left foot brake,yes or no?

• Thread starter kart racer
  • 98 comments

do you left foot brake?

• Total voters
In the game, always.

In real life, never.

It's much faster to go from throttle to brake with LFB, plus it's way easier to use throttle and brake together with LFB. I can't imagine trying to heel-and-toe with the crappy DFGT pedals.

LFB for me.

you can simulate the heel-toe technique that the real guys use

I did move my pedal plate and did some laps in the NSX @ Suzuka on N3's (truly great combo imo) with Left Footing it like I did when I had a DFP. I can do it and it feels comfortable, may just have to adjust the rest of my cockpit slightly. I will vote when I know for certain 👍 cool poll thread!

Jerome

I can't believe there are so many people using LFB! Years of RL car driving make this a no-no for me - maybe that's why I'm so slow in GT5P... :indiff:
The weird thing is: I drive my real car (350z, manual) the 'normal' way: right foot gas and brake , left foot clutch. But ingame I use strictly left foot braking. The weird thing is it feels very unnatural if I try to right foot brake with the G25 and I have never tried (or had the urge) to left foot brake in my real car.

It also doesn't help that the G25 pedals are wrongly placed. There is a large gap between gas and brake, while the clutch and brake are very close together. This makes it more natural to use left foot braking, especially when using a wheelstand with a pole in the middle, since this allows easier access to the middle pedal with your left foot than your right.

Yes I left foot brake whenever I can, even when I use the G25 with the clutch enabled, I will right foot brake on sections that require the use of clutch and switch to left foor brake on sections that don't require the clutch.

I do left foot brake quite a lot in real life too when I am pushing it. (manual or auto)

I don't in real life. My personal vehicle is a 4x4 truck. LFB'ing just isn't a good idea on the commute to and from work. If I owned something sportier, I might do it if I was comfortable with the car and felt froggy.

As far as in-game though, it feels perfectly natural to LFB and maintain my right foot on the accelerator. I'm still having trouble with mis-shifts when using the clutch on my g25. So, I'm using the up/down shift mode (not proud of that but I have to in order to stay on the track). LFB'ing works pretty good with that shifting mode though. Before mis-shifts really became an issue a while back, I was practicing some heel-toe pedal work and just beginning to get comfortable with it. It was exciting to be able to keep revs up during a downshift sequence and be able to get back to the throttle so quick exiting a turn. Ah well. Maybe it'll get patched one of these days and I can get back to it.

YES. When I raced karts, I obviously braked with my left foot, and when I raced Dirt, I braked with my left foot; which I never realized was possible with a manual until I caught myself doing it during a heat race. But when I drive normally (my street car) I brake with my right foot. So, to anyone who goes by the books, Its EXTREMLY common to brake with your left foot. Good thread. 👍

In the game, always.

In real life, never.

It's much faster to go from throttle to brake with LFB, plus it's way easier to use throttle and brake together with LFB. I can't imagine trying to heel-and-toe with the crappy DFGT pedals.

you can't use heel-and-toe using the dfgt wheel because you don't have a clutch...

i have driven some cars in real life with pddle shift gearing(bmw m3,vw gti,ferrari f430,etc...) where i actually use left foot braking...it feels wierd at first,but after a while i got used to it and use it to steady the car in corners when i dont whant to loose power on the drivetrain,but want to slow the car down(or steady it) just a little in mid corners....if i want to brake hard before the entrance of a corner i use my right foot as i still have the most "feel" of the car that way ...
as i said,it takes a little practice,but when mastered ITS A LOT OF FUN...:)

spyrrari.

LFB techniqe is when you brake while throttle, whery usefull in high speed brake (to maintain control) and to get that good turn in. take away LFB from me and you take away seconds from my lap!

Ah yeah, I've started doing that at Daytona, very handy. Just little taps here and there to get rid of any excess speed into the turns (needed when driving a GT40!).

Never LFB before, but reading this thread it seems to have a performance advantage. I will have to give it a go and see:tup:

you can't use heel-and-toe using the dfgt wheel because you don't have a clutch...

Well, strictly speaking, you can heel-and-toe since it means using your right foot to operate both brake and throttle at the same time. But you are right that the "normal" application for this is when shifting because your left foot is occupied with the clutch.

Another example of LFB in real racing is NASCAR, since they usually don't shift once up to speed they just work the brake with the left foot.

When I first made this thread it was about gaming, but after reading your posts it has made a better thread.In real life I have used it on the street during emergency situations.It has saved my bacon more than once.Due,I beleive,to my racing background.I just react faster with my left.:)

I don't in real life. My personal vehicle is a 4x4 truck. LFB'ing just isn't a good idea on the commute to and from work. If I owned something sportier, I might do it if I was comfortable with the car and felt froggy.

Yeah well I don't LFB all that much on normal commuting (though sometimes I find myself do it natuarally) but when I push through sections I often do the get a greater balance and smoother transition, though not possible on many corners due to needing clutch use.

Most rally drivers develop the tecnique and other racers too (while in clutch operated cars not just karts), I know Walter Rohrl, Colin Mcrae and even touring car driver Russel Ingall LFB's as much as they can.

