left foot brake,yes or no?

• Thread starter kart racer
  • 98 comments

do you left foot brake?

• Total voters
does the left foot brake's advantage only pertain to the focus RS because of its differential?
or is it all FF cars in general?...

I've never done anything but RFB, real life or GT. It just doesn't feel right to use my left foot for anything but the clutch.

it makes a lot of scene to use it on certain cars. I tried using it today on the 599, and it turns much better. I'm pretty sure it depends on the car.

Im hopefully going to buy a wheel very shortly and because I can't afford the G25 I have been thinking about how to use the brake. I then come to the conclusion that during my karting days I used to use my left foot to brake so this will feel natural when using the wheel.

I have left foot braked ever since I got my first racing wheel & i doubt id be very good if i was using my right foot for it. In real life i drive a manual, so its right foot braking there but they both feel natural in their own environment. LFB for sims, RFB for real life. I have driven an auto a little bit & have wanted to use my left foot to brake, although I've been told off & warned not to do it, I have no idea why though?

[supersonic-88];3168739
I have left foot braked ever since I got my first racing wheel & i doubt id be very good if i was using my right foot for it. In real life i drive a manual, so its right foot braking there but they both feel natural in their own environment. LFB for sims, RFB for real life. I have driven an auto a little bit & have wanted to use my left foot to brake, although I've been told off & warned not to do it, I have no idea why though?

As I understand it, the main reason instructors recommend against left foot braking with an auto transmission is that drivers tend to leave their foot resting on the brake pedal, leaving it partially engaged. This activates the brake lights (which can be confusing for following cars) and also causes other obvious issues with fuel economy and so forth.

As I understand it, the main reason instructors recommend against left foot braking with an auto transmission is that drivers tend to leave their foot resting on the brake pedal, leaving it partially engaged. This activates the brake lights (which can be confusing for following cars) and also causes other obvious issues with fuel economy and so forth.
Ah makes sense now when I think about it, as when Im racing with my wheel, I usually leave my left foot resting on brake pedal which as you say, in a real car would lead to those issues. Cheers 👍

Ah makes sense now when I think about it, as when Im racing with my wheel, I usually leave my left foot resting on brake pedal which as you say, in a real car would lead to those issues. Cheers 👍

Yes so do I because I have a DFGT and its got no clutch pedal and I drive go karts as well. I'm 14 so I don't drive a car. Thats why I left foot brake.

I only left foot brake in an FF
some proffesional racers left foot brake in an FF, so that you wont understeer so much. but it depends on the car though

Again, only in an FF

Last edited:
A good racer uses both feet to race. This way you can get the most out of the car.

If I'm using 2 pedals, it's left foot braking. It takes time to move your right foot from pedal to pedal. If I'm using 3 pedals, it depends on whether or not I'm shifting while I'm braking.

Left in GT, right in my road car. If you get close to the limit on the road you're doing it wrong and I don't do track days, so I've never felt any need for LFB outside of games and karting. RFB in GT would feel weird and LFB in my real car would feel weird too.

2 pedals 2 feet a good reason to LFB...... 3 pedals RFB as this the most natural for me.

Left in GT, right in my road car. If you get close to the limit on the road you're doing it wrong and I don't do track days, so I've never felt any need for LFB outside of games and karting. RFB in GT would feel weird and LFB in my real car would feel weird too.

Yeah, this. If you're getting "close to the limit" when in your car on normal roads, get the hell off the roads.

I just modified my G25 pedals to swap the clutch and brake to facilitate LFB with my game seat as the chunky wheel column and closeness of the G25 Gas and Brake pedals made LFB uncomfortable.

Pedals modified, LFB all the way!

Seeing as I only had mt G25, 3 days ago I have not tried it yet, but having read this thread I am off now to gve it a whirl.

Tried it in my real car and it felt so un-natural.

No.
Most of my cars are manual trans and I use the left foot for the clutch. I use the right foot for heel toe shifting especially when I am road track racing.

Yes.
Left foot breaking helps me a lot, I think.
1) It makes transition from accelerator to breaks (and vice versa) faster.
2) It allows to do both at the same time (Ok, I'm aware of heel and toe techniques but I don't have coordination to do that :dunce:)

I do it all the time in GT5p, but in RL, i only do it when some guy driving behind me gets so close to me that he can't look ahead of me so I use my left foot to touch the brake and when he sees the red lights go on he thinks i'm braking so he has to go back again :D. However I don't do it while driving fast as I rather balance my car(FF) using the throttle only

LFB as much as possible in the game, even when playing with the clutch on. Like on the Suzuka esses for example, you don't need to clutch in there at all.

I do it all the time in GT5p, but in RL, i only do it when some guy driving behind me gets so close to me that he can't look ahead of me so I use my left foot to touch the brake and when he sees the red lights go on he thinks i'm braking so he has to go back again :D.

👍👍👍

Back