Kei Central

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 816 comments
Have some Itasha Kei then:

maxresdefault.jpg

Or go that one step further and cross it with Bosozoku (this used to be an Alto):

yanky-mate-alto-got-itasha.jpg

5d53a205e589a7f96c024906bc2521b2.jpg

b77130d523deed995685ded493c7bb7a.jpg

c594669fc5bcc559a2e408ebf8c5e679--vol.jpg

18nc0dlfvx6rvjpg.jpg

cosmall2017_22.jpg

Yup! As awesome all the Sports cars and hatchbacks are, it's the vans that draw me most towards this car category.
I think it's just generally the variety for me.

The cars I distinctly remember getting me into kei cars were the AZ1/Beat/Cappuccino trio (primarily the Cappu, as that's the one we officially got in the UK back in the day), the Midget II as it was in Gran Turismo 2 (so I would have become aware of it in early 2000 when that game released in Europe), and the Suzuki Wagon R RR from reading a feature of James May driving one in Japan. Probably again in the late 90s or early 2000s.

view-more-pics-of-1999-suzuki-wagon-r-rr-_cf2c1.jpg

It's because the sector is rigidly controlled by dimensions and engine capacity rather than market forces it's essentially a little market in itself. You get all the cars you normally would in the wider market (hatchbacks, crossovers, sports cars, commercial vehicles etc) but all within this one particular segment. I really wish the rules were adopted elsewhere so more of these vehicles were widely available.

I think it's just generally the variety for me.

The cars I distinctly remember getting me into kei cars were the AZ1/Beat/Cappuccino trio (primarily the Cappu, as that's the one we officially got in the UK back in the day), the Midget II as it was in Gran Turismo 2 (so I would have become aware of it in early 2000 when that game released in Europe), and the Suzuki Wagon R RR from reading a feature of James May driving one in Japan. Probably again in the late 90s or early 2000s.

It's because the sector is rigidly controlled by dimensions and engine capacity rather than market forces it's essentially a little market in itself. You get all the cars you normally would in the wider market (hatchbacks, crossovers, sports cars, commercial vehicles etc) but all within this one particular segment. I really wish the rules were adopted elsewhere so more of these vehicles were widely available.

Absolutely. I think a similar formula, perhaps slightly altered for the needs of each region, would be a fantastic counterpoint to the current trend of ever-growing and less practical cars.

It might be essential to get manufacturers to lower their fleet emissions and stop them from making SUVs the size they have become in Europe.

Back