Last edited:
In game i brake with my middle leg ;););) ( i wish lol)

Seriously though, left foot in game, right foot in real life.

Last edited:
I never left foot brake........ feels completely unnatural for me, and my times are nowhere near what i can achieve by standard braking with the right foot.

Go Karting, yes completely. GT5:P...... nope.

with my dfp i only did LFB, but since i have my g25 thigs have become a little more complicated...

When im driving a semi-automatic /sequential like the 430 its LFB all the way, but when its a "standard" car i only do it (naturally) in those corners where you dont have to shift down.

It takes some time to get used to, but when it finally works, it is definitely the fastet way round the track for for both types 👍

Last edited:
LFB in games-yes.

LFB in daily driving-no. I can do it, but it takes practice to modulate the pedal correctly. With my right foot it's unconscious.

The left is meant for the clutch not the brake. I'd be scared driving with my foot on the brake because I tend to make a reflex and make a mistake as it has happened to me when my dad took me out to teach me standard a few days ago.

...use it to steady the car in corners when i dont whant to loose power on the drivetrain,but want to slow the car down(or steady it) just a little in mid corners....if i want to brake hard before the entrance of a corner i use my right foot as i still have the most "feel" of the car that way ...

+1

I also use it to control wheelspin in FWD cars... helps stop the inside wheel spinning. And to get the nose of FWD cars to tuck back in when it starts to run wide.

In some FWD cars I've also changed down sans clutch, but only normally in hire cars!

I'm starting to think that LFB is (one of) the reasons I may be slow. :nervous: Any Div 1 guys definitely NOT using LFB?

There are a few in D1 using the pad... not sure how easy lfb (left finger braking) is.

I'm starting to think that LFB is (one of) the reasons I may be slow. :nervous: Any Div 1 guys definitely NOT using LFB?

I'm Div 1 and I don't LFB. Unless I can do it in a real car I dont want to get in the habit of doing it in the game. Whenever I have tried in a real car I feel like I'm barely touching the brake pedal with my left foot but I'm slamming the brakes on.

I'm Div 1 and I don't LFB. Unless I can do it in a real car I dont want to get in the habit of doing it in the game. Whenever I have tried in a real car I feel like I'm barely touching the brake pedal with my left foot but I'm slamming the brakes on.

thats how it feels at first(in a real car..)its something you have to really practice,sure the first time you do it you overbrake it,but after some practice you will find it quite usefull...
i have had plenty of situations racing some guy somewhere in a simular powered car both him and me having good skills in driving,but than outdriving him because of just having better controll over the car in limit situations...
this is offcourse not only because of left foot braking,but surely because i have "played" with the car more...
most guys who i meet can drive fast,but seem to loose it on that critical moment when the car starts to get loose or over its limits...they just panic a bit and slide wide or overbrake or tend to get locked on the steering wheel...
its all practice and really try to "feel" what the car is telling you and than react smoothly and with confidence you have it under controll all the way!!!....

good tip:try driving on a sandy road or in the snow....you dont have to go fast or risk anything,but you can really feel what the car does when you try to get it out of a spin or when your brakes lock etc etc etc.....just get the feel for your car when it does things it normally doesnt....and he,its a lot of fun too..!!!:):)👍

spyrrari.

I'm Div 1 and I don't LFB. Unless I can do it in a real car I dont want to get in the habit of doing it in the game.Whenever I have tried in a real car I feel like I'm barely touching the brake pedal with my left foot but I'm slamming the brakes on.

That's my concern: I spend so much time with my G25, I don't want to pick up "bad habits" that will confuse me in an emergency IRL. I already find myself frequently reaching for the gear shift in my automatic car! :nervous:

However, I can see that LFB would be a significant advantage in certain situations, for example, through the esses in Suzuka where you want to keep steady pressure on the throttle while applying a hint of braking - the time that you take to lift off the throttle & move to the brake is time lost.

This is not so significant in racing, where losing a few hundredths is rarely significant, but in TTs I can see it making a difference.

thats how it feels at first(in a real car..)its something you have to really practice,sure the first time you do it you overbrake it,but after some practice you will find it quite usefull...
i have had plenty of situations racing some guy somewhere in a simular powered car both him and me having good skills in driving,but than outdriving him because of just having better controll over the car in limit situations...
this is offcourse not only because of left foot braking,but surely because i have "played" with the car more...
most guys who i meet can drive fast,but seem to loose it on that critical moment when the car starts to get loose or over its limits...they just panic a bit and slide wide or overbrake or tend to get locked on the steering wheel...
its all practice and really try to "feel" what the car is telling you and than react smoothly and with confidence you have it under controll all the way!!!....

good tip:try driving on a sandy road or in the snow....you dont have to go fast or risk anything,but you can really feel what the car does when you try to get it out of a spin or when your brakes lock etc etc etc.....just get the feel for your car when it does things it normally doesnt....and he,its a lot of fun too..!!!
spyrrari.

I'm driving a Toyota Sienna - on the whole I try & avoid "limit situations" ;)

Back