Junior Formula. Discussion of F2, F3, F4, Formula Renault, TRS, W-Series, Indy Lights, etcOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 604 comments
Yikes, that's horrifying. I've seen many crashes, both in person and recorded, across many different autosports, and that's one of the few that really made my gut wrench.

I don't think he's going to give up though. I don't know *that* much about F4, but he looks like a very promising driver, and thankfully modern medicine has evolved to where he won't be missing out for too long. There will definitely be a period of shock and denial when he wakes up, and a period of learning how to walk and move around again with intense rehab, but I fully expect to read a news article on this site in 2 or 3 years about how he's back on top.

It could be worse, we have all a lucky chance (or two) for living this life. A new one begins for him and his family and I hope he will continue driving and racing if he wants, ... and enjoying everything.

Very sad incident. The dark side of motorsport. Best wishes to the young driver and I hope he'll recover and get over his injuries.

What things could have occurred to his legs to warrant amputation?
I believe having the bones broken in too many places and/or the soft tissue (muscles/tendons etc) being too damaged would do it.
Nerve damage is one of the main reasons as it can't be repaired, vascular trauma is also high on the list and then bone and soft tissue. A combination of all of these and you're in trouble.

It's very sad for anyone to go through this sort of thing at any stage but at least he has youth on his side. Young people tend to bounce back much quicker than us oldies and are very good at adapting. I hope all goes well for him and his family.

I wonder how the other driver is feeling knowing that's happened to Billy. Obviously it's not his fault, there was absolutely no way he'd have been able to avoid him but this must weigh on his mind going forward.

Obviously it's not his fault

If it seems that he had the opportunity to park off the track then a strong question needs to be asked... I'll admit to having no idea about how the car came to rest where it did so I guess I was looking for clarification.

He spun just moments before the accident I'm pretty sure, and came to rest still on the track.

Which would make sense.

I presume the section was therefore under double-waved-yellow?

EDIT: I'm reading that the crash happened under a red flag - is that correct?

As brave as that is, he should first focus on recovering and getting his life back on track. Racing comes second.

But what happened to the flag guys.. No yellow flags?!
According to Forix he was 8 seconds behind at the start line so it would probably only be a couple of seconds between the car coming to a stop and the crash, depending on the position of the marshal posts there probably wasn't time to get a yellow flag out.

There were several stickers for Billy at the Thruxton test today:

I believe the Dunlop front numberplates at the next BTCC round - also Thruxton - will have the #BillyWhizz signage instead.

It's a bit odd knowing I saw one of Monger's first car races as well as one of his last, at least for now. Perverse as it sounds, I do wonder if this could be one of the best things to happen for his career - this might seem harsh but in all honesty whilst he seemed reasonably good he never struck me as exceptional. As awful as this accident was, if he's able to start driving again it could be the making of him.

If it seems that he had the opportunity to park off the track then a strong question needs to be asked... I'll admit to having no idea about how the car came to rest where it did so I guess I was looking for clarification.

Well I watched the whole incident live on TV, and when they switched to Monger's on board camera, he was catching a gaggle of cars ahead which were jostling for position, and there didn't seem to be any flags being waved from what could be seen on TV, which would suggest that Pasma's car had only just stopped (hence the lack of notice), whether it was due to a mechanical failure or he spun.

Not much can be really said about the incident sine how Pasma came to rest on track wasn't seen on TV, as there's no other angles of the crash on TV, except the on-board of Mongers car, which is only view of the crash (with the exception of any spectator footage, which I don't believe there is).

As far as I see it, blame can't be attributed to either driver, as it was simply an incredibly unlucky accident, whereby either driver was not aware of each other's whereabouts, and at that speed, and with the number of cars there at the time, there nothing Monger or Pasma could've done, especially in such a sort space of time, as everything happened so fast.

EDIT: I'm reading that the crash happened under a red flag - is that correct?

No, the race was very quickly red flagged after the crash, and thus ended.

I was watching the broadcast on ITV4 when it happened. Sorry to hear that he was so badly hurt. I hope to see him come back from this and maybe take Alex Zanardi as an inspiration.

Hard but not impossible. Not sure about Formula racing, but BMW has proven its capable to adapting hand controls to a GT car.
Hand controls aren't necessary for double below knee amputees, they're quite capable of driving with no modifications at all, at the very worst he might have to use a duck clutch if he doesn't have enough space for his leg movement in the cockpit. He could be back behind the wheel in less than six months if all goes well, which I most certainly hope it does, having the funding will most likely be one of his biggest hurdles.

Hope if he gets back to racing he doesn't get into another accident and lose another limb. That would be very unlucky.
Wishing him all the best. Will take some time physically and mentally.

Another good F3 race, that was not quite enough for Norris, he would have needed 1-2 more laps to gain 1st place again but Erikson was very fast in the beginning. Schumacher on a great 3rd place, that makes 2 rookies on the overall podium.

Back