I also thought, or felt when I was tuning anyway, that it kind of acted as some sort of multiplier to Acceleration and Deceleratin values as well. I understand the Acceleration and Deceleration values completely, but I still don't understand how a differential can affect how quickly power gets to the wheels. Unless the diff has its own little torque converter inside.:sly:

Mafs, I hear what you're saying, I understand what you're saying, but I don't see with my limited knowledge on diffs how it's phsyically possible.

I wonder...what does "JDK" stand for?

I wonder, why does everyone talk about something that has nothing to do with this thread?

I wonder...what does "JDK" stand for?

Just Doing Krap? I dunno. Our host has taken another break from GTP, hopefully for good.

I wonder, why does everyone talk about something that has nothing to do with this thread?

:lol: Read the other 4 or 5 threads TURNIQUET FAN started to get a clue.

I dunno....we're just having chit-chat. Granted, it's all on topic, sort of. (GT tuning)

Just Doing Krap? I dunno. Our host has taken another break from GTP, hopefully for good.

I just thought it was spelt wrong. I thought it should have been joke speedshop. But that is just me. Wasn't this thread supposed to eventually fill out with tunes?

^Yep. But the conversation on LSD is just as good, I learned something and knocked two seconds off a lap at Apricot Hill with a tune since I actually know what LSD (Initial) does now :D

Yeh I had my dad's funeral to attend, and i apologize for anything I said to you Parnelli. I should not have said what I did to you and that makes me a terrible man, I was very childish

As far as Driftking goes I chose not to say.

Last edited:
Joshua i am very sorry to hear of your dad.i don't think words can describe your pain.its a big weight that you have dude.please take your time Joshua with everything.

Last edited:
Yeh I had my dad's funeral to attend, and i apologize for anything I said to you Parnelli. I should not have said what I did to you and that makes me a terrible man, I was very childish

:shrugs: Apology definately NOT accepted. I only offered you advice (which I still suggest) because I care about the future of this website, and I don't want to see it start looking like one of the many lesser sites around. And for this, you called me 'queer' and told me to 🤬 off, in so many words! :crazy: Whether or not you're a "terrible man", I can't say, but I'm not buying the funeral bit. I had a feeling (after your absence) you'd come back with some story to garner sympathy...I should know because back when the Internet was young (well over 10 years ago) I used to pull stunts all the time, believing anonymity would protect. It only goes so far, man. :ill: I'll probably get flamed for this, but I believe you are the worst sort of troll GTP has ever seen!

I hope you find Jesus, He loves you and he is always waiting. I love you to in the brother of christ. God bless you buddy.

I hope you find Jesus, He loves you and he is always waiting. I love you to in the brother of christ. God bless you buddy.

Forget that INTERPOL guy, I'm nominating TOURNIQUETFAN for a Darwin Award!

Okay kids, play nice now. I'd hate to report this thread just because some of you guys never got over their puberty.

Your subtlety is noticed Leo, but in response you aren't reading deeply enough at the whole picture.

That may be so, but this thing you guys have going on here is nothing short of being an e-bully. And some of you guys are old enough to understand that it's not productive nor entertaining for anyone with some sort of intelligence. You're better than this.. Thus, you should start acting like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back